Relegation

kraftwerk26

It's improbable but not impossible that Saints could finish top 10...and that Liverhampton lose out on the league (very likely) the FA Cup and the CL Final. Sad that schadenfreude is all the joy that's left in this season, but it makes me feel better.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

It's improbable but not impossible that Saints could finish top 10...and that Liverhampton lose out on the league (very likely) the FA Cup and the CL Final. Sad that schadenfreude is all the joy that's left in this season, but it makes me feel better.

I have a small outstanding bet on a Man City/Chelsea/Real Madrid treble. Wasn't going to risk much but it just seemed the right thing to do. :D

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ItchenRob said:

If I have got my facts/counting correct, that now equals that massive club down the road. I felt unclean accessing their Wikipedia pages !😊

You should have learned by now never to trust any numbers provided by Pompey fans.

These are the real totals:

Seasons in top flight, not including next season:

Saints 45

Pompey 33

This site is fairly reliable as they can't tamper with it:

England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

You should have learned by now never to trust any numbers provided by Pompey fans.

Saints 45

Pompey 33

England historical attendance and performance (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

I counted 46 again for them. I appreciate Wikipedia can be amended by pretty much anyone but this looked fairly accurate to me (but very happy to be proved wrong and that it is 33!) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Portsmouth_F.C._seasons

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Saints 45

Pompey 33

Do you remember when that link appeared on TUI and the resident skate on there insisted the crazy low attendances in the 70s-90s were due to their owners lying about them so they could pocket the cash.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ItchenRob said:

I counted 46 again for them. I appreciate Wikipedia can be amended by pretty much anyone but this looked fairly accurate to me (but very happy to be proved wrong and that it is 33!) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Portsmouth_F.C._seasons

Think the issue might be counting 1992 to 2003 in "Division 1" as the top league, when actually it was step 2 with the Premier League coming in above it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ItchenRob said:

Anyone can write whatever they like on Wikipedia but I think what you've been doing is including the years they were in the new Divison 1 (old name for Championship) in the 90s and early 00s, which was the second tier in the Premier League era. The number of seasons Pompey were in the top flight is 33 and that is a FACT which is unlikely to change in the near future.

51 minutes ago, ItchenRob said:

Hover over the note indicator against the Div 1 covering 92/93 - 2002.03. That was when the premier started, Div 1 was the new Div 2. That accounts for 11 of the difference. 

Edit @Nordic Saint and @Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan got there before me

AND they are counting season 39/40 on wiki - that lasted 3 matches 🤣 and 45/46 which was no league at all just FA Cup 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Wurzel
update

So by my calculations, since I have been bornin 1959 (Pompeys relegation year, finished 22nd) they have been in the top flight for 8 seasons. As I have said elsewhere on the Pompey thread, they have always been in the lower divisions and so never understood how they feel they are a big club. Only time in recent memory that they did well was when we the nation paid for their success.

14 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Here's something else to cheer you up. We are now going into our 46th season in the top flight. 

8 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Actually, we aren't. We are nearing the end of our 45th season in the top flight. I would suggest, having liased closely with MLG on the matter, that we won't be "going in to" our 46th season until at least pre-season.

4 hours ago, ItchenRob said:

If I have got my facts/counting correct, that now equals that massive club down the road. I felt unclean accessing their Wikipedia pages !😊

3 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Saints 45

Pompey 33

2 hours ago, ItchenRob said:

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Think the issue might be counting 1992 to 2003 in "Division 1" as the top league, when actually it was step 2 with the Premier League coming in above it. 

24 minutes ago, OldNick said:

So by my calculations, since I have been bornin 1959 (Pompeys relegation year, finished 22nd) they have been in the top flight for 8 seasons. As I have said elsewhere on the Pompey thread, they have always been in the lower divisions and so never understood how they feel they are a big club. Only time in recent memory that they did well was when we the nation paid for their success.

Just to clarify, are we talking about the now extinct football club that used to play at Fratton Park, or the football club which was incorporated in 2012 that now plays at Fratton Park? The current football club that plays there have never been in the top flight. HTH.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Oh of course, silly me, apologies ! So we are even more massive than a massive club !? Result!

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Just to clarify, are we talking about the now extinct football club that used to play at Fratton Park, or the football club which was incorporated in 2012 that now plays at Fratton Park? The current football club that plays there have never been in the top flight. HTH.

I was reading this thread and wondering when you'd turn up! 🙂

On 11/05/2022 at 21:34, CB Fry said:

Agree about looking forward to a season in the Championship is a good defence/coping mechanism. 

But we haven't been in danger of relegation this calendar year, and we've been safe for weeks. So never anything to worry about. Next year could very well be different.

We will not know when Saints were safe until the end of the season but the earliest possible date (assuming those below us get no more points) was the 25th February when we moved to 35 points by beating Norwich.  If Burnley get 2 more points  (or 1  and maintain a superior goal difference) the earliest possible date is 2nd April at Leeds. Without that point  Leeds would be on 36 points  and we wouldn't have beaten that total until 16th April.

Anyone still with me?

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

We will not know when Saints were safe until the end of the season but the earliest possible date (assuming those below us get no more points) was the 25th February when we moved to 35 points by beating Norwich.  If Burnley get 2 more points  (or 1  and maintain a superior goal difference) the earliest possible date is 2nd April at Leeds. Without that point  Leeds would be on 36 points  and we wouldn't have beaten that total until 16th April.

Anyone still with me?

We were safe at the end of Feb, after the Norwich match. Nicely over 30 points by the end of Feb is safety. 32. At that point you are staying up.

I accept it might not be good enough for nutcases that simultaneously think we will go on 12 straight defeat losing runs while at the exact same moment convince themselves that shit teams with far worse records than us will go on breathtaking Champions League standard winning runs.

But it was good enough for anyone with half a brain. We've been safe since before Feb was out.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We were safe at the end of Feb, after the Norwich match. Nicely over 30 points by the end of Feb is safety. 32. At that point you are staying up.

I accept it might not be good enough for nutcases that simultaneously think we will go on 12 straight defeat losing runs while at the exact same moment convince themselves that shit teams with far worse records than us will go on breathtaking Champions League standard winning runs.

But it was good enough for anyone with half a brain. We've been safe since before Feb was out.

Same thing every season tho - it’s like ground hog day. 😉

43 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

In fairness, we’re not far off that now. What are we, 1 win and a couple of draws in 10? But you’re right, we’ve never really been in any real danger of relegation even as bad as we’ve been. 

I wasn't criticising anyone's opinon. Just putting the we've been safe all year view in to some sort of perspective.Burnley getting 2 more points and Leeds beating Saints isn't that fantastic a run. Your view is valid but the facts don't lie.

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

40 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I wasn't criticising anyone's opinon. Just putting the we've been safe all year view in to some sort of perspective.Burnley getting 2 more points and Leeds beating Saints isn't that fantastic a run. Your view is valid but the facts don't lie.

Burnley getting two more points relegates us how? What are you on about.

Also I don't see anyone saying we've "been safe all year". I specifically said we were safe at the end of February, which we were.

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Burnley are 6 points below Saints, 2 more points for them isn't enough.

Leeds overtaking Saints would need a remarkable set of results to happen. Including a turnaround in the +18 goal difference advantage Saints have. 

13 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Anyone still with me?

Nope, not sure of your point. We're safe, have been for ages, but have been shocking for ages as well. If we were on 37 points or less, you'd have a point, but we're not.

20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Burnley are 6 points below Saints, 2 more points for them isn't enough.

Leeds overtaking Saints would need a remarkable set of results to happen. Including a turnaround in the +18 goal difference advantage Saints have. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Nope, not sure of your point. We're safe, have been for ages, but have been shocking for ages as well. If we were on 37 points or less, you'd have a point, but we're not.

The point was when we were safe. To have been safe for ages your argument appears to be that we knew we would always beat Arsenal or if we hadn't we would have got what we needed against Leicester or Liverpool. It's a valid argument but for me not an entirely convincing one. Mathmatically at least we will not know when were safe until after the final games. To avoid any misunderstanding,  I agree we are safe now

2 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

The point was when we were safe. To have been safe for ages your argument appears to be that we knew we would always beat Arsenal or if we hadn't we would have got what we needed against Leicester or Liverpool. It's a valid argument but for me not an entirely convincing one. Mathmatically at least we will not know when were safe until after the final games. To avoid any misunderstanding,  I agree we are safe now

We were safe ages ago

Are you Twar? 

On 12/05/2022 at 10:09, ItchenRob said:

Nowhere near. Skates have only been in the top flight for 33 seasons, and that includes the 39/40 season which was abandoned after a week. I recommend you go back and read wiki again, on second thoughts perhaps that is a bit harsh, though it is interesting to note how many times they escaped relegation from the top flight by the skin of their teeth.  

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Burnley getting two more points relegates us how? What are you on about.

Also I don't see anyone saying we've "been safe all year". I specifically said we were safe at the end of February, which we were.

At end of Feb we had 35 points, so don't think it would have been accurate to say we WERE safe at that point, only that you thought we would get enough points to ensure safety.

In fairness, it's appalling that we have ended up anywhere near 18th place given the position we had at end of Feb. Form since then has been shocking and the 1 win we did get was pretty fortunate.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Imagine the squeaky bums if Burnley and/or Leeds win!

Leeds would have to win 6-0 for me to even raise an eyebrow. Burnley ? Umm, if they beat Spurs then good luck to them, all that does is probably send Leeds down given they only have 1 game left and Burnley 2.  

The funny thing will be if Everton mess up their next two games and are still in the thick of it when they go to Arsenal for the last game with Arsenal still needing a win.

Edited by beatlesaint

So to sum up; had we lost our last 15 games of the season, we might have been in danger of relegation? About as generic a statement as you could hope to make, which could easily be applied every season, to any club about 8th or below.

44 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I'm not sure if you are thick or just on a massive wind-up. 

When you get to the end of Feb with 32 points on the board, you're safe. At that time most people on here were talking about top half or maybe Europe. 

It's not got anything to do with the Leicester or Arsenal games in particular. Its to do with all the games left from March onwards. Enough games to get the points required to stay up. There's a world of difference between getting 32 points in Feb and 32 points at the end of April as Burnley/Leeds eventually did. 

I know you are never, ever going to understand this but you can't blame a girl for trying.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm not sure if you are thick or just on a massive wind-up. 

When you get to the end of Feb with 32 points on the board, you're safe. At that time most people on here were talking about top half or maybe Europe. 

It's not got anything to do with the Leicester or Arsenal games in particular. Its to do with all the games left from March onwards. Enough games to get the points required to stay up. There's a world of difference between getting 32 points in Feb and 32 points at the end of April as Burnley/Leeds eventually did. 

I know you are never, ever going to understand this but you can't blame a girl for trying.

It's a wind up account mate, I've dipped in and won't engage further. 

• Like 1

I'll simplify it for you , 

The earliest we could have been safe is February. If Burnley get any more points it's  April. Those are the facts. Just because I don't get the we've been safe along argument doesn't make me a wind up merchant. As for my sanity - well I have been watching Saints a long time.

5 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

The earliest we could have been safe is February. If Burnley get any more points it's  April. Those are the facts. Just because I don't get the we've been safe along argument doesn't make me a wind up merchant. As for my sanity - well I have been watching Saints a long time.

Thanks Twar.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

How many Villa players do you think we would have in our stating 11?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Nowhere near. Skates have only been in the top flight for 33 seasons, and that includes the 39/40 season which was abandoned after a week. I recommend you go back and read wiki again, on second thoughts perhaps that is a bit harsh, though it is interesting to note how many times they escaped relegation from the top flight by the skin of their teeth.  

Skating on fairly thin ice Vectis, you conveniently forgot to add that Pompey won League 1 twice in the 50's which is more than we have ever done. 

No doubt a lot of the older contributors on here nipped along to Fratton Park in those days to catch sight of Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool. I did but it didn't make me a skate. Saints were firmly cemented in the 2nd & 3rd Divisions in those days of course so if you wanted to see top flight teams, crossing the BlueLine was the only option.

I think it may turn out that the Arsenal win made us safe....I mean, sure, you don't expect to lose about 12 games in a row, but we have come perilously close to that....

Until Chelsea beat Leeds last week, we had come in to about 50/1 to relegated. A real longshot, but I don't consider a 2% chance of relegation to equal "safe".

We're probably about 0.001% to be relegated now....I think i would count that as safe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Skating on fairly thin ice Vectis, you conveniently forgot to add that Pompey won League 1 twice in the 50's which is more than we have ever done. 

No doubt a lot of the older contributors on here nipped along to Fratton Park in those days to catch sight of Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool. I did but it didn't make me a skate. Saints were firmly cemented in the 2nd & 3rd Divisions in those days of course so if you wanted to see top flight teams, crossing the BlueLine was the only option.

Not sure how 45-33 is skating on thin ice, we were even ahead of them when we were last promoted. I used to go to Fratton (lived in Cosham for a couple of years), but always went in the away end, but as usual they were in the lower divisions then, 3rd Div if I recall correctly, while we were above them in the 2nd.

Edited by VectisSaint