England Team Tonight

mattsbignose

Since 1966 only one England manager has beaten a previous World Cup winner in any competitive fixture . Sven , Germany 5-1 & Argentina 1-0 ,despite the media love in of robson & venables I don't think they beat a previous winner and I can't think of another one .

Well... Keegan's England beat Germany in Euro 2000.

It's worth considering how often they even PLAY a World Cup winner - they played about 2 a year from 1994-1999 and only Spain and Germany draws in Euro 96 (or a win and a defeat if pens are included), Italy in 98 Qualifiers and Argentina in WC 98 were even competitive matches, so basically one a season - and of those all were draws except one defeat to Italy.

Edited by The9

Since 1966 only one England manager has beaten a previous World Cup winner in any competitive fixture . Sven , Germany 5-1 & Argentina 1-0 ,despite the media love in of robson & venables I don't think they beat a previous winner and I can't think of another one .

Ron Greenwood, England 2 Italy 0. 1977. Keegan and Brooking scored. :smug:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/15/roy-hodgson-nathaniel-clyne-england?CMP=share_btn_tw

This is incredible. Hodgson literally confirms he'll pick names over form

We think Nathaniel Clyne is a very good player but I would be disappointed if anyone thought that on the basis of a good season with their clubs they can walk in and demand a place.

Trash speak by Hodgson. What's his thoughts on Chambers getting into the team then? He'd just signed for Arsenal.

And since when has Phil Jones been a top quality player? All I ever see is people saying ''he could be great'', but he's bang average. The most memorable part of his game are his facial impressions. And they are as awkward as his game.

That's the most ridiculous pile of sh*t i've ever heard from any manager. Why has Delph got into the side? He didn't even have as good a season as Clyne so on what basis has he forced his way in? When has Phil Jones EVER produced performances at right back like Clyne has?

F*cking unbelievable.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/15/roy-hodgson-nathaniel-clyne-england?CMP=share_btn_tw

This is incredible. Hodgson literally confirms he'll pick names over form

He's not saying that at all. I read that as just because a player has a top club season doesn't give them the divine right to pull on an England shirt which IMO is right. Don't get me wrong, Clyne should be starting but if he's got a bad attitude then the bench is where he'll stay.

Delph plays for villa and starts regularly now.

...at last Jack Wilshere got some luck, but after a dismal firsat half, it took Adam Lallana's hard work to create the chances that gave Jack those two goals.

I wouldn't say those two finishes were lucky. Both superb. Had a bit of luck the first one ran to him but two absolute worldies

He's not saying that at all. I read that as just because a player has a top club season doesn't give them the divine right to pull on an England shirt which IMO is right. Don't get me wrong, Clyne should be starting but if he's got a bad attitude then the bench is where he'll stay.

Delph plays for villa and starts regularly now.

Completely agree.

Not that it will stop the paranoid bedwetting on here regarding howwible old Roy and how he, like, never ever picks any Saints players, like ever or nothing.

Pretty obviously, Hodgson is commenting on Clyne's attitude and reminding him, quite rightly, that he picks the team, son. Good on him.

I wouldn't say those two finishes were lucky. Both superb. Had a bit of luck the first one ran to him but two absolute worldies

I meant that he was lucky to get the two chances, considering his abysmal first half.... but I agree... his goals were really great finishes.

It was Lallana's work to create those chances that I really commented on.