Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

20 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

As usual the hope is that somehow our weak attack is magically transformed into one that can penetrate a well drilled and organised defence. However, the reality is that Ralph will have us playing safe keep ball, lots of backwards/sideways passing, putting Bazunu under more pressure than necessary leading to hoofball with midfield bypassed and few chances being made. And the most frustrating thing is that Everton are nothing special, just like Wolves and Villa, but they will probably come away with a relatively straightforward win as tactically we are so easy to predict. Result: 1-0 Everton.

If any of the above is correct I hope the Board have the gumption to do something about it asap because it will surely provide the evidence that persisting with Ralph could put us in real trouble before the end of the year.

This 100%

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Micky said:

Anything less than 3 points and I would expect a hastily called board meeting for 1730.

16 hours ago, DT said:

Can't see that happening if we draw tbh

15 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

May do. Depending on the manner of the draw and if the crowd turn on him.

We're in the Pellegrino phase now, where the club knows deep down that the manager's a broken flush, but will keep looking for any excuse to kick the can down the road and avoid making a decision (and a hefty pay off).

No chance he's sacked after a draw. That would be seen as a positive step forward.

He's going to be here until the WC no matter what. Maybe longer.

Whether our season will be salvageable by the time the board finally act is the big question.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

We're in the Pellegrino phase now, where the club knows deep down that the manager's a broken flush, but will keep looking for any excuse to kick the can down the road and avoid making a decision (and a hefty pay off).

No chance he's sacked after a draw. That would be seen as a positive step forward.

He's going to be here until the WC no matter what. Maybe longer.

Whether our season will be salvageable by the time the board finally act is the big question.

Pellegrino was far, far, far, far, far worse. Come on.

Saying stuff like our season is unsalvageable with Ralph - what on earth are you talking about? Are you looking at the same league table as me, sure you're not looking at Leicester? Baffling remark

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Saying stuff like our season is unsalvageable with Ralph - what on earth are you talking about? Are you looking at the same league table as me, sure you're not looking at Leicester? Baffling remark

Not really that baffling, i guess it depends if we think that under Ralph we will or wont be in Leicester's position by the time the world cup break arrives.  

As someone pointed out beat Everton on Saturday and 10 points from our 1st 8 games is a good return lose and 7 points from 8 games with Manchester City coming up next would be a worrying return. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Overall, definitely. At our best under Ralph he blows Pellegrino (and the likes of Puel) out of the water. Our recent form however is a different matter. Pellegrino was only here for 30 games. If you compare that to our last 30 under Ralph...

Manager Games Points Goals For Goals Against GD W D L
Pellegrino 30 28 29 44 -15 5 13 12
Hassenhuttl 30 31 36 57 -21 8 7 15

So 3 more points, more wins but more losses and a worse goal difference. An extra point every 10 games doesn't really indicate Ralph being far better currently. Keep in mind that those were Pellegrino's first 30 games whereas Ralph has had over 100 games under his belt with us prior to these last 30.

That's all kind of off topic though for this thread, I don't think any decision on his future will hinge on this one game. Maybe if we take a heavy loss and end the day in the relegation zone but I expect at least a point and if we're a bit braver in our play (which as the Home team we should be) there's no reason we can't take all 3 points.

Sometimes I think that Ralph's bizarre selections - not picking his best players - are so he always has an excuse for his own failings. It's come to that. Lose to Everton (I can see that happening) and I hope we finally get rid of him. Leicester look like they are hovering over Thomas Frank as replacement for Rodgers (judging by betting) so it might be wise to act quickly. Our patience with Ralph is a bit mysterious given the appalling record of last season and up and down performances this (after the honeymoon period when new players play less like they used to and more under Ralph's stultifying influence)

I'm not buying the start good players on the bench because there's five subs now excuse. Use the best players from the start, be proactive , take the lead and hope Elyounoussi can help us see it out, as he's incapable of giving us a lead. I'd rather have the likes of Aribo start the game at 0-0, rather than coming on when we're chasing the game every week. Watching a lot of football also, and every other team is starting with their best eleven. I thought the reason we went for five subs was so that we could maintain a high press for longer than just 45 minutes with players rotating throughout the match. We've seemingly dropped the press and developed some overly passive, keeping it safe crap that I don't want to see any of on Saturday.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I'm not saying this is our best side, or what will be picked, but I would look forward to seeing this line up :

Bazunu

Walker-Peters, Bella-Kotchap, Salisu, Perraud,

Maitland-Niles, Ward-Prowse,

Aribo, Edozie,

Mara, Adams

That's not a million miles away from our best side (with Lavia injured). Only question for me is where is stuey.. 

Somehow djenepo, elyuseless and Armstrong will start. Fuck knows how though.

Ref those selecting Aribo and Edozie, is that on the basis of the lack of competition or their form / potential ? My jury is out on Aribo, it’s still early days, I have not seen Edozie and have no idea if he should be a starter, personally I think that midfield would get shredded. Stu Armstrong has to come back in, things only seem to happen when he’s on the pitch. Likewise I have no view on AMN, I’d be inclined to leave out Edozie and bring in Stu. An unpopular view but I’d probably start with Elyonoussi as well, he’d be more effective if Stu was playing. So I’d have jwp , Stu, Elyonoussi and Aribo. The others could be introduced when required. 

14 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I'm not buying the start good players on the bench because there's five subs now excuse. Use the best players from the start, be proactive , take the lead and hope Elyounoussi can help us see it out, as he's incapable of giving us a lead. I'd rather have the likes of Aribo start the game at 0-0, rather than coming on when we're chasing the game every week. Watching a lot of football also, and every other team is starting with their best eleven. I thought the reason we went for five subs was so that we could maintain a high press for longer than just 45 minutes with players rotating throughout the match. We've seemingly dropped the press and developed some overly passive, keeping it safe crap that I don't want to see any of on Saturday.

If that is a definitive philosophy then it ain't working for the 6 teams below us in the table right now 😔

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Ref those selecting Aribo and Edozie, is that on the basis of the lack of competition or their form / potential ? My jury is out on Aribo, it’s still early days, I have not seen Edozie and have no idea if he should be a starter, personally I think that midfield would get shredded. Stu Armstrong has to come back in, things only seem to happen when he’s on the pitch. Likewise I have no view on AMN, I’d be inclined to leave out Edozie and bring in Stu. An unpopular view but I’d probably start with Elyonoussi as well, he’d be more effective if Stu was playing. So I’d have jwp , Stu, Elyonoussi and Aribo. The others could be introduced when required. 

Tbh my selection above is what I want to see and is based on 'grass is always greener' - I know the failings of Armstrong and Diallo and hope the new players are better. 

From what I've seen of Aribo I think he is better than Stu. 

As for the younger attacking options I have been excited by their cameos, but would be surprised if they were relied upon to start. 

Ely takes a lot of criticism but in the Chelsea game I thought he was central to our effort. 

I can't say I study the opposition to work out which players would be the best fit for each game, but as a paying spectator I would look forward to the game more if something like my line up above was starting. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

To be honest, I read his comments as trying to give confidence to those not playing. I think he's playing what he believes is the strongest possible 11 in each game.

I'd go this for Saturday

Bazunu

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

AMN JWP

Mara Aribo A Armstrong

Adams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

To be honest, I read his comments as trying to give confidence to those not playing. I think he's playing what he believes is the strongest possible 11 in each game.

I'd go this for Saturday

Bazunu

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

AMN JWP

Mara Aribo A Armstrong

Adams

He won’t play that side tho and you’re defend his decision of playing ..Arma moi and djenepo or god forbid diallo !!

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

How bout give the likes of edoize & Mara 60 mins .. play Aribo In his most effective postion coming inside of the right..play stu in the 10 role.. go a goal up for a change then .. bring on Adams to hold things up .. bring off stu for then diallo to shore things up in there .. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

He won’t play that side tho and you’re defend his decision of playing ..Arma moi and djenepo or god forbid diallo !!

A Arm and Djenepo have been alright this season.

I'll give you Diallo and Elyounoussi, I'd be disappointed/annoyed if either of them start on Saturday 

• Like 3

It's a bit ironic all the pre match focus on our dysfunctional midfield, when for the last few seasons we we largely happy with Stu, Orial and JWP but generally felt we were missing a decent wide / attacking player. Now we find ourselves with no Oriel (big loss IMO), Stu not in the reckoning and JWP out of form, but in his defence surrounded by a very weak midfield. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

A Arm and Djenepo have been alright this season.

I'll give you Diallo and Elyounoussi, I'd be disappointed/annoyed if either of them start on Saturday 

Ok djenepo has improved this season and learnt to play the left back Berth in a system drummed into him only for Ralph to then play him on the right .. 

why can’t we just start with our best options in the right positions then change and protect in the 2nd half instead trying to hold out then bring on attacking options wen we are USUALLY Chasing the game .!

Gav

kwp          Abk          Sali            Perraud 

Jwp             Amn

Aribo               Stu                Edoize 

Mara/Adams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

How bout give the likes of edoize & Mara 60 mins .. play Aribo In his most effective postion coming inside of the right..play stu in the 10 role.. go a goal up for a change then .. bring on Adams to hold things up .. bring off stu for then diallo to shore things up in there .. 

Not sure how Stu gives the team more of a goal threat, albeit he has not played loads, but no assists this season, or last and only 5 the season before, never producing much of a goal threat and now later in his career

11 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd go this for Saturday

Bazunu

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

AMN JWP

Mara Aribo A Armstrong

Adams

That’s what I’d set out if I was him. Need to stretch Everton at the back and round them in midfield where Saints are vulnerable minus Lavia. If we play slow and they sit in with the extra height and power it’ll be like playing Burnley when they were better under Dyche. And we know how that often panned out. All the crap from Ralph about AMN not being integrated - cut it out get him in the side, we need some muscle in there and JWP should be up for it after being sent home by England.

Mara is a wildcard but no point buying him and not using him, Edozie has played for England unders in the week so maybe keep him for 60 minutes if Mara is tiring or not impacting the game. Mara looks to be positive and try something different, get a shot away. What Stu used to do pre Covid. Aribo offers something different as well, how Ely could be preferred - dear me. Ely would be a good in a slow league but Aribo has the strength to compete. 

Only fly in your ointment might be that apparently the Scottish camp had a bug and Che was one affected. So might be on the bench if his energy levels are down. 

Edited by saint1977

On 27/09/2022 at 21:16, West end Saints said:

I'm not saying this is our best side, or what will be picked, but I would look forward to seeing this line up :

Bazunu

Walker-Peters, Bella-Kotchap, Salisu, Perraud,

Maitland-Niles, Ward-Prowse,

Aribo, Edozie,

Mara, Adams

The strangest thing is, I'd wager a good coin that we'll never actually see this XI.

• Like 1

Whens Lavia due back? I thought he was out for 5-6 weeks and we must be nearing 5 weeks already. 

Given Ralphs recent comments on AMN, its unlikely we'll see him for a while and therefore Diallo will still be in beside JWP. Ralph will also find a way to keep selecting Moi 🤦🏽‍♂️.

Our home record against Everton is very good, although they seem to be much improved defensively. Hopefully an early goal and then we can build from there. A much needed clean sheet would be welcome too. 2-0 Saints - Adams and Aribo

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Whens Lavia due back? I thought he was out for 5-6 weeks and we must be nearing 5 weeks already. 

Given Ralphs recent comments on AMN, its unlikely we'll see him for a while and therefore Diallo will still be in beside JWP. Ralph will also find a way to keep selecting Moi 🤦🏽‍♂️.

Our home record against Everton is very good, although they seem to be much improved defensively. Hopefully an early goal and then we can build from there. A much needed clean sheet would be welcome too. 2-0 Saints - Adams and Aribo

Saw a report this morning that said Lavia was back in training with the first team, however I doubt they’ll risk him for the weekend.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Saw a report this morning that said Lavia was back in training with the first team, however I doubt they’ll risk him for the weekend.

Injury was only 4 weeks ago, surely to soon, I'm sure he'll be keen to play at Man City the following week though 

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Injury was only 4 weeks ago, surely to soon, I'm sure he'll be keen to play at Man City the following week though 

West Ham on 16th looks more realistic. We're on a hiding to nothing next week at Man City anyway and it's a hamstring injury so best not to rush it, even if we do desperately need him. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Weird. They've won one game all season. They're more likely to go down than we are

Am I missing something? They're talking about ''the feelgood factor' around their club.

What have I missed? Have they had new investment or something I've missed?

They've got the same number of points as us but have won less games, and we're supposedly in the gutter.

Edited by S-Clarke

12 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

There was an Athletic article on AMN earlier in the week and it mentioned that Lavia is a couple of weeks away from a return.  Not sure if that's based on the initial assessment of six weeks out or they know something more. 

For what it's worth,  I'd play JWP, AMN and Diallo in midfield.  Not the most attacking but might give us a bit more solidity and something to build on.  

Let's go attacking and smash them.

Just stop playing shit players and start playing good ones.

See, easy.  It's not fucking rocket-science.

In reality, I'm expecting another head-scratching team selection, and more ponderous, negative, possession football.  Our stats for passing sideways and backwards must be off the charts.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Probably celebrating the famous 0-0 draw against Liverpool 

Same small time inferiority complex as our blue neighbours

To be fair they looked decent in that game , I haven't checked it but apparently they are unbeaten in 5 games and only conceded 2 goals in that time - seems sufficient to give the Toffees the feelgood factor! 

That defensive record does sound ominous for our toothless attack. 

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

To be fair they looked decent in that game , I haven't checked it but apparently they are unbeaten in 5 games and only conceded 2 goals in that time - seems sufficient to give the Toffees the feelgood factor! 

That defensive record does sound ominous for our toothless attack. 

Their opening seven fixtures have been quite favourable, other than Chelsea and Liverpool - Forest, Brentford, Leeds, Villa and a currently terrible West Ham.

Just now, Turkish said:

Yep generally when he’s got time to think about it the selection is weird 

I expect he'll rest a couple of our better players on the basis they've travelled too far / played lots of minutes during the international break 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic