New Manager Thread v3

Dman

9 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Can’t wait for Alex Crook to nick that piece of info, or paint a picture that things are ‘getting closer’ to Martin being appointed just on the back of that snippet.

Wasn’t there a rumour deliberately made up on one of the forums a few years ago and Alex Crook picked it up as breaking news? Must’ve been five or six years ago now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

reckon he'd try and resign Sam Gallagher? No joke, he'd suit us right now. 

Ha I doubt it although  Sam liked Tony and they got on well. Blackburn are also looking to sell apparently as there is no money there. Sams got a year left on his contract and Blackburn can then extend by a season. Baby due in the summer so not sure the upheaval would be well timed. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Wasn’t there a rumour deliberately made up on one of the forums a few years ago and Alex Crook picked it up as breaking news? Must’ve been five or six years ago now.

Probably the Koller one? I do remember him telling me Wanyama was joining Cardiff and I told him he was at Saints as we speak (someone from this forum who knew someone  inside the club was giving updates) and he told me I was talking rubbish and blocked me. The fact he’s made a living out of what he does is both astounding and in some ways, to be respected.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Probably the Koller one? I do remember him telling me Wanyama was joining Cardiff and I told him he was at Saints as we speak (someone from this forum who knew someone  inside the club was giving updates) and he told me I was talking rubbish and blocked me. The fact he’s made a living out of what he does is both astounding and in some ways, to be respected.

On a relatively major media outlet as a football expert is incredible really. My favourite one of his was when he said we have no interest in Charlie Austin, less than 24 hours later he signed, when i reminded him of this a few months later he blocks me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

On a relatively major media outlet as a football expert is incredible really. My favourite one of his was when he said we have no interest in Charlie Austin, less than 24 hours later he signed, when i reminded him of this a few months later he blocks me.

I’m still blocked by Neil Allen of the Portsmouth News, because despite having no Saints related stuff on my social media he took offence to me questioning the old 20p in the £1 rubbish a decade or so ago.

Apparently I was misinformed about all those business that went bust and the charities who’s money was taken. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

If the 'young and up-and-coming' category really is what Saints are looking for then I'd rate Kieran McKenna quite high on the list. Might be "only" a league 1 manager (though he got Ipswich promoted this season) but he's from the same mould as Carrick, has Ipswich playing incredibly well and his opposition coaching and adaptability is something we've lack for a long time. Certainly not saying he'd be an exciting appointment, and I'd like to see us making a statement in who we appoint as opposed to another project, BUT if that's the route we did go down we could do a lot worse then McKenna

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m still blocked by Neil Allen of the Portsmouth News, because despite having no Saints related stuff on my social media he took offence to me questioning the old 20p in the £1 rubbish a decade or so ago.

Apparently I was misinformed about all those business that went bust and the charities who’s money was taken. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Those bellends (Crook and Allen) are cut from the same cloth.

• Like 1

Just to show you how important it is to get the right manager.

Darren Ferguson puts two defenders on vs Weds when losing 2 nil.

Peterborough never had anymore attacks second half as they invited Weds to bombard them which they did.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Just to show you how important it is to get the right manager.

Darren Ferguson puts two defenders on vs Weds when losing 2 nil.

Peterborough never had anymore attacks second half as they invited Weds to bombard them which they did.

On that subject, I like the look of that Ricky-Jade Jones. Wouldn’t mind us taking a punt on him next season. 

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make is that you’ll get teams in the Championship that will try and get a half decent ex-Premier League manager to drop down and buy into the project.

I just feel like it’s almost like we’ve resigned ourselves to setting for an average joe.

One thing that is a positive is that a Director of Football seems to be appointed, Head of recruitment and a few other roles are starting to be confirmed. But I’m hoping these were almost confirmed some time ago rather than say them all starting on July 1st.

We need to be ready.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The point I was trying to make is that you’ll get teams in the Championship that will try and get a half decent ex-Premier League manager to drop down and buy into the project.

I just feel like it’s almost like we’ve resigned ourselves to setting for an average joe.

One thing that is a positive is that a Director of Football seems to be appointed, Head of recruitment and a few other roles are starting to be confirmed. But I’m hoping these were almost confirmed some time ago rather than say them all starting on July 1st.

We need to be ready.

How do you know we didn’t sound him out and he laughed us out of town? There was no chance he would be coming here, when he’s sat on a fat pay off from Chelsea and can swoop into a number of Premier League sides when they want a manager next year. Or take a nice project abroad out of the spotlight.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We need to be ready.

You know this is something you think rather than the club, right? Nobody appointing Martin is thinking they have resigned themselves to an average joe. They think they've appointed someone good. Similar I'm sure to when Poch was sacked for being bottom of La Liga and we saw something good in him.

Obviously people are welcome to their opinion on whether they are correct or not but this concern you're raising is one you have, not the club. Maybe try changing your mentality, it might be more fun.

Also btw, stating in one sentence we've settled for an average joe and in another praising clubs appointing "half decent ex PL managers" is quite special.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Potter linked with Leicester it seems.

8 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yeah, Leicester not thinking that he wouldn't consider a team in the Championship.

I would certainly like Saints to speak to him. Ask him for an interview. At the moment, it seems like a coronation for Russell Martin.

On footie insider on twitter which is the single most "throw shit at the wall" guesswork site you can get.

Leicester will not be recruiting Graham Potter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

"If the club want to make a decision before the end of the season, I expect some respect and communication before, or I will be very disappointed," said Selles.

I won't begrudge the club for being ruthless, having been relegated with multiple games to go. If we were still in with a chance of staying up at this point, I would be calling shenanigans like when Adkins got sacked having steadied the ship after our tough run.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

1 hour ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

"If the club want to make a decision before the end of the season, I expect some respect and communication before, or I will be very disappointed," said Selles.

The bloke is deluded if he hasn't worked out that his work is done and that the club will be working on his replacement behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

He's not stupid, but it would be only right to tell him formally.

Yep, but no need to tell him before our last game imo. I'd imagine it'll happen asap afterwards.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Absolutely deluded. How arrogant is he to even think there’s a conversation to have???

He’s done absolutely nothing to legitimately think he would be hanging around. To think he deserves anything blows my mind. If I was him I’d 100% assume I’d be leaving at the end of the contract and would thank my lucky stars I ever got a job I was clearly not up to. 

communicate with him???? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Also, he’s had respect in that he’s not been hounded out like the midget before and wasn’t sacked the minute we were relegated (the point at which his failure was confirmed).

I’ve got no time for this massive fraud and he needs to keep his head down and just be grateful that he’s stolen a living for however many moths it’s now been 

Edited by WestMidSaint
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, but no need to tell him before our last game imo. I'd imagine it'll happen asap afterwards.  

The club will have made their decision before season's end, tell Selles goodbye, and then announce his replacement. Possibly on full time on the last day, but no reason why it can't be before, if say it leaked.

It's not likely to unsettle the team into a defeat, when they are so capable of doing that anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yeah, Leicester not thinking that he wouldn't consider a team in the Championship.

I would certainly like Saints to speak to him. Ask him for an interview. At the moment, it seems like a coronation for Russell Martin.

I'm sure these sorts of conversations happen all the time. Call to the agent, not interested, move on

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

The club will have made their decision before season's end, tell Selles goodbye, and then announce his replacement. Possibly on full time on the last day, but no reason why it can't be before, if say it leaked.

It's not likely to unsettle the team into a defeat, when they are so capable of doing that anyway.

Big Razor could waltz into the changing room and slap 'em all around the chin with his penis, and they still couldn't be any more unsettled. 

8 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If Jesse Marsch was seen going in for talks now, would you prefer him or Martin?

Martin. I’ve seen and read enough to sway me into thinking he’s worth a gamble. That said, if Potter were an option I’d still go for him. 

12 hours ago, WestMidSaint said:

Absolutely deluded. How arrogant is he to even think there’s a conversation to have???

He’s done absolutely nothing to legitimately think he would be hanging around. To think he deserves anything blows my mind. If I was him I’d 100% assume I’d be leaving at the end of the contract and would thank my lucky stars I ever got a job I was clearly not up to. 

communicate with him???? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Also, he’s had respect in that he’s not been hounded out like the midget before and wasn’t sacked the minute we were relegated (the point at which his failure was confirmed).

I’ve got no time for this massive fraud and he needs to keep his head down and just be grateful that he’s stolen a living for however many moths it’s now been 

I actually think the board should talk to him. Selles is out of his depth, no doubt about it, and beyond that hasn’t helped himself with baffling selections and tactics, but the problem lies with the Board more than him. They are the ones who decided he was up to it when he clearly isn’t. 

But… he’s still an employee and a human being and deserves a bit of respect regarding the end of his tenure. It’ll speak volumes about Sports Republic if they don’t even do the human side of management well. 

Edited by SW11_Saint
  • Like 4

On 23/05/2023 at 07:40, SW11_Saint said:

Martin. I’ve seen and read enough to sway me into thinking he’s worth a gamble. That said, if Potter were an option I’d still go for him. 

One of the guys on The Saints Podcast at the weekend said that Potter was asked earlier on and he had replied that if we were to stay up, he would be interested. That was never going to happen, was it? A shame. I was also in the Potter camp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...