New Manager Thread v3

Dman

6 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Are you genuinely asking how Viera is different to Lampard or Rooney?

6 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Yes. They've all had good spells but plenty of failures too and are living off their reputations as players 

Vieira seems to have been given a bit of a charmed life and easy ride on here, yet his record isn't any better than Lampard or Gerrard in truth, all trading on their playing reputations.

The stand out point re Vieira is probably the Man City connection . As the club has had a bit of a fixation over this in recent years might put him ahead of the other two and some of the others mentioned.

• Like 2

I really don’t think we should carry on trying to be a version of Man City.

Pep pushes a full-back forward into CM, Selles played AMN left back to do the same thing.  Before Haaland, Pep would play without a striker, Selles plays without a striker.  If Pep played the tea lady on the wing, Selles would do the same thing.

We pay shitloads of money on not one, but two young keepers from Man City, neither are anywhere near good enough E for the Premier League.

Our fixation with Man City, Lavia excepted and possibly Edozi, has largely been a fucking disaster.

• Like 6

I agree with the above if we try and replicate the same approach next season. At least limit the incoming of potential youth talent to say 3 players and the rest of the signings have to have some sort of experience to lead / mentor... 

11 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I agree with the above if we try and replicate the same approach next season. At least limit the incoming of potential youth talent to say 3 players and the rest of the signings have to have some sort of experience to lead / mentor... 

If DCC, AMN, Orsic and Aribo are the quality of experienced players we are going to sign, perhaps don't bother. Stick to signing youth talent. At least one or two of those have been good.

• Like 3

I noticed that hasn't been too many European type managers put forward for this outside the usual suspects.

I know he will probably end up in the premier League but arne slot has worked wonders both at feyenoord and az working mainly with younger players as well.

Leeds were sniffing around in Jan, feyenoord about to with the eredevise on Sunday so wouldn't surprise me to see him stay for champs League but guess he could opt to leave on a high for mega bucks in UK, done well in Europa cup as wel.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up

Edit - just checked and they seem to expect him to leave this summer with Frankfurt mentioned who also have our pal in RB Salzburg on their list as well.

Edited by Convict Colony

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I noticed that hasn't been too many European type managers put forward for this outside the usual suspects.

I know he will probably end up in the premier League but arne slot has worked wonders both at feyenoord and az working mainly with younger players as well.

Leeds were sniffing around in Jan, feyenoord about to with the eredevise on Sunday so wouldn't surprise me to see him stay for champs League but guess he could opt to leave on a high for mega bucks in UK, done well in Europa cup as wel.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up

Edit - just checked and they seem to expect him to leave this summer with Frankfurt mentioned who also have our pal in RB Salzburg on their list as well.

Well there is always his no2 who took over from Slot, Pascal Jansen. He wants to come over to England at some point. Probably too early in his managerial career, but one to watch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Andrew is on the delusion pills again on Twitter.🤦🏻‍♂️

You should see MLGs unchecked arguments about why Potter will come to saints and why we are attractive and won't lose many players... If nothing else, its entertaining watching lots of people engaging MLG in what they think will be an open and fair debate on twitter (before ultimately losing their rag) 😄

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chez said:

If DCC, AMN, Orsic and Aribo are the quality of experienced players we are going to sign, perhaps don't bother. Stick to signing youth talent. At least one or two of those have been good.

I thought the youth policy made sense in the Premier League but we're now a big fish in a small pond so perhaps the equation had changed a little

51 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

You should see MLGs unchecked arguments about why Potter will come to saints and why we are attractive and won't lose many players... If nothing else, its entertaining watching lots of people engaging MLG in what they think will be an open and fair debate on twitter (before ultimately losing their rag) 😄

He's at his very best when he takes on Portsmouth fans, but that's low-hanging fruit for him

8 minutes ago, Themotherfunky said:

Did Bruno Lage get sounded out by the fans?

Played a 442 at Benfica, 343/523 with Wolves, decent defensively.

Hampered at Benfica by not being backed money wise, hampered at Wolves by not having a reliable striker.

Hampered at Saints for being at Saints.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’d die on a hill for this unpopular opinion 

I know we’ve left the EU and all that, but does being English no longer make you European..

• Haha 5

Our previous ex-Academy talents all found life hard with top clubs after their big money moves, in part because they "looked good " 

in our set-up when backed by experienced players who knew their way around.  Neither Walcott, Bale , or Ox  walked into their new

club's start sides,  and Luke Shaw had a nightmare at Man U, when he discovered he was expected to put in a shift without the 

support and encouragement he'd known previously from Jose Fonte & Co.  

I agree that our future at the lower level is a great chance for our young talents to show up, but that should be tempered with the 

reminder of Lawrie McMenemy's famous phrase...." young legs, old heads " .        You don't win things with " kids ".

We need the introduction of a  few experienced " hard men " who know their way in the Championship,  but who don't necessarily  

have a Premier career in front of them in a year or twos time.   One hard man at CB, and a striker who has a good record at that level.

In the pre-Prem. return period (2009 -2012), we had 3 or 4  v. good players who DAJFU (and more) but were never going to be proper

Prem. standard,  but nevertheless they supported our young talents in their early careers. 

After the summer clear-out that will inevitably come, we need a few "old heads"  to support our most promising lads for the first year or two. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’d die on a hill for this unpopular opinion 

And I thought the Saints feed on twitter 10 years ago was bad enough. 

Might be unpopular opinion and I'd die on a hill for saying this but bring back Connor Armstrong to the Saintsfc twitter stream

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Our previous ex-Academy talents all found life hard with top clubs after their big money moves, in part because they "looked good " 

in our set-up when backed by experienced players who knew their way around.  Neither Walcott, Bale , or Ox  walked into their new

club's start sides,  and Luke Shaw had a nightmare at Man U, when he discovered he was expected to put in a shift without the 

support and encouragement he'd known previously from Jose Fonte & Co.  

I agree that our future at the lower level is a great chance for our young talents to show up, but that should be tempered with the 

reminder of Lawrie McMenemy's famous phrase...." young legs, old heads " .        You don't win things with " kids ".

We need the introduction of a  few experienced " hard men " who know their way in the Championship,  but who don't necessarily  

have a Premier career in front of them in a year or twos time.   One hard man at CB, and a striker who has a good record at that level.

In the pre-Prem. return period (2009 -2012), we had 3 or 4  v. good players who DAJFU (and more) but were never going to be proper

Prem. standard,  but nevertheless they supported our young talents in their early careers. 

After the summer clear-out that will inevitably come, we need a few "old heads"  to support our most promising lads for the first year or two. 

It's all very well recruiting players that know what it takes to do well in the Championship but surely the plan must be to build a squad that can return us to the PL and stay there. The sort of players you have in mind will not be able to compete at the higher level so we'd end up back where we started. Futile.

Come on someone must know something etc, anyone been hanging around the danish kingdom of legoland, whose our private jet spotter, whose been assigned real estate watch for this year  and is pilchards still climbing trees ?

Aside from all that has wilcox been spotted down here yet as well ?

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Come on someone must know something etc, anyone been hanging around the danish kingdom of legoland, whose our private jet spotter, whose been assigned real estate watch for this year  and is pilchards still climbing trees ?

Aside from all that has wilcox been spotted down here yet as well ?

It is quiet on the rumours front. Didn't someone post a week or so ago that we have someone lined up who we will formally approach when relegation is confirmed (or at end of season - can't recall).

The lack of links makes me wonder if it is a done deal aready.

• Like 1

Gerrard is the 5/1 favourite currently according to a number of outlets. If this is true and I sincerely hope it isn’t, it won’t be so much as SR shooting themselves in the foot, more of taking a rocket launcher to it and blowing it off. 😡😳

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Gerrard is the 5/1 favourite currently according to a number of outlets. If this is true and I sincerely hope it isn’t, it won’t be so much as SR shooting themselves in the foot, more of taking a rocket launcher to it and blowing it off. 😡😳

did well at Rangers

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I heard Jesse Marsch is still 100% in the frame about a couple of weeks back but I think I was too angry at the time to bother posting it.

wouldn't mind Marsch tbh

Yeah i wouldn't say no to him, could have done done a lot worse.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I heard Jesse Marsch is still 100% in the frame about a couple of weeks back but I think I was too angry at the time to bother posting it.

wouldn't mind Marsch tbh

I'd be happy with this, and it'd definitely make some sense from his perspective if he pretty fairly assumed we were doomed this year.

56 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

wouldn't mind Marsch tbh

How the hell does big Paul fit into this?

Our big daft gangly expensive striker?

15 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Bit of a wild one, but how about James Milner as player manager? spacer.png

Bring Lallana back home, he knows the club and can teach our attacking midfielders how to create chances, bring Beattie back as head coach to show the strikers how to finish. Fonte back as player defensive coach and Nigel Quasie for diversity.

• Haha 2

Hear me out i have just had a beer and had a crazy thought.

What if the club keep selles ?

He came in and tried to implement a style that had worked previously rather than his own style as we didnt have time and correctly identified we cant defend being the biggest issue but couldnt stop the flood.

What if the club get rid of all the players he wants and buys players to suit his system he wants to implement. 

He has a full pre-season with those players, club loves managers who've lost, he gets more experience in the championship away from the bright lights.

I think i would back him initially if that happened, no one is a guarantee in the championship so maybe the better the devil you know (intially)

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He came in and tried to implement a style that had worked previously rather than his own style as we didnt have time and correctly identified we cant defend being the biggest issue but couldnt stop the flood.

What if the club get rid of all the players he wants and buys players to suit his system he wants to implement. 

He has a full pre-season with those players, club loves managers who've lost, he gets more experience in the championship away from the bright lights.

I think i would back him initially if that happened, no one is a guarantee in the championship so maybe the better the devil you know (intially)

have another beer mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

wouldn't mind Marsch tbh

Wouldn’t want him.  He wasn’t interested in January, so fuck him.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

wouldn't mind Marsch tbh

I'd be happy with him. It's understandable that he said no to us it's true that we offered a contract with the less time than the balance of his Leeds contact. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wouldn’t want him.  He wasn’t interested in January, so fuck him.

He wanted to come but was insulted with the by the end of this season contract which he interpreted as we would give him a shot to see if he’s any good. Don’t forget he is American.

Clearly he thought if Saints wanted him they would immediately offer him a decent contract. I think he would be a good fit.

The restructure of our board and the promised continued financial backing would make us appealing. That would also go for any good manager who fans might think might not go in the championship. 
yes we have fucked up on occasion but there’s a lot going for Southampton. Still talk of new/revamped new stadium and despite some whingers a big fan base.

Yet again Rasmus is not in charge of any recruitment from now.

55 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Get where your coming from but we need a clean sweep.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

He wanted to come but was insulted with the by the end of this season contract which he interpreted as we would give him a shot to see if he’s any good. Don’t forget he is American.

Clearly he thought if Saints wanted him they would immediately offer him a decent contract. I think he would be a good fit.

The restructure of our board and the promised continued financial backing would make us appealing. That would also go for any good manager who fans might think might not go in the championship. 
yes we have fucked up on occasion but there’s a lot going for Southampton. Still talk of new/revamped new stadium and despite some whingers a big fan base.

Yet again Rasmus is not in charge of any recruitment from now.

Please get off your knees.

Sports Republic have been an absolute disaster. 

To even mention revamped/new stadium, as we have been hilariously relegated, is mental

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Bring Lallana back home, he knows the club and can teach our attacking midfielders how to create chances, bring Beattie back as head coach to show the strikers how to finish. Fonte back as player defensive coach and Nigel Quasie for diversity.

I thought you were going to say "...and Quasie to show those wanting a move how to stand around on the half way line, with hands on hips, not giving a fuck and contemplating life at WBA as your opponent scores." 

• Like 2