New Manager Thread v3

Dman

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Vieira didn’t do badly at Palace. He brought in a number of good players, arguably a spine in terms of three good CB’s (Guehi, Anderson and Richards) and attacking mids in Olise and Eze. 

Did he bring them in, or were they given to him? 

If they only signed for Palace because he was manager, or he somehow identified them when others weren’t so sure  , then you may have a point. If, however they’d have signed anyway, surely it’s about results with these good players and Roy appears to be doing better on that score. 

• Like 1

I do hope that the club make an approach of sorts to Potter to be the new manager for the foreseeable future,to hopefully galvanize and restructure and reset the mental mind set of the players and once again and start to make the team be confident and move on in a forward  footing.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

I do hope that the club make an approach of sorts to Potter to be the new manager for the foreseeable future,to hopefully galvanize and restructure and reset the mental mind set of the players and once again and start to make the team be confident and move on in a forward  footing.

He won t come in the champ

48 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

He won t come in the champ

He might, but he’d wait until all Premiership options have gone. Even then we might be in competition  with Leicester, Forest or whoever else come down. On top of which he might prefer a job abroad again.

Few would have expected Pardew to drop into L1. But whether we can make the job an attractive proposition is another matter altogether.

Edited by Badger

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Nobody needs to be told this. His contract literally expires at the end of the season.

When the club give player contract extensions without announcing anything, I would not have ruled out Selles already being signed on for next season.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Don’t rule anything out, we are innovate 

We lead in categories like virtue signaling. 

This year we highlighted gayness by bending over each week and taking it roughly up the jacksy. 

Next year a rainbow kit with our players pronouns on the front (not the back).

For years we've given opportunities to players with talent but we've redressed this balance. We've got talent-challenged players in most positions now.

I'm so proud.

Brave!

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Haha 1

It wouldn’t surprise me if Saints were going for someone along the lines of Potter.

Yes it’s ambitious given we’ll be a Championshio team but we’re not the worst proposal in the world.

I imagine it’ll come down to transfers, who’s buying the players, as it was plainly obvious at Chelsea that anyone foreign and under the age of sixteen was a transfer target.

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Saints were going for someone along the lines of Potter.

Yes it’s ambitious given we’ll be a Championshio team but we’re not the worst proposal in the world.

I imagine it’ll come down to transfers, who’s buying the players, as it was plainly obvious at Chelsea that anyone foreign and under the age of sixteen was a transfer target.

The Gary Glitter approach.

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Our buying is no worse than Chelsea so I’m not sure Potter would want to work under our owners that love a bloated squad.

Such a shame we dont have 3 keen, energetic youngsters ready to come off the bench these days rather than the usual crap we have brought on all season.

• Like 3

Potential new cluster fuck alert.

When does Wilcox start his new job June 1?

We need a manager in place by then surely as preseason will probably start around Jul 1st.

Whose going to lead the recruitment of the manager and also transfers, is Wilcox leading that ? Or are we at anskersen shit show season 2 ?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

We need a manager in place by then surely as preseason will probably start around Jul 1st.

Whose going to lead the recruitment of the manager and also transfers, is Wilcox leading that ? Or are we at anskersen shit show season 2 ?

It would be disturbing if we haven't been 'recruiting' for a manager for the past month, let alone waiting for another one before we bother to do anything.

• Like 4

I think Potter is much too logical a pick for this crowd. They will want an unknown that will follow their rules. I think we are in for more of the same…. Hoping not but fearing it. I also think Potter would hate working for them and being told the style of play. Jones was so desperate to get job they could have said anything to him and he would say yes… same with Selles. So we need to guess who is next in this amateur line. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This just isn’t true. He said no in the summer. 

Whilst I don’t agree that he was ‘desperate’ for the job, I do think there was a degree of now or never for him, when we appointed him. 

Had he turned the job down in November, when it was clear Ralph’s time was up, he could have missed the boat. I think in the summer it was a title different and he probably knew that Ralph would have been sacked at some point throughout the season. 

On 17/04/2023 at 22:02, Pilchards said:

What’s your thoughts about bringing in another manager as a last hope of survival?

Think the fans will like this temp gamble.

Anymore clarity on who this was at all?

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Rasmus only joined in recruitment because Joe Shields quit us 3 months after joining us.

Wilcox is definitely doing recruitment. I’ve heard he’s started unofficially already. I would not be surprised if we havnt already got a shortlist of managers and players. That includes those that are departing.

• Like 4

On 30/04/2023 at 12:41, AlexLaw76 said:

ITK or wishful thinking?

ITK although it doesn’t take a lot of working out. I reckon Selles will become a good manager eventually but it was all too much for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, manji said:

Rasmus only joined in recruitment because Joe Shields quit us 3 months after joining us.

Wilcox is definitely doing recruitment. I’ve heard he’s started unofficially already. I would not be surprised if we havnt already got a shortlist of managers and players. That includes those that are departing.

Yeah that was what I was hoping. 

City dont see us as a competitor anymore with our imminent relegation so let him start early as we are proper fucked if hans christen wankersen is in charge again.

• Like 1

Hopefully wilcox has looked at enough of our games, our players, checked the contracts and has an exit list as well as incoming.

Anyway I am always hopeful in pre-season as factually we havent been proven to be shit yet so there is a chance that for once we might not be.

• Like 1

Having looked in a bit more, I would be quite supportive of bringing in Kieran McKenna from Ipswich. When he took charge, they were a mess of a club in League One, recycling through three managers a season. Sound familiar? One year in charge and Ipswich have won promotion, would have won the league any other season and still can with one game to go, having only lost four league games all season, scoring 99 and conceding 33.

Now, you could say Ipswich is his first job as a manager, he's never managed in the Championship, could the step up be too far for him, like Nathan Jones' was for the Premier League. But, I would say Ipswich and Luton have different pressures. Luton were always the underdog and were always overachieving in their promotion to the Championship and then successful seasons in the Championship. Whereas, McKenna has met the expectations of Ipswich. Ipswich being more similar to Stoke. Additionally, he has worked within the youth team and coaching staff of Tottenham and Manchester United. Working with the egos that Jones never got the grasp of as well as learning off Pochettino and Mourinho, which again Jones was never given the opportunity to do.

Then, bringing me onto my next point. Having worked in the youth teams of these clubs, you would imagine McKenna knows how to develop and bring through young talent. Fits the club's ethos and this isn't wholly about Sports Republic's fetish of signing youngsters, but also developing and bringing in our own current talents from the B team, something we've been ignoring in recent years.

Lastly from his Wikipedia page, it says this: "Following McKenna’s arrival as Manchester United's under-18s manager, Indy Boonen, who was a teenage player for United at the time, praised McKenna by stating, "He changed everything. The way we trained was how the opponent played on the Saturday. If you played against West Brom, you trained how they are and focused on their weaknesses."

A manager who sets up a team to exploit the opposition's weakness. Revolutionary! Just from Thursday night we were all saying and it was known Bournemouth's weakness was in the air. So, we played short corners and our six foot eight striker was nowhere to be seen. Scrap the playbook rubbish. It worked for a bit getting us to the top of the league and then funnily enough, other clubs worked out it's weaknesses and have been beating us ever since, Hasenhuttl remained loyal to it, Jones played his "front footed and aggressive" mess every game and Selles plays Mr. Conservative. It would be nice to set up a team to exploit the oppositions weakness and look comfortable again.

This appointment would of course make too much sense. So, scrap all this.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, manji said:

thank you for this positivity, it has made my day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Having looked in a bit more, I would be quite supportive of bringing in Kieran McKenna from Ipswich. When he took charge, they were a mess of a club in League One, recycling through three managers a season. Sound familiar? One year in charge and Ipswich have won promotion, would have won the league any other season and still can with one game to go, having only lost four league games all season, scoring 99 and conceding 33.

Now, you could say Ipswich is his first job as a manager, he's never managed in the Championship, could the step up be too far for him, like Nathan Jones' was for the Premier League. But, I would say Ipswich and Luton have different pressures. Luton were always the underdog and were always overachieving in their promotion to the Championship and then successful seasons in the Championship. Whereas, McKenna has met the expectations of Ipswich. Ipswich being more similar to Stoke. Additionally, he has worked within the youth team and coaching staff of Tottenham and Manchester United. Working with the egos that Jones never got the grasp of as well as learning off Pochettino and Mourinho, which again Jones was never given the opportunity to do.

Then, bringing me onto my next point. Having worked in the youth teams of these clubs, you would imagine McKenna knows how to develop and bring through young talent. Fits the club's ethos and this isn't wholly about Sports Republic's fetish of signing youngsters, but also developing and bringing in our own current talents from the B team, something we've been ignoring in recent years.

Lastly from his Wikipedia page, it says this: "Following McKenna’s arrival as Manchester United's under-18s manager, Indy Boonen, who was a teenage player for United at the time, praised McKenna by stating, "He changed everything. The way we trained was how the opponent played on the Saturday. If you played against West Brom, you trained how they are and focused on their weaknesses."

A manager who sets up a team to exploit the opposition's weakness. Revolutionary! Just from Thursday night we were all saying and it was known Bournemouth's weakness was in the air. So, we played short corners and our six foot eight striker was nowhere to be seen. Scrap the playbook rubbish. It worked for a bit getting us to the top of the league and then funnily enough, other clubs worked out it's weaknesses and have been beating us ever since, Hasenhuttl remained loyal to it, Jones played his "front footed and aggressive" mess every game and Selles plays Mr. Conservative. It would be nice to set up a team to exploit the oppositions weakness and look comfortable again.

This appointment would of course make too much sense. So, scrap all this.

Yeah I said it a a couple of months ago, I'd be more than happy if we appointed McKenna. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yeah I said it a a couple of months ago, I'd be more than happy if we appointed McKenna. 

Not totally convinced, but HarvSFC gives a decent write up, and makes a good case.

Big question though, why would he come to us from  Ipswich ? Probably similar size club, they're on a bit of an upward trajectory with some momentum behind them (as we were after L1). They've also probably got a more stable ownership, and no Rasmus to get on his tits with spreadsheets.

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Not totally convinced, but HarvSFC gives a decent write up, and makes a good case.

Big question though, why would he come to us from  Ipswich ? Probably similar size club, they're on a bit of an upward trajectory with some momentum behind them (as we were after L1). They've also probably got a more stable ownership, and no Rasmus to get on his tits with spreadsheets.

Money, probably. Ipswich have a 22 year transfer record - Matteo Sereni in 2001 for £4.75m. They don't spend a lot. Made a couple of £1m+ signings last summer and in January with Leif Davis and Nathan Broadhead, but their squad has been built on a tight budget. One thing and it is probably the only thing SR can't be criticised for is their spending, which we know does most of the talking in football.

They also have a 26 goal ex-Skate in Conor Chaplin who might do alright here.

Edit: Alex Neil made a similar move from Sunderland to Stoke last season after Sunderland's promotion.

Edited by HarvSFC

33 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Money, probably. Ipswich have a 22 year transfer record - Matteo Sereni in 2001 for £4.75m. They don't spend a lot. Made a couple of £1m+ signings last summer and in January with Leif Davis and Nathan Broadhead, but their squad has been built on a tight budget. One thing and it is probably the only thing SR can't be criticised for is their spending, which we know does most of the talking in football.

They also have a 26 goal ex-Skate in Conor Chaplin who might do alright here.

Edit: Alex Neil made a similar move from Sunderland to Stoke last season after Sunderland's promotion.

Tight budget? not for League 1 standards.

If tight budget / success is what you are after, what about the boss sat top of League 1, in what is his first full season as a manager?

They pay peanuts, even compared to Ipswich.

Edited by AlexLaw76

19 hours ago, Pilchards said:

He never gave me a name, sorry.

Pissed off it never happened personally as we could have got out of this mess.

That’s the sad thing, this was actually really avoidable given how poor everyone else is. The one season where it seems almost impossible to go down, we’ve done it… at a canter. 

Jones was a cluster fuck, but credit to the board, they made a change with enough time to turn it around. Selles was never going to be the right man to do that though, ridiculous decision, it was obvious we needed a firefighter type. 

That being said, had we not dropped this year, I’m almost certain we would have next year. Relegation in a weird way is what we need for a re-set, it’s been a long time coming. 

14 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Tight budget? not for League 1 standards.

If tight budget / success is what you are after, what about the boss sat top of League 1, in what is his first full season as a manager?

They pay peanuts, even compared to Ipswich.

How about we just avoid anyone from L1….

It’s not the time for risks. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

I'm leaning towards us going down the "high profile ex-player" route.... so, the likes of Rooney or Vieira. 

We need a manager that'll command respect from the dressing room as well as being able to attract and retain decent players, and the best way of ticking those boxes (IMO) will be to get a world class ex-player on board.

Another relatively unknown manager from the lower leagues and/or a foreign league won't cut it for me.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

I think Vieira is quite likely.

I'm definitely worried about his credentials though, given Palace's immediate upheaval in form when Roy returned who according to their fans "just made a few obvious changes" to get the best out of their players again.

I'd take it over the other crop of managers from that playing era though.