Home grown, 25 man squad and U21

angelman

I disagree with your "rota"/"roster" description, they are two different things, a rota is a list of people with the time they do tasks, a roster is just a list of available people.

And yes, "roster" is a bit of an Americanism, but what with the internet globalising language terms, most people were over caring about that kind of thing 15 years ago. I certainly was, and it still drives me nuts when people can't tell the difference between "bought" and "brought" or "our" and "are".

Not that it matters, but they are not different things.

[h=1]Synonyms of rota in English:[/h][h=3]noun[/h]Britishroster, list, schedule, register, timetable, calendar

My point anyway was to emphasise that we do not use either in this country for football (soccer) related matters, because the term squad is used not only in English but in all of the official UEFA regulations. Why Redslo continues to use the term roster is beyond me, though technically there is nothing wrong with it.

[h=1]Synonyms of rota in English:[/h][h=3]noun[/h]Britishroster, list, schedule, register, timetable, calendar

My point anyway was to emphasise that we do not use either in this country for football (soccer) related matters, because the term squad is used not only in English but in all of the official UEFA regulations. Why Redslo continues to use the term roster is beyond me, though technically there is nothing wrong with it.

You are both right and wrong. A rosta can be a list of members of a team or organisation, or a list of people and the tasks they are assigned. A rota can only be the latter. We all know that Redslo was using the first meaning, so in that case the two words are not interchangeable.

Synonyms don't have to have the exact same meaning, only some overlapping meaning. Which would be as I've indicated - some rotas are rosters. Not all rosters are rotas.

PS Clue: he's american and that's what americans call lists of players. I also find the term "depth chart" very useful, as there's no equivalent term in British English.

You are both right and wrong. A rosta can be a list of members of a team or organisation, or a list of people and the tasks they are assigned. A rota can only be the latter. We all know that Redslo was using the first meaning, so in that case the two words are not interchangeable.

Quite. Except he's just wrong. :)

Synonyms don't have to have the exact same meaning, only some overlapping meaning. Which would be as I've indicated - some rotas are rosters. Not all rosters are rotas.

PS Clue: he's american and that's what americans call lists of players. I also find the term "depth chart" very useful, as there's no equivalent term in British English.

Does it really matter? Never had you down as an mlg clone ;-) The whole point is that use of roster or rota is just not right when talking about British football teams. The correct term is Squad. Doesn't bother me much if Redslo carries on using Americanisms but if he were to use the appropriate term, i.e. squad, he wouldn'grate with some of the fussy fsnnies.

Does it really matter? Never had you down as an mlg clone ;-) The whole point is that use of roster or rota is just not right when talking about British football teams. The correct term is Squad. Doesn't bother me much if Redslo carries on using Americanisms but if he were to use the appropriate term, i.e. squad, he wouldn'grate with some of the fussy fsnnies.

If anything he's a poor man's version of Saints Forever me.

How about we talk about the 25 man squad rather than the entymology of words like rota, roster etc? :mcinnes:

"Etymology".

Ok, that's enough of that. :D

What's there to discuss, really? It's a list of the players we have, we're nowhere near the limit of players and we've got enough homegrowns so it's not an issue in the Prem.

If I can consistently refer to what I have always thought of as soccer as football to the point where I have occasionally confused some of my American friends, I think I can be cut some slack on roster--a word which actually creates no confusion in this context.

As for the topic itself, what is going to happen next year when Turnbull, Stephens, Gape, and Ward-Prowse all have to be on the 25 person squad roster rosta list timetable schedule thingy?

• 1 month later...

The Premier League has published the full 25 man squads (in our case 24 man squad) for each PL side plus list of all scholars

Premer League 25 man squads plus scholars

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

*Bertrand, Ryan

*Caulker, Steven Roy

Clasie, Jordy

*Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

*Davis, Steven

Fonte, Jose Miguel

*Forster, Fraser Gerard

Gardos, Florin

Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

*Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

Jimenez Lopez, Juan Miguel

*Long, Shane Patrick

Mane, Sadio

Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

Pelle, Graziano

Ramirez Pereyra, Gaston Exequiel

*Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

Stekelenburg, Maarten

Tadic, Dusan

Van Dijk, Virgil

Vidal, Oriol Romeu

Wanyama, Victor

Yoshida, Maya

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)

Bakary, Mohamed Richard

Barnes, Marcus Thomas

Britt, William David

Clinton, Kyle

Cook, Oliver David Paul

Cull, Benjamin Simon

Cvjeticanin, Oskar

Debayo, Joshua Akinkunmi

Flannigan, Jake

Gallagher, Samuel James

Gape, Dominic Edward

Hallett, Jake

Hesketh, Jake Alexander

Isted, Harvey James Duke

Johnson, Tyreke Martin

Jones, Alfie

Kayembe, Carel

Langan, Connor John

Lea, Joseph William

Lewis, Harry Charles John

Little, Armani

McCarthy, Jason Sean

McQueen, Samuel James

Mdlalose, Siphesihle Thembinkosi

Mugabi, Bevis Kristofer Kizito

Murray, Joshua

Musendo, Rugare David

Nlundulu, Dan

Olomola, Olufela

Osborn, Neal Paul Sean

Reed, Harrison James

Rowthorn, Ben John

Seager, Ryan Paul

Sims, Joshua Samuel

Slattery, Callum

Stephens, Jack

Targett, Matthew Robert

Thomas, Archie Alexander

Turnbull, Jordan Robert

Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

Wilkin, Stuart John

Willard, Harley Bryn

Wood, William Nicholas

Does anyone know who the bolded players are? They weren't included in the 11 new scholars announced on the OS on 29 July, which included Yann Valery and Thomas O'Connor who are not listed by the Premier League.

Hopefully the OS will update the U18 profiles soon. While the OS has massively improved over the last couple of years in virtually every respect, the youth player profiles always seems to be very out of date. At present it omits all the new scholars and other recent additions and even one 2nd year scholar.

An important point worth making is that if roster becomes synonymous with squad, then we could end up with a large team/squad photo folded up inside the match day programme or the Echo, labelled as the Saints FC Roster Poster.

It you wanted that to rhyme though you'd have to pronounce "roster" as "roaster", leading to a Saints FC Roaster Poster which, given the reputation of professional footballers, would be something entirely different :scared:

Murray, Joshua

Thomas, Archie Alexander

Does anyone know who the bolded players are? They weren't included in the 11 new scholars announced on the OS on 29 July, which included Yann Valery and Thomas O'Connor who are not listed by the Premier League.

Just a thought, but maybe they are the 2 "trialists" who have played in the most recent u18s matches. No mention of them in u18s matches otherwise. I would assume Joshua Murray is not the Man City u18 defender of the same name, given that he is listed for Many City as well, but I suppose its possible (would be quite a coup if it was, he is very highly thought of). I think Archie Thomas is a 16 year old (born Aylesbury Vale 1999) from what I can find out, there are too many Joshua Thomas' to be able to identify him in the same way.

If I can consistently refer to what I have always thought of as soccer as football to the point where I have occasionally confused some of my American friends, I think I can be cut some slack on roster--a word which actually creates no confusion in this context.

As for the topic itself, what is going to happen next year when Turnbull, Stephens, Gape, and Ward-Prowse all have to be on the 25 person squad roster rosta list timetable schedule thingy?

We'll loan out enough players to make naming a decent 25 viable.

We'll loan out enough players to make naming a decent 25 viable.

We also have 2 loanees, who presumably won't be here next season, Kelvin should finally have retired, Ramirez' contract will have finished and Vic will be at Spuds playing in the Championship (OK, the last is wishful thinking).

Just a thought, but maybe they are the 2 "trialists" who have played in the most recent u18s matches. No mention of them in u18s matches otherwise. I would assume Joshua Murray is not the Man City u18 defender of the same name, given that he is listed for Many City as well, but I suppose its possible (would be quite a coup if it was, he is very highly thought of). I think Archie Thomas is a 16 year old (born Aylesbury Vale 1999) from what I can find out, there are too many Joshua Thomas' to be able to identify him in the same way.

Archie Thomas played for the u18s today (lost to Chelsea 3-1).

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the OS will update the U18 profiles soon. While the OS has massively improved over the last couple of years in virtually every respect, the youth player profiles always seems to be very out of date. At present it omits all the new scholars and other recent additions and even one 2nd year scholar.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/youth/u18-profiles/

The U18 profiles have been updated, albeit still omit Oskar Cvjeticanin (he was missing all of last season), Yann Valery and Joshua Murray. Photos still to come.

• 4 months later...

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/feb/020216-2015-2016-premier-league-squads-announced.html

Updated 25 man and youth squads announced. Main changes since August:

25 man squad

In: Charlie Austin

Out: Steven Caulker and Gaston Ramirez

Under 21 (contract and scholars)

In: Thomas O'Connor and Yann Valery

Out: Oskar Cvjeticanin, Harry Isted and Joshua Murray

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/feb/020216-2015-2016-premier-league-squads-announced.html

Updated 25 man and youth squads announced. Main changes since August:

25 man squad

In: Charlie Austin

Out: Steven Caulker and Gaston Ramirez

Under 21 (contract and scholars)

In: Thomas O'Connor and Yann Valery

Out: Oskar Cvjeticanin, Harry Isted and Joshua Murray

So does this indicate we'll be after a couple of 'Home grown' players at least if Isgrove & Kelvin leave in the summer?

Or will we just 'promote' Targett & JWP?

Has Oskar left?

He was on the bench for the U18s last week so it's sudden if he has. Despite being a 2nd year scholar, he's never been listed in the OS U18 profiles* so we can't read anything into his absence from that. The club clearly wanting to keep his arrival and (possible) departure a secret.

* The OS profiles generally are pretty unreliable. Sam Gallagher's currently missing from both the U21 and first team squad, for example. Since he's no longer on loan he ought to be shown in one of them.

Thought the assumption we won't keep Stekelenburg then being followed by "not sure we have enough depth with an U21 to cover for Gazzaniga" was a bit weird. One easily solves the other just by holding Gazzaniga in the Dev squad.

Great article though, lots of useful information. Vague annoyance that Gazzaniga came to the UK 6 months too late to qualify as Association Trained.

F**king 'rosters'. That's just so, tongue pushing out within bottom lip noise inducing.

As he says, "Please note that, as an American, I find it easier to talk about rosters than squads. I hope everyone can live with that."

:hunt::hunt::D

Thought the assumption we won't keep Stekelenburg then being followed by "not sure we have enough depth with an U21 to cover for Gazzaniga" was a bit weird. One easily solves the other just by holding Gazzaniga in the Dev squad.

Great article though, lots of useful information. Vague annoyance that Gazzaniga came to the UK 6 months too late to qualify as Association Trained.

My assumption was that Stekelenburg was here auditioning for a starting job somewhere and would not want to stay unless he couldn't find one. If he were willing to stay it would provide great depth for the club/team/squad/roster where we have always lacked it before. On the other hand Gazzaniga may have signed his long term contract expecting to be the number two with a theoretical chance to compete for number one.

My assumption was that Stekelenburg was here auditioning for a starting job somewhere and would not want to stay unless he couldn't find one. If he were willing to stay it would provide great depth for the club/team/squad/roster where we have always lacked it before. On the other hand Gazzaniga may have signed his long term contract expecting to be the number two with a theoretical chance to compete for number one.

I think we're keeping Gazza with a view to having developed a cheap Prem keeper in 10 years' time tbh.

Fair enough re: Stek - I think he'd have gone elsewhere already if the Dutch had made the Euros but without that he's got no incentive other than playing to get a new deal - and if we match his current money he might be fine to sign a permanent deal with us. He's out of contract, we're already showing we'll pay his wages (to some extent) with both he and Forster AND Gazzaniga and Davis, and he knows the set up, so why not?

• 3 weeks later...

Query for Redslo which he may be able to answer from his excellent research. In your blog you say that:

"A player is eligible to be place on Southampton’s “B” list if they were born on or after 1 January 1995 and were eligible to play for Southampton for any two uninterrupted years since their 15th birthday. If they are 16, then need to have been registered with Southampton for the last two years."

I assume that the Under 21s we have sent out on loan this season would all be eligible for a European B list in 16/17 on the basis that each (Seager, Gallagher, McCarthy, McQueen) had been eligible to play for us for 2 uninterrupted years before they went on loan?

Will Britt, on the other hand, who joined us in 2012 but seems to have been shipped out on loan to various clubs since then (Norwich, Maidenhead, Bognor Regis, Norwich again) and does not appear to have been with us for a 2 year uninterrupted period. I don't think he is eligible for the B list next year - and I think this explains why he was omitted from this year's list (I had assumed it was because he was injured).

I think Harry Lewis would also be ineligible for a 2016/17 B list having only joined us at the start of this season. Tyreke Johnson joined us in early August 2014 so wouldn't be eligible for a B list until early August 2016.

With Harry Isted having left and Davis and Stekelenburg probably not around next year, the goalkeeping position is an obvious area for strengthening as your blog highlights. Of course we could include Britt and/or Lewis on the A list.

Edited by Over land and sea