Female Football Pundits

AlexLaw76

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hahahahahaha, fucking hell Joey. 

Look, I dislike women's football. Women are obviously allowed to play football, and happy for them to commentate and pundit their own game, but I do find the game to be very poor quality, and with the commentary and noise from the stand makes it quite unwatchable. But then, I don't think it's for me. I don't really watch any women's sport tbh, because when I have it's a little like watching amateur men. Again, nothing against them doing it, but I just don't enjoy it. 

This is a bit far though, Joey is just trying to get attention! 

Edited by Farmer Saint

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Hahahahahaha, fucking hell Joey. 

Look, I dislike women's football. Women are obviously allowed to play football, and happy for them to commentate and pundit their own game, but I do find the game to be very poor quality, and with the commentary and noise from the stand makes it quite unwatchable. But then, I don't think it's for me. I don't really watch any women's sport tbh, because when I have it's a little like watching amateur men. Again, nothing against them doing it, but I just don't enjoy it. 

This is a bit far though, Joey is just trying to get attention! 

The bit about the extra exposure for the teams kits and sponsors, the getting more revenue from advertising at half time, maybe he's right though?

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The bit about the extra exposure for the teams kits and sponsors, the getting more revenue from advertising at half time, maybe he's right though?

Football isn't that joined up to undertake this conspiracy. There's hardly any talk at half time of an ITV game, its all adverts already. And there's loads of women on the beeb. 

Womens football is on because it's a cheap schedule filler.

I wish he was right, but he’s not. It’s not about advertising or revenue the people who make decisions actually believe what they’re doing is right. They’re good people, they don’t care if viewing figures are down, they don’t care if they’ve ruined iconic shows, they’re just a bunch of soft arsed S🤡ggys who have politicised coverage of the game. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

He's a poor lamb. It's a conspiracy to get more women's voices on the commentary, doing him out a job. But that's all part of a bigger plan to then remove the women's voices on commentary to put on more ads, doing him out a job again. A double conspiracy, depriving him of a livelihood. A living that he'd be sure of getting...assuming people overlooked him being a bellend.

As mentioned above, there's already as little half time chat as possible, to fit more ads in. Ad revenue is even more sought after than ever. No conspiracy. They just want to make more money. It'll help to offset the cost of the rights for a start.

I imagine the Beeb can't believe their luck at the popularity of women's football. Lower cost rights; accessible players who interview well; Ticking as many diversity boxes as they've got; opportunities for lots of female pundits and commentators, who they will then mix across other platforms. No conspiracy there either. Cheaper, popular, diverse. Also allows them to make a lot more pace after decades of sexism too. Other broadcasters will be following the same route. The number of diverse appointments in recent times to offset what was there before has been covered elsewhere. And always good to be wary of the folk LD points out.

Good times for the shirt sponsors too. Making the most of their investment by having lots of WSL coverage.

I enjoy watching women's football. I'm as likely to watch a WSL game as a Premier League game, since we're not in it. I've learned which links are for men's and women's on the BBC site, and ignore the worst of the bandwagon jumping idiots, which everything has. I quite like having the extra coverage.

I don't mind female commentators, in that there's just as much range of quality, so overall just as annoying, as the male ones. I generally avoid as much as I can.

Would Barton do a better job than some of the commentators of either gender*? Maybe to probably. Are any of them toxic village idiots? Not that I know of. Which is why he's moaning on tiktok.

*other genders may, or may not be, available.

• Like 1

He's a sad old man, a failed manager, a forgotten average player, an excuse for a human being, and a talentless broadcaster trying to promote his podcast through shallow controversy, hoping that a few dinosaurs will agree with him and click on the bollocks he's pretending to believe, so he can get cash from advertisers.

That said, I'd rather the Barton family were doing this sort of grifting rather that committing racist murders.

So it's progress. 👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

He's a poor lamb. It's a conspiracy to get more women's voices on the commentary, doing him out a job. But that's all part of a bigger plan to then remove the women's voices on commentary to put on more ads, doing him out a job again. A double conspiracy, depriving him of a livelihood. A living that he'd be sure of getting...assuming people overlooked him being a bellend.

As mentioned above, there's already as little half time chat as possible, to fit more ads in. Ad revenue is even more sought after than ever. No conspiracy. They just want to make more money. It'll help to offset the cost of the rights for a start.

I imagine the Beeb can't believe their luck at the popularity of women's football. Lower cost rights; accessible players who interview well; Ticking as many diversity boxes as they've got; opportunities for lots of female pundits and commentators, who they will then mix across other platforms. No conspiracy there either. Cheaper, popular, diverse. Also allows them to make a lot more pace after decades of sexism too. Other broadcasters will be following the same route. The number of diverse appointments in recent times to offset what was there before has been covered elsewhere. And always good to be wary of the folk LD points out.

Good times for the shirt sponsors too. Making the most of their investment by having lots of WSL coverage.

I enjoy watching women's football. I'm as likely to watch a WSL game as a Premier League game, since we're not in it. I've learned which links are for men's and women's on the BBC site, and ignore the worst of the bandwagon jumping idiots, which everything has. I quite like having the extra coverage.

I don't mind female commentators, in that there's just as much range of quality, so overall just as annoying, as the male ones. I generally avoid as much as I can.

Would Barton do a better job than some of the commentators of either gender*? Maybe to probably. Are any of them toxic village idiots? Not that I know of. Which is why he's moaning on tiktok.

*other genders may, or may not be, available.

Are you suggesting the BBC is paying its female pundits less than their male counterparts?

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Are you suggesting the BBC is paying its female pundits less than their male counterparts?

🙂

I was meaning the rights were cheaper. Mind you, if there's a large influx of female presenters, they would presumably be earning less than their senior, and more male colleagues, creating just such a gender pay gap. Fast tracking will be underway.

15 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I wish he was right, but he’s not. It’s not about advertising or revenue the people who make decisions actually believe what they’re doing is right. They’re good people, they don’t care if viewing figures are down, they don’t care if they’ve ruined iconic shows, they’re just a bunch of soft arsed S🤡ggys who have politicised coverage of the game. 

What iconic shows have been ruined by women and what shows have women presenters caused the viewing figures to drop?

Is this the point where you scratch your balls sniff your fingers and offer up Football Focus, which hasn't been iconic show for the last 20 years.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

🙂

I was meaning the rights were cheaper. Mind you, if there's a large influx of female presenters, they would presumably be earning less than their senior, and more male colleagues, creating just such a gender pay gap. Fast tracking will be underway.

Just to confirm, are you saying that female commentators doing the same job are "junior" to their senior male colleagues?

On 22/02/2024 at 17:03, Turkish said:

What is right for the mens game is probably not the same as what is good for the womens game and what is good for the broadcasters. The rights to Womens football are much much much cheaper. Mens prem UK cost £6.7billion for next four years, so around £1.65bn per year. The Womens Super League cost £8m.  So its probably not so much an attempt to drive away viewers from mens football as about creating conditions to pay less for mens Prem League football by creating more competition and / or creating an audience for a cheaper sport.       

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Equality act says they must be paid the same, male or female for doing the same job.

Not sure you can have a junior or senior commentator - they both do the same job, talk bollocks about football!

Thats not how it works in 'talent' industries ie neither football or tv presenting. 

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Equality act says they must be paid the same, male or female for doing the same job.

Not sure you can have a junior or senior commentator - they both do the same job, talk bollocks about football!

When I was posting, I thinking of all of the Beeb mentions of senior political correspondent or senior royal correspondent. Taking that into football I'd take a senior football correspondent to be a different role to football correspondent. Same level of rubbish spoken about football, but keeping a role based pecking order, with the non-senior ones developing.

Likewise, a role could have a starting salary. But I'd not expect a new start to walk in on the same salary as the staff member who got the highest pay rise over 10 years of excellence, just for wage parity.