Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

Romeu's departure is haunting us big time and Lavia's injury was almost inevitable after we lost our backup (sods law and all that). Not signing a striker and not having adequate CDM cover will be our undoing. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me that we've solved our goalkeeping problem either.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 7

Personally I thought it was miles better than Villa but still nowhere near good enough. Don't forget how mindfuckingly bad Villa was. Given that City away is next and is a free shot, I think he'll still get one more go against West Ham at home. But if they have a replacement ready to roll, do it now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Mara was a waste of a shirt 

What were you watching ? his movement to get space was there, albeit the team behind him were too slow to appreciate it. Admit when he was subbed we seemed more stronger going forward maybe because we were desperate to get the equalizer.

Just now, LaptopSaint said:

Personally I thought it was miles better than Villa but still nowhere near good enough. Don't forget how mindfuckingly bad Villa was. Given that City away is next and is a free shot, I think he'll still get one more go against West Ham at home. But if they have a replacement ready to roll, do it now. 

He has to go now. Waiting until after City is pointless - this isn’t going to get any better.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

2 shit teams. Everton slightly less shit.

The goals were all always going to come from bad mistakes and that's what happened with all 3.

We lacked any impetus in the first half, could barely put 3 passes together.

Maitland-Niles looked well off the pace which is maybe why he hasn't started yet. Add in an insipid performance from Ward Prowse and it's no surprise we lost because the midfield was so poor.

Neither of todays central midfielders run with the ball at their feet; and JWP is right back to the days of save and backward passing.  The loss of Romeu and injury to Lavia really highlight our midfield deficiencies.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Cat said:

There was a bit before half time when I swear no one was even watching the game and everyone was just sat around chatting like they were at the cricket or something.

Can't say I blame them but at the same time, don't give me this "Our fans deserve better and always get behind the team" nonsense because I've said it before, I'll say it again - PL fans are the worst in the world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Finished.

Another loss.

Ralph out.

I must admit I do not see what that will achieve we have tried numerous players but they are not very good not good enough to perform in the PL consistently

Apart from KWP we have not recruited a really good PL player for ages I just do not think recruiting young players was ever a going to succeed

We got a couple in last season Tino and Broja and that worked OK for a bit but we surely need experienced players and none of them want to come to SFC

We could get in a new manager but realistically I cannot not see our forward players scoring many goals as fundamentaly we do not have many outstanding players and one that we have is not scoring any goals

2 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

What was stupid about it? Would you have stuck with Moi AdamArma and Diallo? Who else would you have put in? I'd have had Ballard on the bench

What was stupid about it was dropping Salisu who has been developing a good partnership with AKB and playing a kid at left back when Djenepo has done well there and Perraud is adequate. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John B said:

I must admit I do not see what that will achieve we have tried numerous players but they are not very good not good enough to perform in the PL consistently

Apart from KWP we have not recruited a really good PL player for ages I just do not think recruiting young players was ever a going to succeed

We got a couple in last season Tino and Broja and that worked OK for a bit but we surely need experienced players and none of them want to come to SFC

We could get in a new manager but realistically I cannot not see our forward players scoring many goals as fundamentaly we do not have many outstanding players and one that we have is not scoring any goals

Stick or twist ?

Stick - we get Championship football next season, twist - we are at least rid of Wreck-It. It may turn out that nobody else can get a tune out our assortment of broken instruments, but one thing is for sure - Ralph hasn't got a clue.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Sure it’s already been mentioned. We have lost 8 of our last 12 HOME games (and drawn 2).

The club stuck by Ralph (as did many of the fans) after a horrific 9-0 home defeat followed by another 9-0 the season after. He has had (literally) years and now significant funds to make the squad and team his own and play the way he wants to play. In this time we have gone backwards and are now sleepwalking into the championship.

He needs to go. Tonight. And then we have to hope someone can come in and salvage our position in the league (not easy with the lack of quality in the team). 

We are in real danger of being cut adrift into a relegation mini-league already. 

• Like 1

Hasenhuttl: "We had some good moments to score a goal but the last decision around the box was not the best. In the second-half, we showed we could do it well. But what happened then, everybody saw." #saintsfc @AlfieHouseEcho

twat

Just now, DT said:

Hasenhuttl: "We had some good moments to score a goal but the last decision around the box was not the best. In the second-half, we showed we could do it well. But what happened then, everybody saw." #saintsfc @AlfieHouseEcho

twat

Fucking deluded. Excuses every week. 

2 minutes ago, DT said:

twat

Yes, everybody saw Ralph and we saw it against Wolves and Villa but it seems you didn't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

twat

Yeah, we were OK for 20 minutes when Everton retreated. But for the entire first half we were dog shite.

I feel sorry for Mara and Armstrong always stuck in weird positions. I think Aribo could be useful but he rarely receives a decent pass through the midfield. 

We have completely lost any sense of identity or coherent game plan when in possession.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

The money we spent in the summer would've been better spent on less signings to improve the awful starting 11. 

Naive transfer policy means shite like Che Adams remain in the starting 11. 

We will go down this season if we stick with Ralph. 

Said it before, we don't buy with the aim of improving the first team in the here and now, but put together an assortment (of investments) to sell on. Whether they gel as a team doesn't seem to register with 'Tim Nice But Dim'  the youngsters are part of his investment portfolio. 

Added to which Ralph doesn't know his best team in terms of selection, and tactics, drawing from a very limited squad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benjii said:

Yeah, we were OK for 20 minutes when Everton retreated. But for the entire first half we were dog shite.

I feel sorry for Mara and Armstrong always stuck in weird positions. I think Aribo could be useful but he rarely receives a decent pass through the midfield. 

We have completely lost any sense of identity or coherent game plan when in possession.

Sums it up.

27 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

A couple of, soon to be available, replacements for Ralph.  Chris Wilder and Steve Bruce  🤣.

He literally says the same thing every week.

Everton had like 1 win in their last 19 PL games I read somewhere… not to worry though Saints will oblige. 

I still have nothing but warm words for the man, appreciate he took over in difficult times and steadied the ship, but it really is time for change now. 
I imagine many will join the bandwagon of sacking before the WC but let’s be proactive and do it now.

4 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

The money we spent in the summer would've been better spent on less signings to improve the awful starting 11. 

Naive transfer policy means shite like Che Adams remain in the starting 11. 

We will go down this season if we stick with Ralph. 

Yes I agree it is our transfer policy is the root cause of the problem

Without buying experienced players we are going to struggle and our young players are not going to develop but they may do so if we were in the Championship Tella seems to be doing well at

Posters are saying Everton Villa and Wolves are winnable games but they are not because  at the moment their players are better than ours 

Getting rid of Ralph maybe the solution but I cannot see how getting in a new manager will make Adams and Armstrong score more goals or the Goalkeeper make more saves but without loads of money to buy experienced players we are going to struggle whoever the manager is

• Like 1

Just heard Ralph interviewed on Solent on the way home.

He was saying that we wanted to create more chances which, to be fair, we did. However I'm not sure if that's down to us creating our own chances or the fact Everton are a bit crap.

He mentioned Adams' miss just before their second goal and that being a crucial moment. Can't really argue with that. I thought Adams' had a complete shocker of a game.

We're fielding a very young, inexperienced team at the moment. I was hoping this would make us more dynamic and athletic, and we have seen glimpses of that but only in patches and not consistently enough. 

Problem is we can't continue to make mistakes that cost us goals because we won't score enough goals to compensate for that. 

It's a tricky situation. Set up the team to be more attacking and hope we outscore the opposition with our average strikers, or play more defensively and hope to keep a clean sheet?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic