Pompey firesale to continue?!

saint_stevo

And people complain that Saints' downfall was not building on our cup final season with investment in players. Pompey did and look where it has left them...

Well, not really.

They invested in the team with heavy debt, then they won the cup.

They can't afford to do this so they must sell.

They gambled on being able to get a decent crowd and a new stadium through flogging the club on to some other source of funds.

They have no infrastructure to fall back on.

Completely different scenario.

WE ARE SKINT and thats my 3 posts !!

we didn't have to sign this guy as he is on loan until end of season, so if money is that tight what gives ?? cue - because defoe, johnson et al are about to be sold. Who knows what the truth is bar Storrie and Gaydamak.....

BELHADJ SIGNS LONG-TERM DEAL

Nadir Belhadj has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Pompey.

The Blues have paid French side Lens 4.5m euros for the 26-year-old left-sided player.

Belhadj has made the switch after a successful loan spell at Fratton Park in which he has scored twice in 23 appearances.

The Algeria international officially becomes a Pompey player on January 1, when the transfer window opens.

Tony Adams said Belhadj’s capture came with a ringing endorsement from Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

The Blues manager said: "I’m delighted to have secured Nadir as a permanent signing.

Unhappy players = devalued players.

Unhappy players = devalued players. Like Berbatov? LOL

We won't get £6m for Distin but would easily get £8-9m for Johnson. We paid around £4m for him so we're going to make a decent profit on a player that is now a regular in the England squad. Pompey may not be as skint as you keep saying Granty. You keep banging on about our £95m debt (can you post a link to prove that figure's correct or let us know where you came by that figure) but if we were that desperate, how come we've turned down a £10m bid from Spuds for Defoe and told them we want closer to double that figure? Doesn't tie in with what you're saying above.

Without seeing the list of players whose contracts expire, I would guess that a number of those are among your better players, and they're all going to need replacing. From the outside, it looks as if the squad as it is at the moment isn't big or strong enough, so without those 13 players, that's going to need significant spending to replace those players. Money you appear not to have.

Here's the 13 out of contract. Tel me which of them are among our better players:

Sol Campbell

Richard Hughes

Sean Davies

Jerome Thomas

Noe Pamarot

Linvoy Primus

Kanu

Glenn Little

Herman Hreidarsson

Lauren

Djimi Traore

Christophe

Richard Duffy

How many of that lot (earning £15m a year between them if reports are accurate) are crucial to our first team?

Yes and no, I suspect. Cutting your cloth accordingly will involve only spending what you're actually bringing in whilst reducing the debt - with gates of 19-20k, that's not going to leave very much to spend.

Imagine if we were getting gates of 30,000 in a new stadium. That would generate a whole £6m a year more! Not to be sniffed at but hardly make or break. TV money is far more important these days.

WE ARE SKINT and thats my 3 posts !!

we didn't have to sign this guy as he is on loan until end of season, so if money is that tight what gives ?? cue - because defoe, johnson et al are about to be sold. Who knows what the truth is bar Storrie and Gaydamak.....

BELHADJ SIGNS LONG-TERM DEAL

Nadir Belhadj has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Pompey.

The Blues have paid French side Lens 4.5m euros for the 26-year-old left-sided player.

Belhadj has made the switch after a successful loan spell at Fratton Park in which he has scored twice in 23 appearances.

The Algeria international officially becomes a Pompey player on January 1, when the transfer window opens.

Tony Adams said Belhadj’s capture came with a ringing endorsement from Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

The Blues manager said: "I’m delighted to have secured Nadir as a permanent signing.

No-one seems to keen to comment on the fact that Pompey, a club with no money who are having to sell every player they can to survive in January have just bought someone for £4.5m. Doesn't really tie in with what you're saying on here, does it? Add in the fact that PFC signed the final contracts for our training ground at Lee on Solent at noon today and what you've been saying doesn't seem to make much sense.

No comments chaps? Almost made it worth having to come in to work for an extra day today to see you lot gnashing your teeth :D

not again - you made the bet unbettable stating you will wait to see who is sold before you confirm, even granty thought you were talking out your ass FFS ! Sol Campbell is not a top drawer player ! Your laughable

that is totally untrue. You put caveats up saying that Sol was not a major player and so wouldnt bet.

You wriggled because you knew your claim was holed below the waterline.

You Welshed perod. Granty backed you up about Sol not being a main player I think you will find.

TBF we're at the brink of administration but we signed someone for a potential £1.2m, so if all is in fact rosey in the Pompey garden (urgh!), then £4.5m is hardly anything.

Bearing in mind he's probably not on massive wonga and it will be something like £1m up front, then it's really no biggy.

Anyway, you can rant all you want on a Saints forum, the fact is you've hit your peak and it will be funny watching you [slowly?] go downhill from here on in.

Why does everybody keep banging on about Spurs wanting Defoe...

It's never going to happen, there is a FIFA legislation that stops the deal from going through so it's a dead story in the papers and lazy journalism, therefore it means you're talking out of your arse Corp and I'm pretty sure 5 or 6 of those playersm that are out of contract at the end of the season, played against West Ham, so I suppose they are some of your better players.

Why does everybody keep banging on about Spurs wanting Defoe...

It's never going to happen, there is a FIFA legislation that stops the deal from going through so it's a dead story in the papers and lazy journalism, therefore it means you're talking out of your arse Corp and I'm pretty sure 5 or 6 of those playersm that are out of contract at the end of the season, played against West Ham, so I suppose they are some of your better players.

There is indeed legislation to prevent a player from joining his previous club less than one calendar year after he left (as I've pointed out to Granty) but you can ask for special dispensation from the Prem for the deal to go through. Spuds made a tentative approach offering £10m which Pompey laughed at.

As for the players who played against West Ham, Campbell, Davies, Hughes and Little all played and Kanu came on as sub. However, Davies and Hughes hardly got a game last season and will be bit part players once new CM's are signed, Little is on a one year contract that won't be renewed and it's undoubtedly Campbell and Kanu's last season with us. Kanu is at best a sub these days and Campbell's days are numbered. They're hardly the best players at the club which Granty was suggesting. Of all of them, Campbell is probably the only one that could be considered a first choice player and even he has been left out for Kaboul a few times this season.

corp..

that is alot of players leaving the club...so far, you have that left back..belhagdj or whoever..

he is already there...

but to lose that many players and some who DO play a part (and im guessing many are starters/first teamers)...and the fact you are (like many clubs) going to fill the money pinch..

how on earth are you going to have a decent squad size with any quality...?

lets say..you lose at least either defoe/distin/johnson also..

does not leave alot..

corp..

that is alot of players leaving the club...so far, you have that left back..belhagdj or whoever..

he is already there...

but to lose that many players and some who DO play a part (and im guessing many are starters/first teamers)...and the fact you are (like many clubs) going to fill the money pinch..

how on earth are you going to have a decent squad size with any quality...?

lets say..you lose at least either defoe/distin/johnson also..

does not leave alot..

I didn't say all of them would be leaving, just listed the thirteen that are out of contract to show Granty that it's not all first team regulars. I'd imagine that a few of them (Davies, Pamarot, Hughes) might be offered new deals as they're decent squad players. The likes of Traore (that's Djimi please note, not Armand), Thomas, Primus, Duffy, Christophe and Hreidarsson have barely played (if at all) this season so wouldn't be missed at all. That leaves Campbell and Kanu who will probably move looking for one last pay day. Others will undoubtedly leave like Defoe and Johnson but the money we'll get for them means we'll be able to afford replacements. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kranjcar leave either but if we sold all three we'd pull in around £30 - £35m for them. Add that to the £20m for Diarra (I know we won't get all the money in one lump sum but that means we won't have to pay it all out on one lump sum either) and even allowing for Gaydamak retaining some of the cash it would give us enough to buy some very decent replacements.

well...be interesting to see how good adams is at un-earthing some gems....as if not..you will end up with the same fate as us..

buying ordinary players...and lots of them with a very inexperienced manager...(much like us with wigley)

I reckon you lot will be ok this year but only just...next season will be the crunch time IF adams is still there..

Even if Pompey sold these Three players we'd still be less likely to be relegated than Saints. Not that i'm wholly confident pompey won't be relegated, I just wanted to bring a bit of perspective to this thread. Carry on. :D