4 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

The next manager must fit the following criteria:

• Played at the international level
  • Already won promotion as a manager in a top 10 league
  • Already won domestic silverware as a manager in a top 10 league

Okay, I give up.... who will it be ?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we do somehow stay up would people be happy for Selles to stay on?

If he keeps this shower up then he would have done a good gob, no one could deny that. I guess if there is someone out there available and wanting the job whose got a great cv then it might make sense to change but if someone is doing a good job it rarely makes sense to sack them.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

If he keeps this shower up then he would have done a good gob, no one could deny that. I guess if there is someone out there available and wanting the job whose got a great cv then it might make sense to change but if someone is doing a good job it rarely makes sense to sack them.

If he does keep us up, surely he deserves to keep the job. Would be extremely harsh if not.

Assuming SR continue to advance the multi club model I'd take a punt on Matthias Jaissle from RB salzburg, not sure we could get him as he's been linked to frankfurt and manages in champs league etc but he plays the playbook way, had success.

I actually think it will be very hard to find the right guy, assuming we go down we want a premier league manager for 1 season in the championship (hopefully).

Need someone with insane confidence in their skills who love the dollar bills.

11 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If he does keep us up, surely he deserves to keep the job. Would be extremely harsh if not.

He won’t keep us up though will he. We are gone and have been for ages.

Tactically naive, wouldn’t know best 11 look at last week Aribo starts after no game time this week was Armstrong turn.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 11:51, FarehamSaintJames said:

SR will have to pay out for a decent manager this time. They can’t afford to fuck up so spectacularly again.

If they admit their mistakes on the back of this season and get a competent manager in then it’ll change a lot of peoples opinions of them very quickly.

We already had a decent manager in Ralph, all the names I see suggested are considerable downgrades. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We already had a decent manager in Ralph, all the names I see suggested are considerable downgrades. 

Must be why after 6 months of being unemployed, with multiple job opportunities, he still finds himself without a job. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

Ralph had a very poor 2022. What was it? Had Saints 90th out of 92? He'd run out of steam by the end of the last season. The big mistake was in not replacing him with someone competent back then.

Anyone with half a brain cell can see that’s the case. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 20:46, Killers Knee said:

ChatGPT thinks this - Id take Bielsa.

One football manager who fits all of the criteria you mentioned is Roberto Martinez.

He managed the Belgium national team and had a successful career as a player in the English Premier League with clubs such as Wigan Athletic and Swansea City.

As a manager, Martinez has won promotion to the Premier League with Swansea City and Wigan Athletic, and has also won domestic silverware with Wigan Athletic when they won the FA Cup in 2013. Martinez also managed Everton and is currently managing the portugese national team.

Other possible options include Brendan Rodgers, who has played for the Northern Ireland national team and has won domestic silverware with Celtic and Leicester City in the Scottish Premiership and English Premier League respectively.

Another option is Marcelo Bielsa, who has managed both Argentina and Chile national teams and has won promotion with both Newell's Old Boys and Athletic Bilbao and managed Leeds United in the English Premier League.

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

One football manager who fits all of the criteria you mentioned is Roberto Martinez.

Other possible options include Brendan Rodgers, who has played for the Northern Ireland national team and has won domestic silverware with Celtic and Leicester City in the Scottish Premiership and English Premier League respectively.

Another option is Marcelo Bielsa, who has managed both Argentina and Chile national teams and has won promotion with both Newell's Old Boys and Athletic Bilbao and managed Leeds United in the English Premier League.

Although I’ve not been a fan of his in the past, I’ve come round to thinking Rodgers would be a good appointment for us.

Unlikely to happen though as he’s bound to wait until Spurs, West Ham jobs are filled before lowering his sights. Also, you’d expect his and Rasmus to be a clash of egos.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He managed the Belgium national team and had a successful career as a player in the English Premier League with clubs such as Wigan Athletic and Swansea City.

As a manager, Martinez has won promotion to the Premier League with Swansea City and Wigan Athletic, and has also won domestic silverware with Wigan Athletic when they won the FA Cup in 2013. Martinez also managed Everton and is currently managing the portugese national team.

Dream on old chap, dream on.

Did you tell ChatGPT that we will be a Championship club next season and our cloth will have to be cut to suit.

It's not a question of who we would like it's more who we can get.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Just like Poch? 

There’s probably 6 - 10 team globally which would interest Poch. Those jobs come up far less frequent than the level in which Hassemhuttl would be looking at. 

Villa, wolves, Leeds, Palace, Leicester, Everton have all changed managers in recent months, in the PL alone. Ralph hasn’t been in with a sniff of any of them. 

so no, nothing like Poch. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

None of these are coming to manage us in the championship. 

Edited by Dman

On 18/04/2023 at 19:49, CB Fry said:
1 hour ago, Dman said:

Must be why after 6 months of being unemployed, with multiple job opportunities, he still finds himself without a job. 

Personally, I will be surprised to see RH take another job anywhere. He made the comment about retiring after his contract had run it's course here....a comment that a lot on here seem to think contributed to the start of our downfall. Ralph looked a beaten man at the end of his tenure here, so i wouldn't mind betting that his departure from Saints brought his retirement date slightlty forward.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Personally, I will be surprised to see RH take another job anywhere. He made the comment about retiring after his contract had run it's course here....a comment that a lot on here seem to think contributed to the start of our downfall. Ralph looked a beaten man at the end of his tenure here, so i wouldn't mind betting that his departure from Saints brought his retirement date slightlty forward.

Good on him, retiring at the top of his game.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Bielsa has taken the Uruguayan job. He'd have been ace.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, obelisk said:

Ralph had a very poor 2022. What was it? Had Saints 90th out of 92? He'd run out of steam by the end of the last season. The big mistake was in not replacing him with someone competent back then.

Funny how "run out of steam" corresponds perfect to us not having a fit or available Danny ings/broja and having bad injuries throughout the side. But yes, despite still achieving good performance metrics with what he had available this year, he did look a beaten man at the end. I suspect turning around and looking at Adam Armstrong, Moi, Aribo, Walcott, and Che Adams in the fruitless and desperate hope of finding someone to covert the plethora of chances we were creating would do that to most managers. Would certainly turn me into a very desperate and stressed out man if my job and saints depended on it.... The first mistake, as has always been the case, was clearly not buying him (or whoever was manager) the requisite attackers in the summer, and then the lavia injury (and lack of cdm cover) really did for him - when paired with the Tino, KWP, and ABK injuries. No attack, a weak midfield, and a badly weakened defence.

The second mistake was (having kept ralph over the summer), we bottled seeing it through and sacked him for Jones and a half wasted transfer window. Reality is that Ralph would most likely have had us mid table given the additional backing, the mid season break, and the overall quality of the league.

Given the grand plan was to always hire Jones, its a bloody good thing they didn't sack Ralph in the summer...

Hopefully he's enjoying a nice break away from football with his family and is recovering his mental well being, because he deserves it. Was a great servant for the club and hopefully comes back and gets a warm reception one day.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 14

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Funny how "run out of steam" corresponds perfect to us not having a fit or available Danny ings/broja and having bad injuries throughout the side. But yes, despite still achieving good performance metrics with what he had available this year, he did look a beaten man at the end. I suspect turning around and looking at Adam Armstrong, Moi, Aribo, Walcott, and Che Adams in the fruitless and desperate hope of finding someone to covert the plethora of chances we were creating would do that to most managers. Would certainly turn me into a very desperate and stressed out man if my job and saints depended on it.... The first mistake, as has always been the case, was clearly not buying him (or whoever was manager) the requisite attackers in the summer, and then the lavia injury (and lack of cdm cover) really did for him - when paired with the Tino, KWP, and ABK injuries. No attack, a weak midfield, and a badly weakened defence.

The second mistake was (having kept ralph over the summer), we bottled seeing it through and sacked him for Jones and a half wasted transfer window. Reality is that Ralph would most likely have had us mid table given the additional backing, the mid season break, and the overall quality of the league.

Given the grand plan was to always hire Jones, its a bloody good thing they didn't sack Ralph in the summer...

Hopefully he's enjoying a nice break away from football with his family and is recovering his mental well being, because he deserves it. Was a great servant for the club and hopefully comes back and gets a warm reception one day.

Having read the Maitland-Niles snippets about Ralph the thought occurred to me that they might be softening us up for Ralph's return. Surely not. They wouldn't. Would they?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Having read the Maitland-Niles snippets about Ralph the thought occurred to me that they might be softening us up for Ralph's return. Surely not. They wouldn't. Would they?

Why not?

Next season we have a whole new bunch of grounds to go to and bore the home fans to death with our sideways and backwards passing.

That shit isn't just reserved for the PL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/04/2023 at 22:46, Killers Knee said:

I was going to say top 9, but top 10 is OK.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Always somebody else's fault. Heard it all before.

11 minutes ago, manji said:

Big Ange from Celtic. He’s an ambitious man . We still have a lot of money and the opportunity for a quick return to the Premier League.

Ange has no challenge in the SPL.

I suspect he'll want the challenge of Champions League football though, even if they don't make it out of the group stage.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Although I’ve not been a fan of his in the past, I’ve come round to thinking Rodgers would be a good appointment for us.

Unlikely to happen though as he’s bound to wait until Spurs, West Ham jobs are filled before lowering his sights. Also, you’d expect his and Rasmus to be a clash of egos.

If you can be bothered, go and have a read of the thread on Foxes Talk about Brendan Rodgers. I had no idea quite how disliked he was by their fans, he makes Nathan Jones seem like a god amongst Saints fans.
They hated his team selections, formation, stye of football, signings, personality.... everything basically. And thats not just one or two of the more vocal fans, its pretty much all of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, St Louis said:

If you can be bothered, go and have a read of the thread on Foxes Talk about Brendan Rodgers. I had no idea quite how disliked he was by their fans, he makes Nathan Jones seem like a god amongst Saints fans.
They hated his team selections, formation, stye of football, signings, personality.... everything basically. And thats not just one or two of the more vocal fans, its pretty much all of them. 

He went a bit stale, but they'd be stupid to look back on his tenure with anything other than happy memories. This is Leicester we are talking about, under his tenure they got into Europe 3 years in a row (almost the Champions league) and won the FA Cup.

Their recruitment and finances hit a bit of a dead-end in recent years, as shown by the signings of Vestergaard and Bertrand, but I'm genuinely surprised at how much hate they had for him. Be careful what you wish for springs to mind there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I bet they weren't saying that when they were pushing for top 4! They are short of cash and the squad has slowly weakened as a result along with Vardy getting old.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jasonbenali said:

I bet they weren't saying that when they were pushing for top 4! They are short of cash and the squad has slowly weakened as a result along with Vardy getting old.

Yep, the Saints story all over again. They also have an almost copy-cat identical stadium. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

No way he comes back surely. He never struck me as the kind of man to go back to someone that binned him off. As others have said, he'll either take a holiday job for a bit, or he'll make good on his intention to retire and enjoy life with his wife.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dman said:

Knowing about his situation he wanted time out the game. Also his no 2 was having a hip op and also wanted time out the game. So no doubt they’ll be back when the right opportunity comes along.

8 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

If only Rasmus had chatGPT last summer..............actually I'm 100% sure chatGPT could do a better job than MadNate and Selles combined.

Edited by Killers Knee
  • Haha 1