New Manager Thread v3

Dman

6 minutes ago, manji said:

He wanted to come but was insulted with the by the end of this season contract which he interpreted as we would give him a shot to see if he’s any good. D

We effectively were saying `prove you are good enough for a long term deal by keeping us up'. He obviously didn't back himself to do it, which may have been a very wise move considering how shit we are.

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Please get off your knees.

Sports Republic have been an absolute disaster. 

To even mention revamped/new stadium, as we have been hilariously relegated, is mental

Bigger picture sunshine. As has been said we have often been flirting with danger. I always thought looking for a scapegoat is a sign that fans don’t understand how complicated current football business is.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

How the hell does big Paul fit into this?

Our big daft gangly expensive striker?

I couldn’t tell you. I suppose you could file it in the same place as the past 3 seasons under ‘muddled thinking’

33 minutes ago, manji said:

He wanted to come but was insulted with the by the end of this season contract which he interpreted as we would give him a shot to see if he’s any good. Don’t forget he is American.

Clearly he thought if Saints wanted him they would immediately offer him a decent contract. I think he would be a good fit.

The restructure of our board and the promised continued financial backing would make us appealing. That would also go for any good manager who fans might think might not go in the championship. 
yes we have fucked up on occasion but there’s a lot going for Southampton. Still talk of new/revamped new stadium and despite some whingers a big fan base.

Yet again Rasmus is not in charge of any recruitment from now.

I think he’s another negative manager wedded to Ralph’s favoured 4-2-2-2.  I hope we steer well clear.

• Like 4

🚨4 man shortlist drawn up🚨

Southamptons new Director of Football Jason Wilcox is believed to be looking for a young up and coming coach. 

#SaintsFC

some bloke on Twitter called Martin Sanders. If true, turn the lights out 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Hear me out i have just had a beer and had a crazy thought.

What if the club keep selles ?

He came in and tried to implement a style that had worked previously rather than his own style as we didnt have time and correctly identified we cant defend being the biggest issue but couldnt stop the flood.

What if the club get rid of all the players he wants and buys players to suit his system he wants to implement. 

He has a full pre-season with those players, club loves managers who've lost, he gets more experience in the championship away from the bright lights.

I think i would back him initially if that happened, no one is a guarantee in the championship so maybe the better the devil you know (intially)

You’re right!

it is crazy.

Martin & Swansea play a pretty attractive, attacking style of football. Obviously concerns over the goals they shipped. They ended the season on a 9 game undefeated streak as well.

Edited by ecurnew02
  • Like 1

I’ve met Russell Martin - my kids were both at his academy - and mentioned him a while back, to general piss take. He’s a good man. And has a good temperament. Not sure whether he will mean immediate return but he wouldn’t be end of the world. 
potter would be my choice but guess we aren’t entertaining that one. 

Both of them might be OK but I don't really know much about them. In some ways I'd prefer an unknown with less baggage as long as they aren't a racing narcissist like Jones. I would maybe worry though that the job might be a bit big for them. Presumably we'd want then to continue in the prem if we did get promoted and we might end up with an Adkins situation again but without the ruthlessness to sack him and appoibt someone better. Obviously that's a long way down the road but given that we should have about 200 million from sales, we really should be looking for promotion straight away. 

Its impossible not to draw up parallels between Schumacher / Martin and Nathan Jones. Young, British, unproven but shown promise in the EFL. Personally, I wouldn't make an appointment this risky but Wilcox knows a lot more about football than any of us so I'd like to be proven wrong. We aren't going to get Graham Potter so the next best thing would be to try and unearth the 'next Potter or Thomas Frank'. I'd much rather one of these two guys than a Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Vieira etc...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tunit said:

Its impossible not to draw up parallels between Schumacher / Martin and Nathan Jones. Young, British, unproven but shown promise in the EFL. Personally, I wouldn't make an appointment this risky but Wilcox knows a lot more about football than any of us so I'd like to be proven wrong. We aren't going to get Graham Potter so the next best thing would be to try and unearth the 'next Potter or Thomas Frank'. I'd much rather one of these two guys than a Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Vieira etc...

So would I to be honest. I just hope they turn out to not be totally and utterly unfit to manage the team like Jones turned out to be pretty much immediately. I'd love it if we unearthed a gem rather than getting a big name in with baggage. That way it seems like we are all going on a journey like Adkins did with us. Let's make Schumacher or Martin a legend rather than simply burnishing the reputations of Lampard, Gerrard or Vieira. I do hope they are tactically solid though and can give us back a defined identity. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 4

I would go for someone with experience, we have two seasons then the parachutes run out and promotion will be a whole lot harder. We need someone who can come in who knows what it takes to get promotion and knows who to keep and who to get rid of straight away. Can we really afford to risk trying to unearth the 'next Potter or Thomas Frank’?

I’m not particularly against promising young managers, just don’t think it would be suitable at this time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

I would go for someone with experience, we have two seasons then the parachutes run out and promotion will be a whole lot harder. We need someone who can come in who knows what it takes to get promotion and knows who to keep and who to get rid of straight away. Can we really afford to risk trying to unearth the 'next Potter or Thomas Frank’?

I’m not particularly against promising young managers, just don’t think it would be suitable at this time.

Maybe but none of the experienced managers that have been suggested have been particularly exciting to me. Benitez would be a good choice imo but we obviously aren't going to go for him so it's not really worth a discussion. 

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Hear me out i have just had a beer and had a crazy thought.

What if the club keep selles ?

He came in and tried to implement a style that had worked previously rather than his own style as we didnt have time and correctly identified we cant defend being the biggest issue but couldnt stop the flood.

What if the club get rid of all the players he wants and buys players to suit his system he wants to implement. 

He has a full pre-season with those players, club loves managers who've lost, he gets more experience in the championship away from the bright lights.

I think i would back him initially if that happened, no one is a guarantee in the championship so maybe the better the devil you know (intially)

IMG_1284.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Some fans make me laugh, Deluded if you actually think a top tier manager comes down to the championship.

Fulham managed to attract Marco Silva whilst in the championship. It is possible with the expected budget we will have that we can attract a manager that’s been good at PL level previously.

I actually think our ‘strategy’ to look for up and coming managers will be the reason we don’t, rather than it being impossible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

🚨4 man shortlist drawn up🚨

Southamptons new Director of Football Jason Wilcox is believed to be looking for a young up and coming coach. 

#SaintsFC

some bloke on Twitter called Martin Sanders. If true, turn the lights out 

Sure it wasn't Semmens ?

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

...and here we go again.... trying to be clever and unearth a gem.

Watch the ST sales plummet with either. 

Yawn. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Just did a quick Google, they've both played mostly with 3/5 at the back. SR are determined for us to play that way, persistent fuckers!

Edited by Themotherfunky
Punctuation
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sure it wasn't Semmens ?

...and here we go again.... trying to be clever and unearth a gem.

Watch the ST sales plummet with either. 

Yawn. 

Who would you be going for? Genuine question, not trying to be an arse.

I suspect season ticket sales will plummet in pretty much all scenarios.

4 hours ago, manji said:

In a piss poor league. Big Ange maybe.

He flatters to deceive, Aussie media love him because he’s successful at Celtic, but like you said it’s a piss poor league. He did get my brisbane roar two premierships but with the highest budget and an even worse league than Scotland.

• Like 1

Remember seeing the Jones rumours and thinking it was throwaway agent talk and theres no way we'd appoint somebody like that.....

If we're seriously considering the Swansea and Plymouth managers then we have big problems with SR and Ankersen, sorry. I dont really care what XG or possession and final third touches their teams had, we need a manager proven at a top level - not League 1 or mid-table Championship. Quit with the niche, hipster, data driven approach to recruiting managers. If we somehow do manage to keep some of our best players in the summer, can you imagine them returning to pre season under Steven Schumacher or Russell Martin. They've already had to suffer Jones and Selles in the past 7 months ffs.

• Like 6

I don’t mind the young upcoming manager approach but you have to get it right. As soon as Jones opened his mouth at those weird press conferences it was apparent that he wasn’t equipped to manage anything at an elite level.

If Wilcox is in charge of recruitment, give it a go. Rasmus? Not so much.  

But I definitely don’t want Gerrard or Lampard. Carrick if Boro don’t go up would seem to be a better ‘famous ex-player’ option. 

• Like 4

New stadium? Fucking lol!

Got to have a half decent squad playing in it to warrant having one. 😂

Very concerned if our managerial approach is the likes of League One/Championship managers with lesser pedigree. Screams of little ambition and little pull for a player if you’re looking to get anyone to come to us.

This is exactly the kind of place you can rebuild your reputation or build it up on your CV, but to fail with financial backing is an absolute disaster for the club and a PR disaster for Sport Republic. 

They can’t afford another disaster!!

Theres no other option other than to pay for experience and back said manager, rather than pay peanuts for someone average, untried, risky, and with little to no pull for players or fan backing.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

New stadium? Fucking lol!

Got to have a half decent squad playing in it to warrant having one. 😂

Very concerned if our managerial approach is the likes of League One/Championship managers with lesser pedigree. Screams of little ambition and little pull for a player if you’re looking to get anyone to come to us.

This is exactly the kind of place you can rebuild your reputation or build it up on your CV, but to fail with financial backing is an absolute disaster for the club and a PR disaster for Sport Republic. 

They can’t afford another disaster!!

Theres no other option other than to pay for experience and back said manager, rather than pay peanuts for someone average, untried, risky, and with little to no pull for players or fan backing.

This is utter bollocks.

Firstly the idea that we need pull in the Championship when we’re one of the 3 teams to come down from the Prem is ridiculousl. The idea that we pull should be a priority when we’ve lacked any decent progressive coaching for 2 years minimum is also ridiculous. 

And ‘no other option than to pay for experience’ is just madness. What you’ll find with experience is a very clear ceiling. There’s very few experienced managers we could attract that have potential to grow into a PL manager and haven’t already failed somewhere. To rule out talented managers because they are relatively new to the role is genuinely the most depressing idea of all. Would much rather we went into next season with a manger who we think might be great rather than one we know is not. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

This is utter bollocks.

Firstly the idea that we need pull in the Championship when we’re one of the 3 teams to come down from the Prem is ridiculousl. The idea that we pull should be a priority when we’ve lacked any decent progressive coaching for 2 years minimum is also ridiculous. 

And ‘no other option than to pay for experience’ is just madness. What you’ll find with experience is a very clear ceiling. There’s very few experienced managers we could attract that have potential to grow into a PL manager and haven’t already failed somewhere. To rule out talented managers because they are relatively new to the role is genuinely the most depressing idea of all. Would much rather we went into next season with a manger who we think might be great rather than one we know is not. 

I think most fans would rather we paid out for your Graham Potter’s than your Nathan Jones’.

Equally a club that wants to push for promotion immediately needs players to do this.
With a culling and rebuild of an entire squad you need a calibre and level of player to do this.

You will attract a better player, whether it be a promising Championship player or a decent Premier League player dropping down by having a Graham Potter rather than a Nathan Jones.

🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think most fans would rather we paid out for your Graham Potter’s than your Nathan Jones’.

Equally a club that wants to push for promotion immediately needs players to do this.
With a culling and rebuild of an entire squad you need a calibre and level of player to do this.

You will attract a better player, whether it be a promising Championship player or a decent Premier League player dropping down by having a Graham Potter rather than a Nathan Jones.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Haha okay, it’s just I’m having a look at the teams promoted quickly from the PL and not seeing any ‘paid out for’ superstar manager on the list. But you keep saying cliche stuff

Also keep getting angry at a shortlist A) you only know half of B) you don’t actually know exists. 

Edited by Fabrice29

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

How do you know that Potter hasn't already said he's not interested? 

• Like 1

The Plymouth manager is clearly in the way up. As said elsewhere, what plymouth achieved this season has been outstanding in what is their managers first full season as one.

They are wedded to 3 at the back though....

My view, too soon for a team under pressure from the off to return immediately to the prem, but Schumacher is one to watch for sure. Even keeping Plymouth from finishing last in the champ would be an achievement IMO.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1