New Manager Thread v3

Dman

Quite clearly Selles isn’t the answer, so a thread to track managers for next season. 

Personally, Cooper, if available, is my number 1. But I’d also be tempted to see if Virera want the Job now with a view of building for next season. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I’d be happy with anyone who has a nasty streak and puts Rasmus in his box and makes him into their member of staff until he knows something at an everyday level about the industry he works in. ‘I need a mobile centre forward Rasmus lad, go and get me a shortlist’. Rasmus needs performance managing in a very public way by an experienced manager who will use the press wisely. But a couple of more familiar names with high standards below. 

So it has to be a fairly big name and a tough character. Happy with any of the below:

Steve Cooper

Patrick Vieira

Benitez

Gerrard

Rooney

Warnock

Allardyce

Fonte or Lallana to reconnect to the fans and neither would take any nonsense from Rasmus. Lallana would help inspire the u18s and has his coaching badges.

No chance of Carrick by the way. Lowe at PNE is alright though as would be his former assistant Schumacher at Plymouth. Good northern football people who don’t take any bullshit. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

If those available Potter or Rogers would be perfect but think they’ve got enough credit in the bank to both get other premier league jobs 

Of the rest Cooper is such a good fit but probably too obvious for our geniuses running us.

Viera would be decent 

Moyes if he comes available would be okay I think. 

I expect we’ll get someone we’ve never heard of as an out of the box, blue sky thinking appointment 

whoever gets it is going to have a tough job on their hands. A truly awful season, a terrible team, a bunch of utter wallies running us. Confidence of players rock bottom and a pile of shit we won’t be able to sell with the only decent ones we’ve got probably leaving 

it needs a clean sweep from the boardroom down. Semmens needs to go, an utter clown. The manager needs to go, until there is a reset we are going to struggle in the championship. A real losing mentality right through the club. 

we need someone to come in with a bit of kudos and presence. What we don’t need is another trainee manager, sadly I think that’s what we’ll get 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

Cooper would be great if available or Potter if attainable. Rowett has rebuilt a once promising reputation and knows his way around the championship.

I genuinely don't think we would be the worst attraction next season. There is enough quality in the squad (even with some departures) to compete for promotion if they can get some early momentum. The board, despite some major cock ups this year, have backed us financially and seem likely to continue to do so. We have some exciting young talent to work with and mould. Premier league jobs are hard to come by and highly coveted so anybody fancying building a team in their own image and taking them up may fancy it - just look at the amazing work Frank and Silva have done! Both managers I would have wanted in years gone by but well out of our reach now. I expect we'll also be paying good wages comparative to most top European leagues so should be able to cast our net wide if there are promising managers elsewhere - Knutsen seems to be linked every time a mid to low premier league job comes up and he's got some pedigree.

• Like 2

I'm excited about a fresh start in the summer, but equally nervous as fuck given that every decision that has been made in the last year has been the wrong one. Not just a little bit wrong either, catastrophically wrong. I can't even guess who they'd chose as a manager at this stage, and given the track record it's going to be wrong.

I have no idea what to expect. But to say I'm apprehensive would be an understatement.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Cooper would be great if available or Potter if attainable. Rowett has rebuilt a once promising reputation and knows his way around the championship.

I genuinely don't think we would be the worst attraction next season. There is enough quality in the squad (even with some departures) to compete for promotion if they can get some early momentum. The board, despite some major cock ups this year, have backed us financially and seem likely to continue to do so. We have some exciting young talent to work with and mould. Premier league jobs are hard to come by and highly coveted so anybody fancying building a team in their own image and taking them up may fancy it - just look at the amazing work Frank and Silva have done! Both managers I would have wanted in years gone by but well out of our reach now. I expect we'll also be paying good wages comparative to most top European leagues so should be able to cast our net wide if there are promising managers elsewhere - Knutsen seems to be linked every time a mid to low premier league job comes up and he's got some pedigree.

Exciting young talent doesn’t get you out of the championship mate. It also, evidently, doesn’t keep you in the premier league. 

we need to bring in 5-6 experienced players. in goal, centre back, central midfield and up front. A spine of the team that is strong and experienced and fit the rest in around them. No more fucking about gambling on kids and resale value, pathway more important than league positions and all that horse shit. It’s failed. Failed spectacularly. Do what we need to do to get results now. 

same goes for a manager. No trainee, no spreadsheet manager. Someone who can actually do the job and can prove it by results not spreadsheets. 

the current lot are not fit for purpose. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exciting young talent doesn’t get you out of the championship mate. It also, evidently, doesn’t keep you in the premier league. 

we need to bring in 5-6 experienced players. in goal, centre back, central midfield and up front. A spine of the team that is strong and experienced and fit the rest in around them. No more fucking about gambling on kids and resale value, pathway more important than league positions and all that horse shit. It’s failed. Failed spectacularly. Do what we need to do to get results now. 

same goes for a manager. No trainee, no spreadsheet manager. Someone who can actually do the job and can prove it by results not spreadsheets. 

It doesn't by itself, as you say big part of the reason we've come up short. Our best teams have had a blend of both and clear, coherent leadership which we've sorely lacked.

I don't agree we need 5-6 but it depends what's left next year. A midfield of Prowse, Alcarez and Lavia is good enough. We should be able to put together a decent CB partnership from the bunch we have - they're internationals and with the right coaching should be able good enough for the championship. Baz has been thrown in to the deep end and in a proper side with a settled defence you would hope he might fare better but accept we could improve. Up front - the right striker would do wonders. We went big on tall Paul and I'm still not sure why. You may disagree but I fancy Adams to get goals in the championship but much prefer him in a two. I hope Ballard get's a chance to show if he's got enough next year. Probably a bit of an idealist w@nker but in lieu of competing for trophies which seems an ever distant prospect one of the few things that gives me a bit of joy being a saints fan is when we bring decent talent through the academy. 

Spreadsheet manager or not I just want to see somebody with a coherent plan and as you say ideally a big of experience! Ralph before the 9-0's scared the life out of him, Poch (probably loved a spreadsheet), Koeman (probably only had one to tally up the golf scores), Adkins ... Even Puel I sort of got it - didn't always like it but you knew what his plan was on the pitch. With the late stage Ralph, Nathan 'I don't recognise myself in this team' Jones and Selles I rarely have a clue what our plan is in games. I mean, Aribo starting today - why? Where did we see the goals coming from? 

The squad is a complete mess, we need a strong experienced manager to take charge of the whole shit show.

Anyone connected to this season, especially anyone involved in recruitment need to get the bullet, otherwise next season will be more of the same. They have got everything so wrong it is scary.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Indeed. Lambert was 27, Fonte 26, Hammond 26, Chaplow 25, Richardson 27, Guly 28, Sharp 25, Fox 25 and Hooiveld 28 when all signed. We had Davis in goal, who was 33 when we started our rise back up and brought in older senior pros in Butterfield, Jaidi, Connolly and Murty, who contributed to the playing side and weren't just "they're good to have around the dressing room" blokes also.

They helped guide and mature the youth of Schneiderlin, Lallana and Chamberlain.

Who'd have thought that signing players in their prime would bring success.

Semmens and the others have done a Les Reed/Wilson arrogance show on us. Reed recycled the squad and manager once with a number of good transfers and even made us better. So, he believed he had cracked football and could do it again and again. He couldn't. It was a one summer thing. He said we always had a replacement ready to go, we didn't.

Semmens/the recruitment team saw the success of Livramento last summer, who was relatively cheap for the Premier League. So, again, they thought they had found an untapped market and tried to create a team of Livramento's. Amazingly, didn't work, while we also made some panic signings of more experienced players for good measure.

• Like 9

The first name on the end of season hit list for Solak has to be Ankersen, as he won’t want a manager with gravitas or football nous in charge alongside - they’d find him out within days.  Cooper or Potter provide just what we need, but we have to be able to make them a credible offer. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

I’d be happy with anyone who has a nasty streak and puts Rasmus in his box and makes him into their member of staff until he knows something at an everyday level about the industry he works in. ‘I need a mobile centre forward Rasmus lad, go and get me a shortlist’. Rasmus needs performance managing in a very public way by an experienced manager who will use the press wisely. But a couple of more familiar names with high standards below. 

So it has to be a fairly big name and a tough character. Happy with any of the below:

Steve Cooper

Patrick Vieira

Benitez

Gerrard

Rooney

Warnock

Allardyce

Fonte or Lallana to reconnect to the fans and neither would take any nonsense from Rasmus. Lallana would help inspire the u18s and has his coaching badges.

No chance of Carrick by the way. Lowe at PNE is alright though as would be his former assistant Schumacher at Plymouth. Good northern football people who don’t take any bullshit. 

Fonte

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Let me be the first to say i havent got a clue.

Does a name manager work in championship ? can an aggressive young manager work ? do we need a seasoned performer in that league ? etc etc etc

Maybe we can be the first AI manager club and get it to run the team.

hmm, not so sure on that. Chat GPT sounds like it has the same views as Selles (hmmm..may Selles is already using it to make his decisions?)

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 18.52.54.png

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 18.53.00.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I understand that most of us has little to no faith in Ankersen making good decisions based on the last year.

My issue is that I have just as little faith in the players. Get in new board, leadership and manager with the same players and I still think we will have major problems next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpweySaint said:

It doesn't by itself, as you say big part of the reason we've come up short. Our best teams have had a blend of both and clear, coherent leadership which we've sorely lacked.

I don't agree we need 5-6 but it depends what's left next year. A midfield of Prowse, Alcarez and Lavia is good enough. We should be able to put together a decent CB partnership from the bunch we have - they're internationals and with the right coaching should be able good enough for the championship. Baz has been thrown in to the deep end and in a proper side with a settled defence you would hope he might fare better but accept we could improve. Up front - the right striker would do wonders. We went big on tall Paul and I'm still not sure why. You may disagree but I fancy Adams to get goals in the championship but much prefer him in a two. I hope Ballard get's a chance to show if he's got enough next year. Probably a bit of an idealist w@nker but in lieu of competing for trophies which seems an ever distant prospect one of the few things that gives me a bit of joy being a saints fan is when we bring decent talent through the academy. 

Spreadsheet manager or not I just want to see somebody with a coherent plan and as you say ideally a big of experience! Ralph before the 9-0's scared the life out of him, Poch (probably loved a spreadsheet), Koeman (probably only had one to tally up the golf scores), Adkins ... Even Puel I sort of got it - didn't always like it but you knew what his plan was on the pitch. With the late stage Ralph, Nathan 'I don't recognise myself in this team' Jones and Selles I rarely have a clue what our plan is in games. I mean, Aribo starting today - why? Where did we see the goals coming from? 

Lavia will be gone. No way is he going to be playing championship football next season. I expect JWP will get some interest, so there’s two of your three midfielders possibly gone. We’ll need one if not two there. 

centre back I’d expect Salisu and DCC to get other clubs easily enough, probably Bella-Kotchap as well. Leaves us Bednarek, Stephens (although Bournemouth might want to keep him) and Lyanco, frighteningly shite. We need at least one decent centre back probably two, no kids,  no YHGTIers. 

KWP will go, Liveramento and Bree fine there thought. Left back Perrard okay in the championship then the wierd situation of having a shit load of 18/19 year old left backs behind him.

up front we’re probably stuck with tall Paul, Armstrong and Soluemana who might be alright. We need to bring in someone who’s got a record of scoring in the championship and I don’t mean Armstrong 3 years ago. 

in goal we’ve got the shite Bazunu, who doesn’t seem to be able to save much, can’t see my reason why he’s going to be any better in the championship 

so year 5 decent experienced players is probably the minimum. 

this is the same lot that got knocked out the FA cup by Grimsby and struggled against Blackpool and Sheffield Wednesday this season. We ain’t going to be smashing up the championship unless things change 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Lavia will be gone. No way is he going to be playing championship football next season. I expect JWP will get some interest, so there’s two of your three midfielders possibly gone. We’ll need one if not two there. 

centre back I’d expect Salisu and DCC to get other clubs easily enough, probably Bella-Kotchap as well. Leaves us Bednarek, Stephens (although Bournemouth might want to keep him) and Lyanco, frighteningly shite. We need at least one decent centre back probably two, no kids,  no YHGTIers. 

KWP will go, Liveramento and Bree fine there thought. Left back Perrard okay in the championship then the wierd situation of having a shit load of 18/19 year old left backs behind him.

up front we’re probably stuck with tall Paul, Armstrong and Soluemana who might be alright. We need to bring in someone who’s got a record of scoring in the championship and I don’t mean Armstrong 3 years ago. 

in goal we’ve got the shite Bazunu, who doesn’t seem to be able to save much, can’t see 

so year 5 decent experienced players is probably the minimum. 

this is the same lot that got knocked out the FA cup by Grimsby and struggled against Blackpool and Sheffield Wednesday this season. We ain’t going to be smashing up the championship unless things change 

We’ll need a new spine of the side. 

GK

CB

CM (x2 probably)

ST

thats a minimum. 

• Like 4

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Fulham got Marco Silva in the Championship.

I think we should be able to attract a whole host of managers who wish to rebuild their reputation in English football.

For me, I would like Patrick Vieira.

Most will want to hang around to see if a Premier League job comes up first. Only when West Ham, Leeds, and possibly Leicester(depending where they finish) have filled their jobs will some of the names touted look down to the Championship.

Ideally I'd like to see an early appointment - but of the right candidate - to be fully involved in discussing and trying to influence both retained and recruitment lists. Preferably Monday, but that isn't going to happen. Knowing us it will be a case of waiting for Wilcox to start, get his feet under the table, break a few digestives over coffees with Rasmus, review the manager spreadsheets, and then look to recruit( mid July).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

We need to make the appointment now to give as long as possible to prepare for next season. I don't think the team we put out today would even win games in the Championship. It is a total reset we need.

We do need to get everything sorted early doors, in a weird way it's kind of fortunate we're relegated early as the club should now start putting the wheels in the motion for the sales we need to make, and the new players we will recruit for the Champ - and the manager options. 

In that sense we have a bit of an advantage over the clubs still unsure of their fate, we should be clear on ours. But sadly I imagine the club will still believe there is a chance we'll stay up after the Liverpool game as they're so dim.

• Like 1

I’d like to see Carrick or Rowett - whichever doesn’t go up. Not convinced about Gerrard / Rooney etc. Potter would be batting above our average, only wild left field style thinking I’d like to see would be a top manager from another league Prem clubs haven’t taken a gamble on - ie Celtic manager (I know extremely unlikely).

Cooper would be tailor made - question is if Forest go down, and even then if they sack him.

It's great that people are coming up with a list of names of managers who have experience and may be just what we need.

But... We need to bear in mind the reality that they probably aren't going to be attracted to us. To put some perspective on it, the guy fired from Leeds for being dog shit turned us down....

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm excited about a fresh start in the summer, but equally nervous as fuck given that every decision that has been made in the last year has been the wrong one. Not just a little bit wrong either, catastrophically wrong. I can't even guess who they'd chose as a manager at this stage, and given the track record it's going to be wrong.

I have no idea what to expect. But to say I'm apprehensive would be an understatement.

That’s my worry. this club has been in decline for 5 years. Relegation was going to be inevitable the way we were heading. when SR came in you thought things had turned. But if they’d sent someone in to sabotage us they couldn’t have done a better job. 

so although it’s been death but 1000000 cuts and part of me is looking forward to a reset and rebuild the serious concern is that the wallies running us are going to carry on getting everything wrong. In incompetence is staggering 

• Like 5

Co-owner Rasmus Ankersen:

"Nathan's xAggression distribution plot shows that his aggression is relentless and edgy and his violent Luton side have recently been promoted to the PL to vindicate his work. He is highly skilled in counter surveillance and has learned a lot since he led our culture workstream in Q1 2023."

Nathan is currently rehabbing from a superficial wound sustsined during a bootcamp exercise in Cranborne and once recovered will lead pre season at Llandudno alongside his assistants Neil Trotman and James Bree.

In addition to this sought after appointment, the club is delighted to announce the resumption of our partnership with LD Sports.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Fonte

Would be a gamble, and one fuelled largely by sentiment. 

But at least he’d start with the support of the fan base.

Would certainly prefer Fonte to a Lampard/Gerrard/ Rooney appointment. 

• Like 1

How about Scott Parker? I can't stand him. But he has taken two teams up. I like what Rowett has done at Millwall. But he has never actually managed a promotion from the Championship and the omens would not be good to employ a second manager who failed at Stoke.

17 hours ago, Badger said:

Most will want to hang around to see if a Premier League job comes up first. Only when West Ham, Leeds, and possibly Leicester(depending where they finish) have filled their jobs will some of the names touted look down to the Championship.

Ideally I'd like to see an early appointment - but of the right candidate - to be fully involved in discussing and trying to influence both retained and recruitment lists. Preferably Monday, but that isn't going to happen. Knowing us it will be a case of waiting for Wilcox to start, get his feet under the table, break a few digestives over coffees with Rasmus, review the manager spreadsheets, and then look to recruit( mid July).

I think a lot  of season ticket renewals will depend on who the club appoint as manager.  That’s certainly the case with me.

I don’t think leaving it until July is a great idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I think a lot  of season ticket renewals will depend on who the club appoint as manager.  That’s certainly the case with me.

I don’t think leaving it until July is a great idea.

We can't leave it until July because the Championship season kicks off earlier than the Premier League. We need to be ready with the new setup mid-June

23 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Steve Cooper

Patrick Vieira

Benitez

Gerrard

Rooney

Warnock

Allardyce

All wrong !. ....it will be some unknown from a foreign league who can scarcely speak two sentences in English when interviewed on Sky...

and who uses Esperanto and sign language in the training sessions... 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

All wrong !. ....it will be some unknown from a foreign league who can scarcely speak two sentences in English when interviewed on Sky...

and who uses Esperanto and sign language in the training sessions... 

Thought we had that already, boyo?

Did anyone ever learn the translation for 'Romeo, done'?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Yep, it’ll be some randomer from an obscure league because his team had good XG or some bullshit.

Most obscure league Rasmus has recruited a manager from whilst at Brentford and Southampton is the dutch league. The rest have been in house appointments or the Championship. 

I've been thinking about this over the weekend. I have talked myself into thinking Gerrard wouldn't be the worst shout.

I can't even quantify how I have come to that, maybe it would be seen as a "name" appointment.

I think he would be a draw for players in the Championship. I also completely agree with those who have said we desperately need some experience. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

I've been thinking about this over the weekend. I have talked myself into thinking Gerrard wouldn't be the worst shout.

I can't even quantify how I have come to that, maybe it would be seen as a "name" appointment.

I think he would be a draw for players in the Championship. I also completely agree with those who have said we desperately need some experience. 

The trouble with Gerrard is that it’s pretty common knowledge that Beale was the brains behind any of his (relative) success. 

Id probably rather Lampard than Gerrard, tbh. 

But think we should steer clear of both. Van Bronckhorst? What happened with him at rangers? They were brilliant in that europa league run. 

I think I said it before on another thread, that if we get a decent proper football manager, we do have some very good championship level players. Both Che and Armstrong are proven at this level and I think their confidence would soon come back if they had a decent manager playing proper attacking football and they started banging in early goals. For defence and GK it really depends who leaves. I suspect Salisu and ABK would be gone, so yes, we would need better than the rest we have left. Would Banzunu be OK in the Champsionship? Not for me as it is a lot tougher with more direct styles of play. He would be flapping himself into orbit.

All in all, I think with a a load of sales, some clear out and some decent defenders and GK we would be top 10 material, probably better. But the crucial part without doubt is manager and getting shot of the awful management in the club.

• Like 1