James Beattie

Viking Warrior

i find it quite ridiculous that Lambert leaving is being used to bash the board.

If anything it shows the opposite, that they care about Saints and the feelings of their key employees.

Lallana and Shaw are different but in both cases we got a good price for 2 players that wanted to further their careers.

Unfortunately Lovren doesn't seem to have any morals about contracts but i am hopeful that Morgan can be convinced to stay.

He got dismissed and he does not know why but he is content with what he left with and has no issue.

Perhaps (and this is me talking not him) his way of doing things did not equate to what the club wanted, these things happen. All I know the three players mentioned have no axe to grind and in the case of Franny I think you could say he is really pleased that a certain person has now left. I am only posting this because people just make things up to suit agendas and manji is the nastiest little troll on this forum.

that doesn't reconcile at all with reported legal proceedings, unless dodd and willo were sacked as a smokescreen to cover for other sackings.

Fitzhugh you keep taking digs at me and others but did you actually witness burley drinking ? Or did just jump to conclusions that burley must have been an alcoholic? . Maybe the club were giving him support etc for his addiction and trying to help him at the time ?

Unlike you I don't jump to conclusions without conclusive proof and certainly when it is over something as serious as this problem was.

A year or so later my concerns were all confirmed by one person who would be in ideal position to know.

And it is only you I am having digs at Mike because virtually in every post you can't help yourself mentioning bed-wetters and it gets on my nerves. HTH

Sorry Duncan . When I comment I don't always do indepth research . I stand by my comments re crook and have retracted my comments re Blackmore . I see this as forum and sometimes I just post my initial thoughts on what I have seen or read .

when I started This thread I had sky on and heard what Beattie said and posted it just as he finished his 2 minutes of interview .

I was posting my initial thoughts that he would have been better to say nothing to the media instead of fanning the flames

I don't always go on about bed wetters . I just get annoyed when some posters are always looking for the negative aspect . Maybe the heart of the problem lies with me as I wear my heart on my sleeve and have always maintained my optimism re saints even during the darkest days .

As for burley yes I heard rumours but ignored them and was under the impression that the club were supporting him the best they could . He wasn't the only club employee or player who liked the hooch

I will try and curb my use of the word bedwetter . I don't use that term very often but I do go on about the moaners if that's what you allude to

Regards

Mike

Sorry Duncan . When I comment I don't always do indepth research . I stand by my comments re crook and have retracted my comments re Blackmore . I see this as forum and sometimes I just post my initial thoughts on what I have seen or read .

when I started This thread I had sky on and heard what Beattie said and posted it just as he finished his 2 minutes of interview .

I was posting my initial thoughts that he would have been better to say nothing to the media instead of fanning the flames

I don't always go on about bed wetters . I just get annoyed when some posters are always looking for the negative aspect . Maybe the heart of the problem lies with me as I wear my heart on my sleeve and have always maintained my optimism re saints even during the darkest days .

As for burley yes I heard rumours but ignored them and was under the impression that the club were supporting him the best they could . He wasn't the only club employee or player who liked the hooch

I will try and curb my use of the word bedwetter . I don't use that term very often but I do go on about the moaners if that's what you allude to

Regards

Mike

OK Mike appreciate the sensible reply and take it on board. Crook, Blakemore and Peach are the only three journalists I follow because they cover this area and do have genuine contacts. They are not always going to say things I want to hear but I have got to accept that as long as they are being honest and I think they are. Just because we don't like the message doesn't mean we should shoot the messenger but you have got to admit so many on this forum only want to believe good news and then put their fingers in their ears for everything else.

There are bed wetters and bed wetters, believe it or not, not everyone who posts negative thoughts do it because they wet their bed at nights, a lot of people are genuinely worried and relay their worries on a forum. After a bad defeat I always get solace from people on here who feel as wretched as me. I swing both ways (oh er missus), usually when I am with more negative people than me (my father for instance) I turn into a happy clappy but then when I am with a happy clappy, I become a bed wetter. It is almost an inbuilt safety valve that as Saints fans we all need or at least I do. "Moaners">? No just people letting off steam to make them feel better

Don't waste your concern on Burley, if I ever meet you I will tell you the story about the day I went to Doncaster with Leon Crouch and sat on a hospitality table with lots of Scottish fans who did not know who Leon was. What they said about Burley and Southampton FC stitching them up by unloading Burley into the Scotland day was priceless.

As for Beatts, well I haven't even bothered to check out what he said to be honest. While he and I and Benali were chatting during a book signing a few weeks ago he said nothing untoward and my impression he was asked a few questions by a Sky journalist and said the first thing that came into his head. Silly yes, but when microphones get shoved in faces silly things get said. Anyway lets move forward, these are tempestuous times, worrying times but also exciting times to be a Saints fan. Cheers

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Unlike you I don't jump to conclusions without conclusive proof and certainly when it is over something as serious as this problem was.

A year or so later my concerns were all confirmed by one person who would be in ideal position to know.

And it is only you I am having digs at Mike because virtually in every post you can't help yourself mentioning bed-wetters and it gets on my nerves. HTH

Agree, the over use of this term is really getting my plastic pants in a twist!!

Seriously, it's annoying now.

Yep your post makes good sense. I have never really understood people accusing me of having an agenda. I wanted Burley out because of the tales I was hearing about his excessive drinking which I posted on here. That means "I had an agenda". After the Steve Wigley appointment I realised Lowe had lost the plot (interestingly so did most of his fellow board members come to the same realisation) and I campaigned for his removal I will admit. But at least I did it to his face at an AGM. Other than that my only agenda is to unmask Manji one day!

So then Duncan, you drag the old chestnut up again about Burley's "excessive drinking." I notice you say "tales" - did you ever get any hard proof? Did it also happen at his previous and latter clubs too? I ask because his mate Alan Brazil was asked about it and he said that George liked a bevvy but wasnt a hard drinker. What is your idea of excessive drinking anyway? You will know better than I that we have had plenty of really hard drinkers at this club. There are also drinkers elsewhere - Brian Clough springs to mind. As club historian it would be good to know that you have firm evidence of the "excessive drinking" and are not just recycling rumours.

So then Duncan, you drag the old chestnut up again about Burley's "excessive drinking." I notice you say "tales" - did you ever get any hard proof? Did it also happen at his previous and latter clubs too? I ask because his mate Alan Brazil was asked about it and he said that George liked a bevvy but wasnt a hard drinker. What is your idea of excessive drinking anyway? You will know better than I that we have had plenty of really hard drinkers at this club. There are also drinkers elsewhere - Brian Clough springs to mind. As club historian it would be good to know that you have firm evidence of the "excessive drinking" and are not just recycling rumours.

Not that I have any evidence but he was fired by Apollon Limassol after only 2 games in charge (his last job IIRC) and contrary to the official statement I think all the press were running the story that it was due to his enjoyment of the local "night scene" a bit too much.

Like I said I don't spread rumours unless I am pretty convinced they are true. I like a drink, in fact I imbibe probably every night but I like to think I know when to stop. Take it from me GB often went over the limit. Reeking of scotch on the team coach being driven to the airport for an away match on the Friday morning is not a way to impress. And as I wasn't a player no I wasn't there, but have spoken to two players and the driver, so am fairly convinced it happened. This is just one of many such stories. I couldn't care less now because he no longer manages my team. I hope he is alright but his subsequent managerial cv as someone has pointed out would suggest he was grabbling with a problem.

Like I said I don't spread rumours unless I am pretty convinced they are true. I like a drink, in fact I imbibe probably every night but I like to think I know when to stop. Take it from me GB often went over the limit. Reeking of scotch on the team coach being driven to the airport for an away match on the Friday morning is not a way to impress. And as I wasn't a player no I wasn't there, but have spoken to two players and the driver, so am fairly convinced it happened. This is just one of many such stories. I couldn't care less now because he no longer manages my team. I hope he is alright but his subsequent managerial cv as someone has pointed out would suggest he was grabbling with a problem.
Duncan but the stories of GB were out there to serve the purpose of the anti Burley brigade at the time. I know for a fact as well that GB did like a drink, but you and I also know that many players over the years did so. If they were a hero it didn't serve the purpose to unveil those, would we ever have won the FA cup is Ossies fun and games were uncovered in those days etc etc etc. The drinking thing was only a tool to bash GB with because some fans wanted him gone. He was managing us at a terrible time with so much going on in the background, tough thing to do. No wonder he was drinking .

I lost count of the amount of times I saw him punishing double scotch in Margherita's and Maxims.

Duncan but the stories of GB were out there to serve the purpose of the anti Burley brigade at the time. I know for a fact as well that GB did like a drink, but you and I also know that many players over the years did so. If they were a hero it didn't serve the purpose to unveil those, would we ever have won the FA cup is Ossies fun and games were uncovered in those days etc etc etc. The drinking thing was only a tool to bash GB with because some fans wanted him gone. He was managing us at a terrible time with so much going on in the background, tough thing to do. No wonder he was drinking .

Aye, anyone old enough to remember our legendary alehouse brawlers team will probably recall the story of how one of our heroes had to be substituted a few minutes into a pre-season game because he was too p issed to run around. Happy daze.

This is like a civil war reenactment, old swords dusted down.

But, regardless, what a load of nonsense.

The anti - Burley "brigade" were anti Burley because he was an appalling manager who managed to utterly blow the best chance we had of a Premier league return, despite having unprecedented funds and total freedom to build the squad he wanted. Your suggestion he had a "tough time" is garbage - the relative resources he had far outstripped any of his predecessors. And with all that he left us in a far worse state than he inherited us. Utter, abject, pathetic failure.

The drinking stuff was not just made up by people on this forum, now was it? And drawing a correlation to footballers 30 years previously is a pretty ridiculous comparison.

Aye, anyone old enough to remember our legendary alehouse brawlers team will probably recall the story of how one of our heroes had to be substituted a few minutes into a pre-season game because he was too p issed to run around. Happy daze.

Big Ron, and Jenkins wasn't it ?

My father later told me of seeing Ron in a 'lock in' from time to time the night/early AM before a match, but of course 'times were different' etc.

The anti - Burley "brigade" were anti Burley because he was an appalling manager who managed to utterly blow the best chance we had of a Premier league return, despite having unprecedented funds and total freedom to build the squad he wanted. Your suggestion he had a "tough time" is garbage - the relative resources he had far outstripped any of his predecessors. And with all that he left us in a far worse state than he inherited us. Utter, abject, pathetic failure.

The drinking stuff was not just made up by people on this forum, now was it? And drawing a correlation to footballers 30 years previously is a pretty ridiculous comparison.

IYHO of course, and the drinking thing was not only when Ossie was around. We have recent star players who were out on the lash,and I know it as a fact because a family member was with them.

IYHO of course, and the drinking thing was not only when Ossie was around. We have recent star players who were out on the lash,and I know it as a fact because a family member was with them.

I've also lost count the amount of times I was getting s**t faced with Claus in Jumpin Jaks back in mid 2000's.

This. It's one thing when the players regularly get off their trolly but when the manager does it the club soon slides down the slippery slope.

But when people say the same about George you dismiss it as made up by the "anti Burley brigade"? Right-o.

But when people say the same about George you dismiss it as made up by the "anti Burley brigade"? Right-o.
i thought you could read CB.

I have just pasted part of my post to try and make it not so difficult for you. ' I know for a fact as well that GB did like a drink, but you and I also know that many players over the years did so.'