Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

They're not a bad side at all, Iwobi seems to have become a really important player for them.  We need to get the tactics right.  Personally I think it's time to take Elyounoussi out of the firing line, possibly for Stuey.  Like most games this season, if we can get a few goals I think we have a great chance of winning, but a frustrating 0-1 is always a possibility with this squad. 

Going to go for a very hard fought 2-1 win.

Trains an absolute mess for this one, which just ruins the day, especially with the M3 being a nightmare too.

COYS

• Like 1

They are an incredibly defensive side, with experience at the back (proper experience too). They will keep it tight, sit deep, be hard to break down and try to exploit the break.

It has all the ingredients to be a very, very frustrating and ultimately pointless afternoon if we continue the same way. This is not the game for the likes of Elyounoussi, and it's also not the time for Adams up top on his own.

We need legs and players who are prepared to attack and break down the sides of them, as they're not the quickest recovery wise. Edozie, Aribo on the flanks with Adams and Armstrong through the middle. If that doesn't work, switch one of them for Mara early doors 2nd half.

If we play as we did against Villa or Wolves (scared to lose) then we will have no luck against a dogged Everton side. Need to be on the front foot and attack them from the off.

If Elyounoussi starts this one, given how totally unsuited he will be for it, then I will give up with football.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They're not a bad side at all, Iwobi seems to have become a really important player for them.  We need to get the tactics right.  Personally I think it's time to take Elyounoussi out of the firing line, possibly for Stuey.  Like most games this season, if we can get a few goals I think we have a great chance of winning, but a frustrating 0-1 is always a possibility with this squad. 

Going to go for a very hard fought 2-1 win.

Trains an absolute mess for this one, which just ruins the day, especially with the M3 being a nightmare too.

COYS

Problem is Scotland play their 3rd game in a week tomorrow away to Ukraine (in Poland) if Armstrong plays in that I can't see Ralph picking him. 

Last train out of Southampton Central about the same time the final whistle will blow, very frustrating for a few that I know as this is our last Saturday home game before Christmas would have been nice to have a few beers. Loads of tickets left still as well. 

Everton will be defensive and hard to break down, we struggle against such teams. 

Saints 0 v 1 Everton

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

Last train out of Southampton Central about the same time the final whistle will blow, very frustrating for a few that I know as this is our last Saturday home game before Christmas would have been nice to have a few beers. Loads of tickets left still as well. 

Has timetable been announced yet then? Trainline still says they may or may not run...?

Just now, fanimal said:

What’s happening with the trains then?

Another train strike

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Has timetable been announced yet then? Trainline still says they may or may not run...?

Another train strike

I received this email from South Western Trains las Saturday,

Saturday 1 October
A severely reduced service will operate between 0730 and 1830. Large parts of our network will have no services at all.

Sunday 2 October
First services will start much later than usual and will be very busy – please avoid them if you can.

As usual the hope is that somehow our weak attack is magically transformed into one that can penetrate a well drilled and organised defence. However, the reality is that Ralph will have us playing safe keep ball, lots of backwards/sideways passing, putting Bazunu under more pressure than necessary leading to hoofball with midfield bypassed and few chances being made. And the most frustrating thing is that Everton are nothing special, just like Wolves and Villa, but they will probably come away with a relatively straightforward win as tactically we are so easy to predict. Result: 1-0 Everton.

If any of the above is correct I hope the Board have the gumption to do something about it asap because it will surely provide the evidence that persisting with Ralph could put us in real trouble before the end of the year.

Ralph's normal negative starting line up will likely result in us going 1-0 down at which point he'll introduce players who should have started but it'll be too little too late and another drab 1-0 loss. If this is how it pans out then he needs to be gone by a week from now. Prove the doubters wrong Ralph and do something unpredictable leading to a victory rather than the same old same old.

• Like 7

Keeper and defence picks itself, assuming Perraud is fit and Ralph doesn't have a brain fart on formation.

Shirley AMN is ready to play Ralphball by now, partners JWP in the middle.

Aribo and Stu as the 2 "10"s, although I wouldn't mind seeing Edozie get the first 60 minutes in this game

Che and Mara up top.

Such a mess with the trains. Got a ticket for myself and my lad, would have been his first game at St Marys.

No idea what we are going to do now as no idea if we can travel from London.

Would be tempted with a hotel on the Saturday, but don't even know if we will be able to get to Southampton.

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Such a mess with the trains. Got a ticket for myself and my lad, would have been his first game at St Marys.

Would be tempted with a hotel on the Saturday, but don't even know if we will be able to get to Southampton.

National Express Coaches?

https://routemap.nationalexpress.com/search/between/london_victoria_coach_station/southampton_coach_station_harbour_parade

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Problem is Scotland play their 3rd game in a week tomorrow away to Ukraine (in Poland) if Armstrong plays in that I can't see Ralph picking him. 

Everton will be defensive and hard to break down, we struggle against such teams. 

Saints 0 v 1 Everton

Hasenhüttl won't pick him anyway, at least not as a starter. The Austrian Flopp doesn't need any excuses not to play him these days. Yet another half-decent footballer coached into extinction by our dynamic coaching cadre. 

Everton are absolutely bottom of the Clubs that are IMO worth watching these days and the availability of tickets suggest many others are of the same persuasion. Sadly, those that do venture up there at the weekend are likely to witness yet another turgid and characterless bore of a match dominated by long ball speculative punts upfield aimed at nobody in particular from both sides.

Doubt either side will have a match winning player on the pitch so 0-0 is overwhelmingly the most likely outcome but Saints being Saints our fragile defence will contrive to cock it up at least once so my money is on 0-1.

On a more positive note, a 0-4 thrashing will surely hasten Hasenhüttl's exit.....

Edited by Charlie Wayman

20 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Trains to Southampton from London should be OK - they'll probably just be a bit busier. 

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They are an incredibly defensive side, with experience at the back (proper experience too). They will keep it tight, sit deep, be hard to break down and try to exploit the break.

It has all the ingredients to be a very, very frustrating and ultimately pointless afternoon if we continue the same way. This is not the game for the likes of Elyounoussi, and it's also not the time for Adams up top on his own.

We need legs and players who are prepared to attack and break down the sides of them, as they're not the quickest recovery wise. Edozie, Aribo on the flanks with Adams and Armstrong through the middle. If that doesn't work, switch one of them for Mara early doors 2nd half.

If we play as we did against Villa or Wolves (scared to lose) then we will have no luck against a dogged Everton side. Need to be on the front foot and attack them from the off.

If Elyounoussi starts this one, given how totally unsuited he will be for it, then I will give up with football.

I agree, pace is the key, Edozie has to start and AA although he’s been poor again through the middle to run at them. Mara playing a decent part at some stage. If he wants to start with Ely again then time Selles was given sole charge by SR and Rasmus. This is a must not lose game and arguably must win. That will not happen with the current tactics. They can’t have watched the Villa debacle, Ely’s non performances in this league and been at all comfortable. It was as bad as anything under Pellegrino. They may need to intervene and put Ralph on gardening leave if he won’t listen to feedback. 

Edited by saint1977

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We could do with one of those own goals they like to score for us at St Mary's.

Alas Digne sold to Villa. Mind you, wasn’t as bad as Claus and Jonah’s mix up at Goodison Park. 4 conceded in several minutes with side of half time IIRC. 

Edited by saint1977

28 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Hasenhüttl won't pick him anyway, at least not as a starter. The Austrian Flopp doesn't need any excuses not to play him these days. Yet another half-decent footballer coached into extinction by our dynamic coaching cadre. 

Everton are absolutely bottom of the Clubs that are IMO worth watching these days and the availability of tickets suggest many others are of the same persuasion. Sadly, those that do venture up there at the weekend are likely to witness yet another turgid and characterless bore of a match dominated by long ball speculative punts upfield aimed at nobody in particular from both sides.

Doubt either side will have a match winning player on the pitch so 0-0 is overwhelmingly the most likely outcome but Saints being Saints our fragile defence will contrive to cock it up at least once so my money is on 0-1.

On a more positive note, a 0-4 thrashing will surely hasten Hasenhüttl's exit.....

Booooooo! Bring back the positive version of Charlie from a few weeks ago! ;)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

I agree, pace is the key, Edozie has to start and AA although he’s been poor again through the middle to run at them. Mara playing a decent part at some stage. If he wants to start with Ely again then time Selles was given sole charge by SR and Rasmus. This is a must not lose game and arguably must win. That will not happen with the current tactics. They can’t have watched the Villa debacle, Ely’s non performances in this league and been at all comfortable. It was as bad as anything under Pellegrino. They may need to intervene and put Ralph on gardening leave if he won’t listen to feedback. 

How do we not know that Selles is behind us being more defensive this season? Maybe he's the problem. Just a thought

It's going to be a 1 0 win to us. A frustrating game, where we get caught between trying to be a little more forward, but get stuck still trying to contain. The goal comes from a corner, that doesn't clear the first man on the first attempt. A scruffy second attempt ends up in the net. Both ref and VAR look to rule it out, but realise they can find nothing after 3 minutes. But can we kick on after this win?

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wonder how we'll look to deal with Iwobi, seems to have got a new lease of life playing in CM, and we're missing Lavia and obviously it's a bit of a problem position for us atm, with AMN not in favour and Diallo being Diallo.

AMN has had two weeks of super Ralph indoctrination so should be good to start, if he isn’t you have to wonder what Ralph is telling him. Start with a the powder puff midfield of Diallo and JWP then we’ll get bullied in midfield. Can’t really see us winning this one, Everton are a solid team with a good spine and will be hard to beat. A draw or 1-0 loss unfortunately.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic