Ricky Lambert - Lost all respect for him

washsaint

I have just watched it and I got the same feeling. He has a passion for Saints. On Sky they also showed parts of this interview where he said that the owner had decided to make some changes that maybe would not go well. I just feel that the big issue with RL and others was the departure of NC who seemed to have a rapport with the players at the expense of others such as Francis Benali and MLT who are club legends. Perhaps a ruthless man who was taking us on a dangerous journey. My guess is that KL spotted that and wanted to create an organisational model that was based on teamwork rather than dictatorship.

This. The crux of the interview when asked about the apparent dissection of last years team, his carefully considered words were, "It could have been different." That was it.

I took it as a reference to NC leaving to be replaced with a board of directors of whose footballing nous has yet to be answered. The players who have been carried along with NC's grand plan since it's inception are the ones most likely to be affected by his leaving. Five year plan ends..new one begins.

IMO Rickie's reputation remains unblemished.

I have just watched it and I got the same feeling. He has a passion for Saints. On Sky they also showed parts of this interview where he said that the owner had decided to make some changes that maybe would not go well. I just feel that the big issue with RL and others was the departure of NC who seemed to have a rapport with the players at the expense of others such as Francis Benali and MLT who are club legends. Perhaps a ruthless man who was taking us on a dangerous journey. My guess is that KL spotted that and wanted to create an organisational model that was based on teamwork rather than dictatorship.

This. The crux of the interview when asked about the apparent dissection of last years team, his carefully considered words were, "It could have been different." That was it.

I took it as a reference to NC leaving to be replaced with a board of directors of whose footballing nous has yet to be answered. The players who have been carried along with NC's grand plan since it's inception are the ones most likely to be affected by his leaving. Five year plan ends..new one begins.

His comments are way, way off the mark and out of order. He should have kept his mouth shut and kept his opinions to himself.

Surprised fans are blaming the players and not the Board - really? So we should applaud Lallana and Lovren's despicable behavior?

Surprised Pochettino left and that reflects on the Board? Really, seriously? Slimy git decided in January he was leaving and tells his favorites to do the same and that is somehow the Board's fault.

The Board have brought in Koeman, spent a large amount earned through sales (with more there to spend) and, based on today's performance, we could have an equally good season this year with a team that wants to play for Koeman and have not had their heads turned by 'superstars' like Gerrard on England duty.

Shame on you Lambert.

Think you need to get a grip in all honesty!

We've just watched a very good match, which bodes well for the coming season and if you watched on Sky (like many of us), you'd have seen Rickie declare his undying love for Saints as "his" football team along with Liverpool.

Proper club legend. I don't see anything wrong with him expressing an opinion. Did you also hate Mick Channon and Matt le Tissier at various times in their post-Saints careers for expressing opinions?

Rickie loves the club, the feeling is mutual.

His comments are way, way off the mark and out of order. He should have kept his mouth shut and kept his opinions to himself.

Surprised fans are blaming the players and not the Board - really? So we should applaud Lallana and Lovren's despicable behavior?

Surprised Pochettino left and that reflects on the Board? Really, seriously? Slimy git decided in January he was leaving and tells his favorites to do the same and that is somehow the Board's fault.

The Board have brought in Koeman, spent a large amount earned through sales (with more there to spend) and, based on today's performance, we could have an equally good season this year with a team that wants to play for Koeman and have not had their heads turned by 'superstars' like Gerrard on England duty.

Shame on you Lambert.

Think you need to get a grip in all honesty!

We've just watched a very good match, which bodes well for the coming season and if you watched on Sky (like many of us), you'd have seen Rickie declare his undying love for Saints as "his" football team along with Liverpool.

Proper club legend. I don't see anything wrong with him expressing an opinion. Did you also hate Mick Channon and Matt le Tissier at various times in their post-Saints careers for expressing opinions?

Rickie loves the club, the feeling is mutual.

Having now watched the video (the interview on Youtube - can't access Sky interview. Can someone provide the skinny, please?) I'm baffled as to how the OP has found him/herself affronted. The 'Do you fear for them as a club?' Q seemed to knock him for six, so he clearly has emotion invested in our success/failure.

Having now watched the video (the interview on Youtube - can't access Sky interview. Can someone provide the skinny, please?) I'm baffled as to how the OP has found him/herself affronted. The 'Do you fear for them as a club?' Q seemed to knock him for six, so he clearly has emotion invested in our success/failure.

Just listened to the the interview and didn't think he said anything controversial, in fact i think he deliberately avoided making comment when asked about the turmoil at Saints.

Agreed, combined with the Sky interview which seemed to contains some of the same stuff but also some different stuff, he was clearly upset with what went on BEFORE he left and from the Sky one clearly with the people that KL had brought in (so definitely not Les Reed). Seemed genuinely distressed about what happened. I guess with SRL as opposed to the scumbags who left later, the problem arose from the fact that we were ready to offload him back in January, and would probably have done so if Osvaldo had not attacked Jose and made it impossible for him (Osvaldo) to stay, and thus make Rickie indispensable. I'm afraid that what happened to SRL is closely associated with KL and what happened with her new people and the departure of Cortese.

Just listened to the the interview and didn't think he said anything controversial, in fact i think he deliberately avoided making comment when asked about the turmoil at Saints.

Agreed, combined with the Sky interview which seemed to contains some of the same stuff but also some different stuff, he was clearly upset with what went on BEFORE he left and from the Sky one clearly with the people that KL had brought in (so definitely not Les Reed). Seemed genuinely distressed about what happened. I guess with SRL as opposed to the scumbags who left later, the problem arose from the fact that we were ready to offload him back in January, and would probably have done so if Osvaldo had not attacked Jose and made it impossible for him (Osvaldo) to stay, and thus make Rickie indispensable. I'm afraid that what happened to SRL is closely associated with KL and what happened with her new people and the departure of Cortese.

Yeah that's how I see it too.

Rickie's rep with me is intact.

Yeah that's how I see it too.

Rickie's rep with me is intact.

I've just watched it too.

My interpretation is that now all the fanfares, hoo-ha and honeymoon period over his move to his boyhood club is over, and he has to face the stark realities of his role with his new club, it doesnt look as great any more and he has regrets. He also probably knows his best playing days are now behind him. Maybe their fans reaction has him down too. He even says himself he is not sure what targets there are to achieve. FFS, with us he was top English striker in the PL, got into the England team and scored the winner against the Sweaties...

I am not sure LFC sounds like a particularly happy club. Look at the PR turn Rodgers does every couple of days. I think the inference that the board is the problem is a bit disingenuous. That group of players that has left now need to justify their transfer fees.

I still blame him as a talisman that walked out and led the way for the others to do so. For me he is part of the clubs history, end of.

Edited by alpine_saint

My interpretation is that now all the fanfares, hoo-ha and honeymoon period over his move to his boyhood club is over, and he has to face the stark realities of his role with his new club, it doesnt look as great any more and he has regrets. He also probably knows his best playing days are now behind him. Maybe their fans reaction has him down too. He even says himself he is not sure what targets there are to achieve. FFS, with us he was top English striker in the PL, got into the England team and scored the winner against the Sweaties...

I am not sure LFC sounds like a particularly happy club. Look at the PR turn Rodgers does every couple of days. I think the inference that the board is the problem is a bit disingenuous. That group of players that has left now need to justify their transfer fees.

I still blame him as a talisman that walked out and led the way for the others to do so. For me he is part of the clubs history, end of.

Edited by alpine_saint

Thought he was fine in the interview, came over well and answered genuinely, will always be a Saints legend.

But I found Saints fans singing his name today poor from us, he was coming on to help them get a win against us, we should be focused on the XI out there playing for us.

Thought he was fine in the interview, came over well and answered genuinely, will always be a Saints legend.

But I found Saints fans singing his name today poor from us, he was coming on to help them get a win against us, we should be focused on the XI out there playing for us.

I thought it was appropriate. In a sense he's ours because we've had the best of him. It's probably a one off anyway, at least until he scores against us at SMS.

I thought it was appropriate. In a sense he's ours because we've had the best of him. It's probably a one off anyway, at least until he scores against us at SMS.

Why? The enthusiastic round of applause when warming up should have been enough, it is far more than most ex-players get and should have shown how highly he's regarded without going on throughout the game, while he's trying to score a goal against us and leave us without what would have been a very much deserved point.

Why? The enthusiastic round of applause when warming up should have been enough, it is far more than most ex-players get and should have shown how highly he's regarded without going on throughout the game, while he's trying to score a goal against us and leave us without what would have been a very much deserved point.

If I am honest, I started watching it, but after about 10 seconds I decided that I had no interest what so ever in what a player for another team had to say. I am sure that the Saints related bit would have been interesting, but still, I wasn't in the least bit interested.

If I am honest, I started watching it, but after about 10 seconds I decided that I had no interest what so ever in what a player for another team had to say. I am sure that the Saints related bit would have been interesting, but still, I wasn't in the least bit interested.

The piece shown on NBC Sports was obviously not the full post match interview. Was only about 90 secs to 2 minutes long and the interviewer asked him if he was surprised at the reception Lovren got which was when he started talking about yes he was surprised at the reaction to Lovren as the fans should be directing their anger at the Board after the "gaffer" left.

The piece shown on NBC Sports was obviously not the full post match interview. Was only about 90 secs to 2 minutes long and the interviewer asked him if he was surprised at the reception Lovren got which was when he started talking about yes he was surprised at the reaction to Lovren as the fans should be directing their anger at the Board after the "gaffer" left.

That's how I see it too. Not every club has the great, friendly atmosphere that the Saints and the other traditional football clubs in the lower levels have. These 'top' clubs can be high-pressure, *****y places to work.

That's how I see it too. Not every club has the great, friendly atmosphere that the Saints and the other traditional football clubs in the lower levels have. These 'top' clubs can be high-pressure, *****y places to work.

From the Liverpool Echo:

519bp1.jpg

Quality :)

I've got no issues with what was said in the youtube linked interview.

Saints legend and all round decent bloke who worked hard not to put his foot in his mouth.

It's been such a long torrid summer that I've forgotten all the details, but wasn't it Cortese that wanted rid of him in January, or was that Mopo?

From the Liverpool Echo:

519bp1.jpg

Saints legend and all round decent bloke who worked hard not to put his foot in his mouth.

It's been such a long torrid summer that I've forgotten all the details, but wasn't it Cortese that wanted rid of him in January, or was that Mopo?

The fact that the current Board of Fools pushed him out the door at the very first opportunity, should give you an idea as to where the impetus for Lambert having no place at Southampton was coming from.

The fact that the current Board of Fools pushed him out the door at the very first opportunity, should give you an idea as to where the impetus for Lambert having no place at Southampton was coming from.