New Manager Thread v3

Dman

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

For the 100th time to a poster on here, what does it matter what they achieved as a player? Lampard and Gerrard may have got that initial respect, but once the players seen their coaching abilities, that respect would have evaporated very quickly. What they've achieved as a manager on the other hand.....

I think that being a high achieving player gives you a better chance of success but it doesn't guarantee it. If you've spent your entire career around elite managers and players then you'd hope you've learnt a few things. Everything about Jones reeked of amateur and lower leagues. You would imagine that that wouldn't be the case with Carrick regardless of if he comes here or not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

For the 100th time to a poster on here, what does it matter what they achieved as a player? Lampard and Gerrard may have got that initial respect, but once the players seen their coaching abilities, that respect would have evaporated very quickly. What they've achieved as a manager on the other hand.....

You’re right - it doesn’t matter what they achieved as a player but it does matter that Carrick played for 7 years under arguably the greatest manager ever. What he would have learned from Fergie you couldn’t teach anyone.

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I’d imagine you’ve seen little to nothing of Middlesbrough or Carrick to make a judgement on his coaching. 

7 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

You’re right - it doesn’t matter what they achieved as a player but it does matter that Carrick played for 7 years under arguably the greatest manager ever. What he would have learned from Fergie you couldn’t teach anyone.

He obviously taught Mark Robins more

I suspect Carrick is just the sort of manager SR will want to get. They had their fingers burnt with Jones so are more likely to play it a little more conservatively.  I could get behind Carrick, certainly seems to have something about him. Track record is ok and plays a pretty progressive game. Cannot believe Boro lost that game tonight but Coventry know how to take a chance. Aren't the club being a bit arrogant thinking Carrick would leave Boro for Saints, I'd imagine he'd be looking for a PL job next.

Mowbray has an ok CV but he is a miserable bugger, we need some sunshine at the moment, nevertheless we could a lot worse.

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Twitter timeline has a few “go get Carrick” tweets popping up 🤦🏻‍♂️

Bloke has literally been a manager for a few months.

Andrew prefers someone with experience 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't understand the fascination with Carrick. A few decent months as a manager.

Seems a bit disingenuous.

After losing his first match in charge, Carrick took them on a run of 15 wins in the next 20 matches. 

Took charge of 30 matches. So the best part of a season.

58 points in that time, i.e. 1.93 PPG. Extrapolating across a season you'd be looking at potential automatic promotion.

I'm not claiming Carrick's the Messiah - or even a good fit for us. But has at least shown signs of having the chops for the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegalEagle said:

How many other players played under Fergie? Is Gary Neville a good manager?

It's pretty much irrelevant compared to assessing their actual ability as a manager

• Like 1

7 hours ago, macca155 said:

I suspect Carrick is just the sort of manager SR will want to get. They had their fingers burnt with Jones so are more likely to play it a little more conservatively.  I could get behind Carrick, certainly seems to have something about him. Track record is ok and plays a pretty progressive game. Cannot believe Boro lost that game tonight but Coventry know how to take a chance. Aren't the club being a bit arrogant thinking Carrick would leave Boro for Saints, I'd imagine he'd be looking for a PL job next.

Mowbray has an ok CV but he is a miserable bugger, we need some sunshine at the moment, nevertheless we could a lot worse.

Mowbray is a really nice, honest bloke who was very popular with the Blackburn players. Whether or not he would be a good fit for us is another matter of course. I think Carrick is more SR’s sort of guy but he’s got a good Chairman at Boro and can’t see us tempting him away. Has done an excellent job as they were 21st when he took over. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, LegalEagle said:

What he would have learned from Fergie you couldn’t teach anyone.

And what’s one thing SAF says to young managers? 

“Pick the right owner”. Heard that from him many times, when discussing players thinking of going into the managerial game.

Steve Gibson, or our  🤡 show? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

And what’s one thing SAF says to young managers? 

“Pick the right owner”. Heard that from him many times, when discussing players thinking of going into the managerial game.

Steve Gibson, or our  🤡 show? 

It’s funny how Gibsons reputation has always remained positive. They’ve gone from a European final to being unable to get out of the Championship which is quite the drop and one that if SR oversaw for example would not result in them being used as a good owner example.

10 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Mowbray is a really nice, honest bloke who was very popular with the Blackburn players. Whether or not he would be a good fit for us is another matter of course. I think Carrick is more SR’s sort of guy but he’s got a good Chairman at Boro and can’t see us tempting him away. Has done an excellent job as they were 21st when he took over. 

reckon he'd try and resign Sam Gallagher? No joke, he'd suit us right now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12883728/southampton-swansea-manager-russell-martin-one-of-leading-contenders-to-take-over-as-boss

Why would we be waiting until July to make an appointment. Makes utterly no sense atall. Just hoping we have other candidates we are talking to. Dont want another lower level manager.

No good buggering about until they report back for pre-season. Need to get someone in asap so they can identify who they want to keep, who they want to sign etc etc. 

40 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12883728/southampton-swansea-manager-russell-martin-one-of-leading-contenders-to-take-over-as-boss

Why would we be waiting until July to make an appointment. Makes utterly no sense atall. Just hoping we have other candidates we are talking to. Dont want another lower level manager.

Saving money as usual, but maybe also because other managers like Cooper or Moyes might come into the frame. Have funny feeling Potter will take over from Southgate.

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

No good buggering about until they report back for pre-season. Need to get someone in asap so they can identify who they want to keep, who they want to sign etc etc. 

What I'm hoping is it says we are speaking to several candidates. We need someone who can command instant respect of the players. Still hoping for Gerrard, Vieira e.t.c. 

11 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

I think that long diatribe must have come from the Welsh mad man himself.  Why would a random 'Luton' fan know much about Livramento, Larios and - above all - Thierry Small?  

The part where it says ‘NJ will buy a tall striker in the next window’ does it for me. Has to be him or someone close.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

What I'm hoping is it says we are speaking to several candidates. We need someone who can command instant respect of the players. Still hoping for Gerrard, Vieira e.t.c. 

What’s all this instant respect pony. If respect towards your playing career made you a good manager, why was Bobby Moore a poor manager? Why was Jackie a better man manager than Bobby Charlton & how did Jose have brilliant players eating out of his hands despite only having managed in Portugal and never having kicked a ball? It’s  more likely the players will believe Gerrard is a substandard manager who only got the job off the back of his name. As when Matt was managed by his idol & favourite player, they’ll soon go off him if he’s a shite manager. I’d rather we got someone in who won them over with his managerial style, not his playing career. 

• Like 3

I get the idea of a certain type of manager to "unite the fans"

Then, part of me hopes the club ignores than fans, who championed the summer transfer window as 9 or 10/10. We are clearly fucking clueless, in the main

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Because we are in the championship. 

Fulham got Marco Silva in the championship.  We couldrtry and  sell the project to Potter , Rodgers etc ...if there not interested fair enough, but we should be aiming higher than Russell Martin in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Saving money as usual, but maybe also because other managers like Cooper or Moyes might come into the frame. Have funny feeling Potter will take over from Southgate.

Rubbish, we are badly run but the owners haven't been slow to spend, throwing money away. 

22 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Then, part of me hopes the club ignores than fans, who championed the summer transfer window as 9 or 10/10. We are clearly fucking clueless, in the main

FFS you've been shoe horning 'how shit saints fans are' into posts since 2010. 

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I can’t think of anyone attainable that would unite the fans. Not too long ago many were turning their nose up at Howe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

But hopefully less of a helmet.

Who cares what he's like as a person? Our new manager can go home, burn Saints shirts, spit on the Ted Bates statue and make sweet love to John Westwood for all I care as long as he achieves wins.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I can’t think of anyone attainable that would unite the fans. Not too long ago many were turning their nose up at Howe.

I still would tbf.

But we DID also turn our noses up at Mancini and Tuchel (I think in the same window, after Puel left)

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Who cares what he's like as a person? Our new manager can go home, burn Saints shirts, spit on the Ted Bates statue and make sweet love to John Westwood for all I care as long as he achieves wins.

Of course but given the choice I'd rather have a likable character who is successful than someone irritating. 

I know this sounds like a “my brothers best friends uncles cousin says” but…

My mate is Russell Martins foster brother, and he said it’s a done deal. Apparently the offer was too good to turn down. 

Having said that, he also said he had absolutely no interest in the Swansea job when they came in for him, then he changed his mind about 2 days later…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FleetCasual said:

My mate is Russell Martins foster brother, and he said it’s a done deal. Apparently the offer was too good to turn down. 

Having said that, he also said he had absolutely no interest in the Swansea job when they came in for him, then he changed his mind about 2 days later…

I cannot find any reference to him being fostered but it's quite a random thing to make up so I'm going to stick my neck out and believe this has some truth 😬

10 minutes ago, FleetCasual said:

Plus you haven't posted since 2016 prior to this post 👀

2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I cannot find any reference to him being fostered but it's quite a random thing to make up so I'm going to stick my neck out and believe this has some truth 😬

Maybe he’s not the one that was fostered 👀 

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Because we are in the championship. 

There would probably be about 8-10 teams that would be exited about Martin. We shouldn't be one of them. If I were a Middlesbrough fan, having just lost a playoff semi final, my sets would be set higher than Russell Martin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Personality is rather important in the bloke who manages the players and is the face/voice of the club with the media. I suspect that your cared that Jones was an idiot. 

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

There would probably be about 8-10 teams that would be exited about Martin. We shouldn't be one of them. If I were a Middlesbrough fan, having just lost a playoff semi final, my sets would be set higher than Russell Martin.

Middlesbrough fans don't want a different manager right now, I reckon.

38 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

https://amp.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2022/03/27/99193/mallorca-football-coach-robert-croll-talks-about-rma-mallorca.html

It may not prove I know the guy, but it mentions he has a foster brother here. You’ll just just have to take my word for it!

And yes, I have been a lapse forum user, always more of a lurker. Also I moved to Sweden about 5 years ago and don’t follow the team as actively as I did when living in London. Still love them though, even though they try my patience! Was just sharing what I’ve heard as I thought you guys might be interested :)

• Like 9

His brother (I don't know if fostered or not) is Jamie Martin who is an actor and is 9 years older than him. He may have other brothers though.

Jamie Martin | Wiki 24 | Fandom

Extract from a Norwich article:

When he was at school in Brighton, he followed his dad’s advice – always have something to fall back on. If he hadn’t made it as a footballer, Martin would probably be treading the boards at your local theatre, perhaps trying to persuade playwright and actor brother Jamie to give him a part, appearing on TV – again.

16 minutes ago, Webby said:

It’s Happy Hour!!

It’s time  for him to Build a new team. Always the same when we get a new manager, it makes me Anxious.

it could be that of the next few people to post, Five get over excited.

Edited by teamsaint