Getting to the Stadium when home games are back on.

Nolan

Has anyone experienced the Avenue or Bitterne Road now the Council have reduced them from two lanes to one?

The Council's 'Green Recovery Plan' also plans converting one lane of Millbrook Road (Between Millbrook Roundabout &  Paynes Road) to a bus only lane.

I can imagine it taking a lot longer to get to a game. especially when Cruise Ships are back sailing again.

i believe the toll on the Itchen Bridge was also introduced as temporary.

The Avenue had temporary barriers down the road. Now the Council have spent the money on Painting the lines.  

I turned onto the avenue for the first time yesterday since they put this stuff up and was stuck in a long line of traffic when it wasn't even that busy. It would be insanity to make that permanent, all it's going to do is cause massively long queues of traffic. 

Edited by hypochondriac

The Avenue is single lane from town to the Chilworth roundabout. Cycle lane all the way. I drove up it on Monday early afternoon. Couldn't turn right into Burgess Road (not sure if that is temporary) and whilst there wasn't a lot of traffic from there upto the Chilworth Roundabout it was slow. Dread to think what it will be like when we return to a normal rush hour. Oh and didn't see one single cyclist on the new cycle path.

Edited by miserableoldgit

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It wasn't duel carriagway before, it was just a very wide road they've made narrower with cycle lanes.

So those dotted lines down the middle of each side were just for shits and giggles, then? :rolleyes:

The council's objective for as long as I can remember has been to make driving conditions in the city centre as horrendous as possible that it forces people to use other methods to get into the city. These measures might finally achieve that aim, I guess...

36 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

So those dotted lines down the middle of each side were just for shits and giggles, then? :rolleyes:

Not where the Avenue goes through the Common it didn't (as Google maps shows). That part of the road didn't have dotted lines down the middle of each side and now has cycle lanes narrowing the road. They have also reduced the speed limit from 40 to 30.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Highfield lane South to Northland's road has always been 1 wide road, 1 marked lane either way. (When though cars queued two abreast before Highfield lane going north)

North of Highfield lane out has always been two lanes.

45 minutes ago, Papa_Waigo1 said:

Get the bus, or get on your bike. Enjoy a few beers before and after the game. Far better than sitting in heavy traffic. We'll get cleaner air in the city too.

Yeah right! I'm 50 miles away.

1 hour ago, Papa_Waigo1 said:

Get the bus, or get on your bike. Enjoy a few beers before and after the game. Far better than sitting in heavy traffic. We'll get cleaner air in the city too.

Even in my prime I'd have struggled with a 400 mile round trip on the bike. 😳

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Yeah right! I'm 50 miles away.

You must have a train station between you and Southampton?

Personally one the things I enjoy about the match day experience is the building up of anticipation as you walk to the stadium and how occasional groups of fans become trickles and the closer you get the stadium more and more fans are on the streets. 

I wonder what proportion of 32,000 fans at a match live within 5 miles of the stadium and are able bodied, and what proportion insist on driving.

Hope these cunts at the council are going to realise the city’s pollution levels are going to be worse.

They’ll use that as an excuse to introduce a congestion charge meanwhile bankrupting the City.

Twats