Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

Can we please shithouse a 1-0 win like Wolves and Villa did to us?

I’ll happily be under the cosh all of the second half if only we can win. 

It always feel like when we win we have to work hard for it and usually we deserve it, but winning against the run of play isn’t our thing.

• Like 1

Here's another way to think about the first half. Ralph took the risk many have been calling for, and played a full suite of young, exciting players.  Is it really realistic to think they'd instantly gel? We've seen lots of quick glimpses of potential. And we're still level. The more this goes on, their confidence will grow. A goal could be transformative. We came close.  It's just way too early to start slamming this effort. We're going for it. There's still every chance of a second half with fewer nervous errors and a Saints goal or two. Stop whinging and give these kids that chance!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Maybe they keep turning the streams off because the football is too dire to broadcast. We are diabolical, Armstrong looks like a busted flush and JWP is not much better. Ralph just do us all a favour and resign this evening. You are an embarrassment with another awful team selection.

Who would you have picked instead Charlie me 'ol mucker?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, santolijador said:

It's almost as if we needed to sign a (proven) striker this summer... dire from us, so many misplaced passes this season in general

Haaland wouldn't score for us. JWP and co. are hell bent on passing back or scuffing it to the oppo.

• Like 4

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Not sure why we've changed formation again either. Stick Mara up top playing on the shoulder, get Aribo on the right wing and Armstrong on the left. 

It's called Ralphball - trouble is, it doesn't work. Get him gone.

• Like 2

Frantic in defense and slow in possession. It's gone mostly as I expected in terms of our inability to control the game. Counter-attacking is arguably the right way to go given we don't have a proper CDM to help us take control of the midfield. We need to see more from the forward players, better and quicker decision making.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Here's another way to think about the first half. Ralph took the risk many have been calling for, and played a full suite of young, exciting players.  Is it really realistic to think they'd instantly gel? We've seen lots of quick glimpses of potential. And we're still level. The more this goes on, their confidence will grow. A goal could be transformative. We came close.  It's just way too early to start slamming this effort. We're going for it. There's still every chance of a second half with fewer nervous errors and a Saints goal or two. Stop whinging and give these kids that chance!!!

A good point, but Ralphs sides have always had that morale boosting win where everything seems to click throughout his time here - then we revert to type. 

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Maybe they keep turning the streams off because the football is too dire to broadcast. We are diabolical, Armstrong looks like a busted flush and JWP is not much better. Ralph just do us all a favour and resign this evening. You are an embarrassment with another awful team selection.

Err, it’s not good but you’ve got a couple things wrong there. Armstrong has been one of our better players showing some creativity. The team selection makes no difference - we always play the same boring, ponderous tactics and JWP is complicit.

If we win this 1-0 in the last minute, I'll call it a great day. I've said before, I could not care less what brand of football is played or how boring the game is as long as we get a win. Same sentiments if we go all guns blazing, play epic football and lose, in that case it's a horrible day.

• Like 1

Just now, NewYorkSaint said:

Kindly take your pragmatism elsewhere sir/madam! 

re: Stream, I don't know if it helps anyone else  but it works for me, those of you with an iPad download Live Player - media streaming, then search for Southampton or whatever the home team is when we're playing away. It's very adverty and buffers a lot (for me but then my iPad is about 9 years old) but it worked sporadically in that first half and some games are better than others. 

2 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Everton look the more likely to score, but haven't really troubled the keeper.

Saints (not for the first time) can't strong two passes together. This is not a classic.

Everton haven't troubled the keeper, but the keeper has troubled the keeper.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

How has the kid at left back done?

nothing glaringly bad, but nothing overly great either. If you judge the half based on this being his full debut and him being very young, then he's done OK, but he hasn't improved us immediately.

Seriously, Edozie.

Bring him on, give him more than five minutes. He’s shown more attacking intent than anyone in our last two matches and has had two subs appearances of 10 and 20mins.

Give him 45, the guy had a good international break, what does he have to do to get more than 5mins to produce a miracle when we are chasing games?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic