New Manager Thread v3

Dman

Ankerson attends an event in which my source also attends and this is why I get this information which I sometimes share with you.

A previous event Ankerson was so open about Nathan Jones and told him he loves the way he gets the team playing together and that is why we approached him last summer but he declined. Wasn’t ready was his reply but Saints went back in again for him but IMHO was he ready then? Did we rush the second approach in a panic as clearly Jones wasn’t ready as it turned out.

Obviously that was last October/November (can’t remember when Jones came in)

IMHO the reason why it never worked after watching last nights Luton game was because the lazy cunts at our football club wouldn’t work hard enough. It started well when Nathan got here as I heard the players liked him but things turned. I have no idea why but probably was because they never respect a small time Charlie that wanted to get the best out of a team.

Read rumours on this chat that players turned up late and the great Strachan saying things like when you’re winning you are never injured. When losing they drop like a pack of cards. 

I put it down to lack of fitness personally (being unfit does give you more niggles) The Luton team yesterday would have run rings around our guys. They hunted in packs and dived in every tackle.

We apparently tried to get a temp manager in around about 5/6 weeks ago who was an ex player. Told fans would love it but this never happened, no idea why?

Anyway moving on Ankerson has been talking up Carrick to my source saying he loves the way Boro play and respects what he has done in the game so far. Will certainly want to have him coaching at this club if opportunities come along. 

Couldn’t speak high enough of him according to my source as he was the only manager on his lips.

Ankerson still talks like he is very much in the frontline to have a say in the next managerial appointment (when my source told me 5/6 weeks ago) and I’m trying to find a link between Carrick and Wilcox as apparently there is one.

If Ankerson has now taken a back seat (according to the Saints Web) then I’m delighted as it means Wilcox has the full running of the club but don’t always be sure as Ankerson is a very strong opinionated person and my source told me he won’t sit in the background if ever you met him.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Ankerson attends an event in which my source also attends and this is why I get this information which I sometimes share with you.

A previous event Ankerson was so open about Nathan Jones and told him he loves the way he gets the team playing together and that is why we approached him last summer but he declined. Wasn’t ready was his reply but Saints went back in again for him but IMHO was he ready then? Did we rush the second approach in a panic as clearly Jones wasn’t ready as it turned out.

IMHO the reason why it never worked after watching last nights Luton game was because the lazy cunts at our football club wouldn’t work hard enough. It started well when Nathan got here as I heard the players liked him but things turned. I have no idea why but probably was because they never respect a small time Charlie that wanted to get the best out of a team.

Read rumours on this chat that players turned up late and the great Strachan saying things like when you’re winning you are never injured. When losing they drop like a pack of cards. 

I put it down to lack of fitness personally (being unfit does give you more niggles) The Luton team yesterday would have run rings around our guys. They hunted in packs and dived in every tackle.

We apparently tried to get a temp manager in around about 5/6 weeks ago who was an ex player. Told fans would love it but this never happened, no idea why?

Anyway moving on Ankerson has been talking up Carrick to my source saying he loves the way Boro play and respects what he has done in the game so far. Will certainly want to have him coaching at this club if opportunities come along. 

Couldn’t speak high enough of him according to my source as he was the only manager on his lips.

Ankerson still talks like he is very much in the frontline to have a say in the next managerial appointment (when my source told me 5/6 weeks ago) and I’m trying to find a link between Carrick and Wilcox as apparently there is one.

If Ankerson has now taken a back seat (according to the Saints Web) then I’m delighted as it means Wilcox has the full running of the club but don’t always be sure as Ankerson is a very strong opinionated person and my source told me he won’t sit in the background if ever you met him.

1) Not just lazy but nowhere near physical enough. Jones mentioned this a lot when he was here. Watching Luton last night it was obvious that given the time he had, he'd recruited lots of pace, strength and height. All areas we lack. 

2) Think this might have been Beattie. As for what happened...from memory your post was just before the point we got at Arsenal...I suspect that didn't help 

3) I'd be very surprised if, having appointed Wilcox, if Ankerson and Wilcox's ideas don't align. So I have no issue with both being involved. That's just a healthy working relationship.

Edited by Fabrice29

21 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Nathan Jones to Cardiff? That looks like  two inevitable Saints defeats in the league next year already. 

And why are his interviews now sounding relatively normal? Was he permanently on drugs when he was with us? 

I've put Carrick top of my list before, but have no idea whether he's a serious proposition. Obviously won't be if Boro go up. 

I would say he was stressed beyond his capacity to cope mentally. Having heard the information leaking out over the last few days and what we already knew or suspected I'm not really surprised he "cracked up". I suspect he was being undermined from every direction. 

• Like 1

The idea of this squad needing a manager to essentially "kick them into gear" was spot on, similar to Poch when he joined and had them running laps all day. I don't for a second doubt that somebody with as little credibility as NJ trying to implement similar principles onto this god awful group of players was a borderline impossible task. 

With all the subsequent information and the benefit of hindsight, you do definitely understand why he was so tense. However, you just can't feel sorry for somebody who repetitively shot himself in the foot as much as he did. 

3 hours ago, Forester said:

I would be very happy with Parker.  Spent two seasons in championship with two different clubs and got both promoted.

Not too interested in his Premier League record.  Deal with that at the right time

Not to be ageist, but I think he's a bit past it if this recent photo is anything to go by!

image.jpeg.533a9286744abb82a47357204fce5a49.jpeg

Edited by Toussaint

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

The players liked Jones a lot, but after a couple of weeks it became apparent that his training and coaching just wasn’t up to scratch, he also sidelined Selles who the players also had a lit of respect for. 

I get what you say about the players not being committed enough, and I think if they were both us and Jones would of faired much better but overall Im not convinced the Jones appointment would have worked at any point (but he’d of had more chance if he was installed in the summer)

From what I know Ankerson is/will be moving back to his SR overall strategy role, but is involved in the manager search as basically everyone else is gone (Id expect Semmens will be moving on too)

Im not really sure of Wilcox, got no info there, Im hopeful that he is up to the task, he was basically hired to help develop a structure like CFG so he’ll be working close to Rasmus I think

As per Rasmus… yes.. Ive met him and no I don’t expect he’ll be able to keep his hands off, I personally wasn’t a fan of what I saw and yes you can see his arrogance which is a complete personality difference to Crocker/Semmens

TBF Ive not heard any manager names so far. Im not personally sure what to make of Carrick, I think Id actually be quite excited to have him if we weren’t such a fucking mess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

1) Not just lazy but nowhere near physical enough. Jones mentioned this a lot when he was here. Watching Luton last night it was obvious that given the time he had, he'd recruited lots of pace, strength and height. All areas we lack. 

2) Think this might have been Beattie. As for what happened...from memory your post was just before the point we got at Arsenal...I suspect that didn't help 

3) I'd be very surprised if, having appointed Wilcox, if Ankerson and Wilcox's ideas don't align. So I have no issue with both being involved. That's just a healthy working relationship.

Beattie! Good lord. Why on earth would we have loved that? When I read past player, I thought of Yoshi. That would have been interesting. 

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Beattie! Good lord. Why on earth would we have loved that? When I read past player, I thought of Yoshi. That would have been interesting. 

why? What's he achieved as a manager that would have made it interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Found the link straight away bro - use the internet next time.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 18.09.19.png

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Maya Yoshida the Bundesliga player?

Why would he jack that in just to be our temporary manager when we're bottom of the league? We'd have to buy his contract out and he wouldn't be able to play either.

Also, why would the club want that,  and the fanbase would be bewildered more than excited.

Bizarre.

We forget there’s still two games left of the season, yes our season is over but the season isn’t.

Nothing is going to be decided before the final kick.

I wouldn’t put it pst SR to still be fumbling come July.

But they need someone that 95% of the fanbase will unite behind and also that the players will buy into.

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I don’t think it was Beattie. I know for a fact, from the horses mouth, he’s been offering his services to the club for a while (I.e as a coach) but was told he’s not needed. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Has to be our number 1 choice if he comes up. Throw everything at him, who knows. 

Feels like we missed the boat though, I think when crooker was here we’d have stood a better chance given their links at the FA. 

We should have tried for him the summer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Maya Yoshida the Bundesliga player?

Why would he jack that in just to be our temporary manager when we're bottom of the league? We'd have to buy his contract out and he wouldn't be able to play either.

Also, why would the club want that,  and the fanbase would be bewildered more than excited.

Bizarre.

I recall he was pictured at a number of Saints games around the time Jones was failing.

51 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t think it was Beattie. I know for a fact, from the horses mouth, he’s been offering his services to the club for a while (I.e as a coach) but was told he’s not needed. 

Well it was just a hunch and it was based on a very similar conversation that you seem to have had with him as well :D (although mine was a very drunken one to be fair). But if he's been offering his services for a while but being rejected, then I think when we were most desperate the club might have been tempted. He's around the club a lot for charity and ex players stuff, he's got coaching experience, he's popular and relationship with the odd player too. 

I'm not sure who else it could have been. Ex popular player with coaching experience (presumably)...?

Anyway it doesn't matter, I suspect the Arsenal result changed everything :D 

Edited by Fabrice29

Another thing about carrick as well is the entitlement that we think he will drop boro at the first look at our gstring and come down south.

Boro arent a poor team etc, well run and he lives near his family, there is no way he leaves the artic circle for the med any time soon.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I recall he was pictured at a number of Saints games around the time Jones was failing.

Fair enough but he's been a central part of the Schalke first team as well.

Obviously not going to become our temporary manager this spring.

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You mean contracted to Brighton Lallana?

Yes, that one, well done. 

The one whose contract would be irrelevant if he wanted to Jack in playing and become a manager. 

2 hours ago, saintant said:

If the club are hoping to shift season tickets it's time to bring in a manager who will excite the fans. We all know it won't happen. 

This. Unite the fanbase, unite the fans to the board, get the players to play for the manager. Authority all round. Leadership in place. A plan in the making.

Half-arsed decisions will only hinder us.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Broja was overrated anyway. Six goals and everyone was calling him a world beater 🤣

Twice As many league goals as Armstrong has scored in his whole time as saints 

Edited by Turkish

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Broja was overrated anyway. Six goals and everyone was calling him a world beater 🤣

People were saying he has all the attributes to be a world beater. 

I guess we’ll never know, but has he not suffered a terrible injury, I suspect he’d be leading the line for Chelsea now. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes, that one, well done. 

The one whose contract would be irrelevant if he wanted to Jack in playing and become a manager. 

Yes. It's perfectly normal for someone to jack in a ridiculously good contract whilst he's injured for a temporary managers job at a club he's booed at everytime he comes back that would highly likely end in relegation.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Yes. It's perfectly normal for someone to jack in a ridiculously good contract whilst he's injured for a temporary managers job at a club he's booed at everytime he comes back that would highly likely end in relegation.

To be fair, I doubt he'll get many more games for Brighton and think he's done his coaching badges so not ludicrous suggestion. Doubt he'd give a monkeys about a few scrotes booing for ten minutes. Anyhow, perhaps it was Fonte? Guess we'll never know now.

PS anyone else think Mowbray wouldn't be a disaster? realistic, would take no shit, lots of experience. All of which rule him out from Ankersen's 'edgy' (ie shit) views about thinking outside the box or something. ie shit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Think Carrick will get Boro promoted so that will rule him out*

*will log in at 10pm tomorrow night to edit this post 😂

Yup

Not sure what makes Carrick a better version of Nathan Jones. Both bottled the championship playoffs

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DT said:

To be fair, I doubt he'll get many more games for Brighton and think he's done his coaching badges so not ludicrous suggestion. Doubt he'd give a monkeys about a few scrotes booing for ten minutes. Anyhow, perhaps it was Fonte? Guess we'll never know now.

PS anyone else think Mowbray wouldn't be a disaster? realistic, would take no shit, lots of experience. All of which rule him out from Ankersen's 'edgy' (ie shit) views about thinking outside the box or something. ie shit.

I mean… its pretty ludicrous tbf

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yup

Not sure what makes Carrick a better version of Nathan Jones. Both bottled the championship playoffs

Besides the obvious improvement in Playing style, Carrick was also a fantastic, Elite player where Jones was a cart horse at Yeovil.    

You’re a young player at a club, who will you instantly have more respect for? A mumbling mess from south wales shouting passion and aggression at you, or someone who’s won it all at club level and has a progressive attacking style of play. 

17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yup

He’s done a good job in every management role he’s had, including a Utd caretaker stint

He’s sat and learnt off of some elite managers

Was an elite level footballer

Highly thought of in the game and transformed Boro this year

Isn’t a bumbling idiot

Other than that they’re basically the same

• Like 1

Anyone seriously thinking that we could do better than Carrick just needs to take a minute and look at where we are and the general state of the club - from top to bottom. It’s a shit show. We would be bloody lucky to get him. I can guarantee now that we wont do better. Anyone thinking we’ll get someone like Potter or Rodgers is living in cloud cuckoo land.

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's happening 

I could see a world where he return in some form of coaching capacity, probably not as a player though. 

Always thought Fonte would make a good manager and would manage us at some point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

Besides the obvious improvement in Playing style, Carrick was also a fantastic, Elite player where Jones was a cart horse at Yeovil.    

You’re a young player at a club, who will you instantly have more respect for? A mumbling mess from south wales shouting passion and aggression at you, or someone who’s won it all at club level and has a progressive attacking style of play. 

For the 100th time to a poster on here, what does it matter what they achieved as a player? Lampard and Gerrard may have got that initial respect, but once the players seen their coaching abilities, that respect would have evaporated very quickly. What they've achieved as a manager on the other hand.....

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He’s done a good job in every management role he’s had, including a Utd caretaker stint

He’s sat and learnt off of some elite managers

Was an elite level footballer

Highly thought of in the game and transformed Boro this year

Isn’t a bumbling idiot

Other than that they’re basically the same

Also doesn't make it about himself. 

No reports of little tactical awareness. 

Doesn't embarrass himself in press conferences. 

I'm struggling to see any similarities with Jones to be honest other than both of them had some success in the championship. 

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

For the 100th time to a poster on here, what does it matter what they achieved as a player? Lampard and Gerrard may have got that initial respect, but once the players seen their coaching abilities, that respect would have evaporated very quickly. What they've achieved as a manager on the other hand.....

what about “sparky” Hughes?