Saints 0 FC Augsburg 4 - Match Thread

eurosaint

opposition looked very very decent, if they play like that all season then they are worth a few bob on reaching very high end of bundesliga.

I thought that generally they were poor, but we made them look half decent because we were even poorer. If they were so hot, they wouldn't have lost 2-1 to Middlesbrough on Saturday, would they?

I'd actually like to see Clasie tried in a more advanced role (with 2 big DM's behind him), not sure if it'd work, but it's not working in a deeper role currently. Thinking Steve Davis under Poch type role.

I'd actuially like to see Clasie playing elsewhere as well, at some other club where being a midget isn't detrimental to the side.

One of the strangest matches I've seen at The Dell or ST Mary's over decades.

Admittedly it was horrible day and what amazed me was how many actually turned top on the night. Even so there were many empty spaces and depending upon who you believe only about 60% of the sold tickets turned up. Having said that there was no atmosphere at all, the place was literarily like a morgue. The game duly matched the atmosphere, there was a laissez faire attitude amongst many of the players that at this stage of preparation was disturbing. Several were still on the beach and more than a few were carrying some extra beef. Surely they should be fit by now. Generally one couldn't help thinking that many of the players might have hoped the game would be called off because of the weather and without naming names it was pretty obvious a few of them didn't fancy playing at all - millions a year and they don't want to get wet? Therein lies the performance.

There is no other word for it Saints were abysmal from beginning to end. There are no positives to be taken from this at all, a waste of time for fans who turned out and a waste of time as a tactical or intensity exercise. If this is where we are and Saturday may or may not confirm it, then it is not a question of us being in trouble this season more that we might be facing a fight for survival.

Many on here say it was a wake-up call - to whom 'though? Any new signings will take weeks to come on-stream and be effective. These are the players that Pellegrino has to work with through the first two months of relatively kind fixtures. Last night there was little evidence of him being able to intervene and change things and the subs achieved little more than giving everyone a game - presumably on the basis that in the two matches being taken together they'll all get about 90 mins under their belts. Which then leaves a big question mark over settling the best eleven and working up their intensity and tactics before Swansea? There are no more games after this!

On paper we have four very winnable games in August based on where everything left off in May. On the evidence of last night's performances both collectively and individually and probably in the minds of the majority who made the effort to go to SMS last night, what might have been regarded from the comfort of an armchair as a relatively straight forward task of collecting up to 12 points may suddenly have become an insurmountable mountain. The players are just not not ready for the fight and alarm bells must surely be ringing upstairs. What on earth has been going on in the club for the last four or five weeks apart from obsessing over van Dyke?

Pellegrino comes across as nothing more than Les's puppet . if he were his own man he'd have resolved the issues with Van Dyke quickly and not allowed it to fester his preparation plans. He's going to have to do a whole lot better to succeed or be an improvement on PUEL.

I'd actuially like to see Clasie playing elsewhere as well, at some other club where being a midget isn't detrimental to the side.

You're not a big fan of Messi, Sanchez, Neymar or Xavi then? All about that h same height Which has absolutely zero influence on quality.

Haven't seen too many comments on our new CB. Difficult game time judge him on I know but he played the full 90 didn't he?

You're not a big fan of Messi, Sanchez, Neymar or Xavi then? All about that h same height Which has absolutely zero influence on quality.

Haven't seen too many comments on our new CB. Difficult game time judge him on I know but he played the full 90 didn't he?

Those are all attacking players, Clasie is a DM, he needs the physique to tackle without getting a confetti shower of cards and the height to make an occasional headed clearance or two. An AM can be 2ft high for all I care but a veritable DM needs a bit of stature.

Pamplemousse;Don't think we can blame anyone for that

Les Reed? For telling 2 managers in a row,"Ere's yer squad get on with it, cos I'm in charge" MP: "But their shiite"

Reed: You've got the best midfield combo in the Premiership" MP: "you are a mad tw*t"

Those are all attacking players, Clasie is a DM, he needs the physique to tackle without getting a confetti shower of cards and the height to make an occasional headed clearance or two. An AM can be 2ft high for all I care but a veritable DM needs a bit of stature.

Which is why I would try him in a more attacking central midfield role.

Personally, whilst clearly not as good, I could see him being a similar type player as Xavi (who played slightly more defensively), Scholes (who also played slightly more defensively at the end of his career) and Iniesta who were all 5'6/5'7 (you can also add Kante to that list, but he's a different kind of player, who just reads the game exceptionally) but were technically very tidy and could pick a pass that would unlock a defense (I know Clasie hasn't shown this at us, but he did at Feyenoord). He can strike a ball as well, look at his goals against WBA and Arsenal.

Given the physical demands on the PL, I'd rather he played (was tried) in front of 2 solid DM's Romeu and new (i'd love us to get Carvalho, although that's unlikely).

All in all, to say you want to get rid of someone because of their height (regardless of technical ability) is outdated and ludicrous. Theories like that are pretty much why the English national team are sh!te

Let's not forget our 'curtain raiser' at St Mary's where Espanyol were 4-0 up at half time, and then felt a bit guilty and went back to training mode in the second half.

Admittedly, that WAS a bad omen, as Gray was clueless and we started the season appalling...

Pellegrino comes across as nothing more than Les's puppet . if he were his own man he'd have resolved the issues with Van Dyke quickly and not allowed it to fester his preparation plans. He's going to have to do a whole lot better to succeed or be an improvement on PUEL.

I think that is the first item on control freak Les's candidate requirements checklist.

The match against Sevilla takes on a whole other level of significance now. Nothing less than a hugely improved performance or the atmosphere around the ground when we play Swansea is going to be nervous to say the least.

I agree with the signings that everyone is talking about. What has concerned me is that we seem to have been so concerned with portraying this new image of not being a selling club, we seem to have forgotten to do some purchasing.

It was always going to be difficult to ingrain a new "high pressing" philosophy into this team in the 5 - 6 weeks they have had so far, but I do have some faith that it will come along in the end. Just need to hit the ground running with our first set of fixtures this year!

Normally a positive person regarding Saints, but I am concerned. Hopefully Saturday will ease my fears slightly.

Yes, he looks very good. And the #11 who you didn't notice, yet he still scored twice.

Augsburg's number 30 looks like a bang average, brazillian journeyman from his profile page on Transfermarkt. Probably just had a good game because we were so average, like we had a good game on Saturday (well second half anyway) because StE are stony broke and pisces poor.

I'd actually like to see Clasie tried in a more advanced role (with 2 big DM's behind him), not sure if it'd work, but it's not working in a deeper role currently. Thinking Steve Davis under Poch type role.

Would like to see Clasie given an extended run in the team - don't think he was given much of a chance with Puel

I'd like to see him sold and someone decent brought in.

It was always going to be difficult to ingrain a new "high pressing" philosophy into this team in the 5 - 6 weeks they have had so far, but I do have some faith that it will come along in the end.

if we are to do that we need players with desire to do so, tremendous engines and can cover the ground quickly. The likes of JWP, Classie, Austin and Tadic simply do not fit that mould IMO.

The match against Sevilla takes on a whole other level of significance now. Nothing less than a hugely improved performance or the atmosphere around the ground when we play Swansea is going to be nervous to say the least.

I agree with the signings that everyone is talking about. What has concerned me is that we seem to have been so concerned with portraying this new image of not being a selling club, we seem to have forgotten to do some purchasing.

It was always going to be difficult to ingrain a new "high pressing" philosophy into this team in the 5 - 6 weeks they have had so far, but I do have some faith that it will come along in the end. Just need to hit the ground running with our first set of fixtures this year!

Normally a positive person regarding Saints, but I am concerned. Hopefully Saturday will ease my fears slightly.

If last night was anything to go buy it doesn't look like they've been practising pressing as a unit at all.

if we are to do that we need players with desire to do so, tremendous engines and can cover the ground quickly. The likes of JWP, Classie, Austin and Tadic simply do not fit that mould IMO.

Agree a lot of people accused Puel of being bloody minded last season with regards to playing style but maybe is was more pragmatism based on the quality of player he had work with. Still very early days but so far there doesn't seem to be much difference in style between Puel and MoPe we are pressing a bit more, in patches, but last night it was as individuals rather than as a team and all it achieved was to leave gaps that the opposition could exploit. Attacking wise we still seem to be trying to get it out wide and throw crosses into the box but like last season there is usual only one or two saints players in the box surrounded by opposition defenders.

Edited by doddisalegend

Honestly I think for a young man he is trying too hard, he started well dropped out then seemed to lose his way a little, thought he was a bit more controlled with Romeu alongside him. At the end of last season you could see he was beating himself up when he made another silly mistake, think he is the kind of player who needs a steady run in the team to build himself up. Unfortunately Premier League football does not allow too much charity so he isn't getting a chance to do that, so in an effort to get picked again he is probably over thinking everything instead of relaxing.............. That said we are quite charitable with Tadic and his "I must beat everyone on the pitch at least twice before I take a shot, and gesticulate at everyone on the pitch and the seagulls over head when he loses the ball yet again".

Pretty much what I think. I don't reckon Puel's rotation policy helped. Just when he looked to be getting to grips with things he'd be rotated out again. Towards the end of the season he was just abysmal.

If last night was anything to go buy it doesn't look like they've been practising pressing as a unit at all.
I'd agree. Under Poch, the press was a thing of beauty with all our forward players cutting off passes as the player in possession was pressed. Last night, it seemed to consist of one or two closing down the keeper or defensive player, but leaving plenty of options open. Result was quite a lot of chasing round like headless chickens.

The other thing I felt wasn't working was pressing and challenging for the ball in midfield, failing to win it and so letting them find attacking passes with ease. Time and again we seemed very exposed as a result.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Which is why I would try him in a more attacking central midfield role.

Personally, whilst clearly not as good, I could see him being a similar type player as Xavi (who played slightly more defensively), Scholes (who also played slightly more defensively at the end of his career) and Iniesta who were all 5'6/5'7 (you can also add Kante to that list, but he's a different kind of player, who just reads the game exceptionally) but were technically very tidy and could pick a pass that would unlock a defense (I know Clasie hasn't shown this at us, but he did at Feyenoord). He can strike a ball as well, look at his goals against WBA and Arsenal.

Given the physical demands on the PL, I'd rather he played (was tried) in front of 2 solid DM's Romeu and new (i'd love us to get Carvalho, although that's unlikely).

All in all, to say you want to get rid of someone because of their height (regardless of technical ability) is outdated and ludicrous. Theories like that are pretty much why the English national team are sh!te

No point in discussing one outfield player the problem is bigger than that....Pardon the pun !!!!

It was always going to be difficult to ingrain a new "high pressing" philosophy into this team in the 5 - 6 weeks they have had so far, but I do have some faith that it will come along in the end.

You're probably right, but Pochettino had us up-and-running effectively with it in just a couple of games, Man U away was an exceptional performance. And considering one or two of our present performers, it will take a bit longer or a couple of additions to enforce it.

You're probably right, but Pochettino had us up-and-running effectively with it in just a couple of games, Man U away was an exceptional performance. And considering one or two of our present performers, it will take a bit longer or a couple of additions to enforce it.

I think you are right, it is going to need additions to get this team playing the way MP (and most of us) wants. The base level of fitness is so important and that is why using Austin for this is just not going to work. Redmond, Gabbi and Boufal should be able to achieve the high pressing after some training, it is the midfield covering the forward pass option that concerns me. They are just not mobile enough.

Whilst last night was undoubtedly a terrible performance a lot of people are drawing some rather melodramatic conclusions from what was, at the end of the day, a FRIENDLY.

If we were to draw similar conclusions from other recent friendlies then it would appear that Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are in dire need of complete re-vamps.

Come on people. It was a bad day at the office with a team half full of reserves in a game that didn't matter. Let's keep some perspective here.

I think too many people remain stuck in the Koeman/Poch systemwith two defensive midfield players breaking down opposition attacks. This can actually very easily turn into very negative football. In modern football most space is often just in front of defense, that's why the playmakers are now often positioned there (like Xavi or Pirlo), as opposed to the old position just behind the strikers (an old fashinioned nr 10 like Platini). Clasie should be up to thus role next to Romeu to make the crunching tackles. We do need cover for Romeu which we don't have now.

For a similar reason creative players are now played out wide where there is more space rather than centrally. Even Messi is often playing from the right hand side. With Redmond, Boufal and Tadic we have plenty of options there. Centrally you want a link up man who can cover a lot of ground. Davis of JWP seem best suited.

Whilst last night was undoubtedly a terrible performance a lot of people are drawing some rather melodramatic conclusions from what was, at the end of the day, a FRIENDLY.

If we were to draw similar conclusions from other recent friendlies then it would appear that Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are in dire need of complete re-vamps.

Come on people. It was a bad day at the office with a team half full of reserves in a game that didn't matter. Let's keep some perspective here.

You want perspective? On the SaintsWeb Forum? What planet have you been on the last 10 years or so? ;)

Just be thankful that we didn't win 4-0 as these pages would have been full of the same intelligentsia telling everyone not to read anything into the result as it was "only a meaningless friendly"...

Really hope we don't start with Austin or try and play 2 strikers. I know plenty really rate him but even when fit last season I thought he was so slow and the team suffered for it. Honestly wouldn't mind getting rid of him, bet plenty of teams would take him. We looked so much better with an on form Gabbiadini and the season before, an on form Long, far more movement and creating space for others.

Also rate Gallagher and hoping we actually give him some time on the pitch too. Gabbiadini, Long and Gallagher could all play a high press game, but Austin, no chance.

I'm with you on that. Gabbiadini for me is well ahead of Austin because he has the movement to pull defences apart and anticipation to get into good positions and make chances.

Long would be good in a pressing style, but is a way back in finishing. I'd rather see Gallagher given a chance over Austin if we want a traditional #9. Give him a chance.

You weren't there then? Aside from Gallagher and Cedric, all were given some game time. This is likely to be the same players in our squad, unless a whole host are about to come IN and I don't believe they are.

On paper we have four very winnable games in August based on where everything left off in May. On the evidence of last night's performances both collectively and individually and probably in the minds of the majority who made the effort to go to SMS last night, what might have been regarded from the comfort of an armchair as a relatively straight forward task of collecting up to 12 points may suddenly have become an insurmountable mountain. The players are just not not ready for the fight and alarm bells must surely be ringing upstairs. What on earth has been going on in the club for the last four or five weeks apart from obsessing over van Dyke?

I don't disagree with much of what you said about last night's match, but basing the paragraph above on what you witnessed last night is just ridiculous. Although the players taking part in the opening matches were on display last night and might not have performed well, that had a lot to do with the fact that at no stage of the proceedings was the first team assembled together as a unit. At no stage did we play our strongest defence together, our strongest midfield together, or our strongest attack together. Indeed, had we done so, I suspect that we might well have beaten Augsburg's strongest line-up.

You weren't there then? Aside from Gallagher and Cedric, all were given some game time. This is likely to be the same players in our squad, unless a whole host are about to come IN and I don't believe they are.

Please see my post above. You also conclude that the just because the majority of the squad was represented last night at various times in the match, that conclusions can be drawn about how the first choice team will perform together.

Well I like to see our full first team out there before making any decisions. For me, I would like to see Austin and Gabbi together upfront, not with Austin as a 10 (or whatever he was playing). Maybe a 4-4-2, or 4-4-1-1 with Gabbi behind him, or a 4-3-3, or something. I think they can complement each other tactically, and I think we need both their scoring in their lineup. I know I am beginning to come off as to pro-Austin per some folks comments on here, and I know some like better movers upfront, but in my opinion you can't ignore his scoring (which is to me the main thing a striker does at the end of the day). If you just go by pace you get Long, or other guys like that, and we'll be yelling about lack of goals again.Those two together with Redmond, Tadic, etc. give us some pop. If there comes a time when Austin isn't finishing well anymore, or getting assists around the box, then I agree take him out because other players offer more pace and movement. Long as a late sub to stretch the tired D is fine as well as midfield depth if we have injuries. To finish this, let me point out that we have scored 4 goals in preseason, and 3 have come from Austin and Gabbi (2 & 1). No goals means no wins.

On defense, we really need to get Cedric back there with the starters. It would be great to get in with Bertrand, Cedric, VVD, and Yoshida. However with VVD probably not an option lets get Stephens in there and let them gel. I am not sold on Bednarek, and I think Pied looks ok as a sub. I think the lack of time together in the back has been a major problem so far.

Still not sure what to do in midfield (or what MP will do). Romeu and Redmond need to play. After that I guess it depends on the formation. Maybe a Redmond-Romeu-Tadic-Boufal line? If we stick with 1 striker I would like to see what Gabbi can do dropping him back to the center, again to get all our scorers on the pitch.

If we play Austin and Gabbiadini together we will get overrun in midfield and see any half decent side stroll through our defence.

Maybe not with Gabbi at the #10. Then Gabbi is getting up and scoring, utilizing his pace and movement, and we still get Romeu/Tadic/Davis/Redmond out there too (or some combination). Its not much different defensively than putting Gabbi upfront and bringing on someone like Boufal.

If we play Austin and Gabbiadini together we will get overrun in midfield and see any half decent side stroll through our defence.

True. These days you have to have numbers in midfield. Puel tried two up top later stages of several games - we then completely capitulated in midfield and lost control of the ball from then on.

It can't be done and particularly with this squad....

Maybe not with Gabbi at the #10. Then Gabbi is getting up and scoring, utilizing his pace and movement, and we still get Romeu/Tadic/Davis/Redmond out there too (or some combination). Its not much different defensively than putting Gabbi upfront and bringing on someone like Boufal.
Gabbi is not a #10. He finds the positions and needs an intelligent and skillful #10 to find him.

Just because almost all of the first team got a run out doesn't mean they were played together at any point.

I thought that generally they were poor, but we made them look half decent because we were even poorer. If they were so hot, they wouldn't have lost 2-1 to Middlesbrough on Saturday, would they?

Don't know the team well enough to say but just because Middlesbrough beat them doesn't define who they are. Maybe they had a **** game then. I wasn't there last night however and didn't even get to watch the whole match so probably wrong but of what I did see the passing, ball control, off the ball movement and first touch was extremely decent they seemed to have some decent pace and composure on their wingers too. Their goals weren't half bad either.

Don't know the team well enough to say but just because Middlesbrough beat them doesn't define who they are. Maybe they had a **** game then. I wasn't there last night however and didn't even get to watch the whole match so probably wrong but of what I did see the passing, ball control, off the ball movement and first touch was extremely decent they seemed to have some decent pace and composure on their wingers too. Their goals weren't half bad either.

When they were put under pressure Augsburg looked very wobbly poor. But unfortunately they got their tails up as they realised they could run past us unchallenged and we didn't have a clue in the final third. That gave them the confidence to express themselves and the complex of the game changed.

It's becoming clear to me that our best team will never consist of our 11 most talented players and that the balance of the team against the style we need to play is most important. I read Pellegrino is a pragmatist and I hope he soon starts showing it with Saints as I think that is our best chance of succeeding this season.

The final third is the biggest issue for me. A bunch of players all with ability in certain areas but none have learnt to play well together. Too many (Tadic, Boufal, Redmond) want the ball to feet and to do their 'thing' when we have players like Long and Gabbiadini who thrive on quick passing to compliment their movement, or Austin who needs early balls in the box. That is a recruitment issue more than anything else.

I think the team has always functioned better with a Davis as one of the three behind the striker. He's tended to be the one who knits it all together, he's got the work-rate, movement and brain to make it work. Tadic - Boufal - Redmond is never going to work. JWP doesn't really offer anything as one of the three either.

When they were put under pressure Augsburg looked very wobbly poor. But unfortunately they got their tails up as they realised they could run past us unchallenged and we didn't have a clue in the final third. That gave them the confidence to express themselves and the complex of the game changed.

It's becoming clear to me that our best team will never consist of our 11 most talented players and that the balance of the team against the style we need to play is most important. I read Pellegrino is a pragmatist and I hope he soon starts showing it with Saints as I think that is our best chance of succeeding this season.

The final third is the biggest issue for me. A bunch of players all with ability in certain areas but none have learnt to play well together. Too many (Tadic, Boufal, Redmond) want the ball to feet and to do their 'thing' when we have players like Long and Gabbiadini who thrive on quick passing to compliment their movement, or Austin who needs early balls in the box. That is a recruitment issue more than anything else.

Good points actually

The final third is the biggest issue for me. A bunch of players all with ability in certain areas but none have learnt to play well together. Too many (Tadic' date=' Boufal, Redmond) want the ball to feet and to do their 'thing' when we have players like Long and Gabbiadini who thrive on quick passing to compliment their movement, or Austin who needs early balls in the box. That is a recruitment issue more than anything else.[/quote']

Absolutely 100% spot on. And football got even more mental tonight with Neymar's transfer fee. The only way for us to compete at any kind of decent level is somehow getting the players who can do the business come through from the academy because we clearly don't have any money to spend if this summer's transfer window is anything to by. We are now entering the Les period from the academy (as in the players coming through now are those signed and developed when he was overseeing things and has had his staff in place) so let's see what world class talent comes through and see if it can match the players that came through during the previous excellent George Prost/Malcolm Elias etc. period which the club has placed its academy reputation on.

We finished 8 points above relegation last year and have got weaker as a squad.

The board are playing a massive gamble that the problem last year was purely down to the manager...

Which everyone and his dog should realise isn't true even now. But we still don't have any midfielders who can take a chance, or apparently pick out the striker so he can actually score one.

JWP playing basically as a second striker was useful in terms of pressing, but hopeless in terms of scoring. Having Long on the right at the same time as that was very strange. I will at least say JWP saw the ball very late for that awful miss, as it just went over the defender and he expected him to clear it.

In response to various other comments:

No, we didn't play My Way.

Bednarek is in no way similar to Gardos, who wins headers but can't pass, whilst Bednarek looks good on the ball... but we conceded two headed goals.

Pied still looked decent to me, and is comfortably better than Martina in both directions.

We ended the match with McQueen at DM, hardly a surprise they ran at us and scored. Romeu was very good but without regular teammates around the split-seconds like "should I close or is someone else doing it" cost us.

Højbjerg's passing is one of his worst qualities.

I actually left on the 4th goal (it'll be sooner on Sat as my nephew and niece will definitely get bored more quickly).

I just put a bet on us to be top on Sept 1, not sure which opposing players will score all the own goals though. :)

We pressed and overloaded up front for a matter of minutes, then basically just stopped attacking in any meaningful way. Redmond can hit the bar all he likes, the problem there is him shooting from there in the first place when he should be passing to someone better placed.

We need either a change of lineup to get our two most competent finishers on the pitch at the same time, or sign someone who plays in midfield who can actually hit the target.

Didn't think Forster was to blame for any of the goals.

Formation flitted between 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2/4-3-3 depending on JWP when we had the ball and solid, predictable banks of 4 when we didn't, with Augsburg just exploiting the space between the lines all the time. It should have worked but it didn't.

Intrigued to see what we look like with the other half of the team in against Sevilla.

Agree a lot of people accused Puel of being bloody minded last season with regards to playing style but maybe is was more pragmatism based on the quality of player he had work with. Still very early days but so far there doesn't seem to be much difference in style between Puel and MoPe we are pressing a bit more, in patches, but last night it was as individuals rather than as a team and all it achieved was to leave gaps that the opposition could exploit. Attacking wise we still seem to be trying to get it out wide and throw crosses into the box but like last season there is usual only one or two saints players in the box surrounded by opposition defenders.

I'm still expecting us to play in basically the same way but with fresher players than last season and have better results as a consequence. Van Dijk's status (or the status of the £65m) is likely to have a significant impact, though. If we're not scoring many we need to be not conceding many as well. It appears from preseason so far that Pellegrino hasn't managed to find a way to successfully implement much in the way of change, though we'll only fully see when the starters are all on the pitch together and we see if he actually does think JWP can play pushed right up front and what others are told to do to exploit that.

OK it's only a friendly so have to take the result with a pinch of salt but these games are about building momentum for the start of the season and currently we don't have any.

Got to be careful here, we have some very winnable games in the early part of the season and if we go through those games in a daze getting few points then we'll have to play catch up whilst facing the big boys.

We don't have the luxury of a bad start this season, we need points on the board from the off. I wouldn't want to be going into our final set of games in a dodgy position.

OK it's only a friendly so have to take the result with a pinch of salt but these games are about building momentum for the start of the season and currently we don't have any.

Got to be careful here, we have some very winnable games in the early part of the season and if we go through those games in a daze getting few points then we'll have to play catch up whilst facing the big boys.

We don't have the luxury of a bad start this season, we need points on the board from the off. I wouldn't want to be going into our final set of games in a dodgy position.

Spot on.