Wanayama speaks out

UpweySaint

The BBC has quoted Wanayama giving capital sport an interview ...

Victor Wanyama believes Southampton's owners should have tried harder to keep manager Mauricio Pochettino, with the midfielder conceding his departure to Tottenham is a "big blow".

"I learnt a lot from him, he taught me more and that's why I have grown as a player and there is a big difference compared to when I was at Celtic," Wanyama, who was signed for £12.5m by the Argentine, was reported to have said on Capital Sports.

"He played a big role in my career development.

"I wanted him to remain because he had the passion for the club and I think the owners should not have let him go because the team can do better next season."

Two points for me;

1) How does Wanayama know how much the board tried to keep hold of MP? Nobody knows what they did, if anything, to try and keep him. May have offered him the world and he still bolted for all we, or Wanayama, know.

2) The amount of interviews our players seem to be giving worries me. The content is rarely positive and we should have a tighter grip on this surely?!?

Maybe he knows something, not sure how though. But most on here are going with the 'should have tried harder to keep him line' without knowing anything.

Just a generic complaint meaning they're disappointed he's gone really, which is understandable.

If it comes out the board offered him relatively rubbish money, a limited budget, loads of player sales etc., then I'd join everyone in slagging them off. But all I've seen so far is angry gut reaction and ill-informed reckon.

Does that apply to Wanyama as well as posters on here?

Board are fasting appearing to be asleep at the wheel. Now maybe they aren't but they aren't selling a message to media or fans and even more worryingly aren't selling one to the players of their ambition and vision. Compare this with all the apparent buying into Cortese's previous vision and it is extremely worrying.

Link?

IMO The press have already written their story, and now they are looking for anything any player says to hang it on.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/sports/2014/05/28/wanyama-decries-mauricio-exit/

Obviously I cannot guarantee the piece to be factual but, if the BBC are prepared to run with it, I would be surprised if it was complete tosh ...

Either way I fancy our media dept could do with telling players what happens in the club stays in the club, Wanayama is well within reason to have concerns but, imo, it is not his place to be publicising them especially when they are critical of the board who, support them or not, pay the chaps wages.

Yes. I completely understand his disappointment with a good manager leaving but have doubts that he knows the details of the boards interactions with Pochettino.

That's sort of the problem. There's rumours we offered him a contract, there was murmors of a meeting to outline the new project. However the club were unable/unwilling to put out a message selling that they've offered him an improved contract and an ambitious vision for the future. Not a surprise that players and fans take that silence for inaction.

If he had so much passion for the club why did he leave? By all accounts the new offer was a good one.

An offer that was made up on here?

Pretty sure Wagamama would have spoken to MP and by accounts it looks as though the board didn't do anything.

Yes. I completely understand his disappointment with a good manager leaving but have doubts that he knows the details of the boards interactions with Pochettino.

Given the Board haven't been telling the players what their plans are then I'd highly doubt Wanyama would be privy to what Pochettino and the Board have been talking about.

But he clearly didn't feel worried about talking negatively to the media so that will give you some insight into what he thinks of the Board - or at least the level of respect he has for them.

An offer that was made up on here?

Pretty sure Wagamama would have spoken to MP and by accounts it looks as though the board didn't do anything.

It is widely reported that MP was offered a new contract and in some papers they talked about his terms and money being made available for new players. I wouldnt say that was not doing anything. He had a year of his contract to run so they didnt HAVE to offer him anything, but they did, apparently offer him a new contract. If he chose not to accept it that is a completely different matter I would say.

It is widely reported that MP was offered a new contract and in some papers they talked about his terms and money being made available for new players. I wouldnt say that was not doing anything. He had a year of his contract to run so they didnt HAVE to offer him anything, but they did, apparently offer him a new contract. If he chose not to accept it that is a completely different matter I would say.

Paper gossip is something completely different to official channels confirming talks about ambitious project and a generous new contract having been being offered for him to consider.

Two points for me;

1) How does Wanayama know how much the board tried to keep hold of MP? Nobody knows what they did, if anything, to try and keep him. May have offered him the world and he still bolted for all we, or Wanayama, know.

2) The amount of interviews our players seem to be giving worries me. The content is rarely positive and we should have a tighter grip on this surely?!?

the concerning thing is that no matter what really happened the players believe that Pochettino should have been enticed to stay. They all seem to be reading from the same him sheet too, makes you think that the board did not try hard enough to keep Mauricio. "There are several things they have to do, they know it" Morgan in the Echo and elsewhere not long back.

Morgan looked very down in the dumps when they were all strolling round the park at Enghien yesterday, perhaps he'd already heard the bad news, perhaps he knew he wasn't going to get a game last night but something was troubling him.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Paper gossip is something completely different to official channels confirming talks about ambitious project and a generous new contract having been being offered for him to consider.

Indeed, just getting a new longer term contract is one thing, keeping players and getting others that you need to progress is something else.

Put in a difficult position far too many times last season by lack of depth in our squad and some really mediocre players not being moved on and replacements obtained. He's been through that at Espanyol, took him a while to get a new job, probably didn't want to find himself up against Chelsea next season with Gazzaniga in goal, Jos in defence and JWP and Reed in the middle of the park, he's been there done that and chose not to renew the experience.

Either way I fancy our media dept could do with telling players what happens in the club stays in the club, Wanayama is well within reason to have concerns but, imo, it is not his place to be publicising them especially when they are critical of the board who, support them or not, pay the chaps wages.

this "board" didn't sign him, Cortese did, what does Victor care about them anyway, he can get a new job at the blink of an eye, someone will pay good money for him and to him. He feels that he's been let down and is saying so, so will others, some already have...before it was too late.

this "board" didn't sign him, Cortese did, what does Victor care about them anyway, he can get a new job at the blink of an eye, someone will pay good money for him and to him. He feels that he's been let down and is saying so, so will others, some already have...before it was too late.

Wow I hope you don't take that attitude in your on working life ... The club employs him. The club pays his wage. Cortese was the head of the company ... now he's not ... does not change a thing as far as the players should be concerned.

I respect he has opinions and may seek pastures new but I see no reason why such views and desires cannot be expressed privately with the board. Not only is that the best way to do things it gives them both a chance to put their views across and, in the case of the board, seek to alleviate his concerns.

Indeed, just getting a new longer term contract is one thing, keeping players and getting others that you need to progress is something else.

Put in a difficult position far too many times last season by lack of depth in our squad and some really mediocre players not being moved on and replacements obtained. He's been through that at Espanyol, took him a while to get a new job, probably didn't want to find himself up against Chelsea next season with Gazzaniga in goal, Jos in defence and JWP and Reed in the middle of the park, he's been there done that and chose not to renew the experience.

He left Espanyol in November 2012, was appointed in January 2013.

He said on his appointment he had been watching the team for a while, so wasn't too worried about getting to know the players.

That's not really taking a while to get a new job I don't think.

Wow I hope you don't take that attitude in your on working life ... The club employs him. The club pays his wage. Cortese was the head of the company ... now he's not ... does not change a thing as far as the players should be concerned.

I respect he has opinions and may seek pastures new but I see no reason why such views and desires cannot be expressed privately with the board. Not only is that the best way to do things it gives them both a chance to put their views across and, in the case of the board, seek to alleviate his concerns.

I did actually, I'm like Wanyama, highly desirable material, worked for the highest bidder for years. This is exactly why I can understand the attitude of these young men, they have talent and anyone who p*sses them about won't have their respect for very long. Regrettable but it's the price of all the work put in to hone the raw talent in the first place.

Victor Says (and his comments are very much true / expected):

"I learnt a lot from him, he taught me more and that's why I have grown as a player and there is a big difference compared to when I was at Celtic," Wanyama, who was signed for £12.5m by the Argentine, was reported to have said on Capital Sports.

"He played a big role in my career development."

Article infers

Victor Wanyama believes Southampton's owners should have tried harder to keep manager Mauricio Pochettino

The BBC has quoted Wanayama giving capital sport an interview ...

There seems to be a common thread with all the players that have been interviewed/quoted over the past day or so...........

Player XX believes Southampton's owners should have tried harder to keep manager Mauricio Pochettino, with Player XX conceding his departure to Tottenham is a "big blow".

"I learnt a lot from him, he taught me more and that's why I have grown as a player and there is a big difference compared to when I was at (insert previous club or experience here).

"He played a big role in my career development....etc etc

"I wanted him to remain because he had the passion for the club and I think ......etc etc...

During the pre season Spanish Leg I was sat in front of Jos, Maya, and Mayuka in the stands, my mate is a Footie nut so was asking Jos (as he was up for replying) all sorts, when he asked about Adkins being replaced by Pochettino how did you feel as a player after someone you know well is replaced by a comparative stranger. He just said obviously it's a bit strange but at the end of the day it's your job and you just get on with it, managers come and go you are employed by the club you go with their decision and the new guys way of doing things.

Obviously that was the view after 6 months with MP we both said it would have been interesting to have asked the same question a day or so after Adkins was shown the door.

Worrying isn't it? It's a result of extremely poor leadership at the top of the club. As I've stated before had we had Cortese right now there would be no players talking out, a feeling that an even better manager was on the way and a clear statement we are not selling.

Krugeurs statement tried to do that but he clearly lacks gravitas and experience. What's more his foolishness in hinting that some individual players may go has probably knocked a couple of million off their value.

It's looking very amateurish at Saint Mary's.

I'm worried. But let's see who becomes manager - a hungry Moyes will put our players back on track.