SaintsPlus from Daily Echo

Barsiem

I’ve noticed the Echo has really upped the amount of articles about Saints this week as a result of a new initiative they’ve launched called SaintsPlus, which is clearly an attempt to emulate the Athletic’s approach:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/20028048.daily-echo-launches-saintsplus---new-home-next-level-saints-coverage/

Any feedback on the initiative so far?  It would be good if we can have some quality reporting from a local source, but I guess the DE will need additional subscribers to maintain the coverage in the long term

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 08:31, Convict Colony said:

Just looked at this and they look good articles just the sort of thing carl was doing on us in the athletic so I will subscribe

Yeah sorely missed is Carl, think we were spoilt when he was covering us.

If the echo are turning out stuff like that then I'll start giving it a read again. 

I’ve met Benjy who is the new journalist and was very impressed with his determination to write some insightful punchy articles. Like Carl he has moved into the town so he means business. I note he got an exclusive with MLT after last week’s events so he’s already put down a marker. His problem is the Echo is poorly regarded these days but he knows that and is under no illusions that he has a tough gig. Getting your feet under the table at SMS is no easy task either as they have had an easy time with journalists since Covid and Carl left. We need good investigative journalists to hold Ralph and Co to account. 

• Like 3

On 10/04/2022 at 09:21, Saint86 said:

Yeah sorely missed is Carl, think we were spoilt when he was covering us.

If the echo are turning out stuff like that then I'll start giving it a read again. 

Why were we 'spoilt'?  His output was not much different to what we get now.  he was just more quirky, diverse and have a bigger voice.

• Like 3

On 12/04/2022 at 12:06, AlexLaw76 said:

Why were we 'spoilt'?  His output was not much different to what we get now.  he was just more quirky, diverse and have a bigger voice.

To each their own, but for me Carl Anka's work was routinely some of the best football journalism i've read in recent years. He wasn't just "quirky", and I'd argue having a "bigger voice" in journalism is a sign of ability. But anyway, given he wasn't a saints fan and he was very good - i think we were lucky to have him. You may not and that's personal preference. Although, the praise and benchmarking people do against Carl is a sentiment that gets echoed on here, and you'll also see it on the Athletic comments on the odd occasion he covers a saints story. If the Daily echo has stepped up to offer that kind of work as well then that can only be a good thing. Bring on the spoiling 😁.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2022 at 06:57, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I’ve met Benjy who is the new journalist and was very impressed with his determination to write some insightful punchy articles. Like Carl he has moved into the town so he means business. I note he got an exclusive with MLT after last week’s events so he’s already put down a marker. His problem is the Echo is poorly regarded these days but he knows that and is under no illusions that he has a tough gig. Getting your feet under the table at SMS is no easy task either as they have had an easy time with journalists since Covid and Carl left. We need good investigative journalists to hold Ralph and Co to account. 

Yes there is a need for a good hard hitting Saints journalist.

Unfortunately we have endured local journalists who rather than ask the awkward questions want to smooch with Ralph and be his mate. One in particular always asks an easy question with an answer included in the question - Cringeworthy…..

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 22:08, captainchris said:

Yes there is a need for a good hard hitting Saints journalist.

Unfortunately we have endured local journalists who rather than ask the awkward questions want to smooch with Ralph and be his mate. One in particular always asks an easy question with an answer included in the question - Cringeworthy…..

The problem is they all want to maintain their access to the club. Without that they've got nothing.

None of them are really powerful enough, with a strong enough audience, to be able to go rogue and threaten the club with negative press.

The Echo in particular got totally screwed by Cortese when they "stepped out of line"

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

"Hard hitting" "investigative" Saints journalists to "hold the club to account"

What a load of bollocks.

If the Echo (or the Athletic) don't have access, they've got no content.

They need interviews and inside info. That and a bit of tactical analysis and a bit of colour/insight. What the Athletic, or The Telegraph, get now is about what you are going to get.

What Hard hitting investigative content are you people expecting? Why aren't you picking Perraud? How comes we can't outspend Crystal Palace? wHy cAnT wE bE mORe liKE dORtMonD FFS

Jesus wept.

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

"Hard hitting" "investigative" Saints journalists to "hold the club to account"

What a load of bollocks.

If the Echo (or the Athletic) don't have access, they've got no content.

They need interviews and inside info. That and a bit of tactical analysis and a bit of colour/insight. What the Athletic, or The Telegraph, get now is about what you are going to get.

What Hard hitting investigative content are you people expecting? Why aren't you picking Perraud? How comes we can't outspend Crystal Palace? wHy cAnT wE bE mORe liKE dORtMonD FFS

Jesus wept.

If you can’t ask poignant, pertinent, interesting questions then there is no point in interviews at all. 

Jesus wept indeed…..