Saints fan that collapsed at Rotherham game passes away

markr27

Apologies if this is a duplicated post but sad to read today that the fan that collapsed during the Rotherham game in October, passed away last week.
An inquest into his death has been opened and will be heard next year.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/southampton-fc-fan-dies-falling-092341105.html

I would post the Daily Echo link, but you have to pay to read the article.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, ant said:

Very sad news. Although I'm unsure which metric they're using to measure the medical team's response as 'quick'.

Exactly. From where I was watching from the Chapel it took ages for the stewards to do anything, and we were well into half-time before the medics arrived.

41 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Exactly. From where I was watching from the Chapel it took ages for the stewards to do anything, and we were well into half-time before the medics arrived.

The fact the Rotherham keeper had to try to stop the game tells you how slow the response was. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

The fact the Rotherham keeper had to try to stop the game tells you how slow the response was. 

Reckon someone will get in trouble for this. As you say even the players were trying to draw attention to it but nothing was happening, referee carried on, stewards were slow as f*ck.

RIP to him, i've always shuddered at the thought of leaving your family, going through your usual match day routine, full of optimism and satisfaction, and never going home or seeing your loved ones again. 

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Reckon someone will get in trouble for this. As you say even the players were trying to draw attention to it but nothing was happening, referee carried on, stewards were slow as f*ck.

RIP to him, i've always shuddered at the thought of leaving your family, going through your usual match day routine, full of optimism and satisfaction, and never going home or seeing your loved ones again. 

Yes. Although I think I'd probably take comfort from them doing something they loved as they died. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warsash saint said:

In my eyes that makes him nothing less than a hero. Choosing the hardest decision, in the knowledge he’d help strangers, doesn’t get better than that from a person. 
The club should try and recognise him and what he’s done there. Maybe a plaque on his seat (if he had a season ticket) or something in collaboration with the family 

• Like 10

That story has genuinely blown me away.

Sorry to pick this out of what is an incredible story but; 

Play was paused for ten minutes while CPR was administered.

Was it!? I seem to remember the Rotherham keeper going nuts at the ref trying to get the game stopped, I don't remember the game stopping at all.

Edited by Saint_clark

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That story has genuinely blown me away.

Sorry to pick this out of what is an incredible story but; 

Was it!? I seem to remember the Rotherham keeper going nuts at the ref trying to get the game stopped, I don't remember the game stopping at all.

IIRC, play wasn't stopped as such, but the half time break was extended by 10 minutes.