New Manager Thread v3

Dman

Let's look at experience of getting promotion in the previous 3 Championship seasons the managers have been.

Marco Silva - still at Fulham

Scott Parker - available (2 promotions in 3 Championship seasons with Fulham & Bournemouth) 

Steve Cooper - still at Forest

Daniel Farke - manager of Borussia  Monchengladbach 

Xisco Munoz - available 

Thomas Frank - still at Brentford

Marcelo Bielsa - manager of Uruguay

Slaven Bilic - available 

So potentially 3 of 8 attainable but would we want any? Scott Parker has been ridiculed by some on here yet 2 promotions in 3 years would seem to say he knows how to get out of Championship.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

So potentially 3 of 8 attainable but would we want any? Scott Parker has been ridiculed by some on here yet 2 promotions in 3 years would seem to say he knows how to get out of Championship.

Would satisfy the nice knitwear criteria as well. 

Of the other names you mention, hasn’t Bilic failed spectacularly a couple of times since?

Cooper was linked due to ties with Crocker. He comes across as more of a training ground coach/manager than  football spreadsheet so might not fit in with our revolutionary way of changing the game.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

Bilic could be OK. Who knows, maybe Orsic would stay after all

Anyway it won't be any of that. We all know we're gonna try and do it 'The Southampton Way' and be too arrogant for our own good. Fortunately, our considerable spending power compared to our rivals may see us scrape 6th like we did under Burley.

Personally one of the biggest obstacles we face early on for acceptance of our new manager is that if Sports Republic think he is the best man for the job then he probably isn't because Sports Republic are effing hopeless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Personally one of the biggest obstacles we face early on for acceptance of our new manager is that if Sports Republic think he is the best man for the job then he probably isn't because Sports Republic are effing hopeless.

Define acceptance. Acceptance is a nothing word. Acceptance of what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

13 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Bilic could be OK. Who knows, maybe Orsic would stay after all

It’s a no from me then. Why on earth would we want him to stay, he can’t get anywhere near one of the worst premier league sides ever. A side where Moi, Walcott & Adam Armstrong get game time. 

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

They're not three different responses, they are pretty much identical.

The first response doesn't say "managing in thr Premier League" specifically, it talks about scale of club. For someone desperate to hammer people on specific word use it is strange you have ignored that.

Those three answers are not different, they are saying the same thing.

Selles has managed a PL scale club but he's not delivered any success and doesn't inspire anyone, but they are definitely all the same thing.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Selles has managed a PL scale club but he's not delivered any success and doesn't inspire anyone, but they are definitely all the same thing.

You're being a bit of a bore here. It's quite clear what everyone means by experience, it has been spelt out to you and on previous posts, so stop trying to be clever as you're tripping yourself up.

• Like 8

Random thoughts …

I don’t want Rafa. I’ve spent 6 years being thoroughly depressed at St Mary’s and am not even remotely enthused by the prospect of his football. I doubt he’d want the gig either.

I do want Potter, I think he’d be a great fit. I think he’ll have better offers.

I would quite like Cooper if Forest are nuts enough to get rid. I’m not sure he’s an SR type appointment.

I wouldn’t mind Vieira and can see that happening with the Wilcox link.

I don’t fancy Rodgers - think he’s a good coach with good football but also just thoroughly dislike the arrogant pr1ck

I think Gerrard is a bad idea - without his number 2 he’s clueless.

I don’t want Rooney - appearance and intellect of a baboon.

Id rather not go for a hipster barista type appointment like Martin or Schumacher because I’m already scared sh1tless enough by SR without them trying to do something hip and radical with the managerial appointment for a third time (fourth of you include keeping Ralph but changing all his coaches). I am aware we could, however, unearth the next Jurgen Klopp doing this. I don’t fancy the risk.

And finally, above all else, at the fifth transfer window of asking, I’d like us to sign a vaguely competent striker.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Honestly I don't even think you know what you're on about now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're being a bit of a bore here. It's quite clear what everyone means by experience, it has been spelt out to you and on previous posts, so stop trying to be clever as you're tripping yourself up.

Is it clear? I’ve asked whether Schumachers promotion from League One is relevant experience? Nobody has answered. I’ve asked if Martins experience of the Championship is acceptable? Nobody has answered. I’ve asked if Pochettino had the relevant experience when we got him? Nobody answered. I’ve asked whether Viera and Gerrard are considered experienced enough and if so, why their experiences are more relevant than others and nobody has answered. 

I’m sorry for wondering what experience people want and highlighting that people have different definitions of the experience they want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Fucking hell, this Fabrice fella makes MLG look interesting.

Similarities for sure. I was with him on his initial question. He's been like a happy dog with a bone since. 

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Keep going. You're absolutely smashing it on this thread 👏 🙌 👌 

Says person who has tried convincing everyone that ‘managing a PL scale club’ is inspiring. 

I really hope you don’t work in recruitment.

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If the Athletic article is correct, the cunning plan for next season is to carry on trying to emulate the Man City ethos, keeping possession, building play and winning - except with players that can actually do that.  It also suggests Selles won't be going anywhere.  Good times!

I didn’t get that suggestion about Selles at all, every article I’ve read says he’ll be out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trousers said:

Given today's reports of players pitching up late for training/meetings, forming cliques, etc, the new manager needs to be a no nonsense disciplinarian. Dare I say it, someone in the same mold as Dyche....?

Yeah he’s done well 🙄

27 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If the Athletic article is correct, the cunning plan for next season is to carry on trying to emulate the Man City ethos, keeping possession, building play and winning - except with players that can actually do that.  It also suggests Selles won't be going anywhere.  Good times!

All signs point to Vieira incoming 

The situation is very similar to 09 when Markus/Cortese saw the need for a manager that could instantly give the club, fans and incoming players the stability and direction they would have needed. 

Pardew did a great job at that (and no, I’m not calling for him) and is something we’re going to need again because we’re going to have a reasonably high turnover of players and only 2 or so months to get everyone pointing in the right direction. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Steve Cooper is number 1 on my very short list. I don't think he stays at Forest next season no matter what happens with them, I think we should be all over that.

Viera/Henry combo at 2nd - So much experience as players, they've experienced all personalities, they know the standards, they're strong enough to manage change and implement their views. They won't be yes men.

Rafa - old school, but knows what he's doing. Might not totally fit with a long-term view though, which is my only question mark. But he certainly knows football at the highest level to help navigate us through choppy waters.

Marsch - Still on my list but my last choice, has experience at the top level, has a style that potentially suits. Positive character etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing young mangers because I think they'll be another Jones, it's just that we can't underestimate how big a job this is. It needs someone strong at the head of it, not someone else learning on the job.

Agree with Cooper, he’d be my first choice and a possibility even if Forest stay up, they’re the sort of bat sh*t mental club that would sack him. Experience of promotion and knows the Championship well. Might not want to drop back down though.

Vieira - don’t think he’s that great, nothing stand out in his managerial career and ended poorly at Palace. Fans I know said the football was crap by the time he was sacked. No experience or championship or promotion. Probably likely as link to Wilcox.

Rafa - big name, done it before with Newcastle but doesn’t he like living up North. Also doesn’t fit the SR mould so won’t happen.

Marsch - would be a gamble as no Championship experience, but does fit the SR mould as you say. 

Russell Martin is an interesting one - he’s at a similar point in his career to Graham Potter when he went from Swansea to Brighton, I wouldn’t be averse to him coming.

• Like 1

This supposed link between Wilcox and Viera, is it just that they were both at Man City once? Viera left in 2011 after playing 28 games, Wilcox started coaching at their academy a year later. Viera coached the Elite development squad for 2 years. I’m struggling to see any other link than that they both worked for the same employer at different times. 

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Agree with Cooper, he’d be my first choice and a possibility even if Forest stay up, they’re the sort of bat sh*t mental club that would sack him. Experience of promotion and knows the Championship well. Might not want to drop back down though.

Vieira - don’t think he’s that great, nothing stand out in his managerial career and ended poorly at Palace. Fans I know said the football was crap by the time he was sacked. No experience or championship or promotion. Probably likely as link to Wilcox.

Rafa - big name, done it before with Newcastle but doesn’t he like living up North. Also doesn’t fit the SR mould so won’t happen.

Marsch - would be a gamble as no Championship experience, but does fit the SR mould as you say. 

Russell Martin is an interesting one - he’s at a similar point in his career to Graham Potter when he went from Swansea to Brighton, I wouldn’t be averse to him coming.

Martin isn't that highly thought of by Swansea fans believe it or not, they only had an uptick towards the end of the season. A lot of their fans wanted him out before they woke up at the end of the season when there was nothing to play for. Not totally convinced, I still think he's unproven and hasn't pulled up any trees in the Championship.

I'd look at the likes of Mark Robbins or Carrick before him if we were looking at existing Champ managers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This supposed link between Wilcox and Viera, is it just that they were both at Man City once? Viera left in 2011 after playing 28 games, Wilcox started coaching at their academy a year later. I’m struggling to see any other link than that they both worked for the same employer at different times. 

His one fairly decent season at Palace is the experience we need.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Martin isn't that highly thought of by Swansea fans believe it or not, they only had an uptick towards the end of the season. A lot of their fans wanted him out before they woke up at the end of the season when there was nothing to play for. Not totally convinced, I still think he's unproven and hasn't pulled up any trees in the Championship.

I'd look at the likes of Mark Robbins or Carrick before him if we were looking at existing Champ managers.

Yeah Robbins is another, however I wonder if he’s a bit like Jones (obviously less mental!) in that he fits a certain club really well.

Carrick I don’t think we have any chance of getting, think he’ll stay at Boro regardless as it’s where he is from.

I think this appointment is a gamble whoever we get in and it’s a massive job to turn the whole vibe of negativity of the club around. 

I’m 29 years old, was there for the first relegation but am not one of those entitled pricks on Twitter that believes we should be a Champions League club. 😂

Yes, we should’ve invested better, but then this takeover last summer was a second time to make things right for the long term, and Sports Republic screwed it’s up badly.

Equally, I won’t lose any sleep over our relegation, I won’t lose any slee over these players leaving, and if it takes us a few years to come back so be it.

Lifes too short to get wound up over football from a team of overpaid half heads that meet up weekly to kick a ball around.

All I want to see now is a bit of a statement of intent as to how SR right their wrongs of this season, and that involves going for a manager with good pedigree, experience and leadership.
That will immediately change the views of a divided fanbase.

It’s so funny watching the teenagers on social media throw their toys out the pram. 😂

• Like 1

So page 19 and not really any one standout candidate or even one there is any consensus between us all. The ideal fit doesn’t exist. Everyone has a drawback of some sort. 

Sooner or later we will have to face a compromise then. Be it a gamble on a Plymouth/Swansea up and coming? A Spanish hipster? A failed Prem mgr (Viera/Rogers/Marsch)? Throw money at Potter? Go for a name Gerrard/Rooney? A left-field appointment no one’s heard off?

If none of the above float your boat then that’s an indication of the size of the problem we now face and after yesterdays botched robotic club statement my faith in Sports Direct is even more diminished. My point is then good available managers are in very short supply so we are going to have to accept our next messiah will arrive with quite a percentage of the fan base having negative thoughts. Not a comforting thought as we try and steady the listing and rudderless ship. 

37 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

So page 19 and not really any one standout candidate or even one there is any consensus between us all. The ideal fit doesn’t exist. Everyone has a drawback of some sort. 

Sooner or later we will have to face a compromise then. Be it a gamble on a Plymouth/Swansea up and coming? A Spanish hipster? A failed Prem mgr (Viera/Rogers/Marsch)? Throw money at Potter? Go for a name Gerrard/Rooney? A left-field appointment no one’s heard off?

If none of the above float your boat then that’s an indication of the size of the problem we now face and after yesterdays botched robotic club statement my faith in Sports Direct is even more diminished. My point is then good available managers are in very short supply so we are going to have to accept our next messiah will arrive with quite a percentage of the fan base having negative thoughts. Not a comforting thought as we try and steady the listing and rudderless ship. 

Good point.  I do think the vast majority of the fanbase would love Potter here though.  Unlikely though it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Has Selles gone yet...... 

There is absolutely zero chance he'll be gone before the end of the season.

The new manager will need a clean break and not be linked with any games from this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good point.  I do think the vast majority of the fanbase would love Potter here though.  Unlikely though it is.

Can’t see that too many would be disappointed with Rodgers either? My only concern with him would be that it’s a bit too much of a project, the squad needs a complete and utter overhaul. I personally would welcome Marsch, I wasn’t too enamoured with him coming in to keep us up but I think with a running start in the championship he could be a good fit.

Russell Martin wasn’t backward in coming forward when it came to calling out Obafemi for being unprofessional. He dropped him like a stone and basically told him to get his act together. We could have done with that this season given the stories that are leaking out of SMS. He’s also well regarded as a coach and knows the league. I wouldn’t be averse to him.

• Like 1

I’m not that impressed with the thought of Gerrard, Parker or Viera coming. Parker was sacked both at Bournemouth and Fulham once promoted, Emery is showing how much potential the Villa side have and Viera didn’t do anything special at Palace or Nice. 

Although we are now a division lower, other clubs were able to attract ‘bigger’ names, Bielsa, Benitez and Silva to name a few. We have money to spend, a state of the art training ground and Southampton is easily accessible from anywhere in Europe. 

Possible managers I would like to see,

1. Peter Bosz, coached Dortmund, Lyon and Ajax. Has been out of work since sacked by Lyon. Likes playing attacking football and fast paced. His downside is he doesn’t have a plan B. Would like to see him with his former assistant Alfred Schreuder and possibly someone who knows English football and our club. 

2. Oliver Glasner, leaving Frankfurt at the end of this season. Might be a long stretch but with some convincing and prospect of money he might come. Likes playing 3 at the back with the wing backs moving in to midfield, like City. 

3. Adi Hutter, out of work since leaving Gladbach in 2022. Comes from the Red Bull trainers school and likes playing attacking football with 3 at the back. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

There are loads of managers good enough to get us out of the championship. Wouldn’t be anyone’s first choice but Scott Parker has done it twice with two different clubs, not your ideal choice for the premier league but one of those managers good at championship level but not quite premier league level. Neil bloody Warnock is no premier league manager but has got 8 promotions on his CV. Everyone will have a draw back because there aren’t any elite managers who will come to championship Southampton. 

we need someone to come in and help build the club again, someone to help the prat’s running us recruit some decent players and give us a identity and style of play again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we need someone to come in and help build the club again, someone to help the prat’s running us recruit some decent players and give us an identity and style of play again. 

Very much this. The new manager needs to be directing the recruitment team right from the off. Throughout all of last summer it felt like completely the other way round and it seemed to me like Ralph had little involvement with who we were bringing in. If we leave the club to it we’re likely to have a huge squad rotation and end up with a group of players that don’t fit the style of whatever manager we appoint. It’s such an important managerial change to make, it has to happen very quickly. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

3. Adi Hutter, out of work since leaving Gladbach in 2022. Comes from the Red Bull trainers school and likes playing attacking football with 3 at the back. 

I've followed gladbach since 2000 (confirmed glory supporter) and he was dire in the 1 season he was there with them, not sure what he was like at frankfurt (he has hintregger who was immense goal scoring centre back) but I could see his style of football being attractive to the 3 at the back no matter what hard ons.

To be honest I would guess there will be some left field appointment, would not surprise me if we got someone from germany/norway/denmark etc.

Think the viera/wilcox is a bit weak -completely overlooks viera's performance - cant believe we'd go for him just based city nepotism and we are all assuming wilcox rated viera.

Either way I will fully buy in and be optimistic until the first 5mins of the 1st pre-season game

Edit - just looking throught list of availble high point scoring managers - not many names we would get or want so think its going to be a buy in.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik/alle/plus/0/galerie/0?land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=2022&punkteschnitt=1.8+-+3&filtern_nach_punkteschnitt=1.8%3B3&1.8=1.8&3=3&spielklasse=1&plus=0

Edited by Convict Colony

24 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

I’m not that impressed with the thought of Gerrard, Parker or Viera coming. Parker was sacked both at Bournemouth and Fulham once promoted, Emery is showing how much potential the Villa side have and Viera didn’t do anything special at Palace or Nice. 

Although we are now a division lower, other clubs were able to attract ‘bigger’ names, Bielsa, Benitez and Silva to name a few. We have money to spend, a state of the art training ground and Southampton is easily accessible from anywhere in Europe. 

Possible managers I would like to see,

1. Peter Bosz, coached Dortmund, Lyon and Ajax. Has been out of work since sacked by Lyon. Likes playing attacking football and fast paced. His downside is he doesn’t have a plan B. Would like to see him with his former assistant Alfred Schreuder and possibly someone who knows English football and our club. 

2. Oliver Glasner, leaving Frankfurt at the end of this season. Might be a long stretch but with some convincing and prospect of money he might come. Likes playing 3 at the back with the wing backs moving in to midfield, like City. 

Ready for the Premier League apparently......Oh and which animal habitat is he named after? We've already had the Rabbit Hutch.... https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/austria-s-super-coach-has-finished-his-pint-and-is-now-ready-for-the-premier-league/ar-AA1aQCxf

I’ve seen quite a bit of Swansea this season on non Saints at home days and Martin is an interesting character. They were good before the World Cup break then poor afterwards before picking up well over the last few weeks. He’s very attached to five at the back possession football (which might fit with the Wilcox philosophy) and would continue to irritate fans who hate to see us pass the ball sideways. The recent improvement in the team has come from him finally switching to a back four. It’s still not direct though but very much build from the back. I’d certainly have him ahead of several of the others mentioned. And regardless of that I think we should definitely take a look at Ryan Manning (who’s on his way) particularly if we lose Perraud. 

3 minutes ago, New Forest Pony said:

I’ve seen quite a bit of Swansea this season on non Saints at home days and Martin is an interesting character. They were good before the World Cup break then poor afterwards before picking up well over the last few weeks. He’s very attached to five at the back possession football (which might fit with the Wilcox philosophy) and would continue to irritate fans who hate to see us pass the ball sideways. The recent improvement in the team has come from him finally switching to a back four. It’s still not direct though but very much build from the back. I’d certainly have him ahead of several of the others mentioned. And regardless of that I think we should definitely take a look at Ryan Manning (who’s on his way) particularly if we lose Perraud. 

Also rumours that Leicester fancy him if/when they get relegated