How much will we spend and who will we lose?

Goatboy

Why? Most of the site is wild unsubstantiated speculation. Guess we're a full set of tools.

The logic is rather simple. The club is in a transitional period off the pitch and the team hasn't met the expectations publically stated in relation to the signings made. For us to make predictions or formative assessment of previous patterns makes minimal sense. We have no idea on the management structure, KL's level of inclusion and simply its a World Cup year, which changes the market massively.

We will have a current plan a, its a given but there are too many factors for us to have any idea what may/may not happen this summer:

Shaw/Lallana may excel at the WC (if selected), we then may receive huge offers from huge clubs.

Dani Osvaldo's situation.

Pochettino could leave.

Liebherr may sell up.

FFP regulations (which will be heavily influenced by the first two points).

Edited by Monk

The logic is rather simple. The club is in a transitional period off the pitch and the team hasn't met the expectations publically stated in relation to the signings made. For us to make predictions or formative assessment of previous patterns makes minimal sense. We have no idea on the management structure, KL's level of inclusion and simply its a World Cup year, which changes the market massively.

We will have a current plan a, its a given but there are too many factors for us to have any idea what may/may not happen this summer:

Good post.

Be crazy if he wasn't. If I were a CL club or CL challenger looking for creativity, he'd be right at the top of my list.

That said, where does he go? Man Utd have too many now with Mata, Chelsea have plenty, Arsenal have Ozil and Cazorla, City have Silva and Nasri. It can only be Spurs or Liverpool in this country IMO. He'd do very well at either I think, but I really don't want to see it. Only way I'd tolerate it and vaguely enjoy it, is if he went abroad. Think he'd do very well in La Liga.

Liverpool is where I would put my money.

If Lallana can get a move to a top 4 side he will be a regular England international, getting over 50 caps. That's all he needs to be a shoe in every time a squad is announced.

If he carries on playing as he has been, he will be a an England and SAINTS regular.

A summary of some of the players we've been linked with from January-ish sort of time to present.

Aly Cissokho - LB - Liverpool (Valencia CF)

Davide Astori - CB - Cagliari Calcio

Cheikhou Kouyate - CB - RSC Anderlecht

Harry Maguire - CB - Sheffield United

Virgil van Dijk - CB - Celtic

Diego Poyet - DM - Charlton Athletic

McDonald Mariga - DM - Inter Milan

Havard Nordtveit - DM - Borussia Monchengladbach

Claudio Yacob - DM - West Bromwich Albion

Eder - AM - Sampdoria

Aaron Hunt - AM - Werder Bremen

Lucas Ocampos - AM - AS Monaco

Rafa Silva - AM - SC Braga

Saphir Taider - AM - Inter Milan

Carlos Vela - AM - Real Sociedad

Sergio Garcia - CF - RCD Espanyol

Paulinho - CF - AS Livorno

Christian Stuani - CF - RCD Espanyol

Fabio Quagliarella - CF - Juventus

Mirko Vucinic - CF - Juventus

I'm sure that there are many that I've missed off the list and some, if not all, of the links may be dubious. Interesting that there are no 'keepers or right backs linked. Not that we need a right back. Anybody's guess who we'll sign and how much we'll spend but there are obvious weaknesses in the squad. Interesting times ahead.

As you get better so the pool of talent to improve you decreases. Its much easier to find a Fonte and Lambert than a top hlaf level premier league player at a good price. We are in quite a difficult position now, arguably the toughest for a long time in terms of attacting players to imporve us. To get better than we have for our first XI you are talking about internatonial players who are champions league level and if they're at that level most will want champions league football and wages. So we are operating in to pool below that whereby we have to convince players who wont make the first XI of bigger clubs to come here. IMO we are best of scouting the smaller domesitic leagues like Holland, Beligum and eastern Europe and use the draw of the premier league to upcoming players in those regions rather than chasing marque signings from Italy and Spain who probably dont want to be here but will for the money.

Agree with you here, Turkish. Not really a lot I can add to this, certainly does go some way in explaining why some think our scouting has been below par, too.

Having my optimistic hat on, if we sell no major players in summer I think we will look like this

Gk:

1) Artur Boruc

2) Kelvin Davis

3) Paulo Gazzaniga

Lb:

1) Luke Shaw

2) Matt Targett

Rb:

1) Nathaniel Clyne

2) Callum Chambers

Cb:

1) Dejan Lovren

2) ?

3) Jose Fonte

4) Maya Yoshida

Dm:

1) Morgan Schneiderlin

2) Jack Cork

3) Victor Wanyama

4) Harrison Reed

Cm/Am

1) Adam Lallana

2) Jay Rodriguez

3) Gaston Ramirez

4) Steven Davis

5) James Ward-Prowse

Fwd:

1) ?

2) Rickie Lambert

3) Sam Gallagher

Out: Fox, Hooiveld, Osvaldo, Guly, Mayuka, Sharp, Barnard, Forte.

In: 30m split on new CB and FWD + Potential academy graduates in any position.

This is with my severe optimist head, personally I think Lallana is likely to go as he is at a stage in his career where he may consider moving as his only option for silverware. On the other hand I don't think Shaw is in any rush, barring an absolutely ridiculous offer. Pochettino staying is the key factor in holding this team together I feel.

In this day and age I don't think you could or should stop players moving to bigger clubs playing in the Champions League. You would do the same in their position, chance to earn a lot more money, play at a higher level and cement an international place

I think personally Lallana will have a very good WC and will be in demand across Europe, and good luck to him if he goes. Saints will seriously struggle to replace him (and before someone says it, Ramirez is no where near as good)

Not buying the Shaw and Lallana to Man Utd rumour today, £30 million is too low for a start but why Utd? why would you join a club in decline? Yeh big money big name but I think they would wait for the Man City's, Arsenals, and Chelseas to come calling. (Hell maybe even the big European clubs)

They have the money, the champions league football, the likely title challenge next year and the highly respected managers. Man Utd will have none of those things next year barring a miracle return to form and maybe sacking Moyes.

I don't think anyone major will leave and I don't think MP will leave either. People on here seem certain, but people on here always run with rumour as fact if it's repeated often enough. I just haven't seen the evidence to draw those conclusions. I think MP knows his stock has risen while he's been here and he'll be keen to let that build a bit.

i think we'll make attempts to sign a couple of new players, but due to being burned on our biggest signings, I don't think we'll be breaking any more club records this time.

unlike many on here who are disappointed with our season, I think upper mid PL is very good for a club our size and I think we'll need some spending to maintain that. Our attack is the obvious area that needs work, lambert is ageing and showing it, JRod plays well, but can't be relied on to score enough goals considering how many chances he gets.

I agree with norwaysaint. More I think we will build on this solid season and bring in a few more quality players to strengthen the squad.

Lallana, Shaw, Jay-Rod, Lovren, MoPo going nowhere.

In this day and age I don't think you could or should stop players moving to bigger clubs playing in the Champions League. You would do the same in their position, chance to earn a lot more money, play at a higher level and cement an international place

I think personally Lallana will have a very good WC and will be in demand across Europe, and good luck to him if he goes. Saints will seriously struggle to replace him (and before someone says it, Ramirez is no where near as good)

Ramirez is a different type of player and has not yet been played in a style suited to him.

Pessimist in me says:

Shaw - Chelsea - £30m (Clyne steps in)

Lallana - Liverpool - £25m (Ramirez steps in)

Schneiderlin - Arsenal - £15m (Cork steps in)

MP off to Spain - former Bundesliga replacement

Optimist in me says:

MP stays and keeps the squad together

Adds 2 players to the starting XI

CB + CF

Shaw is the most likely to go, maybe SRL too. I seriously hope Hooiveld is shipped out either on loan or permanently as he is an absolute donkey and should be nowhere near the first team.

We'll bring in a cheap-ish striker to replace Osvaldo, hopefully a decent CB to replace Hooiveld and maybe another LB.

Pessimist in me says:

Shaw - Chelsea - £30m (Clyne steps in)

Lallana - Liverpool - £25m (Ramirez steps in)

Schneiderlin - Arsenal - £15m (Cork steps in)

MP off to Spain - former Bundesliga replacement

Optimist in me says:

MP stays and keeps the squad together

Adds 2 players to the starting XI

CB + CF

I am with the optimist camp!!! really can't see KL selling, She is getting involved not distant, showing an interest, enjoying her fathers vision come to fruition. Saints are becoming a success, money has been well spent.can't see MP leaving, he has been handed a coaches gift, a club with money and young talent that are taking the PL buy storm. England call ups for his players, a team that can push for top six in the hardest league in the world, his positive reputation is growing. I can see him milking this cow for a little longer. If we continue to see improvement, it will keep everyone interested in our unfolding story of marching from div 1 to the top tier of the PL.

Our players will stay, big money from other clubs will not change this story as long as we keep improving. We are a good side, most of them have been there through this journey, slaying each target from div 1 on up, building a strong team ethic.

This is Lallana's team, he is the Captain! I think they see what I can see, a team of players that can beat the best teams in the league. If all of these players are so valuable then surely they can see the quality in their own teammates. This is not like the sale of Wallcott, Ox and Bale, they were not in a team that was capable of beating the top PL teams. Now we are, they are so close, they have shown they can hold their own, out posses almost every team, control most matches. A bit more improvement and there will be no need to go to MU, we will be beating MU!!

Shaw, Spidey, clyne, lovren and any of our other first 11 to be snatched up must all realize their success is partly to do with their team mates excellent play, they can continue to improve as a tight knit group, none with big enough ego's to think they were too good for their teammates. If I were them I would be interested to see how far we could improve over the next few years, all are young enough to get a big money move in a few years time to fulfill their ambitions and wallets if Saints cant.

The pessimist in you is still optomistic for me!

Shaw - Chelsea - £30m (Clyne steps in) - If Clyne can truly switch to LB and continue his excellent play then Shaws deprture wil not have to much affect, and Chamber has proven he is a quality RB. We will be thin on cover but £30m will buy some quality lb/rb replacements.

Lallana - Liverpool - £25m (Ramirez steps in) - would be the hardest to replace, but our play-maker in the making "Ramirez" has shown glimpses of brilliance that he could provide enough quality to keep Saints creative and dribbling juices flowing. If not 25 mill will get a quality AM (think Draxler)

Schneiderlin - Arsenal - £15m (Cork steps in) - Cork has proven he can operate in CM with MOTM performances this year. Reed, JWP, Davis all can keep our CM level to a high standard. 15 mill would buy some quality CM to fill the void.

With a potential (your guesstimate) to bring in 70 mill of sales from 3 players and still have a strong first 11. If we then spent that money wisely with KL continuing to invest her money on top of that 70 mill for 5 or 6 new players We could arguably be better of than we are now.

Now let me take off those rosy glasses because even the pessimistic view is looking really goooooood.....

Gk:

1) Artur Boruc

2) SCHMEICHAL £7M

3) Paulo Gazzaniga

Lb:

1) Luke Shaw

2) Matt Targett

Rb:

1) Nathaniel Clyne

2) Callum Chambers

Cb:

1) Dejan Lovren

2) SHAWCROSS £8M

3) Jose Fonte

4) Maya Yoshida

Dm:

1) Morgan Schneiderlin

2) Jack Cork

3) Victor Wanyama

4) Harrison Reed

Cm/Am

1) Adam Lallana

2) Jay Rodriguez

3) Gaston Ramirez

4) NATHAN DYER £10M

5) Steven Davis

6) James Ward-Prowse

Fwd:

1) MICHU (£10M)

2) Rickie Lambert

3) Sam Gallagher

Out: Fox: 500K Hooiveld: 500K Osvaldo: £15M Guly: FREE Mayuka: £1M Sharp: 750K Barnard: FREE, Forte: FREE.

TOTAL IN: £17M Approx

NET SPEND: £18M

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

As a season ticket holder I sincerely hope not! We have to keep our best home-grown players.

As a season ticket holder as well, I would think that I might question the whole of football if we had all our best players poached. I know plenty of people who just don't see football as it used to be pre-Sky/PL and now hardly every go. Maybe it's a bit melodramatic of me, but the sole focus of money, money and yet more money has rather dampened my enthusiasm for the game. The game has moved on from the 1970s/80s and I haven't.