Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

I expect he'll rest a couple of our better players on the basis they've travelled too far / played lots of minutes during the international break 

Wonder if Maitland-Niles has got to grips with our system yet. Another Two weeks on the training ground should surely be enough. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wonder if Maitland-Niles has got to grips with our system yet. Another Two weeks on the training ground should surely be enough. 

Will be a bit worrying for him if he's still not up to scratch, when did he last play a competitive match? 

Desperately need more physical presence in midfield so hopefully he can bring that. 

18 minutes ago, JRM said:

Will be a bit worrying for him if he's still not up to scratch, when did he last play a competitive match? 

Desperately need more physical presence in midfield so hopefully he can bring that. 

That’s a good point he barely played second half of last season for Roma I don’t think so a long time since he’ll have played 90 minutes

1 hour ago, Saintscummer said:

This is a simple one for me. If he picks Moi and Diallo over Aribo and AMN and we lose or even play poorly then he has to go. 

if he or SR lose the fans totally then it won’t be long. I’m no statto but our form the last 30 league games has been just about the worst it can get. 

I know Moi is currently the focus of a lot of frustration, but he can do a job within a functioning  midfield. I don’t get Diallo, he wouldn’t get near another first team in the top two English leagues, he is what he is, which is a French lower league 1 player.

• Like 1

AMN & Prowsey in the middle for me, even though AMN only played 8 games for Roma last season and not one of those was in CM, i just think he offers more than Diallo and Aribo who is not a CDM.  Djenepo & Elyounoussi both need to be replaced, who with is another question ! Ralph said after the Villa game he needs to come up with alternatives so we'll see what they have worked on. Hopefully we'll score the first goal and will go on to be a convincing win. Whoever the striker will be, together with the three behind him, they've got to start being more positive and create chances, we offered hardly anything at Wolves and Villa. We will see...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintoaks said:

AMN & Prowsey in the middle for me, even though AMN only played 8 games for Roma last season and not one of those was in CM, i just think he offers more than Diallo and Aribo who is not a CDM.  Djenepo & Elyounoussi both need to be replaced, who with is another question ! Ralph said after the Villa game he needs to come up with alternatives so we'll see what they have worked on. Hopefully we'll score the first goal and will go on to be a convincing win. Whoever the striker will be, together with the three behind him, they've got to start being more positive and create chances, we offered hardly anything at Wolves and Villa. We will see...

Interesting I didn't realise AMN only played 8 games for Roma all season and none of those in centre mid, maybe he's not the answer then, I'd assumed he was brought in to help fill the hole left by Romeu

Edited by JRM

Some comments from Ralph’s presser this afternoon.

‘Everton is a great team and we must set us up to stop them.’

‘The new signings will only start when they know how I want them to play.’

‘We are hoping our strikers can carry on with there great scoring form.’

’I must find a place in the team for Adam (Armstrong) Diallo and Elyounoussi as they have been helping me set up the training this week.’

‘Do I fear the sack? Not at all as it would be the best retirement gift ever.’

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

’I must find a place in the team for Adam (Armstrong) Diallo and Elyounoussi as they have been helping me set up the training this week.’

If he plays Diallo and Ely and ignores some of our other players again then I will scream. Why are we setting up at home against a poor team to try to stop them? We should be trying to win the game by being positive and taking it to them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If he plays Diallo and Ely and ignores some of our other players again then I will scream. Why are we setting up at home against a poor team to try to stop them? We should be trying to win the game by being positive and taking it to them. 

Imagine either of them starting, let alone both

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

He actively wants the sack, doesn't he? Freudian, that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Everton is a great team and we must set us up to stop them.’

You had me until here hahaha

• Haha 3

AMN closer to what we expect apparently. 

England international, fa cup winner, European league runner up, England u-17 World Cup winner, played for two of Europes biggest clubs almost ready to take part in our relegation battle

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Pilchards said:

You had me at first, my rage was building...well played!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. And although we havent had a clean sheet yet, we seem much better defensively. I'd be inclined to commit more forward and trust ABK, Salisu, KWP and Perraud to do deal with any counter threat. Set pieces are a different matter 🤦🏽‍♂️

May be wishful thinking, but if we lose this then Ralph could be on his way. Im not convinced that SR will let this shitshow drag out 🤞🏼. Hopefully we win though and can start finding some consistency

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yup. Diallo I can kind of understand, although AMN surely has to start now ahead of him.

Ely hasn't started the season well and if he plays tomorrow I'll be dismayed for sure, there are far better options in the team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Nah mate, it’s true..

As in ‘that’s bolloxs’ as football should be 3.00pm on a Saturday as it makes it a great day for the fans with the build up and a good drink afterwards.

Shame the 90 minutes in the middle spoils it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If Diallo and Moi start over AMN and Aribo and then we go on to play abysmally and draw/lose Ralph must go. 
His record over the last 27 games is ridiculously poor to say the least. 
I suspect it will be another bizarre team selection followed by useless substitutes at the last minute. 
All rounded off with a mundane toothless display. Why would I expect that to change? As it’s been Hasenhuttles’MO for months. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tony Cascarino on Talksport reckons Everton will get ‘a result’ today and is disappointed with us over the past two games. Also that Ralph will be under pressure if we lose, as Alex Crook has mentioned. Last time he predicted this kind of thing I reported it on here and there was a lot of flak. I think he’s right again and I hope that if the worst does happen today that at least it will precipitate getting rid of our turgid and ineffective manager. 
Or I if we win he’s a genius. 

One of our best performances was the home game against them last season, need that today. A clean sheet would be nice as well. 

Blitz them right from kick off, score early on, ruin their gameplan, make them try and attack us and we'll go on and win comfortably 

Edited by Pamplemousse

51 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

One of our best performances was the home game against them last season, need that today. A clean sheet would be nice as well. 

Blitz them right from kick off, score early on, ruin their gameplan, make them try and attack us and we'll go on and win comfortably 

We don't have the attacking players to "blitz" anyone, particularly up against what is now an experienced Everton back line.

We had a very good window in addressing our defensive frailties, but we still have one of the weakest set of attacking players in this league. 

Supporters need to be a bit more realistic with their expectations when you've got the likes of Adam Armstrong and Elyounoussi in your 18 every week

Edited by Verbal Kint
  • Like 1

It's not that they're in the 18 but in the starting 11, although you could argue that it's good to have players to come on who make a difference, a positive one.

If the crowd is anything like I'm feeling at the moment it could be a nervous one, but an early goal for us would help.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic