Koeman - Player Sales

Don Logan

Shaw, not an issue ''only a left back'' ? what sort of view is that? He's top, top, top quality. We will be lucky to see a player of his level at Southampton again, him leaving will make us very weak down the left hand side - that is a fact. So, it is an issue, and it's a position which needs to be sorted swiftly with an experienced international player - but even they wouldn't be as good.

Really getting miffed with Shaw being put down by everyone as ''just a left back'' ''let him go for that money'' ''we can easily replace him for £5m''. No, we can't.

Yes we can, he was just a steady 7/10 performer. He's easily replaceable

Shaw, not an issue ''only a left back'' ? what sort of view is that? He's top, top, top quality. We will be lucky to see a player of his level at Southampton again, him leaving will make us very weak down the left hand side - that is a fact. So, it is an issue, and it's a position which needs to be sorted swiftly with an experienced international player - but even they wouldn't be as good.

Really getting miffed with Shaw being put down by everyone as ''just a left back'' ''let him go for that money'' ''we can easily replace him for £5m''. No, we can't.

As a defender he was some way off the complete product and often made positional mistakes. I would prefer to see another player of Clyne's quality, someone who was likely to hang around for more than half a season.

If I'm entirely honest I've never seen what all the fuss was about with shaw (shoot me down)

Ditto. He clearly is tidy defender though, but he always flattered to deceive going forward. I am pretty sure he will improve on that as he gets older, but for me £30m is a truly outrageous sum of money. I think we would have had to be nuts to turn it down.

Yes we can. We can replace the Shaw that played last season with an equally effective LB. Defensively he was pretty good (for an 18yo), clearly better that Bridge at same age. But offensively he was still learning, and had not scored or made more than one or two assists. What we can't do is replace the player that Shaw is likely to become. Once he gets more experience and learns how to attack more effectively he should become a great player. It is similar to what happened with Bale. He was easy to replace at the time, but clearly he went on to much better things. Shaw will (injuries permitting) go on to be a much better player than he was last season, and its a shame he won't do that for us, but he can be replaced relatively easily so that we do not go backwards on last season. More concerning for me is that we not only have to replace him with a good LB, but we need a backup as well, unless Targett progresses much more quickly than he appears to be doing.

Replacing Lambert's goals, free kicks and penalties is a much more difficult task. Replacing Lallana's creativity is much more difficult.

The problem presented to Koeman was how he would play and how the players would fit in. Lambert was allowed to leave, in my view he earned it for his five years. Lallana still here but does he fit the way we might want to play. Guan let the cat out of the bag regarding the management's view that maybe the time has come to part. In hindsight I think Shaw was never going to stay, so it was a case of how much. It may well be that replacing those three will be done quickly.

As for Schneiderlin and Lovren, whoever is going to want them will have to match the Shaw/Lallana fees, that in itself will concentrate minds and if the valuations are met, fine. As far as I'm concerned a solid centre back and a midfield goalscorer plus Cork and Wanyama would do.

That would be pretty much covered by the Lallana/Shaw/Lambert fees. If they stay, great, but if they go their fees added to the probable summer budget would still give us in the region of a further £80m approximately to strengthen without Osvaldo and Ramirez fees if they go. We could well come out of the pre season in good shape.

I am starting to wonder if breaking up the team a bit is a masterstroke , it gets rid of any cliques and favourites that poch may of had , puts everyone on the same page with a fresh start (even osvaldo) and gives Ronnie the opportunity to build his team rather than someone else's signings !?

I am starting to wonder if breaking up the team a bit is a masterstroke , it gets rid of any cliques and favourites that poch may of had , puts everyone on the same page with a fresh start (even osvaldo) and gives Ronnie the opportunity to build his team rather than someone else's signings !?

Worked well for Sunderland and Di Canio last season.

Tell me the last team that sold a number or core players and replaced them, and then managed to get that new team to gel? This is a fact that a lot of you seem to be missing.

Well, I wouldn't expect Clyne to be happy. All his mates going, and he's seemingly been demoted to 2nd choice right back. The emergence of chambers, whilst has been good for us, has been to the detriment of Clyne who does deserve to play most weeks, tbh.

Well, I wouldn't expect Clyne to be happy. All his mates going, and he's seemingly been demoted to 2nd choice right back. The emergence of chambers, whilst has been good for us, has been to the detriment of Clyne who does deserve to play most weeks, tbh.

Clyne's (partial) demotion was more a Poch thing. Reckon normal business will resume under Koeman -assuming, of course, Clyne stays.

Wasn't Arsenal interested in Chambers, hope the third choice is happy.