Possible phishing email/data breach

OfnPanad

Hi all,

I got an incredibly spammy email titled "<my name>, Do we have your correct details?" about 35 mins before I am posting this. I have reported it to the club via the contact form and forwarded a copy to supporter services.

It was from "info@saints-comms.com" and it had my name, registered email address and my supporter number. There are various promises of winning a competition and links to enter your password and check your details by filling in forms. There are a few mistakes in the text as is normal with phishing emails. Not sure if there has been a data breach of the supporter database, I wonder how else a third party would get my supporter number.

Thought I had better log back in here and post about it. I will let you know if I get a response from the club. If you have also got this email maybe you can reply to this post so we can see if it's really going out to the supporter database or if it's just a few or even just my details that are leaked.

Even if you haven't got it maybe use this as a prompt to remind your less tech-savvy friends never to click on links in such emails!

Not heard anything from the club yet.

Looking in my spam folder I found I have a few emails from info@saints-comms.com, starting from 13 January 2021, about hospitality. Could this sh1te actually be a real club communication? I can't quite believe that an actual business staffed by functioning adults would produce and approve such an email. I'm almost fingers crossed for a data breach...

• Haha 1

Got the message at 6.30 pm, thanks for the heads-up. I suspect it's kosher but I'm not clicking any links until you let us know what the club's response is. It certainly has "Nigerian prince with a generous offer" vibes wrt the grammar!

59 minutes ago, OfnPanad said:

To be fair, if the forum clock is to be believed, there are about 40 minutes between you contacting the club and stating you hadn't received a reply!!

Not sure why you think someone in (presumably) the marketing department is going to be answering emails after 7pm on a Friday evening!

1 hour ago, OfnPanad said:

Hi all,

I got an incredibly spammy email titled "<my name>, Do we have your correct details?" about 35 mins before I am posting this. I have reported it to the club via the contact form and forwarded a copy to supporter services.

It was from "info@saints-comms.com" and it had my name, registered email address and my supporter number. There are various promises of winning a competition and links to enter your password and check your details by filling in forms. There are a few mistakes in the text as is normal with phishing emails. Not sure if there has been a data breach of the supporter database, I wonder how else a third party would get my supporter number.

Thought I had better log back in here and post about it. I will let you know if I get a response from the club. If you have also got this email maybe you can reply to this post so we can see if it's really going out to the supporter database or if it's just a few or even just my details that are leaked.

Even if you haven't got it maybe use this as a prompt to remind your less tech-savvy friends never to click on links in such emails!

It’s a legitimate email. Problem with all the phishing awareness people then become too over cautious so cannot use email as an effective medium.

1 hour ago, OfnPanad said:

Looking in my spam folder I found I have a few emails from info@saints-comms.com, starting from 13 January 2021, about hospitality. Could this sh1te actually be a real club communication? I can't quite believe that an actual business staffed by functioning adults would produce and approve such an email. I'm almost fingers crossed for a data breach...

It's real, but looks like it was written by the work experience kid 

the season is almost upon us! With the Saints taking on Manchester United, in their first game at home, on Sunday 22nd August. As Ralph and the squad prepare for Everton this weekend, you can prepare for the season as well!

By making sure your details are all up to date with the club, you are preparing for the long season ahead!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kingsland Red said:

So with one week to go, we get some half cock and totally irrelevant email, but have yet to receive our season tickets - what a shambles.

See also the reply I got regarding Newcastle tickets..

"tickets for away fixtures normally get released around a month before the actual fixture."..

12 hours ago, Kingsland Red said:

So with one week to go, we get some half cock and totally irrelevant email, but have yet to receive our season tickets - what a shambles.

As long as I get my ticket pre game I am ok it’s not in my hallway for a week…not too worried it’s not in my pocket yet…

Rather than Chelsea who have tried to install rail seats but failed …

No reply as yet from the club. From the above I'm guessing it's legit, although I don't want to believe it.

I hope someone is at least taking some notice about how sloppy this is coming from a multi-million pound high profile business. This is really basic stuff. Don't send half-arsed crap to your entire customer base.

Just got a reply:

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

I have passed your comments onto our e-marketing team who are responsible for sending this email earlier today. The aim of the email was to engage with inactive account holders or those that may not have purchased a ticket for some time to establish if the accounts need to remain active on our systems.

You are able to update your details/preferences if you wish or opt to unsubscribe from receive any future communications from us.

Many thanks,

Jim

Supporter Services

Southampton FC

22 minutes ago, OfnPanad said:

Just got a reply:

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

I have passed your comments onto our e-marketing team who are responsible for sending this email earlier today. The aim of the email was to engage with inactive account holders or those that may not have purchased a ticket for some time to establish if the accounts need to remain active on our systems.

You are able to update your details/preferences if you wish or opt to unsubscribe from receive any future communications from us.

Many thanks,

Jim

Supporter Services

Southampton FC

"to engage with inactive account holders or those who had bought a ticket for some time" .........by sending out an email that looks as dodgy as £7 note.

The aim of the email was to engage with inactive account holders or those that may not have purchased a ticket for some time

......barring a couple of friendlies, I guess most account holders may not have bought a ticket for.......well.......let's see......ummmm.....well.......since........probably before the pandemic.

Can somebody let the office know why it's been unusually quiet on match days. 

• Haha 1