Bearsy - help!

Coxford_lou

I guess the good ole sexism debate brings out all kings of strong feelings.

And don't for a minute think I'm not going to raise it again just because it's turned into complete carnage this time. But I only talk about sexism, if someone says something offensive, or if a relevant topic comes up about football in the media.

The parallels with racist threads I find interesting.

I guess it's mostly down to privilege. I honestly don't think many of the posters are massively misogynistic in nature, and probably are mostly decent folk. However, privilege is a funny thing and does funny things to folk.

The things I mention are really really tame, but seem to get quite the reaction. For example, "maybe guys should think about where they put their penis and the possible consequences" is met with utter disdain. I don't think the board is full of potential rapists, but it's asking straight white guys to maybe try thinking about others in a society that is pretty much centred around them that seems such disdainful reactions. The racism threads are similar, the "don't make an issue of race, treat it all the same" stuff is a classic example of this. It's very easy for a straight white guy (which includes myself) to say just don't make an issue of racism. It can be well intentioned (I believe it was), however the reality for people who are from minority groups to treat race as a non-issue when they are confronted by it on a daily basis is probably a kick in the shins.

That is privilege, I don't believe it is possible for straight white guys to be sufferers of sexism or racism in this country. That's not to say they(/we) can't be subjected to sexist or racist comments.

Anyway, more power to you Lou. Keep on posting a long those lines, I will too. Have to admit, I do quite enjoy watching how angry people get at the mere suggestion women be treated as people and that sometimes guys everyday 'normal' behaviour can indeed be a bit ****ty. A few minor changes could possibly make everyone's life better. Apparently that is a controversial view point, let's all just be nicer to each other.

The thing is, Pap's a nice guy, on here and in real life, so I'm not sure what Tim's beef is.

Obviously he does have one mind.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, UJ.

I am somewhat surprised that you didn't mention the autism, cognitive disorders and neo-Nazi leanings though. Tim sees these qualities all the time, and hasn't even met me. I guess you're not as qualified a doctor as he is :)

Oh, also the International Womens Day is a good example too. White men cannot stand anything that is not catered for them, hence why the demands for International Mens Day, which there is.

This was quite illuminating I thought, the only time it gets much mention, is around IWD. Basically, guys like to go "Wahhhh Wahhh Wahhh, what about me" a lot:

2v9t4ye.jpg

Oh, also the International Womens Day is a good example too. White men cannot stand anything that is not catered for them, hence why the demands for International Mens Day, which there is.

This was quite illuminating I thought, the only time it gets much mention, is around IWD. Basically, guys like to go "Wahhhh Wahhh Wahhh, what about me" a lot:

2v9t4ye.jpg

But we do have a day. It's called 'International talk like a pirate day' and it's ace.

Conclusive proof that Tim is getting more than Pap is!

sex_zpsnp5al2lc.jpg

Bah, you're not comparing apples with apples, Bear.

Either change my search name to "Sex with Paul" (who the fúck calls themselves "pap", FFS?) or compare "Sex with Pap" with "Sex with buctootim".

The parallels with racist threads I find interesting.

I guess it's mostly down to privilege. I honestly don't think many of the posters are massively misogynistic in nature, and probably are mostly decent folk. However, privilege is a funny thing and does funny things to folk.

The things I mention are really really tame, but seem to get quite the reaction. For example, "maybe guys should think about where they put their penis and the possible consequences" is met with utter disdain. I don't think the board is full of potential rapists, but it's asking straight white guys to maybe try thinking about others in a society that is pretty much centred around them that seems such disdainful reactions. The racism threads are similar, the "don't make an issue of race, treat it all the same" stuff is a classic example of this. It's very easy for a straight white guy (which includes myself) to say just don't make an issue of racism. It can be well intentioned (I believe it was), however the reality for people who are from minority groups to treat race as a non-issue when they are confronted by it on a daily basis is probably a kick in the shins.

That is privilege, I don't believe it is possible for straight white guys to be sufferers of sexism or racism in this country. That's not to say they(/we) can't be subjected to sexist or racist comments.

Anyway, more power to you Lou. Keep on posting a long those lines, I will too. Have to admit, I do quite enjoy watching how angry people get at the mere suggestion women be treated as people and that sometimes guys everyday 'normal' behaviour can indeed be a bit ****ty. A few minor changes could possibly make everyone's life better. Apparently that is a controversial view point, let's all just be nicer to each other.

I feel confident to have those conversations, because I know I'm not on any level whatsoever, the angry, man hating, ballbreaker feminist, that guys still seem to associate with 'feminism'. It's just not in me to think like that. Same as I feel confident to put a message out on an internet forum asking if anyone wants to meet for a drink, without worrying about people thinking I'm unpopular, because I'm pretty confident about my popularity in the first place.

If that makes sense.

I feel confident to have those conversations, because I know I'm not on any level whatsoever, the angry, man hating, ballbreaker feminist, that guys still seem to associate with 'feminism'. It's just not in me to think like that. Same as I feel confident to put a message out on an internet forum asking if anyone wants to meet for a drink, without worrying about people thinking I'm unpopular, because I'm pretty confident about my popularity in the first place.

If that makes sense.

Tbf you can't be supremely confident of that fact since you can't truly know how others perceive you to be.