Saints 0 FC Augsburg 4 - Match Thread

eurosaint

OK it's only a friendly so have to take the result with a pinch of salt but these games are about building momentum for the start of the season and currently we don't have any.

Got to be careful here, we have some very winnable games in the early part of the season and if we go through those games in a daze getting few points then we'll have to play catch up whilst facing the big boys.

We don't have the luxury of a bad start this season, we need points on the board from the off. I wouldn't want to be going into our final set of games in a dodgy position.

Agreed it was only a friendly. It would have been better not to get thrashed, but MP has probably got more from that than he would have done from an easy win.

In his post-match comments he didn't hide the fact that everything was wrong and hinted that he'd learned a few things about some of the players. I think it was mainly a team of likely fringe players being told to show what they can do, and unfortunately the answer was disappointing.

But I have a theory that when we cruise through pre-season we don't always start well, and the converse can also be true. We need some tough games and results to see who's got character and remove any complacency.

We'll see a very different team tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

[quote=Shroppie;25192 I think it was mainly a team of likely fringe players being told to show what they can do, and unfortunately the answer was disappointing.

At least 6 of the starting 11 will be first team regulars this season just as they were last season.

Agreed it was only a friendly. It would have been better not to get thrashed, but MP has probably got more from that than he would have done from an easy win.

In his post-match comments he didn't hide the fact that everything was wrong and hinted that he'd learned a few things about some of the players. I think it was mainly a team of likely fringe players being told to show what they can do, and unfortunately the answer was disappointing.

But I have a theory that when we cruise through pre-season we don't always start well, and the converse can also be true. We need some tough games and results to see who's got character and remove any complacency.

We'll see a very different team tomorrow.

We wont see a very different team, but hopefully we will see a very different outcome. Did an 8 hour round journey to see that and believe me it wasn't pretty. It was also my sons first game at SMS..!! I have told him that things can only get better - we are going on Saturday - I'm dreading it.

They might have been decent, but we were woeful pretty much all over the park. I'm not convinced that Austin is 'all that', I know he's a good instinctive finisher, but we just don't get the ball into those areas enough to make the chances for him, and he's never going to be one to thrash one in from 30 yards or so. We were lightweight in midfield, constantly gave the ball away and rarely look forward. At the back - shocking - Bednarak and Pied scared the living daylights out of me.

In terms of style - it looked like no change to me - we might have had our share of the ball, but we rarely got it into the box, never mind look like scoring.

We need major improvement over the course of the next week.

I think the team has always functioned better with a Davis as one of the three behind the striker. He's tended to be the one who knits it all together, he's got the work-rate, movement and brain to make it work. Tadic - Boufal - Redmond is never going to work. JWP doesn't really offer anything as one of the three either.

Totally agree - I've long thought Saints play well when Davis plays well. Davis went under the radar but imo was a key reason behind the fab 15/16 end of season run.

Don't know the team well enough to say but just because Middlesbrough beat them doesn't define who they are. Maybe they had a **** game then. I wasn't there last night however and didn't even get to watch the whole match so probably wrong but of what I did see the passing, ball control, off the ball movement and first touch was extremely decent they seemed to have some decent pace and composure on their wingers too. Their goals weren't half bad either.

Boro fans at the game said Augsburg were a tidy outfit and the game was fairly even. Middlesbrough scored right near the end, but a draw would have been a much fairer reflection. Obviously even a draw vs Middlesbrough would not exactly be impressive, and doesn't offer much consolation for our result, but in terms of how much worse they were than Boro, it sounds like they weren't really.

We wont see a very different team, but hopefully we will see a very different outcome. Did an 8 hour round journey to see that and believe me it wasn't pretty. It was also my sons first game at SMS..!! I have told him that things can only get better - we are going on Saturday - I'm dreading it.

They might have been decent, but we were woeful pretty much all over the park. I'm not convinced that Austin is 'all that', I know he's a good instinctive finisher, but we just don't get the ball into those areas enough to make the chances for him, and he's never going to be one to thrash one in from 30 yards or so. We were lightweight in midfield, constantly gave the ball away and rarely look forward. At the back - shocking - Bednarak and Pied scared the living daylights out of me.

In terms of style - it looked like no change to me - we might have had our share of the ball, but we rarely got it into the box, never mind look like scoring.

We need major improvement over the course of the next week.

Where you say that we won't see a different team, which team where you referring too? We had about three or four different teams out there during the 90 minutes. Had MP chosen to start or finish with what he considered to be our strongest team, we would have had a better idea of how we will fare against Seville.

Where you say that we won't see a different team, which team where you referring too? We had about three or four different teams out there during the 90 minutes. Had MP chosen to start or finish with what he considered to be our strongest team, we would have had a better idea of how we will fare against Seville.

Yeah - totally agree - it was the point that I wanted to make and then didn't make all....! We saw pretty much the whole squad shoe horned into different teams at different points in the game. Have to say though - that none of those teams looked very good. I just hope you're right, and when we have our best 11 collectively, we look much better than Wednesday.

Sorry - was just so hacked off with the sum of the parts of the day - drive - weather - sons first game - result - bloody drive home..!

Thinking we won't put a different team on the pitch on Saturday is just bizarre.

Starting side v Augsburg:

Forster; Pied, Bednarek, Yoshida, Targett; Romeu, Hojbjerg; Long, Ward-Prowse, Redmond; Austin.

Potential starting side v Sevilla (not that I think it will be):

Gazzaniga/Taylor; Cedric, Gardos, Stephens, Bertrand; Davis, Clasie; McQueen, Tadic, Boufal; Gabbiadini

We could literally start with a completely different XI and there are only a couple of questionable players (mainly at keeper because McCarthy is injured and due to the CB situation).

OK it's only a friendly so have to take the result with a pinch of salt but these games are about building momentum for the start of the season and currently we don't have any.

Got to be careful here, we have some very winnable games in the early part of the season and if we go through those games in a daze getting few points then we'll have to play catch up whilst facing the big boys.

We don't have the luxury of a bad start this season, we need points on the board from the off. I wouldn't want to be going into our final set of games in a dodgy position.

Yes and this highlights the huge massive indisputable issue which repeats every year! Our pre season lack of games and lack of decent opposition also...

This happens every year and it's laughable now...

Yet again we are not prepared.. wth!

Yes and this highlights the huge massive indisputable issue which repeats every year! Our pre season lack of games and lack of decent opposition also...

This happens every year and it's laughable now...

Yet again we are not prepared.. wth!

Sevilla isn't decent opposition? Pre-season isn't about glamour games. It's a progression against increasingly strong opposition to build match fitness, try out player combinations and formations. Just like we've done.

Sevilla isn't decent opposition? Pre-season isn't about glamour games. It's a progression against increasingly strong opposition to build match fitness, try out player combinations and formations. Just like we've done.

Did I at any stage mention 'glamour' ???? No!

Half a dozen games is not enough snd two of those games were against virtual pub teams...

We are a proffessional club and three or four games preparation is not enough.

The evidence for this is there for all to see with multiple teams and formations right up to one game to play before the real thing....

Are the first eleven going to be prepared? No they are not...

The pre season has been inadequate....

Did I at any stage mention 'glamour' ???? No!

Half a dozen games is not enough snd two of those games were against virtual pub teams...

We are a proffessional club and three or four games preparation is not enough.

The evidence for this is there for all to see with multiple teams and formations right up to one game to play before the real thing....

Are the first eleven going to be prepared? No they are not...

The pre season has been inadequate....

And just how many pre-season games would you expect? Six seems fine to me.

Pre-season is about building, not playing your potential first team every game.

And maybe you could make up your mind whether three or four games isn't enough or six isn't enough. For your information, it's professional, not proffessional.

No more than 5 of that team will start on Saturday. This was nowhere near a first team.

6 could quite easily start our first game of the season. They were regulars - as much as you could be in Puel's rotational system - last season. It might be only 5, it might be more. The point is you were trying to infer that it was a team of nobodies and not relevant when it was quite the opposite. It was largely made up of players who will feature heavily this year regardless of who actually starts the first game.

6 could quite easily start our first game of the season. They were regulars - as much as you could be in Puel's rotational system - last season. It might be only 5, it might be more. The point is you were trying to infer that it was a team of nobodies and not relevant when it was quite the opposite. It was largely made up of players who will feature heavily this year regardless of who actually starts the first game.
My point is that at least half that team will not normally be starters. If we field a team like that at any point this season, either we will have a load of injuries and suspensions or the performance of some of these will have had to have improvef dramatically.