How much will we spend and who will we lose?

Goatboy

I don't quite understand why you think we will sell Schneiderlin or Clyne...seems crazy to me

In terms of outs, we will get £15 mill for Osvaldo and around £30 mill from Chelsea for Shaw...so assuming those 2 outs happen....we will have £45 mill in the kitty...plus the new deal given to Prem clubs which is worth more than ever before...so conceivably we could easily spend upwards of £40 mill on new players

We will sell Jos Hoiveld and hopefully Yoshida...plus lose Barnard, Sharp etc off the wage bill

We will have absolutely loads of space available against what was a thinning squad anyway...

what we need -

- Cork and Clyne need new deals

- We need two new left backs (one quality addition to replace Shaw and a back up)

- New GK to push Boruc...Frazer Forster would be ideal

- 2 new centre halves...one established International and one up and coming squad player

- 2 new attacking midfielders...with pace, something we don't have much off

- 2 new strikers...one quality striker...bags of pace and a finisher and one young gun, to push from the bench

overall we probably need about 7 new players in the squad...it is a season where we need to improve the overall quality of the squad depth

We should have plenty of money available to achieve this...and the much vaunted scouting system needs to start producing

This is a critical window and we need to get it right

I don't quite understand why you think we will sell Schneiderlin or Clyne...seems crazy to me

In terms of outs, we will get £15 mill for Osvaldo and around £30 mill from Chelsea for Shaw...so assuming those 2 outs happen....we will have £45 mill in the kitty...plus the new deal given to Prem clubs which is worth more than ever before...so conceivably we could easily spend upwards of £40 mill on new players

We will sell Jos Hoiveld and hopefully Yoshida...plus lose Barnard, Sharp etc off the wage bill

We will have absolutely loads of space available against what was a thinning squad anyway...

what we need -

- We need two new left backs (one quality addition to replace Shaw and a back up)

- 2 new centre halves...one established International and one up and coming squad player

- 2 new strikers...one quality striker...bags of pace and a finisher and one young gun, to push from the bench

overall we probably need about 7 new players in the squad...it is a season where we need to improve the overall quality of the squad depth

We should have plenty of money available to achieve this...and the much vaunted scouting system needs to start producing

Might Clyne himself not be pushing for a move this summer? He would want and expect first team football, not starting on the bench most weeks, so it's understandable if he looks around and pushes for that himself.

what we need -

It could be argued that our scouting network hasn't been particularly impressive of late, but then every club is after a hidden bargain somewhere. Edited by Sour Mash

It's pretty clear where we have gaps and need to strengthen but assuming that will guide our spending choices is futile without knowing KL's motivations and objectives.

Those who believe that nothing has changed and we may have a window like last summer (£30m net spend) are living in lalaland IMO.

Edited by shurlock

It's pretty clear where we have gaps and need to strengthen but speculating in any real detail is futile without knowing KL's motivations and objectives.

Still those who believe that nothing has changed and we may have a window similar to last summer are living in lalaland IMO.

We might just have a bit better idea when we see the accounts to last June 30 which should be out at the start of next month I think. I'm sure that someone will trawl them up from Companies House for us. Not that I'm particulary au-fait with these things but I'd say that the size of the dividend paid to "shareholders" last year might tell us large about the owners intentions. Is that right you money men ? We reduced share capital ie KLs loans converted into equity to pay a dividend to err KL. The size of that operation might tell us something right ?

It's pretty clear where we have gaps and need to strengthen but speculating in any real detail is futile without knowing KL's motivations and objectives.

Still those who believe that nothing has changed and we may have a window similar to last summer (£30m net spend) are living in lalaland IMO.

To put this in to context Liverpool (a side Cortese and dreamers believed we could overtake) happily lost £50 Million this year and will continiue to buy, they have not had Champions League football for years and no trophies, we spend £30 Million (which is the cheeseboard to these clubs) and expect to dine at the top table?

Lets get real.

For some reason Lallana to Manchester United seems plausible to me. I don't think Adam has any great desire to move, but it just seems like the kind of slightly odd panic buy that Moyes would do while Chelsea and Man City are out buying the biggest megastars from the WC. If United lob 25 mil at us we probably would sell.

Which, weirdly, might see us keep Shaw one more season...or I might just be mental.

If we can stabilise the club hierarchy I think that we could do.

To put this in to context Liverpool (a side Cortese and dreamers believed we could overtake) happily lost £50 Million this year and will continiue to buy, they have not had Champions League football for years and no trophies, we spend £30 Million (which is the cheeseboard to these clubs) and expect to dine at the top table?

Lets get real.

There is an article in the Telegraph today suggesting that Liverpool may be denied a CL place because of breaching Fair Play rules. Make of that what you will.

It's pretty clear where we have gaps and need to strengthen but assuming that will guide our spending choices is futile without knowing KL's motivations and objectives.

Those who believe that nothing has changed and we may have a window like last summer (£30m net spend) are living in lalaland IMO.

A net spend of £30m might be unlikely, but if we reinvest what we receive for Osvaldo, then spend another £16-20m, that's potentially quite a good summer in my eyes.

A net spend of £30m might be unlikely, but if we reinvest what we receive for Osvaldo, then spend another £16-20m, that's potentially quite a good summer in my eyes.

Yep, that's exactly how i see it. c£30m spent on 3 quality players and Osvaldo out for £10-£12m leaving a net spend of £18. Not unreasonable for any midtable club. Lallaland apparently. :rolleyes:

We might just have a bit better idea when we see the accounts to last June 30 which should be out at the start of next month I think. I'm sure that someone will trawl them up from Companies House for us. Not that I'm particulary au-fait with these things but I'd say that the size of the dividend paid to "shareholders" last year might tell us large about the owners intentions. Is that right you money men ? We reduced share capital ie KLs loans converted into equity to pay a dividend to err KL. The size of that operation might tell us something right ?

Not sure that will say alot - she could forego a dividend or pay herself a trivial one and could still be keen to sell (as an extreme example), knowing ultimately she'll enjoy the capital appreciation of the asset/club. Moreover she has outside sources of income, so needn't draw anything from the club. Of course that doesn't mean she has plans to invest further in it.

Edited by shurlock

Will KL sell?

For me, the jury's out

Will we have a new manager?

Highly likely

Can we keep our young players together?

No. Shaw will go, Lallana possibly. Rickie may go for one last fling/pay-day, but then he might stay depending on who management and tactics are, we might even see Morgan J-Rod and Clyne go. Hopefully Gashy will bog off and then all the cuckolding will stop. I really wish NC was still here to protect the squad....

Will we see any return of/on Osvaldo?

Reckon we'll be stuck with him for a while because Juve wont take up the option. Maybe we'll find another hapless mug Serie A club in desperation for a striker.

Overall, pretty positive then. :?

Many people are assuming MP will be leaving, what is the thinking behind that?

There is an article in the Telegraph today suggesting that Liverpool may be denied a CL place because of breaching Fair Play rules. Make of that what you will.

That wont happen at all, I dont know but I would assume as one of the Worlds largest clubs them being in it makes them money so it will happen, Manchester City have not given a hoot about it have they? PSG?

Not sure that will say alot - she could forego a dividend or pay herself a trivial one and could still be keen to sell (as an extreme example), knowing ultimately she'll enjoy the capital appreciation of the asset/club. Moreover she has outside sources of income, so needn't draw anything from the club even if she doesn't plan to invest further in it.

Well someone extreme erudite financial wizard explained it all to us the other day, can't remember his name or exactly what was said but we definitely reduced share capital to pay a dividend last year. Why would a self sufficient and presumably large majority shareholder actually do that whilst the club has been borrowing money from the BVI ? Wish I could find the post.

That would be an excellent summer but also an unlikely one - it would make us one of the top spenders in the league.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2553796/Proof-money-buys-happiness-Manchester-City-Chelsea-Manchester-United-net-spend-charts.html

Indeed if we sold Shaw and Osvaldo -say for £40-45m- I would be surprised if we spent all of it. At the some point, there must be a concern that a manager or board will misallocate such a large amount, even it is generated from sales.

That would be an excellent summer but also an unlikely one - it would make us one of the top spenders in the league.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2553796/Proof-money-buys-happiness-Manchester-City-Chelsea-Manchester-United-net-spend-charts.html

Indeed if we sold Shaw and Osvaldo -say for £40-45m- I would be surprised if we spent all of it. At the some point, there must be a concern that a manager or board will misallocate such a large amount, even it is generated from sales.

What do you mean 'one of the top spenders'? Who would we be out ranking that would surprise you? How much do you think we'll spend? I'm assuming we don't sell Shaw, partly because I think we won't and partly it makes this exercise a bit clearer.

I think we'll sell Shaw and Osvaldo. Schneiderlin and Clyne may be tempted to move on for International recognition and First team football respectively but I doubt we'd be interested in selling.

It would be good if we could get Domenico Berardi as part of the deal of selling Osvaldo to Juventus. But I suspect they'd rather keep Berardi and not even sign Osvaldo permanently. Doesn't look like Ogbonna is a regular starter for Juventus also.

Maybe we could sign Gary Hooper in a cut price deal if Norwich went down - wouldn't sign him if they stayed up though, wouldn't be value for money.

Anyone spied any decent left backs if we let Shaw go?

I'd happily take Everton &/or Arsenal's 'failure' if I'm honest.

Yep, that's exactly how i see it. c£30m spent on 3 quality players and Osvaldo out for £10-£12m leaving a net spend of £18. Not unreasonable for any midtable club. Lallaland apparently. :rolleyes:

I suspect our transfer budget (and wages we can afford to give new players) will be offset a bit by new contracts which are owed to players. Rodriguez is contractually obliged a new deal as he has now made 45 appearances. Cork (if he wants to stay) is due a new deal. Many of our younger players on long term contracts should (unless the contract conditions aren't the norm) have wage accelerators in them associated with appearances and age. I am not sure how long is left on the deals of players like Gallagher, Reed, Targett etc. but anything less than 2 years means it is time to tie them down if the club believe they have a first team future.

I think it is a given that Osvaldo will leave and we will sign a new striker. The rest is hard to predict both in terms of departures and arrivals regardless of obvious needs.

What do you mean 'one of the top spenders'? Who would we be out ranking that would surprise you? How much do you think we'll spend? I'm assuming we don't sell Shaw, partly because I think we won't and partly it makes this exercise a bit clearer.

Am saying that £16-20m net a season (assuming we don't spend next Jan) is alot of money (see the table - puts us easily top 6). Even £16-20m gross a season is a decent amount -and that will include all the money generated internally/sustainably through sales.

Obviously we're still at a building stage rather than having the luxury of only spending to plug the odd gap but it's not like we're a newly promoted club in need of an overhaul either.

Am saying that £16-20m net a season (assuming we don't spend next Jan) is alot of money (see the table - puts us easily top 6). Even £16-20m gross a season is a decent amount -and that will include all the money generated internally/sustainably through sales.

Obviously we're still at a building stage rather than having the luxury of only spending to plug the odd gap but it's not like we're a newly promoted club in need of an overhaul either.

£20m might be on the high side, but what I'm expecting to see is some kind of like for like replacement for Osvaldo and maybe two other decent level signings, we'll still be well behind the top 5 or 6 sides in terms of expenditure.

Must be just me then.... I can genuinely see us not selling any of our big guns or anyone we don't want to sell (Osvaldo apart...and even he may come back)...and adding quality to a couple of positions.

see OP:)

It could be argued that our scouting network hasn't been particularly impressive of late, but then every club is after a hidden bargain somewhere.

That could be argued, or it could be argued that our scouting network has been mixed at worst since the take over.

Every team signs players that don't live up to their potential, may look good elsewhere and struggle to settle and find form etc. Look at Spurs' recruitment over the summer. Even Chelsea got one wrong when signing De Bruyne.

£20m might be on the high side, but what I'm expecting to see is some kind of like for like replacement for Osvaldo and maybe two other decent level signings, we'll still be well behind the top 5 or 6 sides in terms of expenditure.

As I say, we're playing catch up in a way some of others are not. A replacement for Osvaldo and another two decent signings should be more than enough to consolidate our progress this season and arguably push higher. That would suggest its business as usual under KL, the ambition is still there - something I'm more sceptical about.

That could be argued, or it could be argued that our scouting network has been mixed at worst since the take over.

Every team signs players that don't live up to their potential, may look good elsewhere and struggle to settle and find form etc. Look at Spurs' recruitment over the summer. Even Chelsea got one wrong when signing De Bruyne.

They got it wrong by letting De Bruyne go, he was not the managers signing though, quality footballer, larger clubs with money can afford losses and crap players as they can buy others, we bought Ramirez and Osvaldo as our annual luxury star buys.............................

They got it wrong by letting De Bruyne go, he was not the managers signing though, quality footballer, larger clubs with money can afford losses and crap players as they can buy others, we bought Ramirez and Osvaldo as our annual luxury star buys.............................

Granted, I'm not great at maths. Never have been, never will be.

But, can you explain to me how signing De Bruyne for £7m, then selling him for £18m is making a loss?

Granted Osvaldo was a waste of time and effort, yet to see anything that suggests that Ramirez is too. Overall, our scouting network has given us more Fonté's, Lamberts and Lovren's than Osvaldo's. Swings and roundabouts eh.

I fear we might get stuck with Osvaldo. It will be very much a buyers market. I certainly can't see us getting £12m. That sale will inevitably rumble on and effect our buying options for another striker.

Granted Osvaldo was a waste of time and effort, yet to see anything that suggests that Ramirez is too. Overall, our scouting network has given us more Fonté's, Lamberts and Lovren's than Osvaldo's. Swings and roundabouts eh.

As you get better so the pool of talent to improve you decreases. Its much easier to find a Fonte and Lambert than a top hlaf level premier league player at a good price. We are in quite a difficult position now, arguably the toughest for a long time in terms of attacting players to imporve us. To get better than we have for our first XI you are talking about internatonial players who are champions league level and if they're at that level most will want champions league football and wages. So we are operating in to pool below that whereby we have to convince players who wont make the first XI of bigger clubs to come here. IMO we are best of scouting the smaller domesitic leagues like Holland, Beligum and eastern Europe and use the draw of the premier league to upcoming players in those regions rather than chasing marque signings from Italy and Spain who probably dont want to be here but will for the money.

Fonte was doing it in a higher League for Palace (Championship is his level as a 1st team player), Lambert no scout could have known anything about his surge in performance as that is simply remarkable but Lovren was inspired granted, our scouting network has been awful, Guly, Mayuka, Forren etc etc.

As you get better so the pool of talent to improve you decreases. Its much easier to find a Fonte and Lambert than a top hlaf level premier league player at a good price. We are in quite a difficult position now, arguably the toughest for a long time in terms of attacting players to imporve us. To get better than we have for our first XI you are talking about internatonial players who are champions league level and if they're at that level most will want champions league football and wages. So we are operating in to pool below that whereby we have to convince players who wont make the first XI of bigger clubs to come here. IMO we are best of scouting the smaller domesitic leagues like Holland, Beligum and eastern Europe and use the draw of the premier league to upcoming players in those regions rather than chasing marque signings from Italy and Spain who probably dont want to be here but will for the money.
Exactly. What we're looking for/need in terms of a forward is pretty scarce, this is where our scouting network can really earn their corn, picking out a future star in a lesser known league, but everyone is after a top-level bargain and you're always taking a gamble, so not an easy call at all.

Fonte was doing it in a higher League for Palace (Championship is his level as a 1st team player), Lambert no scout could have known anything about his surge in performance as that is simply remarkable but Lovren was inspired granted, our scouting network has been awful, Guly, Mayuka, Forren etc etc.

Lambert had come of the back of a 30 goal season when we signed him, he was obviously signed to do the same in that division, but as you say, no one knew he'd step up with us.

Guly was decent in League 1 & Championship. Scouting network also bought us Hammond, Chaplow, Richardson, Barnard, Clyne, Lovren, Wanyama, Ramírez... as well as more and the above mentioned. Not all awful, were they?

Mayuka was very highly regarded when we signed him, there are many factors why players don't play up to expectations, not every signing comes off. We have done very well on the recruitment front since the takeover IMO.

Lambert had come of the back of a 30 goal season when we signed him, he was obviously signed to do the same in that division, but as you say, no one knew he'd step up with us.

Guly was decent in League 1 & Championship. Scouting network also bought us Hammond, Chaplow, Richardson, Barnard, Clyne, Lovren, Wanyama, Ramírez... as well as more and the above mentioned. Not all awful, were they?

Mayuka was very highly regarded when we signed him, there are many factors why players don't play up to expectations, not every signing comes off. We have done very well on the recruitment front since the takeover IMO.

Many of those players you have mentioned were established and played at the level we were at, I am refering to our overseas department which again I feel has been awful.

But how many bargains, great, clever spots have we picked up? It's obviously a very hard ask, but that's what you need to do to be considered a really impressive scouting department.

In practice we're been ok, some good, some bad, same as most clubs.

You are on a roll today, spot on.

Sorry i disagree that it is tough to find bargains...with the level of technology available now...it should be easier than ever before and you should have less busts

Take Michu for example...was bought for £2mill...the guy already had the most assists in La liga and scored 4/5th amount of goals...hardly an unknown quantity...just decent scouting.

Benteke also...20 years old...built like the proverbial out house...scored loads of goals and picked up for a decent fee

There is no excuses for ballsing up on players in my eyes...granted south Americans can be a bit of a punt...but generally Northern Europeans settle very well in England and if scouting is done correctly than they should be a good fit

Mayuka, Forren was terrible scouting...Ramirez i can excuse as he was/is still a hot World prospect...and we all know that Osvaldo was a massive punt by the manager

Overall though...just look at Dortmund as a shining example...who have mixed a great youth set up with clever scouting

Sorry i disagree that it is tough to find bargains...with the level of technology available now...it should be easier than ever before and you should have less busts

Take Michu for example...was bought for £2mill...the guy already had the most assists in La liga and scored 4/5th amount of goals...hardly an unknown quantity...just decent scouting.

Benteke also...20 years old...built like the proverbial out house...scored loads of goals and picked up for a decent fee

There is no excuses for ballsing up on players in my eyes...granted south Americans can be a bit of a punt...but generally Northern Europeans settle very well in England and if scouting is done correctly than they should be a good fit

Mayuka, Forren was terrible scouting...Ramirez i can excuse as he was/is still a hot World prospect...and we all know that Osvaldo was a massive punt by the manager

Overall though...just look at Dortmund as a shining example...who have mixed a great youth set up with clever scouting

It's just that easy

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

If its so easy, those bargains should be common knowledge to other clubs as well.

Edited by shurlock

It's obviously not easy, but there is room for improvement from where we currently are and it is one of the best ways smaller clubs can compete with those above them.

Yep agree, we've got to be a bit smarter about it and start looking at players that are in a bit of a rut but have shown they have talent (Lovren) or as Turks has stated, scour the top divisions from the smaller European countries.

When it comes to taking a chance on foreign players, the minimum threshold IMO is that they have the physical attributes. Unless they are truly one off talents, don't care how they talented that they are -they need to be able to cope with the rough-and-tumble of the league. Michu, Negrado etc succeeded not only because they are skillful but also because they can take care of themselves.

Edited by shurlock

When it comes to taking a chance on foreign players, the minimum threshold IMO is that they have the physical attributes. Unless they are truly one off talents, don't care how they talented that they are -they need to be able to cope with the rough-and-tumble of the league. Michu, Negrado etc succeeded not only because they are skillful but also because they can take care of themselves.

That to me is part of the problem as we get found out when we play international football, we breed race horses/athletes who can run all day but have very little skill, watch the tricky little players in this years World Cup show who play in a supposed crap League completely show up our players for technique.

That to me is part of the problem as we get found out when we play international football, we breed race horses/athletes who can run all day but have very little skill, watch the tricky little players in this years World Cup show who play in a supposed crap League completely show up our players for technique.

Not saying we should target carthorses. Far from it. But the prem is more a physical league than other leagues -and it can be a fatal oversight if one simply assumes a talented foreign player will carry over his skills to England.

Not saying we should target carthorses. Far from it. But the prem is more a physical league than other leagues -and it can be a fatal oversight if one simply assumes a talented foreign player will carry over his skills to England.

You need to run for 90 mins in England, look at the size of the player nowadays, they are getting bigger and bigger, less skill more athletic ability.