Relegation

kraftwerk26

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes.

He has got it right, we’ve avoided relegation for four successive seasons.

No, we've avoided relegation from this league for 10 seasons. Achieving what is a bare minimum requirement every season with the occasional capitulation isn't some miracle only Ralph can attain.

We've shown we can beat strong teams on our day. We were in a strong position to achieve top 10 a few weeks ago but just when it looks like we're about to kick on, we regress again. Now it will likely be a bottom 5 finish because we regularly lose to teams below us. It feels like we lose more to teams below us than we win! Narrowly missing out is one thing but we just lose all fight.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, trousers said:

You've got to look at it from the doom-and-gloom brigade's point of view though.... The worst-case-scenario will inevitably come true one season and then they get to play their "told you so" cards and pat themselves on the back for being so insightful...

Remember dalek predicting us 17th every season and it happened eventually. He thought he was mystic meg when it did

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Richarlison could be suspended for 3 games for flinging that flare into the crowd after his goal. Massive loss for them. Prick. 

Wouldn't bank on it, it was into an empty section of the stand and Everton claim he was moving it from the pitch.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

No, we've avoided relegation from this league for 10 seasons. Achieving what is a bare minimum requirement every season with the occasional capitulation isn't some miracle only Ralph can attain

Never have I claimed it was. Adkins, Poch and Koeman all did an excellent job whilst they were here.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

We've shown we can beat strong teams on our day. We were in a strong position to achieve top 10 a few weeks ago but just when it looks like we're about to kick on, we regress again. Now it will likely be a bottom 5 finish because we regularly lose to teams below us. It feels like we lose more to teams below us than we win! Narrowly missing out is one thing but we just lose all fight.

Chelsea and Man United have just lost to a team in the bottom three. City and Liverpool lost to Palace and Leicester respectively. Spurs could get into the Champions League losing at home to Wolves, Saints and Brighton, plus their own trip to Burnley. Where does our divine right not to lose to these teams come from?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, egg said:

Lighten up? I'm genuinely amazed that any self respecting fan would hope to make money from his teams relegation, and think that acceptable. Each to their own, but for me, its all kinds of wrong. 

I wouldn't do it, (because I don't like losing money), but I'm guessing that any self respecting Saints fan betting on us getting relegated is hoping to lose his/her money, and just doing it as an insurance bet to soften the blow if the unlikely happens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I wouldn't do it, (because I don't like losing money), but I'm guessing that any self respecting Saints fan betting on us getting relegated is hoping to lose his/her money, and just doing it as an insurance bet to soften the blow if the unlikely happens.

I've never met a gambler yet who who hopes to lose his/her money...that defeats the object. 

On 02/05/2022 at 19:52, Lighthouse said:

Adkins, Poch and Koeman all did an excellent job whilst they were here.

I totally agree. Adkins goes without saying. Pochettino and Koeman cemented our Premier League status with some great top half finishes.

On 02/05/2022 at 19:52, Lighthouse said:

Where does our divine right not to lose to these teams come from?

I never said we had a divine right to beat anyone. Perhaps the players think we do I don't know.  What I'm saying is he has proven himself capable of putting a team together to beat Spurs, Arsenal also avoiding defeat to city twice ect, yet we're still likely to finish bottom 5. I want him to succeed I really do and when he does I openly praise him for it. He's likable and when he selects the right team in the right shape we play some great football. I'm not sure he's done that these last few weeks so I'm criticising him for it. It just feels like he tries to fix things that aren't broken sometimes and tries to be too clever for his own good. It's costing us a strong finish this season.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

I've never met a gambler yet who who hopes to lose his/her money...that defeats the object. 

Normally, of course. But not when they're betting on their own team's relegation. That's what many of them say, anyway.

1 hour ago, egg said:

It is not something I've ever done or would ever do, but it is not unusual for people to place 'insurance bets' on their own team to fail.

If their team wins or stays up great, if they lose or go down then you gain financially which at least is a positive in a bad situation. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is not something I've ever done or would ever do, but it is not unusual for people to place 'insurance bets' on their own team to fail.

If their team wins or stays up great, if they lose or go down then you gain financially which at least is a positive in a bad situation. 

100% this.  Like I said last season, a sneaky insurance bet at long odds covers a trip to Vegas for the mother of all 'we've just been relegated' benders 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yep.

Also for when people say "I would  pay £1,000 to see Southampton win this game", in which case placing a £1,000 bet on your own team is one way of putting your money where your mouth is.

10 minutes ago, DT said:

150-1 if anyone's interested.

Think we might scrape one more point. But bloody hell.

I'm hopeful we'll get at least 1 point from here in. I do feel the we can lose every game brigade are a bit overconfident of Arsenal/Chelsea being incapable of dropping a point to a lesser team despite recent evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Really? I do this with most Saints games.

Me too.

Won £50 on Saturday because I could see that Palace result coming a mile off. My only regret is that I didn't stake more on it, because that late winner was so inevitable.

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Really? I do this with most Saints games.

I tend to only bet against Saints once we've taken the lead in games, pays out far more often than I would like , Palace were 9/1 when I back them on Saturday 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Me too.

Won £50 on Saturday because I could see that Palace result coming a mile off. My only regret is that I didn't stake more on it, because that late winner was so inevitable.

As an aside - someone played a blinder with a 60p stake on a 16 game accumulator over the weekend - pocketed just over £150,000.  

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Me too.

Me too. Would still have rather Saints clung on. But it’s easy money

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I tend to only bet against Saints once we've taken the lead in games, pays out far more often than I would like , Palace were 9/1 when I back them on Saturday 

You're missing out. I tend to bet on us to draw or win, then cash out when we're winning. And bet on the opposition to draw or win. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

As an aside - someone played a blinder with a 60p stake on a 16 game accumulator over the weekend - pocketed just over £150,000.  

I know what you mean, but cant help feeling sorry for them that the one time they win at 250,000/1 they only put 60p on it! 

Burnley and Leeds will both be on 37 points if they win their game in hand.

Everton will be on 38 points if they win their two games in hand.

So all things equal, we would be 3 points clear of 18th with 3 matches left.

Leeds have a significantly worse GD than the other teams, so they are effectively a further point adrift.

So we're almost there, but I personally feel 40 pts will be far too close for comfort. A draw against Brentford will suit both teams tbh. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Burnley and Leeds will both be on 37 points if they win their game in hand.

Everton will be on 38 points if they win their two games in hand.

So all things equal, we would be 3 points clear of 18th with 3 matches left.

Leeds have a significantly worse GD than the other teams, so they are effectively a further point adrift.

So we're almost there, but I personally feel 40 pts will be far too close for comfort. A draw against Brentford will suit both teams tbh. 

Yeah, there is only a tiny chance of us going down, but also a moderate chance of us not being mathematically safe come final day.  I'm sure we all agree that we could definitely do without that being the case and it will hopefully provide a modicum of motivation to the team against Brentford.

Hard to believe that we're even having to have a conversation about this when you consider where we were a few months ago.  Good old Saints FFS!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Yeah, there is only a tiny chance of us going down, but also a moderate chance of us not being mathematically safe come final day.  I'm sure we all agree that we could definitely do without that being the case and it will hopefully provide a modicum of motivation to the team against Brentford.

Hard to believe that we're even having to have a conversation about this when you consider where we were a few months ago.  Good old Saints FFS!

Something I've considered when considering going to Leicester away, potentially a flat end of season game with nothing at stake or could be an important relegation survival 

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Me too.

I’ve won a few hundred quid this season betting against Saints. They’re just too predictable 🤣

If results over the remaining games replicates the sides’ recent form over the same number of games -

Burnley - 44

Saints - 41

Leeds and Everton - 39

Would suggest it could be a “high points to survive” season.

Unfortunately I suspect the very high price on saints to be relegated might reflect the lack of money on us versus the other sides over the season. Feels more like a 33/1 or 50/1 to me. 

I think we have every chance of getting relegated not this season perhaps but next if we lose JWP and do not replace him and Broja with proper PL players

Next season we cannot assume that the promoted teams will not get relegated like I did this season with Brentford that said they could still go down like us

19 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Relax everyone, I did one of those score predictors this morning and basically entered the worst possible outcome for each fixture, we end up staying up on goal difference above Leeds.  You're welcome.

And there was me, when Saints were sitting comfortably mid-table thinking that nobody would have to be counting possible points to avoid relegation. Quite like old times.

Pathetic that we are even having to look over our shoulders at this stage but we should be just about OK. Got to get something out of Brentford.

My head says Leeds will go down, my heart wants Everton to go down (funny as).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Pathetic that we are even having to look over our shoulders at this stage but we should be just about OK. Got to get something out of Brentford.

My head says Leeds will go down, my heart wants Everton to go down (funny as).

I think a point will see us through for certain.

Everton's form is up and down, and leeds have at most 7points left that I can see them getting.

Burnley play villa twice, and vila's other fixtures are pretty tough, would genuinely be entertaining if they wound up stuck on 40points on the final day - but that would mean burnley are above us and unless we beat Brentford we'd be in for a tense final day!!!

Am i the only one still holding out that saints will be the team to ruin Liverpool's season?

Edited by Saint86

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I think a point will see us through for certain.

Everton's form is up and down, and leeds have at most 7points left that I can see them getting.

Burnley play villa twice, and vila's other fixtures are pretty tough, would genuinely be entertaining if they wound up stuck on 40points on the final day - but that would mean burnley are above us and unless we beat Brentford we'd be in for a tense final day!!!

Am i the only one still holding out that saints will be the team to ruin Liverpool's season?

We won’t beat Brentford or Leicester but Liverpool? 

9 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

I've put £20 on relegation at a 90-1.  I will be happy to lose £20 if we stay up (less than 1/4 of a tank of petrol ffs!) but the best part of 2 grand will soften the blow of this shower of shite taking us down.

Has to be worth a punt at those odds. It's still very unlikely to happen but history has shown that under Ralph anything is possible and given that we have Liverpool to play we effectively only have two games left.

18 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

I've put £20 on relegation at a 90-1.  I will be happy to lose £20 if we stay up (less than 1/4 of a tank of petrol ffs!) but the best part of 2 grand will soften the blow of this shower of shite taking us down.

Sky bet offering 80-1 for saints to get relegated. Or 151-1 for Saints/Norwich/Watford to get relegated as a treble...

Same odds in all reality - or near as damit.

Edited by Saint86

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Sky bet offering 80-1 for saints to get relegated. Or 151-1 for Saints/Norwich/Watford to get relegated as a treble...

Same odds in all reality - or near as damit.

Really?  I can't see any bookmakers offering that as a treble today.  For a start one leg of the treble, Norwich going down, has already happened and most bookmakers are also not taking bets of Watford going down either.

On 04/05/2022 at 10:29, once_bitterne said:

Was 250/1 at the start of the week...!

On 04/05/2022 at 10:29, once_bitterne said:

Should have put it on in the summer, I feel as low about our prospects as i have for some seasons. Relegation next season must be more than 50-50

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Should have put it on in the summer, I feel as low about our prospects as i have for some seasons. Relegation next season must be more than 50-50

I’d say 50/50 - either we do get relegated or we don’t. 😉