New Manager Thread v3

Dman

44 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Surely Wilcox has someone locked in already and are just waiting to announce it once the season is done.

He will at least have a small shortlist. The beauty of it we have enough money to entice a top flight manager. For example Saints would be a great opportunity for someone like Potter.

As I keep saying that’s not even including any players we sell.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You are assuming that the laws of common sense apply to SFC.

Give it a break the amount of clubs in the EPL that have underperformed this season in mental.

Big picture the only teams that come out with any credit are Brentford and Brighton.

Everton are are a total clusterfuck debted to the extreme. Half built new stadium well behind schedule.

Genuinepossibility of going broke.

Look at Chelsea FFS now they are a laughing stock.

There’s no way SR are asset stripping. Our failure next season will demolish their multi club model. That won’t be allowed to happen.

Nice bloke but ignore Adam Blackmore the purge includes his special status with the club the amount of times he had to asked cutting questions and failed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Give it a break the amount of clubs in the EPL that have underperformed this season in mental.

Big picture the only teams that come out with any credit are Brentford and Brighton.

Everton are are a total clusterfuck debted to the extreme. Half built new stadium well behind schedule.

There’s no way SR are asset stripping. Our failure next season will demolish their multi club model. That won’t be allowed to happen.

Nice bloke but ignore Adam Blackmore the purge includes his special status with the club the amount of times he had to asked cutting questions and failed.

Fulham too. Plus I doubt anyone expected Arsenal to be giving City and Haaland a good run for their money.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Should do everything we can to bring in Potter. It's a great opportunity for him to rebuild his career after his awful stint at Chelsea.

There will be a managerial merry go round this summer you'd think, as Chelsea, Spurs, Saints, Leeds, Leicester, Bournemouth (maybe), Poss West Ham (Maybe), Forest (Maybe) will probably all be looking for new managers.

There are plenty out of work atm: 

• Luis Enrique
  • Zidane
  • Pochettino
  • Conte
  • Villas Boas
  • De Boer
  • Nagalsmann
  • Van Bronkhorst
  • Vitor Pereira
  • Cannavaro
  • Gallardo
  • Low
  • Lage
  • Thorup
  • Rodgers
  • Potter
  • Benitez
  • Gracia
  • Ralph
  • Vieira
  • Bielsa
  • Marsch
  • Struber
  • Sanchez-Flores
  • Garrido
  • Hoefkens
  • Hutter
  • Favre

Plus a load of others...

Potter is my first choice. Could be perfect for him and for us. He got Brighton from nowhere playing very attacking style. O for the days when that was our style....not just Ron Davies Mike Channon Martin Chivers but also Phil Boyer, George O'Bryan, Derek Reeves and of course Steve Moran all in the steps of Charlie Wayman, we've always had goalscorers. Potter is my choice to bring back style. Chelsea was overloaded with millionaire egos, not his fault they were so bloated. He wouldn't have that trouble here. He wore the red and white a few times,  he must know he is the perfect fit. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, manji said:

He will at least have a small shortlist. The beauty of it we have enough money to entice a top flight manager. For example Saints would be a great opportunity for someone like Potter.

As I keep saying that’s not even including any players we sell.

Do you think the bigger attraction despite being in the championship is that we afford the manager to re-build the side in his image with a potentially a lot of money to spend.

Not too many clubs clean out majority of the squad and can start from scratch - reminds me when palace let everyone go on free's and rebuilt. 

Thats gotta be quite sexy for a manager, that alone i could see potter going for it and as others have said being in the championship holds no fears for him and god even Benetiz and Biesla managed there, am sure he can as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The chance of Potter coming here is almost zero. Can see the likes of Palace and West Ham targeting him in the summer. They are a much more attractive option than us.

Palace have already announced who their manager will be next season.. spoiler, it’s not potter. 

1 hour ago, manji said:

The only thing mental is a PL club appointing Nathan fucking Jones and then Ruben Selles when we’re in a relegation battle. 

That’s on Rasmus. So I would question the laws of common sense, it doesn’t seem like he has any. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, manji said:

Can you explain what you mean about Blackmore? The club want him to ask tougher questions?

13 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Do you think the bigger attraction despite being in the championship is that we afford the manager to re-build the side in his image with a potentially a lot of money to spend.

Not too many clubs clean out majority of the squad and can start from scratch - reminds me when palace let everyone go on free's and rebuilt. 

Thats gotta be quite sexy for a manager, that alone i could see potter going for it and as others have said being in the championship holds no fears for him and god even Benetiz and Biesla managed there, am sure he can as well.

This is interesting because we've actually got quite a lot of players who you could reasonably hold onto and think they would be quite good in the Championship. Obviously we'll lose our top players but could easily keep Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, Bree, Tino, S Armstrong, A Armstrong, Sulemana, Onuachu, Edozie, Mara, maybe Perraud

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Can you explain what you mean about Blackmore? The club want him to ask tougher questions?

No because he’s lost his cosiness with most of the departed directors. He won’t be privy to some of the news.

He rarely asked the rarely asked any cutting questions.

54 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Saints , leeds and Leicester all but relegated . All will want to come straight back up , so getting a decent manager will not be easy !

We have far more money than the other two

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dman said:

The only thing mental is a PL club appointing Nathan fucking Jones and then Ruben Selles when we’re in a relegation battle. 

That’s on Rasmus. So I would question the laws of common sense, it doesn’t seem like he has any. 

Don’t disagree but we are not the only club that has had a poor season. Admittedly can’t get worse than bottom of the league for what seems like the whole season though😳.

we’ve got to move on. Potentially could well be an exciting season. As I keep on saying Rasmus is not responsible for recruitment from now on.

It wasnt the plan for him to do recruitment this season. He’s a clever guy but clearly became far ahead of himself. You really can’t excuse Nathan Jones.

15 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

That’s exactly what I mean 

• Like 2

Any manager in a job, where we have to pay compensation - No Thanks (how well did that work with mad Nate!)

Any largely unknown manager from a foreign league that's had a modicum of success abroad - No Thanks (too high risk)

So, in order of preference:

1. Potter, nice chance to rebuild his reputation under not too much pressure
  2. Viera, seems to command respect and plays a good attacking style of football
  3. Brendan Rogers, great man manager, very experienced and has mostly been successful

No thanks - still relying on experience as a good player but unproven as a manager:

• Lampard
  • Gerrard
  • Rooney

Outlier: James Milner as player-manager

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dell McDellFace said:

Any manager in a job, where we have to pay compensation - No Thanks (how well did that work with mad Nate!)

Any largely unknown manager from a foreign league that's had a modicum of success abroad - No Thanks (too high risk)

3. Brendan Rogers, great man manager, very experienced and has mostly been successful

No thanks - still relying on experience as a good player but unproven as a manager:

• Lampard
  • Gerrard
  • Rooney

Milner just signed for a year at Brighton.

A name to throw in hat Jon Dahl Tomasson now at Blackburn done ok 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Jon Dahl Tomasson would be a good fit . Plays 4 2 3 1 formation i believe .

We don't want anyone that is known for a particular formation. That has been the problem for the last 2/3 years. We need a progressive thinker who isn't prdictable and is open to change when it's needed.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 3

I thought James Milner a while back, when people were discussing Lampard, Gerrard & Rooney. Personally, I’d rather have Adam Lallana than any of those 3. That’s not to say I’d want him as first choice, only that I’d take him & Milner over the 3 England “stars”. 

I’ve seen a lot of posts stating “let’s get someone in early” or from the day the season ends. That discounts a few who are likely to lose their jobs, Cooper for one,  if Forest are relegated (wouldn’t surprise me if he went after keeping them up either).

Personally, I don’t think Potter is realistic, if I was his agent I’d advise him to sit tight,  De Zerbi is in demand so a return to Brighton could open up and then there’s Leicester & possibly West Ham. 

1 hour ago, Dell McDellFace said:

Not sure any of these are coming to us this summer.

If you have had recent `success' in the Prem, but obviously were sacked, you don't then immediately drop down to the Championship. You sit tight until another Prem job comes along...which it will...because, as we found out, finding a manager capable of looking after a top flight side isn't easy. Chairman want to employ people that have been there and done it.  

I saw the (recently promoted) Dundee manager, Gary Bowyer, just quit his job. Probably for the Blackpool job so as to move back to down south. I mention it only because our friend WGS is the technical director there and will be selecting the next manager.

1 hour ago, Dell McDellFace said:

• Lampard
  • Gerrard
  • Rooney

How is Viera any different to Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Are you genuinely asking how Viera is different to Lampard or Rooney?

Yes. They've all had good spells but plenty of failures too and are living off their reputations as players 

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dell McDellFace said:

• Lampard
  • Gerrard
  • Rooney

Milner is going to Brighton, I heard

2 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Jon Dahl Tomasson would be a good fit . Plays 4 2 3 1 formation i believe .

Didn't he and Blackburn go months without winning? 

Carrick, Mowbray and Carlos Corberán all seem fairly interesting options to me. Corberán only recently signed a long term contract mind and the others will need to wait for the result of the play-offs. 

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Given how utter utter utter utter utter shit we have been on throw ins over the last 2 yrs maybe the new coach can get this guy whose just left liverpool on to consult.

xTiUp you say?

Curious on our stats in this important measure am I.

I said that in a Zoidberg voice, not Yoda. In case you were wondering.