Relegation

kraftwerk26

From the Everton-Brentford MBM in The Guardian..

“Why is no-one talking about the Saints being in danger?” emails Chris. “Assume a spanking from Liverpool and they may need to get a final day result away at Leicester (if Burnley win their midweek game at Villa).”

Anybody care to reply..?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

From the Everton-Brentford MBM in The Guardian..

“Why is no-one talking about the Saints being in danger?” emails Chris. “Assume a spanking from Liverpool and they may need to get a final day result away at Leicester (if Burnley win their midweek game at Villa).”

Anybody care to reply..?

Chris can't do maths ....

• Like 1

We now know that Saints became mathematically safe when they drew with Leeds on 2nd April and got their 36th point. Believe it or not I do understand the point made by some that they were safe much earlier because with so many games left they couldn't help but get the few points they needed however badly they played and not all the teams below them would be able to find the form to get above us.

Saints tried their very best to test the first part of that theory to the max and although I believe that the likes of Everton  Leeds and Burnley were all capable of getting better results ,they didn't, and so you are right. In fact we are both right but to slightly different questions. It's just that I have a preference for mathematical certainty.

Have a good summer and please let me know when we are safe next season so I can breathe a little easier.

I am and always have been Tom & Gerry.

We are way too close for comfort this year. Eventually this is going to catch up with us if we're not careful, if we lost the freak win we got (Arsenal) or lost the couple of sneaky draws we got (Brighton/Leeds) we'd have been gone. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We are way too close for comfort this year. Eventually this is going to catch up with us if we're not careful, if we lost the freak win we got (Arsenal) or lost the couple of sneaky draws we got (Brighton/Leeds) we'd have been gone. 

What about the 4 "sneaky draws" we got against both Manchester teams and the "freak" win vs Spurs? Didn't they contribute to us not going down too...? ;)

• Like 3

We had terrible end to the season, and I am worried about where we are going, but we comfortably avoided relegation and there was no point it was a realistic possibility.

Yes, if we had lost more games we could have gone down, but we didn't.  If we had won more we would be more higher. 

It is the least I have ever felt connected with the players.  Aside from JWP, Romeu, and three full backs can't think of a player who I wouldn't ideally want replaced (although appreciate we will be stuck with others) 

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We have never at any point this season been close to relegation. We sank back towards the bottom three in the final third of the season but we never looked like being dragged into it. People keep saying, "well what if we’d been even worse?" Or more bizarrely, "what if there were another 3 fixtures?"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We have never at any point this season been close to relegation. We sank back towards the bottom three in the final third of the season but we never looked like being dragged into it. People keep saying, "well what if we’d been even worse?" Or more bizarrely, "what if there were another 3 fixtures?"

No, we've not been involved in any direct battles at such, but we somehow managed to get ourselves onto the periphery of it. Another month of games and we'd have been done for. I think it has been too close for comfort when you look at the final standings, and it doesn't stand us in great stead for next season should things stay the same. 

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No, we've not been involved in any direct battles at such, but we somehow managed to get ourselves onto the periphery of it. Another month of games and we'd have been done for. I think it has been too close for comfort when you look at the final standings, and it doesn't stand us in great stead for next season should things stay the same. 

The "periphery of it" basically means people on this forum shitting themselves about improbable results. We were effectively safe by the end of Feb. 

At one point someone on here did a "forecast" of Burnley finishing on 44 points.

I agree that it doesn't look great for next season. If not much changes we are bottom four easy.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Safe this season maybe but I’m seriously worried about next. We have no regular goal scoring striker at present, an awful set of number 10s, an average set of centre backs and questions over GK. Only full back and possibly central midfield you could say we’re not in dire straits, and even then I hope we bring in at least another CM in the summer and someone to cover Tino’s absence.

Quite simply we need one hell of a good transfer window or we will be left behind next season.

• Like 3