New Manager Thread v3

Dman

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I still don't understand what anyone saw in Jones? If I could attend 4-6 Luton games a season with friends and family and see that the bloke was a complete Charlatan then how did the so called professionals not spot this?

Jones had great back room staff. As for him, he just shouted a lot and kissed and thumped the badge on his top. 

I've never saw him do anything that changed a game. 

Wasn't he supposed to bring them with him, or did he bring the wrong ones ?

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Fat Sam grand slam at Leeds and not us then. Thats another one off the list. I would say thankfully, however he's somehow still better than what we have.

He'll keep them up and all our deluded fans of Barcelona tippy tap will be crying into their oat lattes. We should have bitten the bullet and went for old school him or Dyche to tighten up the defence and nick wins eons ago. But Rasmus and his little Sinclair Spectrum know better. Fucking cretins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, DT said:

He'll keep them up and all our deluded fans of Barcelona tippy tap will be crying into their oat lattes. We should have bitten the bullet and went for old school him or Dyche to tighten up the defence and nick wins eons ago. But Rasmus and his little Sinclair Spectrum know better. Fucking cretins.

To make matters worse they've has two attempts to rectify it, and failed with both.

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I still don't understand what anyone saw in Jones? If I could attend 4-6 Luton games a season with friends and family and see that the bloke was a complete Charlatan then how did the so called professionals not spot this?

Jones had great back room staff. As for him, he just shouted a lot and kissed and thumped the badge on his top. 

Maybe they considered more than just the 4-6 games a season that you attended?

Edited by Fabrice29

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

Thoughts on Will Still (if he hasn't been discussed already)?  Relatively inexperienced but a great record so far.  I'd be keen to see him here

Out of interest, why? I'm not saying it's not a good idea but on the basis that he's unlikely to match his record at Reims then what else is it about him that you think would be good for us?

On one hand, the new owners managerial decisions to date have been disastrous (that’s being kind) and that gives you very little hope they can find the right guy. If we are competing against Leeds and Everton for example, it’s going to be even harder than usual to get out of the Championship too.

On the other hand, we are likely to sell £150m+ worth of talent. All to clubs that will be in PL or equivalent you’d think. Some of the recruitment (mainly Lavia and ABK) were really good finds. Others I’d expect will be much more impactful at the championship level (Edozie and Sulemana should be very dangerous). It could be that at the Championship level we could have a lot more success with player recruitment.

I’m holding out hope that should the sales be fully available then it’s an exciting challenge for a new manager to build a team in his image. 

• Like 1

The first thing from my perspective is appoint a manager before the transfer window opens. No more inexperienced theorists, ego driven bible thumpers or foreign managers employed outside the UK. Secondly a big picture thinker with a proven track record. Thirdly a manager that has proved he can turn out well balanced teams that perform consistently in attack and defence and sees playing out from the back as Guardiola's preserve. Most importantly no more sideways and backwards which has destroyed us. 

Let him look at the available 2023/24 squad and decide who he wants to keep, who he doesn't want and who he wants to sell to raise the capital to buy in a core strength to get us promoted automatically.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, derry said:

The first thing from my perspective is appoint a manager before the transfer window opens. No more inexperienced theorists, ego driven bible thumpers or foreign managers employed outside the UK. Secondly a big picture thinker with a proven track record. Thirdly a manager that has proved he can turn out well balanced teams that perform consistently in attack and defence and sees playing out from the back as Guardiola's preserve. Most importantly no more sideways and backwards which has destroyed us. 

Let him look at the available 2023/24 squad and decide who he wants to keep, who he doesn't want and who he wants to sell to raise the capital to buy in a core strength to get us promoted automatically.

I'll fetch the DeLorean... and set the dial at George Graham, or does he count as foreign?  This isn't going to be easy..

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, derry said:

I agree we need a new manager before the transfer window but would also suggest our more successful appointments in recent times have been managers from overseas - Poch (no, not that one), Koeman & Ralph were pretty inspired choices. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

For me it's the rollneck that really makes a Southampton manager.  Just not the same without one.

Selles has shown that cliches like tracksuit managers are a thing of the past. He brings versatility while still providing consistency; a potent combination. Whether it's long coat, tracksuit, jacket or suit, Selles manages to deliver defeat.

I will be disapointed if our future manager does not utilise an extensive wardrobe on the touchline. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Yeah, because Dyche is doing a brill job at Everton tightening up their defence and nicking wins... 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Out of interest, why? I'm not saying it's not a good idea but on the basis that he's unlikely to match his record at Reims then what else is it about him that you think would be good for us?

I didn't post my opinion thinking I'd have to justify it 😂 

If you read about his record so far he's overachieved at each club, and he reminds me of Potter a bit in that regard, whom we all would love here now.  Generally though I prefer to appoint up and coming managers rather than those that have been around the block a few times, albeit that's obviously not worked out great this season!!

2 hours ago, DT said:

I couldn't give a shit if he keeps them up or not, I would never want him near our club. 

I would rather get relegated and have some ignorant optimism that things will improve, than have to sit behind that on our touchline. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Did he or did he not win the championship manager of the year last season? Not the most significant accolade but clearly was recognised within the game for achieving something 

3 hours ago, DT said:

Like he famously kept West Brom up in the only job he's had in 5 years of semi retirement?

Not sure the raw materials of an Allardyce side is there at Leeds. They can't defend for shit, the midfield is quite lightweight, and there's no-one up front to lump the ball long to - Bamford isn't particularly good in the air or strong.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

This certainly worries me.

Wilder was interviewed for the Saints job when Jones got it, so he’s definitely on our radar. I wouldn’t be overly enthused by his appointment, personally, but maybe we’re gonna have to lower our expectations at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

I didn't post my opinion thinking I'd have to justify it 😂 

If you read about his record so far he's overachieved at each club, and he reminds me of Potter a bit in that regard, whom we all would love here now.  Generally though I prefer to appoint up and coming managers rather than those that have been around the block a few times, albeit that's obviously not worked out great this season!!

I agree about appointing up and coming managers fwiw, but regarding Still, his record won't last and results can be misleading when the amount of time is so small (his first two manager jobs were caretaker roles and incredibly short). So his day to day work, improvement of players and style of play will be the reason for appointing him and I'm unaware of the finer details of that so was wondering if you had insight into those. 

3 hours ago, derry said:

This is the important bit. We need a decent manager and need to actually let him manage.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Wilder was interviewed for the Saints job when Jones got it, so he’s definitely on our radar. I wouldn’t be overly enthused by his appointment, personally, but maybe we’re gonna have to lower our expectations at some point.

I would be pissed off if he got it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DT said:

Sinclair Spectrum - Fucking cretins 🤣

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think Big Sam will keep Leeds up.

One hell, of a risk either way. I’ll either be a strike of genius or hilarity.

Whats the risk. If he keeps them up then great. If they go down then thanks for trying but it wasnt your fault. Either way they can pay Big Sam off and look for a new manager. The hilarity would be keeping Gracia who was taking them down anyways.

Its sheer desperation, but its clear they want to retain the PL status at all costs

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Whats the risk. If he keeps them up then great. If they go down then thanks for trying but it wasnt your fault. Either way they can pay Big Sam off and look for a new manager. The hilarity would be keeping Gracia who was taking them down anyways.

Its sheer desperation, but its clear they want to retain the PL status at all costs

Given how bad Leeds have been of late it is rather telling we made them look like world beaters at Elland road. We were absolutely pathetic. It was a 1-0 hammering in truth. We never laid a glove on them.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

What makes a 'Southampton' manager out of interest? Is it someone who has once played for us?

For starters he would not want to be here. He is a big time Charlie or so he thinks. He is not the sort of character that would do well at a club like this. I just cannot explain, but I know what I am trying to say. Mark my words, if he gets the job, he will fail here. Some times managers are suited to clubs. Sometimes they just aren't. I just hope it isn't going to be him. It won't work.

I'm going to eat my words probably BUT I think they *will* get this next managerial appointment right - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how badly they've got all the big calls wrong since coming in. Tried to be too clever, tried to cut corners perhaps but ultimately it doesn't matter the reasons for any of it, the point is, they fucked it and big time. The cost of relegation is massive but could be mitigated with an early promotion back to the PL in a season or two. For that reason alone and with Dragan's money on the line I think they will be sensible and get a proven name in the dugout. I think they'll try everything to get the likes of Potter - huge promotion bonuses etc. For them, PR is everything right now - if they can lure a proven PL manager to the Championship on the promise of what's to come then it'll only help in keeping some potentially wantaway players / unsure incoming targets. 

Or am I talking bollocks? Are they going to try and "lure" Paul Jewell out of retirement? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Fuck me, I assumed Jones was just us trying to be smart. If this is true, our standards really were fucking low. 

Fwiw I think Wolder is a decent championship manager. Not one for long term though. 

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Fuck me, I assumed Jones was just us trying to be smart. If this is true, our standards really were fucking low. 

Fwiw I think Wolder is a decent championship manager. Not one for long term though. 

He was my mates best man at his wedding, he wasn’t interviewed when Jones got the job. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Wilder didn’t get things going at Middlesbrough and was sacked, and looks like getting the boot from Watford.

I know you could say Watford is a ‘basket case’ and all managers have a short shelf life there, but didn’t people say the same about Stoke and Jones ?

All in all, I think Wilder might be one to avoid.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wilder didn’t get things going at Middlesbrough and was sacked, and looks like getting the boot from Watford.

I know you could say Watford is a ‘basket case’ and all managers have a short shelf life there, but didn’t people say the same about Stoke and Jones ?

All in all, I think Wilder might be one to avoid.

Agreed. Wilder would do well for a Wigan for example. 

2 hours ago, St Louis said:

I have a very strong hunch (and it's only that) that Selles will be our manager for the start of next season.

Surely not even Rasmus' pet algorithm would be THAT stupid. Would be another relegation struggle. Need to hand the club over to Potter to build a new structure. If he'd come. Which I doubt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Surely not even Rasmus' pet algorithm would be THAT stupid. Would be another relegation struggle. Need to hand the club over to Potter to build a new structure. If he'd come. Which I doubt.

No reason why not, he was a failure in his last job and he's shown that he'll jump at the first sign of a slightly bigger job. I can't see many PL teams taking a chance on him.

20 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Given how bad Leeds have been of late it is rather telling we made them look like world beaters at Elland road. We were absolutely pathetic. It was a 1-0 hammering in truth. We never laid a glove on them.

And so begineth the Selles reign. Leeds have been brave, if we’d have been braver instead of bottlers maybe we’d have been in with a shout of staying up. Selles can’t go soon enough for me. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Assume wilcox is finding this manager so doesnt matter who is on rasmus radar thank god and anyway he's probably lost his credibility with dragan after Jones so will be eating humble pie for a bit.

You are spot on.

• Like 2