New Manager Thread v3

Dman

4 hours ago, Palb said:

There is talk of selecting a new manager based on style of play, and it's this technique of selection that has partially contributed to our downfall.

If we look at past form of getting teams back into PL, there is one manager that stands out in particular, although his record in the PL afterwards let him down a bit.

The manager in question got Bournemouth and Fulham from Championship back into the PL at first attempt so has an exemplary record already with two different teams. Maybe it could be lucky three, and he is free now too  having left Club Brugge in March. No doubt the ssearchfor a new manager will have started but it should be someone with at least Championship pedigree and ideally PL experience.

Translation: Sacked by Bournemouth, Fulham and Club Brugge. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

What about OGS any thoughts on him would he step down to get his career as manager re-ignited? 

I hadn’t considered OGS, I think he’s a realistic and potentially decent shout. I’d worry about his ability to build a team with a strong mentality, as his time at United that appeared to be his and the team’s biggest flaw. We all know that our current squad‘s back bone is about as solid as a paper straw. 

In a dream world we’d get Potter but can’t see him stepping down to the championship. Same with Rodgers, I can’t see that happening but think he would do a good job. 

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

I don't particularly want Scott Parker but he wasn’t sacked by Fulham- he walked out on them to take the Bournemouth job/money.

• Like 1

Out of the list on odds checker I'd be happy these names (not saying they'd all jump at the chance to manage us)

29 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

Out of the list on odds checker I'd be happy these names (not saying they'd all jump at the chance to manage us)

Nuno wouldn’t be a bad shout, but the “entertainment over results” crowd might not be happy. He’s a pretty negative coach. 

4 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

What about OGS any thoughts on him would he step down to get his career as manager re-ignited? 

My thoughts are he was a very limited manager that got away with it because even then Utd had an incredibly talented squad… despite what their fans would tell you

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nuno wouldn’t be a bad shout, but the “entertainment over results” crowd might not be happy. He’s a pretty negative coach. 

Solid coach, did a tremendous job at Wolves.  (Although having Jota & Neves in the championship is the nearest thing to a real-life cheat code).

• Like 2

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Solid coach, did a tremendous job at Wolves.  (Although having Jota & Neves in the championship is the nearest thing to a real-life cheat code).

If we are looking at former Wolves managers would also be happy with Lage - he had them playing some good stuff, just didn’t have a striker.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

My thoughts are he was a very limited manager that got away with it because even then Utd had an incredibly talented squad… despite what their fans would tell you

Cardiff as well. Started well at Man U but when the legend player sentiment ran out the wheels came off big time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, benjii said:

I fucking love "premadonna".

Makes me chuckle every time.

Donna Summer was probably the best mainstream female pop artist premadonna. 

After "Into The Groove" was released all that changed.

• Haha 3

Scott Parker is the most obvious candidate to give us the best chance of bouncing back. 
The Club has much bigger problems than just who the next manager is. All our issues won’t just disappear because we drop down a league. 

• Haha 2

Spoke with a colleague at work today who did his UEFA B licence with Russell Martin, and who has had a number of interactions with him over the last few years. He holds him in very high regard. Says he is a very good man manager, and a thoroughly decent human being. He is a purist so will not abandon his principles just to get results. His football is heavily possession based - 60% plus - and his teams often win games in the last 20 minutes once they've ground teams down. However, supporters enjoy watching his teams - there is positivity around watching them - and he gets good buy in. My colleague's view is that he has not had the tools - or at least not all of them - at his disposal at Swansea to get a team where we need to go, but that given the right resources he will do very well. Says we could do a hell of a lot worse, and would recommend him over Schumacher if that were ever a consideration.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Spoke with a colleague at work today who did his UEFA B licence with Russell Martin, and who has had a number of interactions with him over the last few years. He holds him in very high regard. Says he is a very good man manager, and a thoroughly decent human being. He is a purist so will not abandon his principles just to get results. His football is heavily possession based - 60% plus - and his teams often win games in the last 20 minutes once they've ground teams down. However, supporters enjoy watching his teams - there is positivity around watching them - and he gets good buy in. My colleague's view is that he has not had the tools - or at least not all of them - at his disposal at Swansea to get a team where we need to go, but that given the right resources he will do very well. Says we could do a hell of a lot worse, and would recommend him over Schumacher if that were ever a consideration.

Lost me on ‘won’t abandon his principles just to get results’.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Agree. In what other industry would employers even look at a manager who had been sacked 3 times in a short space of time?

Just now, saintant said:

Agree. In what other industry would employers even look at a manager who had been sacked 3 times in a short space of time?

He wasn’t sacked by Fulham, he walked out for more money at Bournemouth.

15 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Well we've certainly got plenty of them, on and off the pitch

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

When I read guff like this my heart sinks at the thought of us signing yet another unknown 'hidden gem' who we know in our heart of hearts will fail abysmally if he ever got the job.

Put it this way, I'd be less alarmed if Neil Warnock turned up in Britannia Road

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

When I read guff like this my heart sinks at the thought of us signing yet another unknown 'hidden gem' who we know in our heart of hearts will fail abysmally if he ever got the job.

Put it this way, I'd be less alarmed if Neil Warnock turned up in Britannia Road

Not my opinion - just passing it on from somebody who has worked with him. Which I imagine is more than you have done. Go back to commiserating over your beloved Gooners missing out on the title.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, InvictaSaint said:

Not my opinion - just passing it on from somebody who has worked with him. Which I imagine is more than you have done. Go back to commiserating over your beloved Gooners missing out on the title.

Ruben Selles has done more than Charlie, should we retain him instead?

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ruben Selles has done more than Charlie, should we retain him instead?

Yes. That is oh so clearly what I was advocating. For the hard of understanding....it is NOT my opinion. I am simply passing on - on a football forum - what somebody who has worked with / met him thinks of him. Take it, leave it, ignore it - don't really care. But don't wilfully misinterpret it.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

We need someone who can operate at Championship level, Parker is well proven at that

It'd be worth getting Scott Parker for the obvious "Parker Pens Saints Deal" headline when he joins.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Lost me on ‘won’t abandon his principles just to get results’.

This is what tempts me about this guy or someone like this guy. St Marys has become such a dull place to be as a Saints fan, all I want next season is the knowledge that the team I support has worked all week on implementing attacking play and therefore will potentially bring entertaining football. We've been so under coached attacking wise for years now, our best attacking play comes from our off the ball work and winning the ball high up the pitch, that's all we have. Just give me a manager who wants to work on us in possession. Results will come if they're good but lets make the home games fun to go to again please.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

We need someone who can operate at Championship level, Parker is well proven at that

Disagree. We need someone to take us up and keep us up. I.e someone who can operate at PL level.

Parker is well proven he cannot do that. 

Pointless appointing a manager for who would hopefully be 1 season. 

• Like 4

The problem is that ALL of the managers being spoken about who haven't managed in the PL are a pure punt. So we can't really say that this person is a much better option than person based on how they might do as and when we get back up. We really need to focus on getting out of the championship, and get someone in who can deliver that.

We can worry about the PL again when we get there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Disagree. We need someone to take us up and keep us up. I.e someone who can operate at PL level.

Parker is well proven he cannot do that. 

Pointless appointing a manager for who would hopefully be 1 season. 

Well that should be fucking easy to do.  If you've got enough time in the day please do give us all the endless list of managers that fit that bill and would be willing to join a shit show of a club, or to make it easier gives us your top 10.

Priority number 1 for next season is promotion. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Well that should be fucking easy to do.  If you've got enough time in the day please do give us all the endless list of managers that fit that bill and would be willing to join a shit show of a club, or to make it easier gives us your top 10.

Priority number 1 for next season is promotion. 

im not sure it is. IMO promotion will be a bonus. The club is a mess. We'll be left with a handful of half decent players then a load of kids or ones that are crap. No manager, everyone behind the scenes leaving, a scouting system that needs ripping up and starting again, a losing mentality where players and fans expect us to lose every week now. Whoever comes in has got to turn all that around first before evening thinking about promotion. As things stand we are more likely to do a Stoke than a Burnley, there is a huge overhaul needed from top to bottom, then we might be able to start planning for promotion.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Soon find out if Rasmus no 1 choice Carrick will come to Saints.

Got the playoffs semi finals on Weds.

PS Rasmus has more power in the next manager choice over Wilcox, just saying!!

Carrick would be a cracking appointment and should rightly be number 1 target. Delivers for the people who want a ‘name’. Has experience of delivering relevant success in the league and also has an unknown ceiling. Probably also brings an out of contract top scorer with him too.

Don’t think it’s any coincidence that the two managers on the shortlist revealed seasons are over. Other two potentially have games to come. Carrick and Cooper I would suggest.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 4

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Carrick would be a cracking appointment and should rightly be number 1 target. Delivers for the people who want a ‘name’. Has experience of delivering relevant success in the league and also has an unknown ceiling. Probably also brings an out of contract top scorer with him too.

I think that might be the key.

Akpom and Tella would rip that division.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Do you know who else is on the list Pilchards?

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Let s be honest, whoever we get you ll be moaning about him after 10 games as we will have had a a mixed start given how much turnover we will have this summer.

Well the 3 managers we have had this season and last 14 games of last were so brilliant I don’t get why everyone isn’t happy clapping  really.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AngusHyd said:

I hadn’t considered OGS, I think he’s a realistic and potentially decent shout. I’d worry about his ability to build a team with a strong mentality, as his time at United that appeared to be his and the team’s biggest flaw. We all know that our current squad‘s back bone is about as solid as a paper straw. 

In a dream world we’d get Potter but can’t see him stepping down to the championship. Same with Rodgers, I can’t see that happening but think he would do a good job. 

I genuinely don’t understand why people want Rodgers. His Leicester team is as bad as us this season. 

He has clearly lost his way in the modern game. Plus he is an insufferable bell end 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

But the worlds biggest SR supporter (I.e mental manji) keeps telling us that Rasmus has taken a step back from recruitment 

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

I still think he's onto a good thing at Boro, even if they don't go up. (Plus he's close to home). I'd expect him to be on our list, but I'd personally be happier with a Viera type.