Mel Blyth

VectisSaint

23 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Mel Blyth, class act and one of McMenemy’s first thirtysomething ‘leader’ signings. Cost us just £60k and player of the season in his debut season. Great paired with Jimmy Steele. RIP Mel. 

This is perhaps overlooked when thinking about his contribution to the club. After relegation in 1974 we were expected to bounce back with Channon and Osgood leading the charge, but looked defensively frail in the early weeks at times.

In September Lawrie signed Mel Blyth and the defence started to improve. In hindsight he was the first signing to transform us from a relegated team to Cup Winners.

I’ve got a nagging recollection that he signed the day we played and beat Pompey 2-1 at The Dell ( recall picture of him signing that morning appearing in the Sports Echo). Perhaps Fitzhugh will confirm or correct me if not the case.

If it was that day then timing couldn’t have been better as Jim Steele was sent off and suspended for a couple of games. 

• Like 1

The 76 side are and will always be heroes in any Saints fans eyes that were young enough to witness that incredible day in May 1976 when the much fancied Man United were humbled by Division 2 Saints. I was only 11 years old at the time but my god i can remember that day and the next day waiting for my heroes outside the Saints pub in Millbrook like they were only yesterday.

RIP Mel and thank you for making a kids dream come true.

• Like 4