New Manager Thread v3

Dman

20 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The board are not accepting relegation as we speak and I was told we are looking at a temp for the last few games.

Should hear something in the next few days if all goes well.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed it’s not someone picked by Rasmus. 

And if the board aren’t accepting relegation, they should have done a better job recruiting players and managers. If we go down they have themselves to blame and I hope we will see some drastic changes. 

• Like 1

I’m finding it so funny reading people’s suggestions for a new manager on Twitter. 🤣

There’s one guy that’s just suggested Jose Fonte - pretty sure he’s slagged off the club most recently for the appointments of inexperienced Prem managers in Jones and Selles. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Then again if you read through his tweets, his Saints views are extremely bizarre 🤣

Other names touted by others include Scott Parker, Franny Benali, some foreign manager from Scandinavia, the current Luton manager - hilariously. 😅

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The board are not accepting relegation as we speak and I was told we are looking at a temp for the last few games.

Fingers crossed.

I honestly doubt this entirely. 

It’ll still be the same crap playing every week. 

I suggest the board get their heads out of their backside and acknowledge that this season is a monumental fuck up.

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

Oh crap. I heard it on the radio yesterday and thought they said Davenport.

Oh well, maybe we should give this Davidson guy a shot, can't do much worse than the others.

I've always thought Callum Davidson was a ringer for a young Neil Shipperley.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik/0/wettbewerb_id/alle/land_id/0/seit/0/spielklasse/alle/punkteschnitt/0-3

Available coaches listed. Zidane for me, maybe Nagelsmann at a pinch. Very worst case scenario I'd take Conte, Bielsa or Villas-Boas. Well why not aim high!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Fingers crossed.

Throw enough shit, some will stick eventually. What a bloody mess of a club we are at the minute. 

Id imagine seeing the way Roy has turned palace around, was a bit of an eye opener for the club. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Whoever is in charge next season I hope they bring an attack coach in to work with the forwards. 

James Beattie the obvious one that springs to mind but the key is to let the new manager pick his own backroom staff not the club because ultimately the manager has to trust those around him and they have to be onboard with his style and tactics. 

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Fingers crossed.

Possibly too little, too late. The Board probably hamstrung themselves by the quick announcement of Selles taking over till the end of the season.

Trouble with this gamble, if it happens, is that the new man won't have long to impose his style/tactics.

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Oh no, what a shame…

What a coach Selles was… or that’s what saints twitter would make you believe. honestly you appoint Jones and everyone’s angry, you appoint SELLES and apparently he’s some god who the players love and is a great coach..? based off nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m finding it so funny reading people’s suggestions for a new manager on Twitter. 🤣

There’s one guy that’s just suggested Jose Fonte - pretty sure he’s slagged off the club most recently for the appointments of inexperienced Prem managers in Jones and Selles. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Then again if you read through his tweets, his Saints views are extremely bizarre 🤣

Other names touted by others include Scott Parker, Franny Benali, some foreign manager from Scandinavia, the current Luton manager - hilariously. 😅

Why do you think Scott Parker is hilarious? Unlike other possibilities he actually has a track record of promotion from the Championship.

On 15/04/2023 at 20:16, Weston Super Saint said:

It's great that people are coming up with a list of names of managers who have experience and may be just what we need.

But... We need to bear in mind the reality that they probably aren't going to be attracted to us. To put some perspective on it, the guy fired from Leeds for being dog shit turned us down....

You've got the wrong "but" here Weston... the "but" you're after is "Rasmus"... 😭

For me, we need to go out a get a statement manager for the level, someone with a clear and effective style of play, preferably attacking. If we can attract someone like Potter, Gallardo, Knutson etc then it would be superb... but equally i think its a reach. But who knows, stranger things have happened - and there has been so much churn in the premier league this season that there may not actually be many top level jobs available come the summer.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

What a coach Selles was… or that’s what saints twitter would make you believe. honestly you appoint Jones and everyone’s angry, you appoint SELLES and apparently he’s some god who the players love and is a great coach..? based off nothing. 

TBF did you hear KWP s interview hyping up Selles before the Brentford game, he had stars in his eyes

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If it's a temp we're going for then probably be someone like Nigel Adkins who the fans would want (although probably wouldn't be the answer)

Who on earth would come here knowing we're probably down and would only be in charge for a handful of games?

If we can sell the project of rebuilding the squad and be serious about coming straight back up, despite relegation we would still be an attractive proposition for a decent manager. An ideal position for someone who also needs to build up a reputation again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Fingers crossed.

Sounds like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Horse is long gone so far too late to bolt the stable door.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Sounds like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. Horse is long gone so far too late to bolt the stable door.

Remarkable isn't it...I thought spots republic are like Venkeys....if this happens, will have outdone the Watford owners..

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would laugh long and hard if we brought someone like fat sam in and by some miracle we stayed up. It obviously isn't going to happen as we are down already but football is so weird. 

Would be such an un-Rasmus appointment, so would be great if it actually worked.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would be such an un-Rasmus appointment, so would be great if it actually worked.

I don't know about that. BFS is all about the numbers of football. Wasn't he one of the early pioneers and worked out where to position attacking/defensive players for set pieces etc based on percentage ball drops and chance opportunities etc.

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Pretty sure Beattie has been trying to get back in to the club for a little while now so wouldn't be shocked if it was him and Monk. 

Really? 

Why on earth would that happen? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Another new manager? 

Christ, the board are proper going into panic and desperation mode now.

Good .. it’s about time .. if we keep selles we are absolutely concrete stone cold dead ..

Let’s at least try to survive no matter how unlikely.. hopefully get on someone that utilises the new signings and gets away from that shitty 442 slow build up Ralphball crap too 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Good .. it’s about time .. if we keep selles we are absolutely concrete stone cold dead ..

Let’s at least try to survive no matter how unlikely.. hopefully get on someone that utilises the new signings and gets away from that shitty 442 slow build up Ralphball crap too 

I wonder if they realise that season tickets renewals are due and how many will renew with Selles?

Going by the shitshow this year and not one correct decision this board have made I doubt it too.

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I wonder if they realise that season tickets renewals are due and how many will renew with Selles?

Going by the shitshow this year and not one correct decision this board have made I doubt it too.

I'm not saying this to get on any sort of high horse as this is my own personal opinion.....i'll be renewing regardless as surely that's what fans (who can afford to AND can get to the games easily enough) do? I may be in the minority in saying this, but being a saints fan has never been easy but part of being a fan of this club is enjoying the highs and the lows. 

I'd be amazed if we bin off Selles, and is it really going to make much difference ultimately? If we were a win from safety and had a good run (5/6) of very winnable games coming up then perhaps. 

• Like 1

Jones was a dreadful appointment but at least I could see the thought process. SR thought they could see something in him that no one else saw. OK, they got that totally wrong, and fairly quickly they ditched him. 

For me Selles was the really stupid decision. Pretty much every team at the bottom who sack their manager goes for someone with experience. Dyche, Big Sam, Roy etc etc. But not us, oh no. We again think we can buck the trend by appointing a man who was not, and never had been a manager. So zero experience. 

Even then I remember a lot of fans who were delighted because he said a few good things about togetherness and he wore a suit. 

Pretty quickly it became clear that he has no real idea and is out of his depth. The only thing I'll say is that we could appoint Pep and even he can't do anything about our players who just can't finish any chances. Selles might be a good manager eventually but to put him into this situation was a ridiculous decision. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

I'm not saying this to get on any sort of high horse as this is my own personal opinion.....i'll be renewing regardless as surely that's what fans (who can afford to AND can get to the games easily enough) do? I may be in the minority in saying this, but being a saints fan has never been easy but part of being a fan of this club is enjoying the highs and the lows. 

I'd be amazed if we bin off Selles, and is it really going to make much difference ultimately? If we were a win from safety and had a good run (5/6) of very winnable games coming up then perhaps. 

I am more likely to renew when we go down

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

James Beattie the obvious one that springs to mind but the key is to let the new manager pick his own backroom staff not the club because ultimately the manager has to trust those around him and they have to be onboard with his style and tactics. 

Why is James Beattie the ‘obvious choice’ ? I’m sick of the pandering around getting ex players/managers of some description as if they come with some extra ability

What coaching credentials does a bang average ex prem striker have over what we already have ?

I want the club to go out next year, do a proper job with the analytics and find us a capable management team that fits the clubs current models (to an extent)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

If its not bullshit, which it probably is ..someone like Chris Wilder would do me for 6 games ...bit more direct football and passion is what we need at this stage of season ....not stats ,red zones and no strikers!

The guy currently struggling at Watford?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pilchards said:

The board are not accepting relegation as we speak

Doesn't matter - the players and fans did the moment they hired Jones.

Too late to turn the tide now. Half the squad have already planned their escape and are just going through the motions. 

23 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Why is James Beattie the ‘obvious choice’ ? I’m sick of the pandering around getting ex players/managers of some description as if they come with some extra ability

What coaching credentials does a bang average ex prem striker have over what we already have ?

I want the club to go out next year, do a proper job with the analytics and find us a capable management team that fits the clubs current models (to an extent)

James Beattie bang average ex prem striker? 🤯 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

Why do you think Scott Parker is hilarious? Unlike other possibilities he actually has a track record of promotion from the Championship.

You are usually quite sensible!!!! Ask Fulham and Cherries fans about him. He is the Mr useless with a smart suit

• Like 1

I wonder us getting of the likes of Kelvin Davis etc was not such a smart move. He loved the club and instilled a grit and determination. He certiainly made it clear to the squad how important our club was.

Iam not saying him for manager Lol.