The Squad

Matthew Le God

van Dijk signing, Wanyama staying, Bertrand/Clasie back from injury & Koeman's options are looking good.

We aren't going to play the same XI every week, but one option would be...

CN0o3epWUAAZkb8.png:large

Plus...

Keepers - Forster, Davis, Gazzaniga

Defenders - Targett, Martina, Caulker, Yoshida, Gardos

Midfielders - Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Davis, Reed

Attacking players - Juanmi, Long, Ramirez

Edited by Matthew Le God

They certainly are.

I've been happy with the club's dealings throughout the summer, we all knew Clyne and Schneiderlin were off, and we got £40 million for the pair which was pretty much as good as we could have hoped. Not sure of the exact maths but basically we've now spent all of that on the new faces?

I personally think this is the strongest and more importantly most balanced side we could use. More than good enough for another top 8 finish in my opinion.

CN0sMuLWcAAg1IY.jpg:large

This is a great Line-up.

options of the bench in the form of Long, Juanmi & JRod - Stevie D & JWP for some legs when we need them and solid cover across the back.

I'm predicting the continuation of constantly improving league positions.

Top 4 - who cares

5th - Liverpool

6th - Saints

7th - Palace

8th - Spurs

van Dijk signing, Wanyama staying, Bertrand/Clasie back from injury & Koeman's options are looking good.

Plus...

That's a horrible line-up

Plus...

Why an earth would you have Tadic on the right. So obvious he's better on the left.

We aren't going to play the same XI every week, its just one option of a line-up. Some good depth and options for Koeman.

Seemed to me like you were posting your perceived strongest 11 with additions to that 11, no? Agree there seems to be good depth and options now.

Obviously we wont play the same 11 each week. Not sure why that was mentioned.

Seemed to me like you were posting your perceived strongest 11 with additions to that 11, no? Agree there seems to be good depth and options now.

Obviously we wont play the same 11 each week. Not sure why that was mentioned.

I mentioned it, because as most of the replies to this thread show... people will want to make changes to the one I suggested.

Why?

Way too open. If you're going with four attack-minded players (I wouldn't), I'd start Romeu over Clasie. In practice, I'd have Romeu and Wanyama in the middle, with one of Clasie, Davis and JWP (none of whom are ideal) in front of them. The front three from Jrod, Tadic, Pelle, Mané (not to mentiom Juanmi and Long) is debatable, though if you're opting for Tadic, at least, play him on the left.

I personally think this is the strongest and more importantly most balanced side we could use. More than good enough for another top 8 finish in my opinion.

Impressive. Assumes VvD is up to speed but I fully agree. Its probably the best optimised Saints 11 line in the up we could put out assuming the whole squad team is at full strength and we put balance and defensive impenetrability at a premium... Romey and Wanyama in front of that back four is like a steel curtain...and Clasie will chase all day too :-)

Way too open. If you're going with four attack-minded players (I wouldn't), I'd start Romeu over Clasie. In practice, I'd have Romeu and Wanyama in the middle, with one of Clasie, Davis and JWP (none of whom are ideal) in front of them. The front three from Jrod, Tadic, Pelle, Mané (not to mentiom Juanmi and Long) is debatable, though if you're opting for Tadic, at least, play him on the left.

Depends who we are playing.

I like that very much but where would you put Rodriguez? Pelle is on fire at the mo.

Any one of Romeu, Wamyama, Clasie with Rodriguez playing off of Pelle if we want to change the shape of the team, or for any one of Mane, Tadic, Pelle depending on form/fitness.

That's a really tasty line-up - and Jay Rod could play anywhere in the advanced four slots too.

I think we now have a better squad than last season and a comparable, possibly only very marginally weaker, starting XI

Assuming Clasie comes back, Romeu for Wanyama for the next few weeks, then rotate them according to card accumulations/suspensions. Against weaker sides, I'd like to see more of JWP as CM. Bit depressing for Reed, though.

I would not be surprised to see Yoshida playing right back for Cedric on occasion, especially when playing against strong sides away from home.

So if we had to make a second team- here goes!

Kelvin Davis/Gazzaniga (FF Injured)

Martina

Caulker

Yoshida

Targett

JWP

Reed

Steven Davis

Jay Rod

Juanmi

Long

(Not to forget Gardos, Gaston Ramirez and Forster)

That team looks decent on paper tbh- i reckon that 11 would be bottom half Prem team

The problem for MLG is as soon as conversations move away from stats and into actual football he's shown up time and again as being completely clueless. I can't help but think he'd be better off taking up a hobby like train spotting or competitive sudoku, something more fitting to a person like him than a sport.

The problem for MLG is as soon as conversations move away from stats and into actual football he's shown up time and again as being completely clueless. I can't help but think he'd be better off taking up a hobby like train spotting or competitive sudoku, something more fitting to a person like him than a sport.

Bloody hell! Not enough McInnes' in the world for that, so four will have to do... :mcinnes: :mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

I wasn't saying that should be the line-up in every game; I was giving a brief overview of options we now have. In any case Koeman uses the formation I used in the OP, has used all of those players in those positions and has used 4 attacking players in the front four roles before. So what did I do that was clueless...?

Edited by Matthew Le God

I like that very much but where would you put Rodriguez? Pelle is on fire at the mo.

was more saying that a fully fit and firing team would probably feature Rodriguez. It is good that Pelle has competition/a foil to play alongside when different formations are needed.

With the way the team was set out and played on Saturday, albeit against a weak Norwich side, we should be doing decent things again this season.

Lots of people seem to put Clasie in the wrong position.

I think Guan or Monk said that before his injury Clasie was training as the most forward of the three central midfielders, though his playing history and the opinions of the Dutch supporters who contribute here all seem to suggest he's a straightforward defensive midfielder. That said, Davis isn't a #10 either, so we're already playing someone in the wrong position there - perhaps the hope is that Clasie will just be less wrong?