New Manager Thread v3

Dman

15 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Still younger than Hodgson. To stay with Selles is just accepting relegation…

If you are struggling, like we have been for a few years, you need a managerial appointment to really excite the fanbase and players to reinvigorate the club and city. KK would do that. He might be able to find some positive momentum pretty quickly. Although Newcastle was/is without doubt his first, second and third love, there is still a connection there, and I think he'd still be a good summer appointment for us and one that might see us bounce straight back. I don't think we'll see him in management again though.

On 18/04/2023 at 16:25, pimpin4rizeal said:

What’s the alternative .. just let selles continue to dig up rubbish like walcott and elyounoussi.. might as well go down the graveyard and dig up a couple of corpses .. and play his piss poor version of ralphball ..

Doing that is basically giving up .. no point going to the games no point even watching a steam .. ..

or we could actually try to get another manager in that might actually have some new ideas, utilise the new signings etc .:

SR have made some bad decisions, but to just let this guy who is not even a manager continue with this piss poor passive attempt of keeping the score down would be the most crazy of the lot we need to at least try 

We've got 6 wins in 31 games, we need 4 wins from the next 7 - it's not happening. I'm not saying don't replace Selles, I'm saying that if they do the replacement needs to be the manager they think will get us promoted next season which, less face it, isn't going to happen (not least because we might have our eyes on someone who is currently in work). Otherwise it's all just another waste of money on compensation for an almost impossible feet for footballing.

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think Selles will be gone before the end of the season.

It would be another admittance of Ankersen’s incompetence, and his ego is too precious to damage… 

If we get thrashed at Arsenal I reckon the board will act. Especially if we're somehow still 4 points from safety going into the Bournemouth game.

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we get thrashed at Arsenal I reckon the board will act. Especially if we're somehow still 4 points from safety going into the Bournemouth game.

Why wait if they’re going to do it?  Selles is doing a horrendous job.  That said, it makes no sense to change the coach now. We are down regardless.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Why wait if they’re going to do it?  Selles is doing a horrendous job.  That said, it makes no sense to change the coach now. We are down regardless.

The thing is, we’re not. We still have a fighters chance of staying up given how poor the league is this year. 

but I don’t think anyone could get a tune out of these serial losers. 

36 minutes ago, Dman said:

The thing is, we’re not. We still have a fighters chance of staying up given how poor the league is this year. 

but I don’t think anyone could get a tune out of these serial losers. 

Its improbable but not impossible to stay up ! Getting in a experienced manager for 6 games......sounds looney tunes, but its been that all season !

Will be interesting to see what SR go for.

In theory its an attractive job and a good chance of going straight back up - albeit not helped by the size of the other clubs likely to come down.

There is also the fan element. Feels like it needs to be someone who can very quickly get the fans onside.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dusic said:

In theory its an attractive job and a good chance of going straight back up - albeit not helped by the size of the other clubs likely to come down.

There is also the fan element. Feels like it needs to be someone who can very quickly get the fans onside.

That's why I could see it being Potter - ex-player (albeit it briefly) and all that. Needs to be a mood booster as well as smart choice for a promotion push (IMO)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m amazed to see some people saying Lampard 

2F421B02-328B-4AB1-807D-B05242AAC475.jpeg

Turkish, really you should not have posted this. Very poor taste indeed.

I doubt the parents of the two little girls that Huntley murdered would find any references to that hideous monster at all  funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I doubt the parents of the two little girls that Huntley murdered would find any references to that hideous monster at all  funny.

I doubt they read this forum pal

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Nasty piece of work in callous post shocker. You are quite right, it is in poor taste. Even poorer taste that someone finds it funny.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DT said:

Hey, @Pilchards - do you have any updates? Really want to believe your post but fear time ticking and isn't Selles taking a press conference today?

I doubt anyone being lined up would want to walk into the Arsenal game first up to be fair. The real issue comes when we win 1-0 tomorrow.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

Manager number 4. A last throw of the dice to save the season. Obviously a massive long shot to change manager yet again at this late stage, but if it’s your business then shouldn’t you throw everything at it to ensure it survives? Maybe an opportunity for SR to signal to supporters that they really do believe we can stay up and these players can do it. 

It’s been plain to see why the general feeling and consensus is we’re going down. But… a team at the bottom for so long, 3 different managers, no credible striker and with just 23 points, should be well adrift by now. …. We’re not! 

Leeds, Everton & Forest are stumbling about and Leicester appear to have stopped dead in the water  The others above that have all improved their results enough over the last month to move up a little and may well go on to survive.                                                        But, performance wise, the bottom 5 are still stuck together. 

I think the time to recruit a manager for now and also to be championship ready, was when Selles was appointed. That was 10 games ago. He’s failed the audition for next season. So, a mercenary appointment.  A ‘6/7 games to save the season’ manager.       Inspirational. Respected. Experienced. Direct. Someone to galvanise the fans and players alike. (No, I don’t know who!)

Currently under Selles, It’s emotionally over before being ‘mathematically’ confirmed. We’re predictable with him. Easy to play against. The right appointment might just give our final opposition managers something to think about. At least get Saints fans up on their feet for the run in and take it as far as possible. If we go down, we go with a fight. 

This will all have been in vain as I plan my route to Rotherham. But sod it. We’ve nothing to lose. It’s been a mad season anyway! 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Nasty piece of work in callous post shocker. You are quite right, it is in poor taste. Even poorer taste that someone finds it funny.

absolute bellend in faux outrage, virtue signalling, posting about someone yet again that they claim to have on ignore. What a very odd individual.

I wonder if there is anyone - anyone at all - who is competent at their job at the club. Honourable exception to Lavia. Feels like an absolute shit show from top to bottom. Is the chief cancer Ankersen?

Just now, DT said:

I wonder if there is anyone - anyone at all - who is competent at their job at the club. Honourable exception to Lavia. Feels like an absolute shit show from top to bottom. Is the chief cancer Ankersen?

The shirts always seem clean when they come on the pitch so the kitman seems adequate. Even our once famously great pitch seems to have turned into Riverside Park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

And no drums.

1 hour ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Well AndrewSaintsfc on twitter has suggested we appoint Jose Fonte as the new manager, and I for one trust his judgement on such things.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

🛎️🔚

Him, not you

The above. I should probably mute him but his viewpoints are beyond comedic, then he gets defensive and borderline rude when anyone questions his thought process. 🤣

A bit like MLG, except MLG is tolerable. 
Andrew is just a bit delirious.

• Haha 1

I very much doubt we’ll get anyone else in on an interim basis before the end of the season. 
As I said before it would be another admission of SR’s incompetence at making another wrong decision.

Anyone that comes in I think comes in with a contract of at least a couple of years.

I think SR will HAVE TO pay out for someone half decent and not go for the cheap risky option.

I could see someone like Graham Potter coming if the finances are right and he has a say in transfers and is not dictated by Rasmus Ankersen.

Anyone will join the club if you pay them the right amount of money, and a manager of some sort of stature will also be key if they want to hold onto the more talented players (yes, I know there isn’t a lot).

On 19/04/2023 at 15:28, Chez said:

If you are struggling, like we have been for a few years, you need a managerial appointment to really excite the fanbase and players to reinvigorate the club and city. KK would do that. He might be able to find some positive momentum pretty quickly. Although Newcastle was/is without doubt his first, second and third love, there is still a connection there, and I think he'd still be a good summer appointment for us and one that might see us bounce straight back. I don't think we'll see him in management again though.

He’s been so much out of the limelight you have to wonder if he’s ok.

This morning’s Athletic article says Selles to go in the summer to be replaced by a coach rather than a manager. 
Personally I am old school and think a manager works better in domestic football. The players need guidance as well as coaching. Many still hold dear Poch’s abilities to man manage. 
Apparently we also considered Gerrard and Lampard post Jones which is a worry. 
This summer is going to tell us a lot as to the direction we will be going. Tanswell also anticipates Tella leaving. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

This morning’s Athletic article says Selles to go in the summer to be replaced by a coach rather than a manager. 
Personally I am old school and think a manager works better in domestic football. The players need guidance as well as coaching. Many still hold dear Poch’s abilities to man manage. 
This summer is going to tell us a lot as to the direction we will be going. Tanswell also anticipates Tella leaving. 

Think most on here could have speculated on both of those.

Agree with you regarding a manager as opposed to coach. The 'coach' title, in England anyway, seems to undermine the managers authority, which is probably appropriate for us and the way they see it running. Whoever is appointed will be answerable to Rasmus as the decision maker, more likely a puppet dancing to his tune. Poortvliet time again i suspect.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Christ, here we go. Hipster nobody incoming.

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

Christ, here we go. Hipster nobody incoming.

I suspect that even if Poch, or Potter picked up the phone and said, "look, for whatever reason... I'd like the job...", Rasmus W. would decline them as not 'fitting the model' or 'buying into our data driven ethos ...' which as everybody knows is the only way forward 

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Poch is the epitome of a coach. I hate to break it to you, but wherever he ends up next he'll be appointed as a head coach. Nobody is saying a "coach" won't be man managing the squad. "Sorry fella's, this isn't my remit, I'm merely a coach so can only talk body positions and formations,". 

It's a title and a way of working. Rather than worrying about external things they'll be focusing on the first team. It's nothing different to any of our previous managers but Jacob has fluffed it up a bit for his word count (in an article which is designed to rehash old stories and already known things as news). 

Just love the idea of Poch going for an interview for the job and daring to mention he might man manage the squad. "You what? How dare you. That's way above your station little coach, you won't be man managing anyone at this club, this is a strict coaching role only". 

The desperation on this forum to think the worst is really amazing.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 5

Didn't Bielsa want to change Everton 'root and branch' when they were looking for a Lampard replacement? I believe he was happy to go down on the basis that he would get rid of the dead wood and instead, build a young and hungry new squad ready to come back up in a season or two, thus rendering the team, overall improved, admittedly after relegation. This wasn't what Everton wanted to hear and so it went no further. For me, this sounds like a great plan. We are down anyway, Bielsa getting us playing aggressive and bright football whilst marching up the league sounds just the job. Bielsa wouldn't tolerate fidgeting and BS from Rasmus either so double whammy. 

• Like 4

We definitely need a new manager for next season, that is beyond discussion. The issue we will have is who to get & when they start work.

Potter would be my choice & a choice I don't think is that far fetched. He is available & would be desperate to prove himself again following his tenure at Chelsea, He's earnt a fortune there so wages wouldn't be astronomical. He works well with young players. The only issue is are there other teams in the premier league or those looking at getting promotion who would be looking to appoint a new manager who would prove to be a better option than us. 

Having the chance of doing a rebuilding job at Saints & bringing us back up would be a massive tick in the box for him & probably a route in to another Top 6 job. 

• Like 1

all this talk of having money when we go down, and managers like Potter baffles me (but maybe i am too cynical).

I'd expect:

1. Significant sales will be used to repay this year's wasted £140m transfer splurge & loss of prem TV income; 
  2. There will be no significant outlay on quality players to get us back up
  3. Probably more prem loans, and more signing youth players based on perceive resale value
  4. Some incompetent manager picked on some bonkers criteria like "most aggressive nonsense", or a useless ex-player (e.g. Gerrard)
  5. Persevering with obvious failures (Bazunu etc)
  6. Reliance on fringe players who are probably at their level (e.g. Stephens, A.Armstrong)

Overall, zero faith that the current decision-makers will have a clue what to do, and will continue to lurch from one poor decision to another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure we could convince Potter (money talks), but he doesn't offer the style of football we say we want. He's pragmatic and often defensive - not quite to Puel levels, but certainly not a fun style we'd all enjoy, win or lose. Just look at how Brighton changed after he left, and look at Chelsea's style since he took over. It's hardly something to get excited by.

I don't think we'll splash the cash for a manager anyway, if we had that mindset we would have thrown a longer contract at Marsch. We've tried appointing a young and upcoming Championship manager and that didn't work. I don't think Sports Republic care for names like Gerrard etc (those idiots would think they've got more footballing knowledge and pedigree anyway), so I think it'll be somebody from abroad and we'll all have to wait and see if they're any good in the Championship, and if they can make the step-up to the EPL.

• Like 1

Would have welcomed Potter if we were going to be in the Premier League next season. But he has no record of promotion in this country - just a 10th place with Swansea. Ok he did achieve multiple promotions in Sweden. I really think we need a manager who has got a team from the Championship into the Premier League, so Bielsa would be a good fit in that respect. Although a poor fit with everything else that has gone on at our club in the past few years, which makes him an even better fit.

15 hours ago, wadesmith said:

We’re probably the worlds only club that would welcome Frank Lampard.

got Derby to the play off final in his one season there, albeit they finished 6th and miles behind Leeds in 3rd.

He brought in young talent on loan from top Prem clubs, with Mount, Wilson and Tomori particularly successful. Sounds like that (bringing in young talent) will be are continued transfer philosophy next season. 

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I wonder what the difference is. Does the `coach' job title simply mean that he doesn't get a say or final vote on transfers/contract renewals...and maybe an excuse to pay a smaller wage?

I'd be interested to know what responsibilities the manager has now and what will be taken away. 

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Surely our new Director of Football would have the main say on our new coach?

Don’t want some vaping hipster with a wanky beard.

You don't fancy Gattuso? 

I wonder what would be considered a hipster managerial selection for us in the summer and what wouldn't?
When Swansea got Potter, wasn't he a bit left field and perhaps a `hipster' appointment? How about when we appointed Poch? How about Ralph or Jones?
Does the appointment have to be Colin Wanker to avoid that moniker?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExSholingSaint said:

We definitely need a new manager for next season, that is beyond discussion. The issue we will have is who to get & when they start work.

Potter would be my choice & a choice I don't think is that far fetched. He is available & would be desperate to prove himself again following his tenure at Chelsea, He's earnt a fortune there so wages wouldn't be astronomical. He works well with young players. The only issue is are there other teams in the premier league or those looking at getting promotion who would be looking to appoint a new manager who would prove to be a better option than us. 

Having the chance of doing a rebuilding job at Saints & bringing us back up would be a massive tick in the box for him & probably a route in to another Top 6 job. 

I'd of thought Potter was still worth a place on the `Prem manager merry go round'. We'd need to go for someone that has finally fallen off it, or perhaps has spent time on the bumper cars and now wants to run the waltzer. We'll probably end up with the guy that works on the coconut shy...sorry, I'm talking drivel.

• Haha 1