Last Man Standing

Tamesaint

I take part in a Last Man Standing competition in a local pub. Each week you have to choose a team to win that weekend from the top 4 divisions. You can only choose a team once. If your team doesn't win, you are out and the prize goes to the last person left in. 

I normally get knocked out early in each round l but I am in the last 6 of the current round. Over 40 people entered and the prize money is over £200 plus a lot of kudos. I need a team to win this weekend and unlike previous weeks I see no obvious winner ..... apart from Liverpool. My dilemma is whether I should plump for them and in effect back againdt Saints.

A couple of weeks ago I went against my better instincts and chose Pompey to win in the first round of the FA cup. They scraped home 1 nil against non league opposition. My head overcame my heart that time. This time my head says to choose Liverpool but my heart says that I cannot. I think my heart is going to win. Am I correct?

You could do what I did when we played Chelsea a couple of seasons ago, went Chelsea in LMS but backed Saints & a draw at the bookies. I won my LMS stake back (and covered my 2 bets) after the subsequent draw, and would have won a lot more had we won. I’d imagine we’ll be well long odds so you’ll either go through, win some money or at worse break even, no matter what the result. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I take part in a Last Man Standing competition in a local pub. Each week you have to choose a team to win that weekend from the top 4 divisions. You can only choose a team once. If your team doesn't win, you are out and the prize goes to the last person left in. 

I normally get knocked out early in each round l but I am in the last 6 of the current round. Over 40 people entered and the prize money is over £200 plus a lot of kudos. I need a team to win this weekend and unlike previous weeks I see no obvious winner ..... apart from Liverpool. My dilemma is whether I should plump for them and in effect back againdt Saints.

A couple of weeks ago I went against my better instincts and chose Pompey to win in the first round of the FA cup. They scraped home 1 nil against non league opposition. My head overcame my heart that time. This time my head says to choose Liverpool but my heart says that I cannot. I think my heart is going to win. Am I correct?

I like the sound of this. Out of interest, can each team only picked by one person? And who decides who gets first pick?
Or could all 6 of you choose Liverpool this weekend for example?
P.S I think Liverpool is a smart and safe pick for you this weekend, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

I like the sound of this. Out of interest, can each team only picked by one person? And who decides who gets first pick?
Or could all 6 of you choose Liverpool this weekend for example?
P.S I think Liverpool is a smart and safe pick for you this weekend, unfortunately.

Everyone could choose Liverpool if they wanted. A few weeks ago 14 went out when Chelsea drew.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Fulham, Arsenal or Wolves looks good if you really don’t want to do Saints, although two of those are the early kick off. Chelsea or Man City at a push.

I did Fulham last week so can't do them again. Arsenal look good but will Newcastle get a new manager bounce?

I am tempted by Ipswich in League 1.

I do this with a large group at work and... am crap at it. I rout for big teams to win early on but they have let me down the last couple of times I did it early on. 

So don't take my word for it when I say I think Arsenal, Palace and Brighton have good chances to win this weekend. 😀