Female Football Pundits

AlexLaw76

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Barton has gone extreme, but the point he is raising is right.

He raises more than one point. He's right that Eluko is crap, that the push to get females involved in the women's game has gone too far, and that Neville has a view on everything. Not sure the war or Fred/Rose West references though,  and that Neville needs to be dragged into the way ITV dealt with Schofield though.

I didn't understand the Bury reference re Neville though and wandered of that was a more sinister insinuation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

He raises more than one point. He's right that Eluko is crap, that the push to get females involved in the women's game has gone too far, and that Neville has a view on everything. Not sure the war or Fred/Rose West references though,  and that Neville needs to be dragged into the way ITV dealt with Schofield though.

I didn't understand the Bury reference re Neville though and wandered of that was a more sinister insinuation. 

On Aluko. She is quite easily the worst pundit on TV / Radio. That is saying something.

It is quite obvious why she is front and centre at the moment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Barton has gone extreme, but the point he is raising is right.

There are shit pundits both male and female. When  the female pundits are shit though people think it is because they are women. Imagine if a woman behaved and said the same stuff as Micah Richards - be wailing from blokes saying she is spoiling their tv.

Loads of pundits on podcasts who are journalists and never played the game. Some like Daniel Storey are excellent. Don’t need to have played the game at highest level to be a pundit. I find the the ‘you woudl have headed that one in Trev’ <guffaw> ‘no heading was never my strong point’ <guffaw> dull.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, whelk said:

There are shit pundits both male and female. When  the female pundits are shit though people think it is because they are women. Imagine if a woman behaved and said the same stuff as Micah Richards - be wailing from blokes saying she is spoiling their tv.

Loads of pundits on podcasts who are journalists and never played the game. Some like Daniel Storey are excellent. Don’t need to have played the game at highest level to be a pundit. I find the the ‘you woudl have headed that one in Trev’ <guffaw> ‘no heading was never my strong point’ <guffaw> dull.

Garth Crooks, for example, has been slated for years for being shit.

Call them all out, but on the topic of the explosion of female pundits, call it out..many of them are crap, with Aluko in a whole league of her own. Even her comments away from matchdays being just laughable.

Edited by AlexLaw76

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Garth Crooks, for example, has been slated for years for being shit.

Call them all out, but on the topic of the explosion of female pundits, call it it..many of them are crap, with Aluko in a whole league of her own. Even her comments away from matchdays being just laughable.

Garth Crooks should have been removed years ago. Fucking useless. If Garth Crooks was a woman though it woudl absolutely be referenced as why she was so shit. It actually annoys me BBC pay him anything. 

it annoys me the integration of the women’s game and now SSN are showing press conferences of these unknown managers. I get some may like it and the argument of just don’t watch it then but there clearly is an agenda to force the promotion.

Slightly off topic but Pistorius yesterday - kept mentioning gender violence. What the fuck has gender got to do with it?

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

Barton has never been anything other than an absolute kn*bber, so I can't say I'm in any way interested in the crap he comes out with. TBH I don't really watch any punditry or analysis these days, it's all getting pretty inane and repetitive.

On the point of gender, I think if we had a debate about for e.g. COVID, with female professor of infectious disease, then got a bloke on who'd done GCSE biology to disagree with her, there'd be quite a few complaints about it, regardless of what was being said. 

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Garth Crooks should have been removed years ago. Fucking useless. If Garth Crooks was a woman though it woudl absolutely be referenced as why she was so shit. It actually annoys me BBC pay him anything. 

it annoys me the integration of the women’s game and now SSN are showing press conferences of these unknown managers. I get some may like it and the argument of just don’t watch it then but there clearly is an agenda to force the promotion.

Slightly off topic but Pistorius yesterday - kept mentioning gender violence. What the fuck has gender got to do with it?

Agree with that. Crooks is useless, but the quota box that he ticks is a no go zone, whereas one of the quota boxes that Aluko ticks is just about a go zone. She can (for the time being) be talked about whereas muppets like Richards and Crooks get a free pass.

On Pistorious, apparently there's a massive male to female violence (and killing) issue in South Africa. Pistorious got released very early and the issue was/is what sort of message does that send. I have no issue with it being raised as such, but its not an issue that we can do anything about over here. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Pistorious got released very early and the issue was/is what sort of message does that send. I have no issue with it being raised as such, but its not an issue that we can do anything about over here. 

He got released on Parole IAW SA law, 9 years into a 13 year sentence.

Not sure "very early" fits the bill or demonstrates some sort of massive injustice, given he was award a 13 year sentence.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not sure "very early" fits the bill or demonstrates some sort of massive injustice, given he was award a 13 year sentence.

Didn't realise it was only 13 years. I just noted the 9 years for murder which is a pathetic term. 

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Barton has never been anything other than an absolute kn*bber, so I can't say I'm in any way interested in the crap he comes out with. TBH I don't really watch any punditry or analysis these days, it's all getting pretty inane and repetitive.

On the point of gender, I think if we had a debate about for e.g. COVID, with female professor of infectious disease, then got a bloke on who'd done GCSE biology to disagree with her, there'd be quite a few complaints about it, regardless of what was being said. 

That is a poor analogy. Punditry ain’t a science where the viewer requires insight into something they know very little about. 

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Agree with that. Crooks is useless, but the quota box that he ticks is a no go zone, whereas one of the quota boxes that Aluko ticks is just about a go zone. She can (for the time being) be talked about whereas muppets like Richards and Crooks get a free pass.

On Pistorious, apparently there's a massive male to female violence (and killing) issue in South Africa. Pistorious got released very early and the issue was/is what sort of message does that send. I have no issue with it being raised as such, but its not an issue that we can do anything about over here. 

I wasn’t aware of that. Agree though sentence is joke for a psycho killer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The “massive injustice” is that he should have been given a life sentence and should be nowhere near a release after just nine years. Shoot your partner several times through a locked door and you serve 9 years with an anger management course at the end of it is beyond ridiculous.

As for Joey Barton, he is just another character in the mould of Laurence Fox with psychopathic tendencies   thrown in. There have always been good and bad male pundits. Now there are good and bad female pundits too. Big deal, but if it winds up the misogynists who believe that women can’t do “a man’s job”, then great!

It's not a "man's job" but the fact is that women's football and men's football are played at vastly different levels to the extent that experience of playing or managing one does not give relevant experience of the other. That said, as bad as Aluko is as a pundit, she's more qualified to comment on men's football than you are to opine about Barton's mental health. 

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The “massive injustice” is that he should have been given a life sentence and should be nowhere near a release after just nine years. Shoot your partner several times through a locked door and you serve 9 years with an anger management course at the end of it is beyond ridiculous.

As for Joey Barton, he is just another character in the mould of Laurence Fox with psychopathic tendencies   thrown in. There have always been good and bad male pundits. Now there are good and bad female pundits too. Big deal, but if it winds up the misogynists who believe that women can’t do “a man’s job”, then great!

24 minutes ago, whelk said:

That is a poor analogy. Punditry ain’t a science where the viewer requires insight into something they know very little about. 

You get the point though, it’s very much a one way argument. A bunch of male Sunday league players analysing the women’s WC on BBC/ITV would not be tolerated.

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

I wasn’t aware of that. Agree though sentence is joke for a psycho killer. 

It a ridiculous sentence for a murderer. Reva’s poor family, it only feels like yesterday he was being sentenced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Joey Barton has lost the plot on this. He referenced Rose and Fred West when talking about Eno Eluko and Lucy Ward, and has since had cracks at Union Berlin referencing the wars, Itv bringing up Phil Schofield, and Gary Neville talking about "grooming" and "noncing". It's mor entertaining than the pundits he's talking about to be fair - worth a look. 

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1743175947514515819?s=20

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1743206615913009231?s=20

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1743205584693010516?s=20

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1743335074463170928?s=20

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1743529495783747668?s=20

This isn’t going to end well for him, frigging hilarious though. Surely he’s been on the piss whilst on holiday or something? 🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

This isn’t going to end well for him, frigging hilarious though. Surely he’s been on the piss whilst on holiday or something? 🤣🤣

Scumbag from scumbag family. Racist murderer brother and if it wasn’t for football this angry little cunt would probably be doing similar and not quoting Sartre and Nietzsche in his attempt to be seen as a philosopher. Reverting to type now

• Like 1

Mens football is for everyone, I don’t get this argument that because you don’t want to see a dopey bird analyst, you’re somehow trying to keep the game male dominated & them out of it.

I can’t believe anyone can have a problem when a bird presents football  shows.

In principle commentators can be either sex, but there just aren’t any birds that are tolerable to listen to. It’s not sexist, but just like I wouldn’t want to listen to Brian Blessed or Alan Carr commentary, I’m yet to hear a bird doing so that doesn’t have me reaching for the mute button.

Where Barton is spot on is in the analysis. Personally, if I want him a championship game, I want somebody who has played or managed at that level as co commentator or analyst, same with premier league, champions league etc. Its not sexist, I wouldn’t want Reg, the dog and duck centre half pointing out where Harry McGuire is going wrong. There’s absolutely no need to bring Fred & Rose into it, that devalues his argument. But his basic point is 100% right. There is an agenda, and it’s not going away. I take the option that will be becoming more and more popular. I turn it on for the start of the game & turn it off at half time and the end. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Mens football is for everyone, I don’t get this argument that because you don’t want to see a dopey bird analyst, you’re somehow trying to keep the game male dominated & them out of it.

I can’t believe anyone can have a problem when a bird presents football  shows.

In principle commentators can be either sex, but there just aren’t any birds that are tolerable to listen to. It’s not sexist, but just like I wouldn’t want to listen to Brian Blessed or Alan Carr commentary, I’m yet to hear a bird doing so that doesn’t have me reaching for the mute button.

Where Barton is spot on is in the analysis. Personally, if I want him a championship game, I want somebody who has played or managed at that level as co commentator or analyst, same with premier league, champions league etc. Its not sexist, I wouldn’t want Reg, the dog and duck centre half pointing out where Harry McGuire is going wrong. There’s absolutely no need to bring Fred & Rose into it, that devalues his argument. But his basic point is 100% right. There is an agenda, and it’s not going away. I take the option that will be becoming more and more popular. I turn it on for the start of the game & turn it off at half time and the end. 

Yep the whole point is that it’s meant to be expert analysis. We keep being told it’s a different game and you can’t compare the two whenever we see anything negative about women’s football so why is it that they’ll allowed to give expert analysis on it?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

can someone explain what the Rose and Fred west reference is? Although it’s amusing I’m not really sure how it’s relevant 

I can only assume he's suggesting that they're killing the televised game or some such. Utterly pathetic what he posted though. 

Just now, Turkish said:

Yep the whole point is that it’s meant to be expert analysis. We keep being told it’s a different game and you can’t compare the two whenever we see anything negative about women’s football so why is it that they’ll allowed to give expert analysis on it?

I don’t know how the have the “balls” to give their opinions when sat next to some brilliant players, id be intimidated knowing I was a shite player. I also love the way some of those players go ott with their responses to what the birds say. Jamie Redknapp is by far the worst “good point”, & nodding like a fucking dog when they say anything. They maybe getting better for all I know, because the last couple of weeks the off button is deployed when they’re on. Luckily, I don’t miss the analysis of the big games, because if you notice on sky, the big games tend to be blokes only. 

If you ever watch or listen to the Stick to Football show, you may think it is very good (I do).

Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Roy Keane and Ian Wright. Of course, many weeks, they will have Jill Scott, who adds almost nothing and is clearly out of place amongst the discussion

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t miss the analysis of the big games, because if you notice on sky, the big games tend to be blokes only. 

There you go. Big game on itv today and no bird to be seen.

Strange isn’t it, almost as if deep down they know blokes that have played the mens game are better analysts. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

On Aluko. She is quite easily the worst pundit on TV / Radio. That is saying something.

It is quite obvious why she is front and centre at the moment.

She ticks all the boxes for the wokes. A massive chip on her shoulder.

Make commos get on my nerves as well , a player shoots and he screams Salah, Or who ever makes the shot.

I tune into a match 30 seconds before kick off.

From what I've seen, SKY have have abandoned half time punditry to get more ads in. If it's any other platform, I'm off to make a cup of tea.

I turn off right after the match. There are plenty of replays as part of the in-match coverage.

On the rare occassion I catch MotD, it's on Iplayer and I fast forward past all the punditry.

I'll invariably catch bits and pieces. But the reason for trying to avoid the above, is the lack of quality in the punditry. From what I've accidentally caught, I've not found any of it enlightening/ informative.

That leaves the in-match pundit and the radio punditry. I'd be happier listening to the crowd noise than the first, and the radio is more concerned with them having a chat/ flogging their podcasts than giving any sense of what's going on in the match.

There are exceptions, but it would have been all-bloke punditry that formed my views on all of that. I can't imagine a switch of the gender of pundit making it any less informative than it was.

I don't really follow the names to remember which ones I dislike most. Clinton Morrison holds a special place, for not being able to complete a sentence on the radio. But then, there was a rush to get ethnic diversity in at the same time as gender diversity (with so long being sexist, racist and elitist, lots of catching up for a lot of broadcasters to do). So, that could be part of that. He's probably not even the worst, just the one I remember.

One of the most insightful bits of commentary was from a female pundit, who was struggling until she abandoned the media training (which I think might actually be why a lot of them are rubbish IMO) and gave a tactical breakdown of what she was seeing.

Barton is just after attention.

We've had decades of terrible pundits that he had no problem with...ignore him, he's still a moron, but at least he isn't a racist murderer so we must give him credit for that.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

BBC following itv’s lead.

Their biggest game, Arsenal V Liverpool. Male only pundits, co commentary & presenter. Saving the birds for Burnley v Fulham I guess. 

Is there any seniority system at play, where certain people will be in the pool for bigger games?

The Beeb used to have someone cover the England internationals on the radio. He clearly thought the friendlies were a waste of time, and would never fail to let listeners know about it before each game. But, as he was senior whatever, he was always there. No doubt a position he was keen to make sure he kept for the other internationals. You'd think the employers would just decide. But there may be some contractual things, as well as all the newer people having to work up to being in that pool. Just a thought.

12 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Is there any seniority system at play, where certain people will be in the pool for bigger games?

The Beeb used to have someone cover the England internationals on the radio. He clearly thought the friendlies were a waste of time, and would never fail to let listeners know about it before each game. But, as he was senior whatever, he was always there. No doubt a position he was keen to make sure he kept for the other internationals. You'd think the employers would just decide. But there may be some contractual things, as well as all the newer people having to work up to being in that pool. Just a thought.

I'd love to see the contracts from the BBC that state certain men are more senior / more important than women.

Massive can of worms if true.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'd love to see the contracts from the BBC that state certain men are more senior / more important than women.

Massive can of worms if true.

Good point. I was thinking more of tenure and development. Beeb often have senior tiddlywinks correspondent etc. No reason why anyone can't get hired to a senior position. But that might cause some issues, if they are clearly not ready for it.

Certainly shouldn't be long before all the games will have a different mix, with those that have been doing well, getting fast tracked.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just heard an interview on the radio with Jill Scott talking about how she and Gary Neville swopped Twitter accounts. The knuckle draggers told Neville (as Scott) that he should get back in the kitchen and she (as him) was treated more seriously. 
Priceless. There must have been a few red faces (as opposed to gammon) down at the local ale houses when they revealed the rouse. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/14/get-back-into-the-kitchen-what-happened-when-jill-scott-and-gary-neville-swapped-social-media-accounts

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

31 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I’ve just heard an interview on the radio with Jill Scott talking about how she and Gary Neville swopped Twitter accounts. The knuckle draggers told Neville (as Scott) that he should get back in the kitchen and she (as him) was treated more seriously. 
Priceless. There must have been a few red faces (as opposed to gammon) down at the local ale houses when they revealed the rouse. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/14/get-back-into-the-kitchen-what-happened-when-jill-scott-and-gary-neville-swapped-social-media-accounts

How the long winter nights must just fly by.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

i doubt anyone gave a shit SOG. 

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i doubt anyone gave a shit SOG. 

I disagree and haven’t read the article but same with pundits to a degree. Shit ones are shit ones because they are a women. Posted above about Carragher talking bollocks but fuck me if that was Karen Cairny saying same then there would be loads saying cos she doesn’t understand the men’s game

1 minute ago, whelk said:

I disagree and haven’t read the article but same with pundits to a degree. Shit ones are shit ones because they are a women. Posted above about Carragher talking bollocks but fuck me if that was Karen Cairny saying same then there would be loads saying cos she doesn’t understand the men’s game

i meant no one gave a shit in the "alehouse" and there were no "red faces" as SOG put it

I agree with your comments, Alex Scott is a good pundit, Gaby Logan is and always has been an excellent presenter despite never having played football. Saying they dont understand the mens game is a bit of a kop out, people should just say they are shit. 

Agree with an earlier post that Gabby Logan is excellent, she's there on merit and is one of the best sports presenters IMO male or female. I dislike some of the female presenters who have constant smile on their face as if they're presenting The Masked Singer (fuck me that show is awful). Football is a serious business love, stop grinning like a cheshire cat FFS.

18 hours ago, iansums said:

Agree with an earlier post that Gabby Logan is excellent, she's there on merit and is one of the best sports presenters IMO male or female. I dislike some of the female presenters who have constant smile on their face as if they're presenting The Masked Singer (fuck me that show is awful). Football is a serious business love, stop grinning like a cheshire cat FFS.

i cant think of anyone better. She's to the point, doesn't talk bollocks and very articulate. The fact that she's also very attractive helps too 🙂

On 24/01/2024 at 16:57, iansums said:

Kate Abdo? There on merit for me, and certainly adds something.