England Team Tonight

mattsbignose

4 years ago Lallana had just been promoted with us from League One. The last couple of years they've both had loads of injuries.

And I'm pretty sure I've said it on this site, I've said it at some point in the past. Distant past. And I was shouted down then. Doesn't matter if he was L1 at the time or not, you could see he was a class.

Good jump Gibbs. I can see why Martin Keown said that if you and Bertrand were both at arsenal you would play more.

Didn't he say that Bertrand would be second choice behind Gibbs if both were at Arsenal? Given Gibbs is second choice behind Monreal, that would mean Bertrand would go from PFA team of the year to Arsenal third choice LB. Yep, Martin Keown, you're earning your money as a clued up pundit!

And I'm pretty sure I've said it on this site, I've said it at some point in the past. Distant past. And I was shouted down then. Doesn't matter if he was L1 at the time or not, you could see he was a class.

That's a fair shout. He changed the game tonight and is a real talent....... unfortunately, he's not ours anymore.

Some embarrassing comments on this thread, I do wonder if a lot of you know much about football. And then of course Alpine has to chip in, hoping England lose, this guy who f*cks off to Austria and is forever whinging about the country and whinging about Saints. Well Alpine f*ck off you utter tw*t.

Mods, infract me or ban me if you like, in the immortal words of Morgan Freeman "I don't give a ****".

Definitely wrong. We beat Belgium in Italia 90 for one.

ah ok.

Didn't sound true. It was Martin Lipton (journo) who posted that.

No doubt he would qualify that by saying Belgium would not have been classed as a top side then...

ah ok.

No doubt he would qualify that by saying Belgium would not have been classed as a top side then...

Well they were semi finalists in Mexico 86. We've also beaten Paraguay, Cameroon and Denmark in World cup knockout rounds but whether they are classed as top sides, depends on your perception. All got out of their respective groups.

Edited by krissyboy31

Maybe so, but it is winning that counts and they have not won a WC.

Not really. That's the kind of logic the Skates use when they bang on about their trophies and stuff they won before WW2.

I would rather been Dutch and know my team has a half decent chance of making it to the final of a tournament. England you can pretty much guarantee will amble through the qualifiers with unispiring performances against Montenegro or Azerbaijan then come up short against anyone remotely decent in a tournament.

When was the last time we beat a properly decent team in a major tournament?

2014 - Lost to Italy and Uruguay

2012 - Drew with Italy and France

2010 - Spanked by Germany

2008 - DNQ

2006 - Drew with Portugal

2004 - Drew with Portugal, lost to France

2002 - Hey, we beat a below par Argentina side 1-0

2000 - We beat Germany but they really were sh*te back then. Lost to Portugal and Romania.

1998 - Drew with Argentina

1996 - Beat the Dutch Drew with Spain

That's two decent teams we've beaten in 20 years. A trophy we won 50 years ago really isn't much comfort.

makes you laugh how Jones (who has been average at his very best for united at CB) was picked for two games running at RB ahead of Clyne.

Now, I know clyne has not been brilliant lately but that is still better than anything jones can produce at RB

it took 84 mins to get an actual Right Back on the pitch. Just think about that for a sec

Edited by Batman

Belgium in 1990 was a top side is it? They're having a purple patch right now, but don't kid yourself.

Shall we throw in when we beat Paraguay and Denmark and Ecuador and Cameroon in knock out matches too? Check us out.

Read my next post!

I see. So you did throw them in. Well done.

For top side, lets say someone concievably cabable of winning a major trophy.

Please do come back and tell me about Denmark winning Euro 92. Please do.

I see. So you did throw them in. Well done.

For top side, lets say someone concievably cabable of winning a major trophy.

Please do come back and tell me about Denmark winning Euro 92. Please do.

Not saying that at all but Belgium were a decent side in late 80's early 90's. If the rankings existed back then they would have been above, or at least on a par with England and should have beaten us in Italy but they didn't.

Papering over the cracks again, nice one England. The best thing Hodgson ever did was keep Harry away from the England job, though now I wonder how differently it would've gone...

Just about his only saving grace!!

Mind you he did make us a shedfull of money last season by bigging up all our England stars and virtually forcing them to move to so called bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England.

ah ok.

Also that match was a draw in 90 minutes...

I didnt say he looked up. That was Lee Dixon. Ecellent finish. Sent the keeper the wrong way.

I suppose that makes up for the two crap failures to take nailed on opportunities. Rooney is good but he is not great. He is not worth the money that Man U are paying him and he should not be an automatic starter for England. All IMHO.

Not really. That's the kind of logic the Skates use when they bang on about their trophies and stuff they won before WW2.

I would rather been Dutch and know my team has a half decent chance of making it to the final of a tournament. England you can pretty much guarantee will amble through the qualifiers with unispiring performances against Montenegro or Azerbaijan then come up short against anyone remotely decent in a tournament.

2008 - DNQ

2000 - We beat Germany but they really were sh*te back then. Lost to Portugal and Romania.

That's two decent teams we've beaten in 20 years. A trophy we won 50 years ago really isn't much comfort.

Beat the Argentinians, Dutch and the Germans - in the group - so not knockout matches which was the original quote.

I think the main point it makes is that England don't even play that many international knockout matches to begin with.

2008 - DNQ

Shocking record. Mind you, if we'd been half decent at taking penalties ....

Beat the Argentinians, Dutch and the Germans - in the group - so not knockout matches which was the original quote.

I think the main point it makes is that England don't even play that many international knockout matches to begin with.

I know, I was replying to a different post that the Dutch have under-performed because they haven't won a World Cup.

Shocking record. Mind you, if we'd been half decent at taking penalties ....

I wouldn't really count that as a win, it's basically a lottery because you can't separate two teams after more than two hours of football.

The teams we did beat weren't all that good either. That Dutch team played out a 0-0 draw with Scotland and Argentina scraped an ill-deserved draw (injury time penalty rebound converted from a blatant encroachment IIRC) against Sweden.

I was being kind stopping at Euro 96, which was our last decent tournament. We didn't qualify for USA 94 and finished bottom of our group at Euro 92.

....but don't you know... the media don't like to have " foreign " managers for the England team....?

Sorry about misspelling his name. (I also misspelled misspelled but autocorrect fixed it for me.) Pulis being Welsh is only slightly foreign and he would count as home grown if he were a player. That being said, I think he would (assuming he performs as he normally does) get the most out of the English squad and would figure out how to put together a defense. Before long fans would be chanting "boring boring England" and they won international matches against top clubs.

Woy says he would 'take a lucky win'. What a disgraceful attitude.

I guess he got his wish today. There is really nothing wrong with taking a lucky win--it is targeting a lucky win against an inferior team that is the problem.

Just find watching England so tedious at the moment.

Clyne & Bertrand should obviously start (even two work mates who are Chelsea & West Ham fans agree on that). But they won't

Still, Ricky scoring for England as a Saints player vs Scotland was one of my all time best moments in recent times. Wonder if there will be any more as good as that?

Don't hold your breath. The next possible one will be Southampton's qualification for the Champions League.

That is absurd logic. Why are China, Russia and the USA not in your figures?

Simply not how it works. We all know there are issues with our national game but why people expect us to be all conquering despite these issues is beyond me!

To be fair, the USA has done as well or better than England in the last two world cups. We have not done as well in the Euro, but we often win the Gold Cup which is what we have. Next years Copa American 100th anniversary tournament may tell us more, unless it is canceled because of its connection to the FIFA scandal.

Holland are supposed to be all that's good about football. How many World Cups have they won?

None. But they have certainly outperformed England overall.

Nope- it's obvious why Roy didn't give Clyne a game. It's because he isn't at a top 4 club. Roy has told him that to play- you have to go to Man U.

So basically, Roy is integral to helping the top 4 clubs tap up our players, and ultimately, means Clyne will leave.

#andrantover

Lol soz guys im just pis*ed off and angry and literally that was my thinking right now. I actually hope we lose- Roy needs to go. Simple as that.

I have no idea if that is true, but it would be nice, if it is true, if some player would come out and publically say that it is happening.

That won't happen, it should have done after the Brazil debacle. What will happen is that we will qualify (via an easy group), then be a total disaster at a major tournament again at which point the FA will call for yet another "root and branches" review of English football (nothing will change as usual).

And given that their reviews always come up with stupid ideas, it won't matter to the success of the English team if things do change.

Who would do better than Hodgson? Maybe Pardew's turn but I doubt he would take it, too much sense

Koeman?

Lets hope not.

Mind you he did make us a shedfull of money last season by bigging up all our England stars and virtually forcing them to move to so called bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England.

This.

Or, he did absolutely no such thing.

But they were already playing for England, the statement is a contradiction in terms.

Lallana, Lambert, JRod, Clyne, Bertrand, Shaw all played for England whilst at Southampton. This argument that Hodgson only picks players from the big clubs just does not stand up. Delph plays for Villa, a team close to getting relegated this Summer, he is a regular starter for England. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with everything Hodgson does, picking Jones ahead of Clyne for instance but it seems that people just want to knock him because that is the thing to do.

But they were already playing for England, the statement is a contradiction in terms.

Lallana, Lambert, JRod, Clyne, Bertrand, Shaw all played for England whilst at Southampton. This argument that Hodgson only picks players from the big clubs just does not stand up. Delph plays for Villa, a team close to getting relegated this Summer, he is a regular starter for England. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with everything Hodgson does, picking Jones ahead of Clyne for instance but it seems that people just want to knock him because that is the thing to do.

yes they were....last season, but with just 3 exceptions, yesterday's starting side included players from clubs who had qualified for CL next season.

yes they were....last season, but with just 3 exceptions, yesterday's starting side included players from clubs who had qualified for CL next season.

Read the quote I was commenting on again:

"virtually forcing them to move to so called bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England."

He is suggesting Hodgson forced players to join bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England when they were already playing for England.

Read the quote I was commenting on again:

"virtually forcing them to move to so called bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England."

He is suggesting Hodgson forced players to join bigger clubs if they wanted to play for England when they were already playing for England.

What really is the difference between playing for us and playing for Liverpool or Spurs next season. If we get through the qual rounds, we have all got Europa League. Those that left us talk about it being a big step up due to expectations, but does that really make a difference to your ability as a player?

We often focus on the mistakes and errors when watching England. Re-watched the game last night and we were the better side, controlled the match for long periods and created at least 3 good chances in the first half (Sterling twice and Rooney) which we should have scored. A couple of defensive errors and we are 1-0 down at half time. The 2nd half was even more one sided and Rooney should have had a hat-trick. Although Gibbs got caught under the ball for the Slovenia equaliser, it was a good goal.

Clearly England are not at the same level as Germany or Argentina at the moment, but they have enough talent and ability and I believe we have stumbled on a formation that suits (4-3-3). We should be looking to be a team about pace upfront, and we need to sort out CB as I think GK and fullbacks are fine (provided you play full backs there and not Phil Jones). England need one more win to qualify and because of the increased size of the competition next year, I can easily see England getting to the QF's - and then it depends on the draw. By the way, do you think Belgium are having meltdowns this weekend after losing to the Welsh?

And, like, none of them were from League One clubs neither.

It's an outrage and no mistake.