Will UEFA see sense?

Sarnia Cherie

With Turkey being put on Boris's red travel list today, will UEFA allow the Champions League Final to move from Istanbul to another venue?  As it is an all English final it would make sense for players and staff not to have to travel to a country in lockdown, surely. Wembley or another of the larger football stadiums could be used and they could have some supporters in as well. Will UEFA use their common sense?

5 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Elite sports get exception so it's only fans that wouldn't be able to travel (if they were even allowed to go anyway). Can't see it being moved IMO 

It’s more the fact that two English sides would be flying to the other side of Europe to play one match in an empty stadium, in a country with high Covid rates. It’s completely needless and doesn’t benefit anyone. I’m the owners of the Atatürk would much rather host it in 2025 with a capacity crowd and no Covid restrictions anyway.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s more the fact that two English sides would be flying to the other side of Europe to play one match in an empty stadium, in a country with high Covid rates. It’s completely needless and doesn’t benefit anyone. I’m the owners of the Atatürk would much rather host it in 2025 with a capacity crowd and no Covid restrictions anyway.

I get that, and it does make sense.

But I can't see UEFA appeasing two teams who basically told them to do one about 3 weeks ago 

• Like 2

Is it daft to consider this the other way around?

If it it played in the UK I would imagine many 100's of people involved in the media will come to the UK from around the globe which is potentially a greater risk than the two clubs going to Istanbul securely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Is it daft to consider this the other way around?

If it it played in the UK I would imagine many 100's of people involved in the media will come to the UK from around the globe which is potentially a greater risk than the two clubs going to Istanbul securely. 

I get that, but people are still flooding into the country and some journalists won't add much to that. If its played overseas as it usually is, Portugal is the obvious place. Cracking outing for the fans too. 

Edited by egg

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Too much money tied up in the 'Istanbul 2021' branding and sponsorships IMO.

No chance it will change, it's all about money not common sense.

...and to be fair that is only fair. Many companies will have invested millions in the event in sponsorships and advertising and will need the Turkish & European advertising exposure to recover their money.

It seems to make sense to switch it to the UK. But, given the date of the final, the attendance would be limited in any case, early Euro games at Wembley are something like 25% capacity.  It is much better than 0% of fans on the other side of the continent, of course, but a final here would only see a small proportion of fans in the stadium.

I think people under estimate how much work goes into these type of events. 

I was a volunteer for Eur02106 in Bordeaux and started work 4 weeks before the first game. There are all sorts of contractors needed, for signage etc, covering up existing advertising,  IT, project management, TV etc. You can't just move them all at the last minute, as they would have to quarantine for two weeks.   

2 hours ago, redkeith said:

I was a volunteer for Eur02106 in Bordeaux and started work 4 weeks before the first game. There are all sorts of contractors needed, for signage etc, covering up existing advertising,  IT, project management, TV etc. You can't just move them all at the last minute, as they would have to quarantine for two weeks.   

I'm really surprised it's that much. Isn't the advertising pretty much tv type screens? I'd assumed it was just a case of reprogramming the ads, using a local TV crew, getting DHL to deliver the trophy, and game on. Nonetheless, 2 English clubs playing in a red zone country would be nuts. 

2 hours ago, redkeith said:

I’d get that, if fans were attending but they aren’t and surely that’s what 90% of the logistics are all about. I have seen games, even with fans, moved at the last minute before. Liverpool played a game against one of the Israeli teams in (I think) Kiev because of a flare up in Gaza one year.

From memory you NEED

Staff canteen .

Secure perimeter 

Enough Internet connections for 100 photographers behind each goal.

Expand the press box to accommodate the extra demand.

Radio links between all staff teams

Vip greeters

Replace all the adverts with Uefa sponsors.

Build a massive TV studio with secure back ups

Drug test facility

Media tent