The Squad

Matthew Le God

Lets just see how we get on without a massive windwall of £150M through player sales to invest in the squad from a set of players who collectively cost next to nothing to bring into the side. If we're acting relatively conservatively in those circumstances and with fhe huge riches which the PL brings, I wonder what what we'll be looking like in a couple of years time on all fronts.

So what do you actually think the club should do?

From your posts I can only deduce you want the club to never sell any players (assumingly letting them walk for free at the end of their contracts) and invest a shed load of cash on new players every summer.

So what do you actually think the club should do?

From your posts I can only deduce you want the club to never sell any players (assumingly letting them walk for free at the end of their contracts) and invest a shed load of cash on new players every summer.

From what I write you deduce that I think we should never sell any players? Utter nonsense, I've never said anything of the sort. We should invest what's necessary to match our aims. If it's a genuine sustained top table/European qualification with the prospect of being in place should one or two of the big guns cock up, then it will take pretty big investment to sustain. We've taken advantage of the momentum of the last few years and a rare situation to generate huge sums of cash. We won't be able to do it again anytime soon. Have we done enough to take full advantage of that situation even in the medium term? Remains to be seen on the playing side of things at least.

For you, it appears to be. Ultimately our ability to grow and thrive will depend on our ability to generate fees for players to offset the current meagre net spend. It's not the be all and end all given the risks and trade-offs but it will shape the decisions we make and the players we target. It has succeeded so far; let's see how successful it is going forward. It isn't that difficult. Enjoy the rest of the evening.

I fail you see what you're arguing about as Fry is saying the exact same. He sees it as a decent model and you appear not to.

From what I write you deduce that I think we should never sell any players? Utter nonsense, I've never said anything of the sort. We should invest what's necessary to match our aims. If it's a genuine sustained top table/European qualification with the prospect of being in place should one or two of the big guns cock up, then it will take pretty big investment to sustain. We've taken advantage of the momentum of the last few years and a rare situation to generate huge sums of cash. We won't be able to do it again anytime soon. Have we done enough to take full advantage of that situation even in the medium term? Remains to be seen on the playing side of things at least.

People seem to think the money has just vanished. What's not to say it's not sat in a rainy day account for medium term use?

FWIW, JWP will be the next one of our academy to go; for north of £15m as well.

Jesus last summer you were melt down central every time a player was sold. If investing to match our aims makes you happy then the club were pretty clear last year they budget to finish 10th but hope to do better on that criteria I think were doing very well with squad investment. The big problem here is the fans dreams/hopes aren't necessarily the same as the clubs aims thus the meltdowns every time we flog a good player or don't spend shed loads on that players replacement.

People seem to think the money has just vanished. What's not to say it's not sat in a rainy day account for medium term use?

FWIW, JWP will be the next one of our academy to go; for north of £15m as well.

I thought some of it was used to pay off nicky's loans and spiralling training ground costs...I could be wrong though.

I watched it too as soon as I got home. Why do we put ourselves through this?

I wanted to see if there was any obvious reason we lost. We were just insipid, got sucked into their play-breaking and time-wasting, and didn't have any better ideas than using our worst crosser to sling the ball into the box for the best part of an hour. Plus long ball in the rain is a mug's game, half the passes just skid off the pitch.

I haven't studied Saints' accounts, but I do know that over the past couple of years we have made a couple of hefty "investment" payments for other than incoming transfer fees.

One was the cost of the new training facility upgrade, reported to be nearly £40m and the other was to pay off a lingering Cortese-era BVI loan at around £30m.

In my mind I see that as the company clearing up its legacy debt using part of the "windfall" transfer fees, so freeing up more future revenue streams for squad-related expenditure. I think that's a good thing.

For you, it appears to be. Ultimately our ability to grow and thrive will depend on our ability to generate fees for players to offset the current meagre net spend. It's not the be all and end all given the risks and trade-offs but it will shape the decisions we make and the players we target. It has succeeded so far; let's see how successful it is going forward. It isn't that difficult. Enjoy the rest of the evening.

Dear me. Still getting it arse about face.

Oh well. I love the way the club is being run. You don't. Fair enough.

I haven't studied Saints' accounts, but I do know that over the past couple of years we have made a couple of hefty "investment" payments for other than incoming transfer fees.

One was the cost of the new training facility upgrade, reported to be nearly £40m and the other was to pay off a lingering Cortese-era BVI loan at around £30m.

In my mind I see that as the company clearing up its legacy debt using part of the "windfall" transfer fees, so freeing up more future revenue streams for squad-related expenditure. I think that's a good thing.

I haven't studied the accounts either but that is pretty much the assumption I've taken when you look at our spending. Our legacy debt (including substantial back loaded transfer fees for players already at the club, the training ground, and any loans) has been drastically cut whilst we have also spent money on ensuring the squad remains fed and watered - even if we know we buy worse players than those we sold (though the players have potential to go on and be good).

It's a big summer next year because:

a) the new TV deal kicks in and we must start spending more on wages to keep our better players for longer (or give us a chance to)

b) it is the summer the club have targeted for the past two years to make huge strides in commercial revenue (this also helps with the point above as commercial revenue is the king when it comes to FFP and what you can and can't do assuming you aren't selling players for significant amounts each summer)

c) it is a summer where the club does not have to worry about debt and can instead make calculated investments in the squad

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't studied the accounts either but that is pretty much the assumption I've taken when you look at our spending. Our legacy debt (including substantial back loaded transfer fees for players already at the club, the training ground, and any loans) has been drastically cut whilst we have also spent money on ensuring the squad remains fed and watered - even if we know we buy worse players than those we sold (though the players have potential to go on and be good).

It's a big summer next year because:

a) the new TV deal kicks in and we must start spending more on wages to keep our better players for longer (or give us a chance to)

b) it is the summer the club have targeted for the past two years to make huge strides in commercial revenue (this also helps with the point above as commercial revenue is the king when it comes to FFP and what you can and can't do assuming you aren't selling players for significant amounts each summer)

c) it is a summer where the club does not have to worry about debt and can instead make calculated investments in the squad

Will be interesting to see if we offer our key players massively improved deals BEFORE the market moves and wage demands rise or if it's going to be an even-faffier-than-usual summer with the top 6 clubs waiting as late as possible to meet the inflated wage demands of signings. There's SO much more money at Prem clubs from this new deal that the whole market is going to blow up and some weird stuff is probably going to happen before it settles down again.

We're pretty good at exploiting market inefficiencies so it might benefit us, but I can't imagine agents aren't going to be agitating more than ever before this season.

Will be interesting to see if we offer our key players massively improved deals BEFORE the market moves and wage demands rise or if it's going to be an even-faffier-than-usual summer with the top 6 clubs waiting as late as possible to meet the inflated wage demands of signings. There's SO much more money at Prem clubs from this new deal that the whole market is going to blow up and some weird stuff is probably going to happen before it settles down again.

We're pretty good at exploiting market inefficiencies so it might benefit us, but I can't imagine agents aren't going to be agitating more than ever before this season.

I think Les Reed said that Wayama has already been offered a new 5 year deal (though my recent recollection of his comments hasn't been accurate so that may need double checking :lol:) therefore I think the club are trying to plan as far ahead as possible.

I agree with you that the market will be a mess - everyone will be after the lions share of the new money and it'll be interesting to see what clubs act early and place their cards on the table and which wait and see what happens with the market.

• 2 months later...

Tonight's result highlights exactly how the board failed this summer. We have a larger squad. But we didn't replace Morgan. We didn't strengthen the defence and we signed caulker who is frankly worse than yoshi.

Clasie is invisible and our central midfield is where exactly? because it is non existent.

Can you actually imagine when Mane leaves? Christ.

It is also Koeman's fault now, he chose these players (granted we missed toby), and he is also trying to shoe-horn them into tactics that they simply can not manage.

He is obviously ****ed off as shown by his very public moaning about the transfer business this year. He certainly won't be signing a new contract and the question is whether he will go before this.

Long story short, we had a fantastic team and then we ****ed it all away. Good job to those involved!

And also... where the feck is our much fabled youth academy under this current set up... they have completely regressed, most our shipped out on loan, none are developing into first team assets and the majority have regressed in that regard.

Not a happy fan tonight.

Tonight's result highlights exactly how the board failed this summer. We have a larger squad. But we didn't replace Morgan. We didn't strengthen the defence and we signed caulker who is frankly worse than yoshi.

Clasie is invisible and our central midfield is where exactly? because it is non existent.

Can you actually imagine when Mane leaves? Christ.

It is also Koeman's fault now, he chose these players (granted we missed toby), and he is also trying to shoe-horn them into tactics that they simply can not manage.

He is obviously ****ed off as shown by his very public moaning about the transfer business this year. He certainly won't be signing a new contract and the question is whether he will go before this.

Long story short, we had a fantastic team and then we ****ed it all away. Good job to those involved!

And also... where the feck is our much fabled youth academy under this current set up... they have completely regressed, most our shipped out on loan, none are developing into first team assets and the majority have regressed in that regard.

Not a happy fan tonight.

Agree. Good post Sir.

Clasie OK

Cedirc. Meh - still cant believe people think he is an 8/10 player

Romeu. till dont get it

Martina is a fecking joke

VvD. Very good buy. Just not quite as good as toby IMO

Juanmi may as well go home.

Long. £12m. No matter how many justify it on here. it was a disgusting price and we should never ever had paid it

Tadic and mane very good as is bertand and forster

stek is decent