30 years ago this week

Stud mark of doom

Interesting clip.

1. Game much different now. Then much more robust and copious long balls. I reckon our current side are better than the side of 1984. Frank Worthington was a better striker than Osvaldo and Shilton would be an asset to todays side as would Danny Wallace.

2. Shorts ....short!!

3. Pitch... worn as usual for time

4. Pass back to keeper ... he could collect and then wallop up field

5. Offside... an offence even if not interfering with play

6. Southall kept Everton in the game. We had some decent chances.

7. My recollection of the game was that we dominated but it seems we were on the rack second half

8. I thought their goal came after an incorrect throw in was given to Everton. However it came after a free kick against Reuben Agboola

9. Still remember the disappointment

I was devastated when we lost that game, especially with Watford to play in the final.My recollection was that Southall kept them in the game and we missed other chances as well. Everton certainly had their chances as well as us. I also remember we beat them 3-1 at The Dell, 3 days later.

Having said we were probably unlucky, they had quite a team out that day and I certainly did not remember Curran playing in that game.

Always feel that was the most devastating defeat in our history. A brilliant season and an off day in the game it mattered most. It was the springboard for Everton, who were awful that season to go on and win the league in 84-85 - that could have been us. My abiding memory is of being sat behind the dugout and seeing Puckett stripped and ready to come on for Steve Williams, who was a shadow of his normal brilliant self due to injury. But Lawrie couldn't seem to make the decision. It was the first year in history that a semi-final went into extra time in the first game - so typically it had to be us that suffered. If it had gone to a replay - which would have been at West Brom - we would have made no mistake in thumping Everton. A 1-0 defeat at Goodison on Grand National day also contributed to us not winning the league!

Ultimately one of THE iconic days in Saints history though. I don't know a single Saints fan that was there that day that doesn't at least flinch at the mention of the day, then roll off a story or two........ got to be a few good ones from the Saints Web community?

All I remember hearing was my dad saying, we should not have played someone (Williams) as he was not fully fit.

I like Heath as a player one of my favourite non saints player whirl at school. (My cousin was an Everton season ticket holder) I was only 10 and did not know any better.

I have just watched the highlights of that game for the first time ever and Everton deserved to win it over the 120 minutes (on the evidence of the highlights)

I was always under the impression that we deserved the win and were robbed late on. I feel better after watching it, no worse to the extra time loss to Liverpool a couple of years later. I suppose it was the fact that the goal came so late on, but it did look like we were happy with the draw and a reply at the hawthorns from about 60 minutes onwards!

Ultimately one of THE iconic days in Saints history though. I don't know a single Saints fan that was there that day that doesn't at least flinch at the mention of the day, then roll off a story or two........ got to be a few good ones from the Saints Web community?

Was carnage that day and our hooligan reputation enhanced. Rolfie in his beige Pringle was pretty naff though.

Was the worst day in my saints supporting life. Much better viewing from 30 years distance.

It was also the most packed crowd I can remember. Anyone else at the Clock End that day? I lost all the people I was with within a few minutes due to the sway - didn't see them again till the match had ended. No choice of direction. And I spent the whole of the game with my feet off the ground being held up by the crowd (I was a kid at the time).

Brian Moore, comments at the very end are noteworthy. This game led to only venues with fenced-in fans being considered "safe" to host a semi final.

I remember grabbing my ten year old son from by the wall at the front when the pitch invasion started at the end. Trouble was he had taken his brand new leather jacket off and left it on the wall never to be seen again. Anyone want to own up to picking it up!? Mind you he is about 14 stone now - would be a tight fit!