Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Romeu was declining for sure, but he was still an able player if required and added steal to the middle of the park. Whilst we saw Lavia as the 'modern' replacement, it really should have been a case of playing him with Romeu for a year and not selling ourselves short.

I can somewhat understand the personal side of it in terms of the club not wanting to stand in the way of his return home, but sometimes I think we need to be a bit more selfish and think about our own needs rather than everyone else's. Nice guys always finish last and all that.

I think the point with Romeu is that he and JWP had formed a good understanding in terms of who covered who and when. The high press clearly had started to take its toll on Romeu’s older more punished body. Lavia looked to be the ideal replacement, but a young body is always going to be susceptible to injury when faced with EPL pace.

56 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think the point with Romeu is that he and JWP had formed a good understanding in terms of who covered who and when. The high press clearly had started to take its toll on Romeu’s older more punished body. Lavia looked to be the ideal replacement, but a young body is always going to be susceptible to injury when faced with EPL pace.

I think the biggest problem here, is the fact our front 3/4 dont press as manically as they used to, this means there is less pressure on the opponents when they are trying to come out of defence which means they can take their time to pick out a better pass which can far more easily bypass our midfield 2.

When we press faster and deeper there are more hurried balls played which gives the midfield 2 more chance to pick up loose balls.

• Like 3

80 minutes into re-watching the game.....sober.

We weren't that bad. Really.

On top second half, before we scored. Close to a second just before they went ahead. Then plenty of chances created after that. But for a couple of Pickford saves, and some bad finishing from AA and Che, we could of had 4.

We lacked the quality press, and aren't as aggressive as before, but actually we weren't as shit as I remember.

On balance I think we'll be fine this season.

RH still has to go. I like him, but he's had his time here, and his train is ready to set sail.

On 02/10/2022 at 13:43, SaintZamboni said:

Up until the last comment I agreed with you. Rugby players aren’t loud mouth morons anymore than footballers or fans

I wasn't condemning Rugby players, but you'd have to agree that they do exist, and are frequently more vocal than the average football moron.

On 03/10/2022 at 17:42, Suhari said:

80 minutes into re-watching the game.....sober.

We weren't that bad. Really.

On top second half, before we scored. Close to a second just before they went ahead. Then plenty of chances created after that. But for a couple of Pickford saves, and some bad finishing from AA and Che, we could of had 4.

We lacked the quality press, and aren't as aggressive as before, but actually we weren't as shit as I remember.

On balance I think we'll be fine this season.

RH still has to go. I like him, but he's had his time here, and his train is ready to set sail.

We didn’t take our chances simple as that.

• Like 2