Relegation

kraftwerk26

13 minutes ago, kraftwerk26 said:

I haven't posted on here for years

Is anyone else genuinely concerned we can still get relegated, we will not be getting another point this season....FACT

Whist not bed wetting worried, will still feel more comfortable when we can't get mathematically caught. It's a pathetic reflection on the season that we are still looking over our shoulders. Whatever happened after that West Ham cup game really knocked the shit out of us. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, kraftwerk26 said:

I haven't posted on here for years

Is anyone else genuinely concerned we can still get relegated, we will not be getting another point this season....FACT

It's a very realistic possibility that we won't get another point and finish on 40.

And Everton can get 47 if they win their remaining games (which they won't). Burnley can get 46 (which they won't).

But Leeds are the ones to watch. Appalling goal difference. They'll need 7 points to overtake us. From 4 games (Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Brentford), with no fit strikers and injuries all over the squad.

They're in deep shit.

• Like 3

Can we get mathematically relegated yes. It's possible but it involves a huge set of unlikely results, not least of which is us getting zero points more. Even if zero points is possible/probable you only have to look at Leeds fixtures to see they aren't getting enough to overtake us. Not to mention Everton who have only won 18 points since October and suddenly people think they'll get 9. (Not impossible, see Burnley's resurgence I guess, but unlikely.)

Ergo, will we get relegated? Most likely no. But that doesn't mean this season hasn't been good. It hasn't. 

The weird thing is we are looking over our shoulders... but if we beat Brentford and Leicester somehow we could finish top 12 still. Crazy league this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a bit like last seasons panic that Fulham were about to win every single game on a march to the Champions league

You've got to look at it from the doom-and-gloom brigade's point of view though.... The worst-case-scenario will inevitably come true one season and then they get to play their "told you so" cards and pat themselves on the back for being so insightful...

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

You've got to look at it from the doom-and-gloom brigade's point of view though.... The worst-case-scenario will inevitably come true one season and then they get to play their "told you so" cards...

I'm just delighted that we "saved our bacon" in a match six weeks and six games before the end of the season.

• Like 2

225/1 atm best odds…

I think it’s very unlikely, but I do think it’s likely that we won’t get another point this season. It’s utterly ridiculous that it’s still mathematically possible, given where we were after we played Man Utd (A). 

The club have got a decision to make in the summer, whether the new owners want to go in a different direction, especially given some of Ralph’s comments this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

If anyone can pull being relegated with 40 points on the the board for the first time in ages - it’s us!

😳😜🤪

Just to lighten the mood:

First team to go down when they introduced three automatic relegation spots.

First time a team bottom at Christmas escaped (WBA) meant we went down.

Can't se why you would be so pessimistic JB Saint.

Don't think we will drop, but the fact that it's even being remotely considered is a disgrace. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Richarlison could be suspended for 3 games for flinging that flare into the crowd after his goal. Massive loss for them. Prick. 

In theory I think that should have been a red card. Somebody got given one at the Dell (?) for throwing a coin back into the crowd.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Just to lighten the mood:

First team to go down when they introduced three automatic relegation spots.

First time a team bottom at Christmas escaped (WBA) meant we went down.

Can't se why you would be so pessimistic JB Saint.

Don't think we will drop, but the fact that it's even being remotely considered is a disgrace. 

That's what the Blue Phew believe to this day, but we actually finished bottom by losing to Utd, so even if WBA had lost against the Skates and gone down we still would've gone down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Goes to show that our season hasn’t been as good as some make out when we could still get relegated with just 3 games to go.

Exactly who has claimed that this has been a good season? It has been dire by any measure and the football quality appallingly dismal.

On the other hand we have about as much chance of being relegated as we have of Ralph looking in the mirror.

Four years ago we had a relegation decider at Swansea.  It's nowhere near as bad this season.  It's just frustrating that we seem to go from one extreme to the another and we never know what Saints will do.  Some of the football has been brilliant (Tottenham away for example) and some of it dreadful (last Saturday).  Can't see us going down, but can also see someone going down with 37/38 points.

Much as I like RH I think that it is time for a change.  We need to freshen things up big time.

• Like 4

I know it is akin to looking at the season through a microscope  but in view of our recent dire form since the heavy defeat at Villa Park, if JWP hadnt scored the two crackers at Brighton and Fraser Forster hadnt been in such good form v Arsenal, we could now be looking perilously over our shoulder on 36 points with 2 away games remaining (assuming another hit to our goal difference at home to Liverpool)

• Like 3

If we don't get another point feel we could well get relegated. My hope is that we can scrap a something from the brentford game ideally or if not last day against mid table leicester..

I could see everton getting the 8/9 points necessary(beat watford, brentford, palace etc), Burnley getting 6(beat Newcastle & Villa) and Leeds scrambling 7(beat Brentford, Brighton & then pulling a shock result like everton just got agasint say arsenal..

It's a pitiful state of affairs that we collapsed to this position.

• Like 1

The fact that we’re even appearing in things like this now, after the position we were in a couple of months ago is pathetic.

I don’t believe we’re in trouble given the few games left, but the fact that it’s even having to be spoken about shows how far we’ve fallen in a very short space of time.

75760476-F4C3-42EE-B457-746470F3C5E9.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What makes you think we should expect progress?

Nothing much really but this is probably the first season where the team is most of Ralph’s choosing and he’s been here long enough that we might expect his ideas to be bearing fruit.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

That's how annoying the late Zaha goal was. One point on Saturday and we'd be clear of this.

Sprinkle on top of that Redmond sitting on the gate of the acre Eze was standing in, admiring the view, without a thought that the Palace man was about to receive the ball.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

I know it is akin to looking at the season through a microscope  but in view of our recent dire form since the heavy defeat at Villa Park, if JWP hadnt scored the two crackers at Brighton and Fraser Forster hadnt been in such good form v Arsenal, we could now be looking perilously over our shoulder on 36 points with 2 away games remaining (assuming another hit to our goal difference at home to Liverpool)

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Edited by trousers

19 hours ago, qwertyell said:

It's a very realistic possibility that we won't get another point and finish on 40.

And Everton can get 47 if they win their remaining games (which they won't). Burnley can get 46 (which they won't).

But Leeds are the ones to watch. Appalling goal difference. They'll need 7 points to overtake us. From 4 games (Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Brentford), with no fit strikers and injuries all over the squad.

They're in deep shit.

So basically what were hoping for is that Arsenal and Chelsea beat Leeds.........................

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

that is actually worth a few quid

This is what surprises me - any doom-merchants who think it likely that Saints are going to be relegated this season, that Everton, Burnley and Leeds are ALL going to climb above us, should be piling on the bets at those odds! But please do it quietly, and keep it to yourself, or you may influence the odds to a shorter level, and deprive yourselves of a windfall...

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

What makes you think we should expect progress?

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect progress?

Finishing precariously above the bottom 3 every year will only end one way. It's likely to be roughly 9 points between 17th and 10th. Our results against the 5 teams currently below us has cost us the difference.

All well and good beating Tottenham and Arsenal but if you lose to Norwich and Watford, it rather negates the gains made. Ultimately, until we learn to beat the sides weaker than us on paper, we'll always be a bottom half team living dangerously.

Ralph has had over 3 seasons to get it right. Do we give him another transfer window and season to try again? I don't know but I suspect the new owners will be feeling disappointed with a bottom 5 finish given our position a month or so ago.

Edited by Disco Stu

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You think it's unreasonable to expect progress?

Finishing precariously above the bottom 3 every year will only end one way. It's likely going to be 6-9 points or so between 17th and 10th. Our results against those 5 teams below us has cost us the difference.

All well and good beating Tottenham and Arsenal but if you lose to Norwich and Watford, it rather negates the gains made. Ultimately, until we learn to beat the sides weaker than us on paper, we'll always be a bottom half team living dangerously.

Ralph has had 3 seasons to get it right. Do we give him another transfer window and season to try again? I don't know but I suspect the new owners will be feeling disappointed with a bottom 5 finish giving our position a month ago.

Has he really been given the transfer windows in 'full' though? My argument is that we've always had to weaken in certain areas in order to strengthen in others. That is quite simply the formula to stand still, no matter who is in charge.

My hope is that this takeover enables us to strengthen other areas without having to weaken our existing team to do it, that's the only way we really progress. We could have as many different managers as we want, but if we can't buy 'quality' and have to sell our existing 'quality' to add depth then it doesn't really serve as a breeding ground for success. Managers success in the main will be dictated by the quality of the players around them, my argument is that Ralph has never really had much quality or money to work with.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Has he really been given the transfer windows in 'full' though? My argument is that we've always had to weaken in certain areas in order to strengthen in others. That is quite simply the formula to stand still, no matter who is in charge.

My hope is that this takeover enables us to strengthen other areas without having to weaken our existing team to do it, that's the only way we really progress. We could have as many different managers as we want, but if we can't buy 'quality' then it doesn't really serve as a breeding ground for success. Managers success in the main will be dictated by the quality of the players around them, my argument is that Ralph has never really had much quality or money to work with.

I don't disagree about our lack of investment but the fact remains that he has a team capable of beating Spurs, Arsenal, avoiding defeat to city twice ect, yet we're still likely to finish bottom 5.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

that is actually worth a few quid

Behave. 

We ain't going down. 

And anyone who bets on us to go down (even if it was a possibility) is a disgrace. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bpsaint said:

The fact that we’re even appearing in things like this now, after the position we were in a couple of months ago is pathetic.

I don’t believe we’re in trouble given the few games left, but the fact that it’s even having to be spoken about shows how far we’ve fallen in a very short space of time.

75760476-F4C3-42EE-B457-746470F3C5E9.jpeg

Lets not ignore Villa and Brentford on 40 points either.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect progress?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Ralph has had over 3 seasons to get it right. Do we give him another transfer window and season to try again? I don't know but I suspect the new owners will be feeling disappointed with a bottom 5 finish given our position a month or so ago.

He has got it right, we’ve avoided relegation for four successive seasons.

19 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I don't see why? if it really is 250-1 it's well worth a small punt

Jesus wept. Hoping to make money on your team getting relegated is not the behaviour of a fan. 

To get relegated Everton need 8 points from 5 games, Burnley 6 points from 4 games and Leeds need 7 (due to crappier GD than us) from 4 games.

It's not beyond the realms of belief that Everton and Burnley could achieve that (though still highly unlikely), but Leeds need 2 wins and a draw from their fixtures, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton and Brentford and for us to get 0.

It's 250-1 for a reason. Personally I think we'll finish above both Leeds and Everton (especially if they lose Richarlison) but Burnley could finish above us if we don't pick up at least a point. 

22 hours ago, qwertyell said:

They're in deep shit.

I just wrote the above then saw your post highlighting the same! Leeds are definitely the whipping boys right now. Wouldn't be the first American manager to be rubbish in the Prem...

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

why isn't it? Is there some law that says you can't bet against your own team? A team that pretty much never ceases to let you down 🙂 you should lighten up.  

Lighten up? I'm genuinely amazed that any self respecting fan would hope to make money from his teams relegation, and think that acceptable. Each to their own, but for me, its all kinds of wrong. 

• Like 1