New Manager Thread v3

Dman

Postecoglou looking done deal for Spurs.

While I would be OK with him taking over at Saints I wouldn't be dancing in the streets if we got him or blame Spurs fans for thinking he is not good enough for them. 

Previous Scottish league winners include Gerrard (shite) Strachan (disaster at Boro) Neil Lennon (disaster at Bolton) Ronny Delia (ummm). Its a different world.

Maybe he's more like a Martin O'Neil-at-Villa figure but I'm not quite seeing it.

Edited by CB Fry

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Postecoglou looking done deal for Spurs.

While I would be OK with him taking over at Saints I wouldn't be dancing in the streets if we got him or blame Spurs fans for thinking he is not good enough for them. 

Previous Scottish league winners include Gerrard (shite) Strachan (disaster at Boro) Neil Lennon (disaster at Bolton) Ronny Delia (ummm). Its a different world.

Maybe he's more like a Martin O'Neil-at-Villa figure but I'm not quite seeing it.

Having watched a lot of Postecoglou (managed sides) in Oz and Japan prior to his move to Glasgow I've been surprised by the amount of rave notices he's been given for his record at Celtic.  I mean apart from the 20/21 revival of Rangers it's been Celtic's name being engraved on the shield every season for more than a decade - it hasn't been a high bar for a Manager to clear, has it?

I hope Levy signs him up because they won't be getting the next big thing they might be expecting.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, Badger said:

Could he have been worse than NJ and Ruben from November onwards ?

Obviously not but I don't think that he was what we really needed. Things were so rotten at the club that it would have taken a small miracle to keep us up. He would have been a Mark Hughes-type sticking plaster that may or may not have kept us up. No doubt he would have been replaced if by someone the next season...

• Like 1

Dyche was always going to be the Hughes option. A quick fix who may save us from relegation, but ultimately the football would be hard to watch, we'd have no identity and we would be relegated eventually

Edited by woodsaint1

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Could be worse, we could've ended up with Sean Dyche 🙃

Fair based on the dross Everton served up today but the squad/toxicity he has inherited would have been tricky for any manager to do much with.

FWIW I think they'll come down this year along with Luton and Sheff Utd though if they keep above the dotted line it will largely be because the likes of Wolves have fucked up or Fulham fall apart without Mitro up top. 17th would be a good season for them, much like us they've been circling for a good few years and are weighed down by a cycle of woeful recruitment and muddled squad building.